Can I Go to a NHL Game? Could It Make My Tinnitus Worse?

Freddy74

Author
Oct 20, 2021
Tinnitus Since
March 2019
Cause of Tinnitus
loud dj
Hi there, I'm new to forum. Age 47.

Did not protect ears well in 80s, concerts, using small firearms without protection, fireworks... It seemed no one knew back then, and at least I certainly didn't.

Discovered a mild genetic hearing defect left ear during a random hearing test about age 22 (two separate audiologists independently said pattern consistent with genetic).

Then later that year what I believe was a stress induced tinnitus in left ear, went away during a course of steroids from ENT, lasted maybe a week, but cannot say it was the steroids that helped.

Ever since then, wore earplugs for all concerts and loud events.

Except one time (March 2019) I did not think of it when a loud DJ was playing in a focal spot in a large indoor area. Many other people there, including a friend the entire time who had absolutely no trouble the next day or ever after.

I had bilateral tinnitus the next day that has never left.

Been through all the usual treatments which can be discussed at another time.

Eventually it faded quite a bit, still very annoying, still sleeping with fan on etc. but it did not bother me as much for maybe a year or two.

Now, most recent 7 weeks maybe a little more noise exposure as part of life, also some long car rides, and the tinnitus has had a definite uptick that had me stressed enough to go back to audiologist, schedule with a psychologist, etc.

Anyway, all that is just some background.

Question: For years have been planning attending an opening night NHL game for a certain brand new NHL franchise with friends. That game is now approaching. I was planning to go with my Xmas tree NRR 16 ear plugs. Audiologist says this is okay.

Is this true? Should I be going to this game or should I cancel? Think about pucks hitting glass, goal horns, loud music, crowd roar. I value your expertise or thoughts here.

Thank you!

Hi @Freddy74.

I've seen a few similar questions pop up recently and I think it's very much a personal decision. I'd listen to your body too - if such environments cause ear pain currently then I'd avoid them in the short term. You'll likely get a few responses landing in each camp.

If you've been planning this for years then I'd be inclined to go. However, I'd invest in some custom moulded musicians earplugs with a higher protection rating - they're expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I've got a pair which I carry with me.

I hope your recent spike starts to quieten down a bit.

Hi @Freddy74.

I think ...
pucks hitting glass, goal horns, loud music, crowd roar.
... answers the question; I'd advise you not to go. Those environments can be really loud. Even those with "healthy ears" can feel it's too loud.

Wish you well,
Stacken

If you're 47, you shouldn't be bothered by looking like a fool :)

So buy some earmuffs that don't look to goofy then I say you can go :)

AND no one will see the plugs underneath if you feel crazy :D

Goal horns...? :O

That sounds like a dealbreaker...
Well, it's loud. But how loud is it at the ear level of most spectators? 100 dB? 90 dB? It is very brief so I believe it wouldn't do damage, especially with earplugs on. I would be more scared of foghorns used by nearby spectators.

All things considered, I think it would be safe to go with properly inserted quality earplugs (preferably custom moulded ones or foam ones, which stay well in place).

Although, personally I wouldn't go because all theses noises (and thus the fear of a potential permanent impact on the tinnitus) would make me uncomfortable and would ruin my experience.

PS : Welcome to the forum!

I would absolutely go. Just make sure your ears are well protected. I still go to events like that but I wear my musicians earplugs. Some foam ones have even higher protection in terms of the decibel decrease you get.

For years have been planning attending an opening night NHL game for a certain brand new NHL franchise with friends. That game is now approaching. I was planning to go with my Xmas tree NRR 16 ear plugs. Audiologist says this is okay.

Is this true? Should I be going to this game or should I cancel? Think about pucks hitting glass, goal horns, loud music, crowd roar. I value your expertise or thoughts here.
Dude, if you decide to go, you should at least use some proper hearing protection. Foam earplugs, correctly inserted, is the best there is. (Google for usage instructions.) Combining with a pair of bulky earmuffs is recommended.

You won't know until afterwards if going was okay or not. That's why I would have skipped out on it.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now