• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Challenging the Current Terminology of Hyperacusis

So presumably loudness hyperacusis is only exacerbated by external sounds whereas pain hyperacusis appears to flare up due to the invasive quality of external sounds as well as internal events such as chemical reactions in the body, movement and other things the body experiences as threatening in one way or another? Pain being a response to a traumatic condition in the body, an alarm that unfortunately many of us can also literally 'hear' in the form of tinnitus. Just a thought.

I don't like the word 'feeling' since it can be interpreted as a psychological response, an emotional experience, or a corporeal sensation. I definitely experience sounds as invasive and piercing and the higher frequencies are worse, but it seems to be about the induction of pain rather than an annoyance or sensory overwhelm (though as someone with fibromyalgia, I've always been prone to sensory overwhelm so perhaps in my case it's part and parcel of the same thing). Yet the pain hyperacusis is really present 24/7 and a set back is one during which something exacerabates both the H and the tinnitus (the tinnitus seems to come first and is followed by a sensation that reminds me of a dentist's drill). Not sure the world seems like a louder place than before - I haven't really exposed myself to it since my hyperacusis and tinnitus deteriorated. I do seem to notice that my cat's voice is less intolerable than mechanical sounds. Small speakers are terrible due to the tinny, more high frequency, quality of the sound. But not everyone has more of a problem with high frequencies than lower ones.

It would seem to me that in most cases, people have an experience of loudness before they experience the pain, rather like a red flag to the system that they should try and save themselves before it's too late and damage has been done. Perhaps for a lot of people with pain hyperacusis, this response is on constant high alert and so over time you can't really tell which is which. However, I appreciate that brains are complicated and that there are variations on the theme.

I suspect something is different about how sound is produced in from small digital speakers to produce the whole range of sound. Whatever happens with that digital conversion is what is irritating people's hyperacusis with speakerphones & other laptop type speakers. I wish there was a sound engineer on hand to explain the difference from a technical standpoint, then maybe we could point to that difference causing the problem.
I have some audio engineering experience which was an avenue I catastrophically lost to my cement ears. Small digital speakers are more irritating because not only are they biased to the high end, but they aren't capable of producing the full spectrum of sound at all. It's like an MP3 file where the highs are clipped off and thus distorted, and there's no bass to mask the baths of high overtones, and no "air" in the sound to balance it out.

I'm enjoying the discussions going on here, definitely one of the higher quality Tinnitus Talk threads I've read in a while.

I share @Zugzug's distaste of gatekeeping hyperacusis, or in other words competing in the suffering Olympics. I myself have been guilty of doing this in the past but now realize that both subtypes are equally disabling. None of this is helped by audiologists, ENTs, and shills trying to pass the condition off as purely psychological and limbic while ignoring their patient's very real experiences. I suppose there's not much they can do to help us, but education would be a great start.

Zugzug I am very interested in your case because I believe an autoimmune chronic illness is the culprit for my case as well. Although I have noxacusis, my experience also tells me that loudness and pain hyperacusis are distinct etiologies and just shows how shitty the medical literature and terminology regarding this condition is.

Just wondering, since your LDLs are catastrophically similar to mine, are sounds *actually* louder to you? I'm familiar with that "tickling the amygdala" sensation. Do you also have any middle ear problems as well? I read you had problems with vertigo as well, which I have too, I had vertigo badly before my hyperacusis, it then settled but I now have it badly again.
It would be interesting if our problems are similar because believe me, it's not common lol. In fact, it's so rare that I have not (yet) found a single human being on the internet with a hyperacusis presentation that's similar.

So more details. By far, the most likely disease that I have is Sjogren's Syndrome. I am getting tested for a biopsy soon.

I never had "vertigo". What happened is shortly after I moved to my new house and my stressful year ended, my disease (which used to be mostly pain, fatigue, and dryness) flared up. But instead of the usual symptoms, my pain stopped. Instead, I developed tinnitus and balance problems with super minor hyperacusis. Within days, the balance problems progressed to the point where I felt like I was on a boat 24/7. However, it wasn't vertigo. If I sat still and didn't move my head, I had basically no symptoms. It was clearly some sort of issue of calculating balance based on bodily positioning.

Anyways, over time the loudness hyperacusis and tinnitus got a lot worse and the balance problems actually 100% went away. It doesn't really matter what I do. I've tried sound therapy, no sound whatsoever (I don't work and live in a quiet home). It just gets worse and worse.

At my very worst, when my LDLs were let's just say "unmeasurable". With earplugs and earmuffs on, I couldn't tolerate ANY sound. I mean my own breathing, my own chewing, anything at all. My doctor finally caved and put me on steroids. I improved by about 20-25% within a month and then completely leveled off. My suspicion is that the steroids worked for inflammation, but then I ran into permanent damage. It behaves like permanent damage in the sense that it fluctuates some, but the highs are uniformly lower over months.

There was suspicion that I may have AIED, but there are some notable differences. For one, AIED is often super rapid, bilateral but asymmetrical. My disease progression is pretty different. It's slow, constant, perfect symmetry on both sides. With AIED, what tends to happen is that hair cells die in "drops" very suddenly. This makes sense because we don't have that many hair cells so once the immune system attacks, things die quickly.

I am totally perplexed as to what exactly is damaged with me. I think there's a chance my hair cells are normal because when I listen to music, it's undoable and largely a total no-go, but the frequencies and characters are normal (i.e. no distortions). It seems like I'm almost 2 years into this so hair cell death would start affecting the character of noises by now.

My belief is that I have auditory nerve damage from Sjogren's. This is because of several reasons. One is that Sjogren's syndrome commonly has a neurological presentation, particularly at the beginning. Also, importantly, during my first flare up 6 years ago, my main symptom was neuropathy.

I don't think AIED is ruled out, but I think it's more likely that the hyperacusis is an autoimmune disorder that is different.

I know that was long-winded. I am curious about your distortions and how you developed it. Oh and to answer your question, yes sounds are actually a lot louder. It's not middle ear pathology either.

I share @Zugzug's distaste of gatekeeping hyperacusis, or in other words competing in the suffering Olympics. I myself have been guilty of doing this in the past but now realize that both subtypes are equally disabling.
I definitely have the tendency to want to gatekeep as well. Maybe not so much with type, but with severity. It's hard and it's not fair. I remember when I had high LDLs and even that was unbelievably torturous. I think the medical community has fucked with our heads and "left it to us" to come out on top or something to be heard. It's not right. Hell, even people that are 100% shills for TRT are still sufferers. In a just world, there would be so much understanding of this condition that it wouldn't matter what someone thought.

I'm enjoying the discussions going on here, definitely one of the higher quality Tinnitus Talk threads I've read in a while.

I share @Zugzug's distaste of gatekeeping hyperacusis, or in other words competing in the suffering Olympics. I myself have been guilty of doing this in the past but now realize that both subtypes are equally disabling. None of this is helped by audiologists, ENTs, and shills trying to pass the condition off as purely psychological and limbic while ignoring their patient's very real experiences. I suppose there's not much they can do to help us, but education would be a great start.
It's hard to resist the urge to not "gatekeep" when you have people that come in and say stuff like, "I have severe pain hyperacusis, I went into the city and the police fired off multiple gunshots next to me and I was completely cured" lol. I also try to be conscious of this though and not diminish anyone's suffering.

Pain is such a subjective term too. Like some describe pain as that brain pounding sensation where for others pain is in the form of burning or stabbing so often it's hard to follow stories. This isn't to say that one "pain" is worse or more qualified to be called pain.

This is just where I can see having different names for the symptoms/conditions as being useful.

It's hard to resist the urge to not "gatekeep" when you have people that come in and say stuff like, "I have severe pain hyperacusis, I went into the city and the police fired off multiple gunshots next to me and I was completely cured" lol. I also try to be conscious of this though and not diminish anyone's suffering.

Pain is such a subjective term too. Like some describe pain as that brain pounding sensation where for others pain is in the form of burning or stabbing so often it's hard to follow stories. This isn't to say that one "pain" is worse or more qualified to be called pain.

This is just where I can see having different names for the symptoms/conditions as being useful.
Yeah, I agree. You know, it's funny kind of, and I'm sure you can relate to this. I've had difficult and rare medical problems for so long that I completely forgot it was even a thing to just turn yourself over to a doctor and know nothing about what's happening. Of course, there are really serious diseases where this is the case, but hyperacusis has this odd dynamic where the patients really are the experts. The patients who give bad advice are like doctors who flunked out of medical school. It's a really fucked up dynamic. And doctors HATE when patients blow them off, but sure enough, a lot of time the most help is found on medical forums.

Yeah, I agree. You know, it's funny kind of, and I'm sure you can relate to this. I've had difficult and rare medical problems for so long that I completely forgot it was even a thing to just turn yourself over to a doctor and know nothing about what's happening. Of course, there are really serious diseases where this is the case, but hyperacusis has this odd dynamic where the patients really are the experts. The patients who give bad advice are like doctors who flunked out of medical school. It's a really fucked up dynamic. And doctors HATE when patients blow them off, but sure enough, a lot of time the most help is found on medical forums.
I can't remember but did you ever have digestive issues when all this started?

I can't remember but did you ever have digestive issues when all this started?
My very first symptom, 6 years ago and long before hyperacusis, was a constant, dull stomach cramp. This lasted for a few months before the bodily pain started. I also have had GERD my whole life, which has gotten worse since the illness. Thankfully, I don't have IBS. Really, my only other main GI symptom is a slightly dryer GI tract.

My very first symptom, 6 years ago and long before hyperacusis, was a constant, dull stomach cramp. This lasted for a few months before the bodily pain started. I also have had GERD my whole life, which has gotten worse since the illness. Thankfully, I don't have IBS. Really, my only other main GI symptom is a slightly dryer GI tract.
Ok. Thanks. This may not at all be relevant to you but apparently SIBO is related to both GERD and Sjogren's type symptoms.

About a decade ago, I had an episode of pretty extreme food poisoning and developed post infectious IBS and, a few months later, a Sjogrens type symptoms. My mouth, eyes and digestive track were exceptionally dry (too much information maybe but affected the "women parts" as well).

At the time, I tested negative for Sjogren's (blood test only). The weird part is my saliva production was technically normal on the saliva test but my mouth felt powdery constantly. My eyes were so dry and irritated that I actually got blurry vision from it but I did a Schirmer's tear test on myself at work and it was normal.

Thankfully, I had a pretty astute gastroenterologist who eventually diagnosed me with SIBO secondary to the food poisoning and treated me with Xifaxan (which I wouldn't take now because of the non zero chance of ototoxicity but it was fine then). I was told it would likely fix the IBS (it did) but I didn't expect it to help with the dryness. But after two weeks, i was back to 100% normal after a 7 month ordeal.

I bring this up for a few reasons. One is, if you don't get a firm diagnosis of Sjogren's (or even if you do, as SIBO can make it worse), it might be something to look in to. It's interesting that Prednisone helped but had a ceiling effect as it can help with the bowel inflammation as well (but long term could make SIBO worse).

How could this be related to hearing issues?

Two possibilities: excess immune stimulation and malabsorption. You could be low on things like Magnesium (which are very hard to test for since blood levels are tightly conserved and intracellular concentrations give you a more accurate picture).

All of this could of course be totally irrelevant but it's just another t/i to cross/dot and I would hate to not mention something that could potentially help.

Ok. Thanks. This may not at all be relevant to you but apparently SIBO is related to both GERD and Sjogren's type symptoms.

About a decade ago, I had an episode of pretty extreme food poisoning and developed post infectious IBS and, a few months later, a Sjogrens type symptoms. My mouth, eyes and digestive track were exceptionally dry (too much information maybe but affected the "women parts" as well).

At the time, I tested negative for Sjogren's (blood test only). The weird part is my saliva production was technically normal on the saliva test but my mouth felt powdery constantly. My eyes were so dry and irritated that I actually got blurry vision from it but I did a Schirmer's tear test on myself at work and it was normal.

Thankfully, I had a pretty astute gastroenterologist who eventually diagnosed me with SIBO secondary to the food poisoning and treated me with Xifaxan (which I wouldn't take now because of the non zero chance of ototoxicity but it was fine then). I was told it would likely fix the IBS (it did) but I didn't expect it to help with the dryness. But after two weeks, i was back to 100% normal after a 7 month ordeal.

I bring this up for a few reasons. One is, if you don't get a firm diagnosis of Sjogren's (or even if you do, as SIBO can make it worse), it might be something to look in to. It's interesting that Prednisone helped but had a ceiling effect as it can help with the bowel inflammation as well (but long term could make SIBO worse).

How could this be related to hearing issues?

Two possibilities: excess immune stimulation and malabsorption. You could be low on things like Magnesium (which are very hard to test for since blood levels are tightly conserved and intracellular concentrations give you a more accurate picture).

All of this could of course be totally irrelevant but it's just another t/i to cross/dot and I would hate to not mention something that could potentially help.
This is a good thought. I've already tried elimination diets, antibiotic protocols, etc. and they didn't really do anything. I scheduled a lip biopsy, but had to push it back because steroids impact the results. I am very much not looking forward to it. Not the procedure itself, which will probably be a 15 minute cakewalk, but the process of driving hours into the city and back. I haven't been in a car in almost a year. I'm going to have to sound proof the car, wear double protection, and pop some Xanax probably.

I dread the idea of it being negative because even though I'll still think I have a different autoimmune disorder, I won't have any objective evidence for disability, as well as having something tangible and objective to tell my family.

I am a huge proponent of modifying the definition of hyperacusis to include and distinguish several different hearing problems (pain, loudness, facial nerve paralysis etc.), but nothing we say matters.

Important scientists like Fuchs and Liberman and individuals like Bryan Pollard are paving the way, but it will take a long time.

Pain hyperacusis has historically been super stigmatized and even insinuating that it didn't exist. Although I don't have pain hyperacusis, I have had chronic pain for years and I've seen dozens of doctors tell me it's more or less in my head.
*clown horn noises intensifies

I'm going to have to sound proof the car, wear double protection, and pop some Xanax probably.
How are you going to soundproof the car? My partner has engineering friends who might help us effectively soundproof a car as much as physically possible. If it's an electric car it'll probably be way easier...

Apologies to everyone for not replying sooner. It's kind of hard to stay on top of all threads at times and I was putting this one on the back burner as there were so many people I wanted to reply to.

@FGG

So your symptoms are very similar to those I've had since day 1. My whole jaw radiates with pain from sound, but just like you it is always delayed. I know @serendipity1996 has the same issue and it's something we've spoken about extensively. I personally subscribe to the idea that this is a secondary symptom of pain hyperacusis involving some kind of trigeminal neuralgia. My symptoms in this regard tend to improve if I just avoid sound entirely, but it can sometimes take days to weeks to recover from a trigeminal neuralgia setback. I also sometimes get headaches and I think any kind of facial pain would fall under the trigeminal neuralgia umbrella.

When people say they have pain hyperacusis though, I don't assume they necessarily have these symptoms. My first thought when someone says they have pain hyperacusis is that they feel instant, short-term pain, like being stabbed in the ear, from sound (which is what I experience). This pain ends when the stimulus ends, which is why I pressed the question about Liberman's definition of annoyance hyperacusis (the "discomfort" ending when the stimulus ends). I should say that though that depending on the severity and length of the sound, this short-term pain may be replaced by a dull, sore pain. Additionally, the ear itself becomes temporarily more sensitive – my LDL becomes immediately lowered. And usually trigeminal neuralgia follows within hours if not minutes.

Also, I have had some fluttering as well, which was at its worst in the very beginning and has improved substantially with time. I know some others experience some kind of ear "burning". I've only experienced this once and if I had to describe it, I would say it felt like the burning was more in my ear canal than in the middle or inner ear.

I also experience a range of emotional/psychological symptoms as well, and I'll come on to those more when I reply to @Zugzug.

Our symptoms obviously raise a lot of questions regarding the pathology here. My understanding is that the trigeminal nerve innervates the middle ear, so to your point it would suggest that the muscles in the middle ear are being overworked and there's some kind of dysfunction going on. I should say though that I came across a study which suggested the TGN may also innervate the cochlea. I'd need to find it as I don't recall seeing any other research to back this claim up.

Finally, in the interests of exchanging notes, I've also had my fair share of spinal problems. I have some slight degeneration in one of my lower disks that is pinching on my spinal cord that has given me chronic back pain for years and I also have chronic neck strain from excessive computer use.

@__nico__
We are in the dark ages. Jastreboff and the sound therapy dogma has caused irreparable damage. We need to radically and specifically define our etiologies, especially to the medical world, to make up for the damage done, so that they know the right questions to ask
Agreed, and this is very much why I started this thread, just to get a conversation going.

@Zugzug

Obviously my initial post touched a nerve and I'm sorry again for that. What I was trying to get across was that my symptoms of what I call "pain" seem to fit in well with Liberman's description of what he calls "annoyance": the discomfort ending when the stimulus ends. I just find this interesting because I would argue that "discomfort" can be interpreted to be some kind of degree of pain where both discomfort and pain sit on the same spectrum, just in different places. Additionally, pain hyperacusis, rightly or wrongly, is defined to occur in those who don't experience normal LDL thresholds of 120dB, and LDL of course stands for loudness discomfort level. So it would appear then to me that the researchers themselves are kind of using these definitions and terms interchangeably and I find it very confusing. We need more clarity, and I think that can only be achieved by us all here discussing further.

Having said all this, my reading of your symptoms tells me that we may indeed have the same thing, although it does sound like you have it a lot worse. But I just want to focus on some your wording.
"It's a direct stimulation of the amygdala. It literally feels like the sound is tickling the amygdala and making it go nuts directly"
I totally get this. Whenever I hear a sound that puts me in "discomfort" let's say, I want to run a million miles away, suggesting then that my flight or fight mode is kicking in. And just like you, it's not as if I immediately calm down and feel ok once the sound is over. My heart rate goes up and I'm stressed as hell, wondering what damage may have been done, waiting for the trigeminal neuralgia to kick in.

This is why I was using the word "feel" as opposed to "sounds", because this was my way (and perhaps it was a poor choice of words) of trying to describe the emotional reaction I experience, even though objectively speaking I know the sound isn't any louder. I realise we're talking about subjective experience of loudness, but does it sound louder (to me personally)? I'm very torn about how to answer this in my personal case. On the one hand, yes it does, because my acoustic reflex kicks in with sounds of much lower volumes than before and I feel that instant stab of the ear (what I call pain hyperacusis, but maybe it is actually loudness/annoyance??). But at the same time, it doesn't sound like I've got a bucket over my head, nor do my footsteps sound like King Kong or Godzilla when I'm walking around. But having a bucket over my head pre-hyperacusis, although certainly loud, would never have caused the emotional experience I have now, because I wasn't feeling that immediate stab of the ears. If I were to use an analogy from audio engineering (I'm going to make another post about this soon), it's almost as if my ears natural compressor/limiter is broken.

It's very hard to describe what I'm saying here. Perhaps @serendipity1996 can help me out with this, but I just want people to cast their minds back to their lives pre-hyperacusis and think of a moment when you were exposed to something you knew was very loud. As a though experiment, how would you describe your physiological/emotional experience then compared to now? I hope you take these comments in the spirit of good debate, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to play down or gatekeep loudness hyperacusis at all because I think I myself may well have it. I'm just trying to understand what we're all going through and where we are similar and where we deviate, because I'm wondering whether people like me and you are experiencing the same thing but using different terminology to describe our symptoms.

I just want to make another point about the amygdala. I have read cases of war veterans with PTSD developing hyperacusis. It's interesting to me that I developed hyperacusis shortly after my father committed suicide, which has left me with my own PTSD issues. We know that the amygdala volume increases in PTSD patients and the hippocampus shrinks, so this is definitely something that has weighed on my mind for a while and what role the amygdala may play in some sufferers.

@Orions Pain

I hope I just answered your question about what I mean by "feels" above. I wouldn't say it feels like the kind of pressure one experiences when one is under water, but it does feel maybe like someone has just prodded my ear with a Q-tip, causing some kind of mechanical pressure that's instantly relieved when the stimulus ends.

@Diesel

Similarly to you and others I also deal much better with sound coming from cone speakers than small devices. As __nico__ has already stated, the smaller the speaker the more biased it tends to be towards the high end, and it's no secret that hyperacusis sufferers seem to suffer the most with high frequencies. Small speakers also tend to distort more, and distortion can generate high-frequency harmonics. Again, it's interesting to me that when you think about hearing loss, the first OHCs to die are typically those in the basal area of the cochlea. On this point, I would be curious to know if there's anyone out there with hyperacusis who has a perfect audiogram in the EHF range. Equally, I would like to know if there's anyone out there who has the opposite of what we all seem to have: an ultra-sensitivity to the low range that decreases towards the high range.

@Zugzug

Obviously my initial post touched a nerve and I'm sorry again for that. What I was trying to get across was that my symptoms of what I call "pain" seem to fit in well with Liberman's description of what he calls "annoyance": the discomfort ending when the stimulus ends. I just find this interesting because I would argue that "discomfort" can be interpreted to be some kind of degree of pain where both discomfort and pain sit on the same spectrum, just in different places. Additionally, pain hyperacusis, rightly or wrongly, is defined to occur in those who don't experience normal LDL thresholds of 120dB, and LDL of course stands for loudness discomfort level. So it would appear then to me that the researchers themselves are kind of using these definitions and terms interchangeably and I find it very confusing. We need more clarity, and I think that can only be achieved by us all here discussing further.

Having said all this, my reading of your symptoms tells me that we may indeed have the same thing, although it does sound like you have it a lot worse. But I just want to focus on some your wording.
I totally get this. Whenever I hear a sound that puts me in "discomfort" let's say, I want to run a million miles away, suggesting then that my flight or fight mode is kicking in. And just like you, it's not as if I immediately calm down and feel ok once the sound is over. My heart rate goes up and I'm stressed as hell, wondering what damage may have been done, waiting for the trigeminal neuralgia to kick in.

This is why I was using the word "feel" as opposed to "sounds", because this was my way (and perhaps it was a poor choice of words) of trying to describe the emotional reaction I experience, even though objectively speaking I know the sound isn't any louder. I realise we're talking about subjective experience of loudness, but does it sound louder (to me personally)? I'm very torn about how to answer this in my personal case. On the one hand, yes it does, because my acoustic reflex kicks in with sounds of much lower volumes than before and I feel that instant stab of the ear (what I call pain hyperacusis, but maybe it is actually loudness/annoyance??). But at the same time, it doesn't sound like I've got a bucket over my head, nor do my footsteps sound like King Kong or Godzilla when I'm walking around. But having a bucket over my head pre-hyperacusis, although certainly loud, would never have caused the emotional experience I have now, because I wasn't feeling that immediate stab of the ears. If I were to use an analogy from audio engineering (I'm going to make another post about this soon), it's almost as if my ears natural compressor/limiter is broken.

It's very hard to describe what I'm saying here. Perhaps @serendipity1996 can help me out with this, but I just want people to cast their minds back to their lives pre-hyperacusis and think of a moment when you were exposed to something you knew was very loud. As a though experiment, how would you describe your physiological/emotional experience then compared to now? I hope you take these comments in the spirit of good debate, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to play down or gatekeep loudness hyperacusis at all because I think I myself may well have it. I'm just trying to understand what we're all going through and where we are similar and where we deviate, because I'm wondering whether people like me and you are experiencing the same thing but using different terminology to describe our symptoms.

I just want to make another point about the amygdala. I have read cases of war veterans with PTSD developing hyperacusis. It's interesting to me that I developed hyperacusis shortly after my father committed suicide, which has left me with my own PTSD issues. We know that the amygdala volume increases in PTSD patients and the hippocampus shrinks, so this is definitely something that has weighed on my mind for a while and what role the amygdala may play in some sufferers.
I very much like the fact that you give thoughtful responses to things. To be clear, I consider myself to be a huge advocate for people with pain hyperacusis. I think the reason why I took issue is not because I think you are some low empathy person, but that I thought you were providing information for nefarious actors to grab and use for confirmation bias.

I say this dispassionately and unoffended, but I think I just disagree with you on what loudness hyperacusis is. I feel like my original post was so hardcore pulled towards loudness hyperacusis people getting their due, that I may have unintentionally dismissed the amygdala stuff from people with noxacusis.

Obviously, any form of discomfort causes a reaction in the amygdala. Pain produces tons of anxiety and emotional response. I know this because chronic pain for years was my main problem before my ears were involved. The pain would produce fight or flight reactions. What I really meant was that the amygdala responses are different.

True loudness hyperacusis is really hard to describe to someone who doesn't have it. I don't say this with any element of "my suffering is greater than yours," but just for subtyping purposes, I don't think you have loudness hyperacusis, or at least not enough for it to be your main type. For people with loudness hyperacusis, they don't have to think about whether the volume of noises is louder. The nuances and emotional responses in the limbic system (caused by the interactions between the amygdala, thalamus, and auditory cortex) are complicated, but the question of "is the sound actually louder?" (as well) is very, very simple.

Emphatically, yes. For example, just dropping a pencil on my desk is as loud as dropping a heavy weight. Funny story: in the early days, when my case was far more mild but still serious, I'll never forget when my wife and I were in bed and I had hearing protection on. My wife, who has excellent and normal hearing, was sitting right next to me. With earmuffs on, I heard the door knocking before her. Moreover, my audiologist thought it was "odd" how good my audiogram was. If I took the same test now, it would be a freak show. I would probably hear negative decibels.

I'm going to try to explain the amygdala response I get because it's quite different from pain amygdala response. You know that "nails on a chalkboard" feeling? It produces no pain whatsoever. My amygdala response is kind of like a severe version of that, but with completely normal sounds. So they are actually louder in volume and produces that feeling.

Pain can be a part of my problem as more of a secondary thing. For example, if I talk, my facial muscles tighten up and cause a "tension" (non-burning) pain. I don't consider this to have anything to do with noxacusis because it's clearly not a primary pathology and if I don't talk, I don't experience pain. I also live a very modified lifestyle; it's quite possible if I just went out in public, my LDLs are so low that I would experience this same type of pain.

If I had to just take a guess, I would say that noxacusis is probably worse on average, but I think it's a different disorder. Someone can also definitely have elements of both.

I'm mostly just tired of loudness hyperacusis being misunderstood. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder. Pain is serious. I guess I just know because I used to have horrific pain, that loudness hyperacusis can be worse than pain -- emphasis on the words "can be," not "is." It just feels stupid to me that I have to like apologize (not to you) to people experiencing 1/100th the level of suffering who think I have nothing to complain about.

Anyways, great thread. You seem like a great person -- thoughtfulness is rare these days. I'm so sorry about your dad.

Another thing I want to add, and this is NOT directed at anyone, but just a general PSA:

I also reject the idea that tinnitus is always less debilitating than hyperacusis. I have both, but I can picture having tinnitus being 5 times louder and with multiple tones being more, or similarly, torturous.

Sure, the basic outline of tinnitus < loudness hyperacusis < noxacusis is generally true, but I thoroughly reject any uniform nature to these inequalities.

I think Liberman nailed it. Having pain hyperacusis basically means that a single brief loud sound can produce symptoms that will last for weeks. So suddenly the fire alarm goes off and later on there's pain for like 3 weeks, headaches, pressure, stabbing pain, muffled hearing coupled with distortion and tinny elements... a pretty bad cocktail.

Another thing I want to add, and this is NOT directed at anyone, but just a general PSA:

I also reject the idea that tinnitus is always less debilitating than hyperacusis. I have both, but I can picture having tinnitus being 5 times louder and with multiple tones being more, or similarly, torturous.

Sure, the basic outline of tinnitus < loudness hyperacusis < noxacusis is generally true, but I thoroughly reject any uniform nature to these inequalities.
Thanks for this. One of the things I like most about the forum is to see so much empathy. Even among people who suffer so much themselves.

FGG has pretty much described VERBATIM my experience with hyperacusis / noxacusis / dysacusis when I developed right-sided tinnitus/hearing loss two years ago from an acoustic trauma. The detailed description from her experience is chillingly similar.

I still have intermittent issues with certain loud sounds, and certain frequencies. When my issues flare up, usually the reactive tinnitus, and described sensations also flare up in tandem and stay that way for a period of days to weeks.

For the record, I experience an extremely mild left sided tinnitus, and on the right, a much more loud/noisy tinnitus plus hyperacusis symptoms described above.

I plan to follow this discussion, and am happy to offer input if requested.
I have the same situation, but I have had this just for 4 months.

What do you do for sleep?

I very much like the fact that you give thoughtful responses to things. To be clear, I consider myself to be a huge advocate for people with pain hyperacusis. I think the reason why I took issue is not because I think you are some low empathy person, but that I thought you were providing information for nefarious actors to grab and use for confirmation bias.

I say this dispassionately and unoffended, but I think I just disagree with you on what loudness hyperacusis is. I feel like my original post was so hardcore pulled towards loudness hyperacusis people getting their due, that I may have unintentionally dismissed the amygdala stuff from people with noxacusis.

Obviously, any form of discomfort causes a reaction in the amygdala. Pain produces tons of anxiety and emotional response. I know this because chronic pain for years was my main problem before my ears were involved. The pain would produce fight or flight reactions. What I really meant was that the amygdala responses are different.

True loudness hyperacusis is really hard to describe to someone who doesn't have it. I don't say this with any element of "my suffering is greater than yours," but just for subtyping purposes, I don't think you have loudness hyperacusis, or at least not enough for it to be your main type. For people with loudness hyperacusis, they don't have to think about whether the volume of noises is louder. The nuances and emotional responses in the limbic system (caused by the interactions between the amygdala, thalamus, and auditory cortex) are complicated, but the question of "is the sound actually louder?" (as well) is very, very simple.

Emphatically, yes. For example, just dropping a pencil on my desk is as loud as dropping a heavy weight. Funny story: in the early days, when my case was far more mild but still serious, I'll never forget when my wife and I were in bed and I had hearing protection on. My wife, who has excellent and normal hearing, was sitting right next to me. With earmuffs on, I heard the door knocking before her. Moreover, my audiologist thought it was "odd" how good my audiogram was. If I took the same test now, it would be a freak show. I would probably hear negative decibels.

I'm going to try to explain the amygdala response I get because it's quite different from pain amygdala response. You know that "nails on a chalkboard" feeling? It produces no pain whatsoever. My amygdala response is kind of like a severe version of that, but with completely normal sounds. So they are actually louder in volume and produces that feeling.

Pain can be a part of my problem as more of a secondary thing. For example, if I talk, my facial muscles tighten up and cause a "tension" (non-burning) pain. I don't consider this to have anything to do with noxacusis because it's clearly not a primary pathology and if I don't talk, I don't experience pain. I also live a very modified lifestyle; it's quite possible if I just went out in public, my LDLs are so low that I would experience this same type of pain.

If I had to just take a guess, I would say that noxacusis is probably worse on average, but I think it's a different disorder. Someone can also definitely have elements of both.

I'm mostly just tired of loudness hyperacusis being misunderstood. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder. Pain is serious. I guess I just know because I used to have horrific pain, that loudness hyperacusis can be worse than pain -- emphasis on the words "can be," not "is." It just feels stupid to me that I have to like apologize (not to you) to people experiencing 1/100th the level of suffering who think I have nothing to complain about.

Anyways, great thread. You seem like a great person -- thoughtfulness is rare these days. I'm so sorry about your dad.
Been meaning to reply to this sooner but as you've probably noticed I've been caught up with the million-mile an hour PIPE and FX-322 threads this last week.

What kind of settled this debate for me was your anecdotal example about the door knocking and saying if you took an audiogram you'd score negative decibels, as that would also seem to me to be a very obvious way of determining/diagnosing the condition, made complicated though by the fact that one would need to expose themselves to sound in the first place to get such a diagnosis. Disclaimer: I'm not saying one needs a diagnosis to have the condition, I'm just saying negative decibels would seem to me to be an obvious observation one could make from having the condition.

Having now had this conversation, speaking for myself, I think I can say that I have moderate pain hyperacusis (with secondary trigeminal neuralgia symptoms) coupled with some mild form of loudness hyperacusis. I had been meaning to make a post about why I think FX-322 could help some of us (sorry to keep you waiting @Keith Handy), but I wanted a better idea of exactly what others were all going through first. That plan also got derailed by the the whole VPA debate but thankfully that appears to be settled for now.

Finally, thank you for your kindness as well — you seem like a great guy too and I always enjoy our conversations on here.

Been meaning to reply to this sooner but as you've probably noticed I've been caught up with the million-mile an hour PIPE and FX-322 threads this last week.

What kind of settled this debate for me was your anecdotal example about the door knocking and saying if you took an audiogram you'd score negative decibels, as that would also seem to me to be a very obvious way of determining/diagnosing the condition, made complicated though by the fact that one would need to expose themselves to sound in the first place to get such a diagnosis. Disclaimer: I'm not saying one needs a diagnosis to have the condition, I'm just saying negative decibels would seem to me to be an obvious observation one could make from having the condition.

Having now had this conversation, speaking for myself, I think I can say that I have moderate pain hyperacusis (with secondary trigeminal neuralgia symptoms) coupled with some mild form of loudness hyperacusis. I had been meaning to make a post about why I think FX-322 could help some of us (sorry to keep you waiting @Keith Handy), but I wanted a better idea of exactly what others were all going through first. That plan also got derailed by the the whole VPA debate but thankfully that appears to be settled for now.

Finally, thank you for your kindness as well — you seem like a great guy too and I always enjoy our conversations on here.
Wow, this discussion was very helpful. Let me explain why. In the past, I didn't look at my original audiogram too closely because I didn't understand the numbers (or think it mattered). Now that I understand the numbers well from studying FX-322, I just took out my records and discovered that I was tested up to 20 kHz! I had no idea that I had an extended audiogram. Go my audiologist. I didn't notice before because the results extend to a second page that I didn't see, LOL. Plus, I've always read that audiologists never do this unprompted, so I wasn't looking for it.

Anyways, I am attaching it here. Some things to note:
  • All of my scores were around 5 dB with a very slight left ear only loss at 8 kHz, where my threshold was ~20 dB. My right ear at the same frequency was around 5 dB. This makes total sense because I've always said that the problem is symmetrical, but if I had to pick, the right ear is worse.
  • Look at the right ear 4 kHz threshold of 0 dB.
  • This was very early on. At the time of this test (~2 months in), my loudness hyperacusis was just getting to the point where I noticed I had a major problem developing. I could still talk, drive, but I was miserable because I started to notice symptoms. If I took the same test today, it would surely be so much more pronounced.
  • My symptoms are the worst at higher frequencies.
  • I realize that these scores are possible for normal hearing. However, my hearing was not that excellent before hyperacusis. It was still normal, but not notable.
  • Obviously, this only addresses the issue of loudness, not the other aspects of loudness hyperacusis.
It's really interesting to me that my thresholds are so good throughout the entire EHF. This adds more reason to believe that my hair cells could be fine. Maybe it's some other bilateral disorder.

Interesting stuff. Also, side note, this is really sad, but I actually know what CID W-22 List 2A means from reading the Thornton and Raffin paper lol.

To anyone with more expertise (@FGG ?): Do my reflexes look normal? I know my middle ear pressure is normal, but I'm wondering about the Reflex table.

It's quite satisfying that even in the early days, I have objective evidence of loudness hyperacusis. I wish people with noxacusis could experience the same thing.

upload_2021-3-7_15-3-21.png

upload_2021-3-7_15-3-33.png

Wow, this discussion was very helpful. Let me explain why. In the past, I didn't look at my original audiogram too closely because I didn't understand the numbers (or think it mattered). Now that I understand the numbers well from studying FX-322, I just took out my records and discovered that I was tested up to 20 kHz! I had no idea that I had an extended audiogram. Go my audiologist. I didn't notice before because the results extend to a second page that I didn't see, LOL. Plus, I've always read that audiologists never do this unprompted, so I wasn't looking for it.

Anyways, I am attaching it here. Some things to note:
  • All of my scores were around 5 dB with a very slight left ear only loss at 8 kHz, where my threshold was ~20 dB. My right ear at the same frequency was around 5 dB. This makes total sense because I've always said that the problem is symmetrical, but if I had to pick, the right ear is worse.
  • Look at the right ear 4 kHz threshold of 0 dB.
  • This was very early on. At the time of this test (~2 months in), my loudness hyperacusis was just getting to the point where I noticed I had a major problem developing. I could still talk, drive, but I was miserable because I started to notice symptoms. If I took the same test today, it would surely be so much more pronounced.
  • My symptoms are the worst at higher frequencies.
  • I realize that these scores are possible for normal hearing. However, my hearing was not that excellent before hyperacusis. It was still normal, but not notable.
  • Obviously, this only addresses the issue of loudness, not the other aspects of loudness hyperacusis.
It's really interesting to me that my thresholds are so good throughout the entire EHF. This adds more reason to believe that my hair cells could be fine. Maybe it's some other bilateral disorder.

Interesting stuff. Also, side note, this is really sad, but I actually know what CID W-22 List 2A means from reading the Thornton and Raffin paper lol.

To anyone with more expertise (@FGG ?): Do my reflexes look normal? I know my middle ear pressure is normal, but I'm wondering about the Reflex table.

It's quite satisfying that even in the early days, I have objective evidence of loudness hyperacusis. I wish people with noxacusis could experience the same thing.

View attachment 43767

View attachment 43768
Remind me what your tinnitus is like in each ear again...

Remind me what your tinnitus is like in each ear again...
Mostly high pitched, quite reactive. Sometimes it's a bit lower pitched, but never truly low. Correlates strongly with the hyperacusis. Highly somatic (sometimes it changes pitches just from typing). Maybe a few different tones, but not tons. Mostly the same thing in both ears...

Mostly high pitched, quite reactive. Sometimes it's a bit lower pitched, but never truly low. Correlates strongly with the hyperacusis. Highly somatic (sometimes it changes pitches just from typing). Maybe a few different tones, but not tons. Mostly the same thing in both ears...
I do wonder if your hair cells are not the issue as well.

Nothing stands out about your reflexes to me but I'm not well versed in this aspect at all.

Hmm... the fact that it is so highly somatic, too, makes me wonder if this is middle ear muscle related maybe secondary to some neck or jaw pathology.

It had crossed my mind that this could be entirely central (demyelinating disorders like MS can do this) but my gut tells me the bilateral appearance without a lot of other weird hearing issues (like trouble localizing sound) makes this a lot less likely. I'm assuming you had an MRI early on to rule that in/out anyway.

I also tagged you on a thread, here:
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/583242

Because there is an interesting paper that at one point suggests a possible link between chronic severe stress and tinnitus (and possibly loudness hyperacusis) due to the release of a peptide called dynorphins which over sensitizes the NMDA receptor to noise. If this theory is correct, it may account for:

A) Why some people under severe and/or prolonged emotional stress get tinnitus with much less noise exposure. Sometimes maybe even normal noise exposure.

B) Why so many get loudness hyperacusis at the onset of tinnitus but it fades for many with time.

C) Gives a possible explanation for non somatic fleeting tinnitus under non noisy conditions.

I thought it was interesting in your case to consider if this paper could have some merit since you had personally been dealing with stress as well as separate health problems.

Thoughts?

About maybe a month (?) later, I suddenly developed sun burn type pain inside my ear. It also had an electro-shock quality and I could almost feel a buzzing quality. It was present nearly 24/7 and it did not radiate outside my ear. It would be a bit worse with sound but like I said, it was always there. I was already protecting a bit at the time when it happened due to what I'm calling my loudness hyperacusis still being there.

Also, I had very reactive tinnitus at this point. I think in my case, this was hearing some parts of complex sound louder than others, i.e. my refrigerator now had a high pitched tone but I think it was always part of the sound it made but that one tone got amplified. Part of the reason I believe this is when I would test my music hearing with CDs I would actually hear the CD laser reader noise much louder than any of the music.

After maybe 8-12 months (?), the reactive tinnitus got 90% better but the sunburn/electro shock pain went away completely after a month on Magnesium (the only useful advice my otologist ever gave me).

Anyway, I had 2 years free of hyperacusis symptoms until I exposed just my left ear to a loud speaker to test my music hearing (in particular with low frequencies).

Immediately both my ears fluttered for a bit and now I have some sort of pain hyperacusis.

This is how I would describe my current pain: whether I am exposed to noise or not, I have very sore muscles around my whole face. Cheeks, jaw and even above eyes. It seems though that it's slightly worse following noise, but a bit delayed.

In addition I get this burning, tingling and even menthol feeling around my ears and jaw.

I also get needle prick feelings on both pinna and they feel "hot" to me (anyone else have this?).

Nothing is deep or stabbing but I do get an intermittent light fluttering feeling and a sense/feeling that there is liquid behind both ear drums.

Appears to be facial nerve and extensions that seem to interact with other cranial nerves. Search for pictures of the facial nerve - all branches and then list problem areas.

Do you have a habit of extending your lower jaw - moving your lower jaw forward?

Anatomy of the Inner Ear and Facial Nerve - English labels | AnatomyTOOL
Tympanic membrane could be pressing on one extension of the facial nerve. Also view the Stapes.
Did a medication cause your tinnitus? If so - name?
http://www.michiganear.com/ear-services-facial-nerve-problems.html

Appears to be facial nerve and extensions that seem to interact with other cranial nerves. Search for pictures of the facial nerve - all branches and then list problem areas.
Seems like it. I hadn't considered the "extensions interacting with other nerves" as being part of the picture and I do have intermittent lip burning which would be maybe more suggestive of Trigeminal but the Facial Nerve could be affecting that. That's a good thought.

Any thoughts on why noise exposure produced this?

Inside my ears themselves hurt pretty bad still too. A few nights ago, it was bad enough that I honestly asked myself the theoretical question "Can you get a kind of compartment syndrome inside the ear?" I was by myself and completely miserable and scared so I panicked a bit and took a really large dose of Prednisone (100mg) and to my surprise I was a lot better the next morning. I'm tapering down and so far the pain is still there but more manageable.

Any other suggestions? It was definitely brought on by having a speaker next to my ear (it was hard for me to hear something so I had my phone on max and put it right next to my ear canal. Big mistake).

I don't move my jaw around any unusual way that I'm aware of. Also, I was screened for TMJ at tinnitus onset and I don't have it.

I do wonder if your hair cells are not the issue as well.

Nothing stands out about your reflexes to me but I'm not well versed in this aspect at all.

Hmm... the fact that it is so highly somatic, too, makes me wonder if this is middle ear muscle related maybe secondary to some neck or jaw pathology.

It had crossed my mind that this could be entirely central (demyelinating disorders like MS can do this) but my gut tells me the bilateral appearance without a lot of other weird hearing issues (like trouble localizing sound) makes this a lot less likely. I'm assuming you had an MRI early on to rule that in/out anyway.

I also tagged you on a thread, here:
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/583242

Because there is an interesting paper that at one point suggests a possible link between chronic severe stress and tinnitus (and possibly loudness hyperacusis) due to the release of a peptide called dynorphins which over sensitizes the NMDA receptor to noise. If this theory is correct, it may account for:

A) Why some people under severe and/or prolonged emotional stress get tinnitus with much less noise exposure. Sometimes maybe even normal noise exposure.

B) Why so many get loudness hyperacusis at the onset of tinnitus but it fades for many with time.

C) Gives a possible explanation for non somatic fleeting tinnitus under non noisy conditions.

I thought it was interesting in your case to consider if this paper could have some merit since you had personally been dealing with stress as well as separate health problems.

Thoughts?
I'm going to have to get back to you with regards to the paper. Some initial thoughts:

It's interesting that you mention a central cause and MS. When I first became chronically ill 6 years ago, it was also after prolonged stress (I had to save my career by passing two tough exams in two days). Anyways, I had tons of neurological symptoms such as neuropathy in my feet, neuropathy in my hands and arms, along with chronic pain, fatigue, tons of stuff. Anyways, the initial fear was that I had MS, but it was ruled out by several MRIs as well as lacking many of the symptoms.

Around the time of the ear issues (second stress ending), I didn't get an MRI because by the time I got in with the ENT, my hyperacusis had been bad enough that I couldn't tolerate it. Obviously, now I definitely can't tolerate it.

I have read that Sjogren's can mimic MS, but it's different. It's also the only one that I have a blood marker for. It doesn't feel central, but rather a peripheral nerve problem that's very close to being central. I know that doesn't make any sense, but I see it almost like the last peripheral nerve before it reaches the brain. Actually, it could even be the efferent nerves from the brain. I do not think it's entirely the brain because I lack so many of the central issues.

Regarding stress, I have to read the paper, but it's not like I was stressed and then had an injury. I mean, noises do make this worse, but so much of it is just a life of its own. I live in near total silence. I've tried light sound therapy, none, it doesn't really matter.

Moreover, at the beginning, I had constant balance problems, which my neurologist didn't think seemed central in nature.

There's sort of holes in every theory lol. I do wonder, I have read that damage to the auditory nerve requires more to affect hearing than hair cells. I might have tunnel vision, but my theory for a while has been Sjogren's causing demyelination in my auditory nerve. It's quite frustrating because the lip biopsy could help confirm or reject Sjogren's, but it's really hard to picture making it to the appointment in a month. I struggle to tolerate like doors gently closing with full protection. It would answer a lot of questions though.

Thanks for looking into this. I wish there were answers for you as well, as you seem to have a lot going on.

@Greg Sacramento, high dose Azithromycin caused my tinnitus and hearing loss. That was a few years ago. I have had distortions and tinnitus ever since but no pain after the initial period.

The new pain was definitely triggered by noise and I really do believe is ear drum related (possibly pressing on facial nerve). I'm hoping this gets better. My life is already pretty damn rock bottom and this may honestly be a full tipping point for me considering I'm already dealing with hearing loss, loss of music, visual snow, divorce, depression, the possibility of losing my home, etc.

Edit: there was someone who took Tamsulosin on a thread for his ear pain and it cured it for him. I was intrigued because it looks like there is smooth muscle around the ear drum. Prazocin is a different alpha blocker I could get ahold of. What are your thoughts on trying this?

I'm going to have to get back to you with regards to the paper. Some initial thoughts:

It's interesting that you mention a central cause and MS. When I first became chronically ill 6 years ago, it was also after prolonged stress (I had to save my career by passing two tough exams in two days). Anyways, I had tons of neurological symptoms such as neuropathy in my feet, neuropathy in my hands and arms, along with chronic pain, fatigue, tons of stuff. Anyways, the initial fear was that I had MS, but it was ruled out by several MRIs as well as lacking many of the symptoms.

Around the time of the ear issues (second stress ending), I didn't get an MRI because by the time I got in with the ENT, my hyperacusis had been bad enough that I couldn't tolerate it. Obviously, now I definitely can't tolerate it.

I have read that Sjogren's can mimic MS, but it's different. It's also the only one that I have a blood marker for. It doesn't feel central, but rather a peripheral nerve problem that's very close to being central. I know that doesn't make any sense, but I see it almost like the last peripheral nerve before it reaches the brain. Actually, it could even be the efferent nerves from the brain. I do not think it's entirely the brain because I lack so many of the central issues.

Regarding stress, I have to read the paper, but it's not like I was stressed and then had an injury. I mean, noises do make this worse, but so much of it is just a life of its own. I live in near total silence. I've tried light sound therapy, none, it doesn't really matter.

Moreover, at the beginning, I had constant balance problems, which my neurologist didn't think seemed central in nature.

There's sort of holes in every theory lol. I do wonder, I have read that damage to the auditory nerve requires more to affect hearing than hair cells. I might have tunnel vision, but my theory for a while has been Sjogren's causing demyelination in my auditory nerve. It's quite frustrating because the lip biopsy could help confirm or reject Sjogren's, but it's really hard to picture making it to the appointment in a month. I struggle to tolerate like doors gently closing with full protection. It would answer a lot of questions though.

Thanks for looking into this. I wish there were answers for you as well, as you seem to have a lot going on.
Thinking about the possibility of Sjogren's. At least some of your problem is inflammatory (i.e. not permanent demyelination) since it responded to Prednisone at one point.

Hypothetically, if you did have Sjogren's, maybe before you can get a definitive diagnosis (again, that's *if* it ends up being that), you can try some anti-inflammatory measures at home.

I posted a link earlier in the thread between Sjogren's severity and gut dysbiosis/overgrowth. Reportedly, Venus Williams got great improvement in her Sjogren's symptoms with a vegan diet.

Sorry to keep throwing out tangent suggestions. I'm just clutching at straws because I want to try to help.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now