Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Hi,

I took Pregabalin and it did not reduce my tinnitus. In fact I think it changed the type of sound for the worse. That might have happened anyway though. However, it is a very good medication for extreme anxiety.

The thing with benzos are there not hurting us being on them.. Its just the withdraws that people are concerned about after being on them so LONG.
Benzos are listed as ototoxic, and I'm personally of the opinion that they can be damaging to some people. I think that taking Klonopin for as long as I did left me with worse tinnitus than I started with.

I just read this disturbing article discussing the link between Benzodiazapines and Alzheimers:

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-anxiety-drug-alzheimers-20140909-story.html

Perhaps we should all reconsider the use of Benzodiazapines.

-Golly

i wouldn't give too much importance to that study, they are frequently studying the same phenomenon and every ttime it's the opposite result compared to the prevoius study.

An article from 2011 (in french) talking about the 2011 study on benzodiazepine and alzheimer.

on a side note alzheimer might bring the final stage of habituation, to forget about your tinnitus for a long period ;-)

i wouldn't give too much importance to that study, they are frequently studying the same phenomenon and every ttime it's the opposite result compared to the prevoius study.

An article from 2011 (in french) talking about the 2011 study on benzodiazepine and alzheimer.

on a side note alzheimer might bring the final stage of habituation, to forget about your tinnitus for a long period ;-)

The researchers do admit that there might be a causality problem in this study. That is, Benzodiazepine use might signal that people are attempting to cope with anxiety and sleep disruption, which are two symptoms of Alzheimer's onset. In other words, Benzodiazapine use might be an effect, not a cause of the disease. This aspect of the conclusion is nicely presented here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...s-taken-by-millions-linked-to-Alzheimers.html

But I must admit, I am rethinking my occasional use of Klonopin. Perhaps once or twice a week is not occasional enough! I would have thought that the frequency of use should be a key factor, whereas the researchers examined cumulative dosage. Could it really be that 1mg, once a week, for seven years (say about 350 doses) results in the same long-term effect as taking 1mg every day for about one year?

-Golly

There have been multiple longitudinal studies which have concluded that benzos are correlated with increased rates of dementia and decreased longevity... enough that it should give one pause if you're worried about such things. There have been other studies showing reduction in volume in various brain structures, and long-term changes to receptor signaling.

Of course, something is gonna kill you, some day. It's a bad policy to worry about things endlessly.

I'm skeptical of long-term benzos for tinnitus simply because of the number of accounts I've read from people who seemed to develop tinnitus as a result of long-term use or cessation after long-term use. Tinnitus seems to be correlated to lower-than-normal densities of BDZ receptors in specific parts of the brain, and long-term benzo use is likewise.

Benzos completely obliterate my tinnitus, and so I'd just keep popping them if I wasn't concerned that it was going to make the problem worse in the long run.

@Alex Senkowski and others on this thread:
Did your t return to baseline after long term daily use of benzos?
Just going through a slow but rough taper of lorazepam. Was only on .5mg once daily for 4 months to treat t. Reduced my sounds by half and helped me sleep at first. Taper taking 5 additional months.
Withdrawal symptoms so far include increased t, broken and light sleep, vivid dreams, electric sensations in chest.
Titration taper dropping (tab dissolved in 100ml of water) cutting 5% each week.

The effect I feel taking clonazepam is like an instant habituation that fades away when the effect ends. Hearing the peeeeeeeee in my ears doesn´t bother me and I just forget about it while doing other stuff. It's effective for those times when I have spikes, like this week.

I have browsed this thread, discovered this forum on a search about Tinnitus and clonazapam. Tinnitus is new for me, at least that I am aware of. Stated the ene of November or beginning of December. Couple of things
1. Had been using a steroid noise spray for daily morning cough
2. Took possession of a new car with a defect creating loud wind noise (waiting for fix)
3. Have been for a few month using clonazapam only once a dai at .5mg, over the years (12 or more) had used it for anxiety ai 1-3 mg daily. Was just using it for sleep the past 2 or so months.
So I have no idea if any of the above have had an effect on developing to my awareness tinnitus. My first though was this loud wind noise from this car as I am worse whenever I have to drive.

I will read more and try to learn. Thoughts are always appreciated

JRS.

Just wanted to share my experience with Clonazepam.
I'd like to mention something I think is a valuable piece of information:

Clonazepam is also a Muscle relaxant. I got Clonazepam since I had "spasm" or "cramps" in the part that feels like the ear canal.
my doctor (who goes the furthest of most doctors that I've heard of worldwide to treat T) gave me Clonazepam as a Muscle relaxant. he said it's directly related to the T and it really is as it turned out to show.

I took 0.5mg for about a month and half, at the beginning there was a major effect- reducing the level of T drastically.
and then after about a month it stopped effecting as it was.
as some medications effects like that, I assume that in the beginning the effect could be great (if it works for you at all) and it could be reduced over time.
now I think I am lucky, since my T is not constant, it comes and goes. sometimes it so quite I can't even hear it and sometimes it's so loud that I can't do anything else like work and I am getting so mad at the loudness.
but again, I take comfort in the fact that in the overall I have long breaks between a major spike.
when I do have a major spike I feel spasms most of the times as well,
then I tried to take a 0.5mg pill of Clonazepam only at the times I have a spike but as I said, this dosage doesn't effect me anymore.

So I do plan to get a higher dosage from my doctor to take a pill only when I have a spike (if that will be ok with him).

Wishing silence to all of you,

Roy.

I know taking klonopin is like a ticking time bomb but I only use it when I have really bad spikes and taking just 1mg at night usually gives me 2 or 3 days of reasonable T .....its a tough battle damned if you do damned if you don't ....sometimes I just say F*** it I need a break and I'll pop one ...oh well

Carlos, as I stated I have taken Clonazapam for years, I take very little now, I was using it for sleep but not I use Melatonin. My anxiety if very manageable or non existent these days, but at this time I am taking about .25MG daily as I am weaning off.. if it helps my Tinnitus I would not hesitate to use it, but I would rather use it less than more. My Tinnitus may be in the early stages, it has become less noisy and less noticeable, but some days it is full blast. Time will tell. Good luck from someone on the western part of the state.

Carlos, as I stated I have taken Clonazapam for years, I take very little now, I was using it for sleep but not I use Melatonin. My anxiety if very manageable or non existent these days, but at this time I am taking about .25MG daily as I am weaning off.. if it helps my Tinnitus I would not hesitate to use it, but I would rather use it less than more. My Tinnitus may be in the early stages, it has become less noisy and less noticeable, but some days it is full blast. Time will tell. Good luck from someone on the western part of the state.
Thanks JRS happy holidays

I understand this is an old thread but I have stumbled upon this and I need to share my experience with Clonazepam and Tinnitus.

Long story short: I think Clonazepam makes my T spike for a week or 2, even after a single pill.

It helps my with the volume of my T for a few days, but those few days are followed by a long spike.

I don't know for sure that it has to do with Ototoxicity though. Perhaps because the Clonazepam works effectively at reducing the volume of my T, I simply notice it more when it comes back, and being focused on it exacerbates it until I ''re-habituate'' and forget about it again. We all know how much of a mental game this is, so it's really hard to tell what causes what.

I understand this is an old thread but I have stumbled upon this and I need to share my experience with Clonazepam and Tinnitus.

Long story short: I think Clonazepam makes my T spike for a week or 2, even after a single pill.

It helps my with the volume of my T for a few days, but those few days are followed by a long spike.

You may be experiencing the beginnings of a withdrawal syndrome from the drug. The half life is long (30 hours), so a single dose takes several days to clear, and sedative/hypnotics are known to provoke worse and worse withdrawals, the more you use them. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative-hypnotic_withdrawal)

Klonopin kills my ringing like nothing else, and if it didn't cause me a bunch of worse problems, I'd probably just take it forever...

I've only been taking clonazepam (0.5mg) for 4 days now, and my T literally disappeared yesterday. Now it's back but barely audible (still need to take my dose today). In the TRT book by Hazell and Jastreboff, they claim that clonazepam has no effect whatsoever on T. I'm just out of the psychiatric ward (because of depression due to T) and I got a load of drugs to keep my emotions stable which I'm capable of now. Could it be the clonazepam working or is it just me that got a lot better at not focussing and stressing about T. And could clonazepam facilitate habituation (since ChineseHazell and Jastreboff believe it has no effect)

My doctor also told me that clonazepam chemically is part of the benzodiazipines group, but doesn't really function like one. Because it is used for other reasons than other benzos

I've only been taking clonazepam (0.5mg) for 4 days now, and my T literally disappeared yesterday. Now it's back but barely audible (still need to take my dose today). In the TRT book by Hazell and Jastreboff, they claim that clonazepam has no effect whatsoever on T. I'm just out of the psychiatric ward (because of depression due to T) and I got a load of drugs to keep my emotions stable which I'm capable of now. Could it be the clonazepam working or is it just me that got a lot better at not focussing and stressing about T. And could clonazepam facilitate habituation (since ChineseHazell and Jastreboff believe it has no effect)

My doctor also told me that clonazepam chemically is part of the benzodiazipines group, but doesn't really function like one. Because it is used for other reasons than other benzos
Hi @Lisa123 I too take Klonopin and it too brings my T way down. I have read so many horror stories here that I'm afraid of taking it everyday so what I been doing is going every third day ....its so good to have a low T day I'm hoping I'm not running into a freight train tho....It seems like anything that reduces T can actually make it worse down the road. I'm lost at what to do sometimes ....anyways just wanted to add my 2 cents ....good luck

@Lisa123 @Carlos1 is it even lower when you cover your ears or sitting in a very silent room?

My T is audible in a silent room but soon fades to the background. And when I'm not focused and I sneak a peek by plugging my ears, I don't hear it sometimes (not always). But I feel I have a better hold on my T due to the drugs

I've only been taking clonazepam (0.5mg) for 4 days now, and my T literally disappeared yesterday. Now it's back but barely audible (still need to take my dose today). In the TRT book by Hazell and Jastreboff, they claim that clonazepam has no effect whatsoever on T.
Don't believe everything you read; benzos and especially Klonopin also completely eliminate my T after a few days of use. Many people say this is not the case for them, but it sure is for me! Unfortunately the long term effects of the drug were not worth it for me, and getting off of them at that point was the hardest thing I've ever done and made T look like a walk in the park.

Well, I guess don't believe everything you hear, either. Klonopin is actually worse than other benzos because most benzos only act on GABA-a receptors; Klonopin acts there strongly, but also acts on GABA-b receptors, which makes the withdrawal more complicated (and may also explain why Kpin seems to quiet tinnitus down more than other benzos, at least for some people.
Carlos1 said:
I have read so many horror stories here that I'm afraid of taking it everyday so what I been doing is going every third day .
Keep in mind that the half life of Klonopin is long enough that even if you only take it every 3 days, you have some amount of it in your body all the time. Taking 1mg every 3 days is not much different than taking 1/3mg every day, and 1/3mg is still a decent amount of the drug (equivalent to about 7mg of valium).

Don't believe everything you read; benzos and especially Klonopin also completely eliminate my T after a few days of use. Many people say this is not the case for them, but it sure is for me! Unfortunately the long term effects of the drug were not worth it for me, and getting off of them at that point was the hardest thing I've ever done and made T look like a walk in the park.

Well, I guess don't believe everything you hear, either. Klonopin is actually worse than other benzos because most benzos only act on GABA-a receptors; Klonopin acts there strongly, but also acts on GABA-b receptors, which makes the withdrawal more complicated (and may also explain why Kpin seems to quiet tinnitus down more than other benzos, at least for some people.

Keep in mind that the half life of Klonopin is long enough that even if you only take it every 3 days, you have some amount of it in your body all the time. Taking 1mg every 3 days is not much different than taking 1/3mg every day, and 1/3mg is still a decent amount of the drug (equivalent to about 7mg of valium).
Please explain to me what the harm is if someone stayed on Klonopin long term? I have read about people being on for years then they tapper down and don't really go through any withdraws ....I currently take K every couple days and it basically eliminates my T and its just a welcome relief that its hard for me to stop...

@Mo_Mo
Even in a quite room with fingers in my ears the ringing is much lower on klonopin.
I just get scared of all the horror stories here so not quite sure what to do...Like I said right now I take it every 3rd day and I get a day and half of low T and I welcome that change it makes T almost bearable cuz I know relief is coming

@Carlos1 how does it feel when you are taking the pill, how does it affect you, I have never taken any pills other than panadol or amoxycilllin antibiotics, claranaise for a flue I had which caused me insomnia which seems to be the cause of my T 2 and half months ago, my T went down last week by a notch but it is a full blast now. I saw 9 ENT's and all say your ears and hearing are fine
So I am thinking of a pharmaceutical to help alleviate it such as klonopin

@Carlos1 how does it feel when you are taking the pill, how does it affect you, I have never taken any pills other than panadol or amoxycilllin antibiotics, claranaise for a flue I had which caused me insomnia which seems to be the cause of my T 2 and half months ago, my T went down last week by a notch but it is a full blast now. I saw 9 ENT's and all say your ears and hearing are fine
So I am thinking of a pharmaceutical to help alleviate it such as klonopin
I always take Klonopin 1mg at nite and when I wake up next morning I have low T that will last almost all day then I'll skip it that nite and take the Klonopin the following nite.. I have tested this at least 10 times now and I get the same results ....I'm just afraid of the long term use due to the horror stories I read about

Please explain to me what the harm is if someone stayed on Klonopin long term? I have read about people being on for years then they tapper down and don't really go through any withdraws ....I currently take K every couple days and it basically eliminates my T and its just a welcome relief that its hard for me to stop...
Please keep in mind that I am biased by my own negative experience with benzos as well as by the various horror stories I've read over the years. I think it's a big dice roll, basically. Some people manage to take benzos for a long time without too much trouble, and other people really have trouble after a short time. Overall I think I had a harder time getting off these pills than most people do (though still a lot easier than those who really suffer, since I was able to continue working and was not hospitalized at any point).

The reason I'm especially skeptical about benzos on a long-term basis for tinnitus, is that they are documented to cause various vestibular problems in at least some cases, and that sounds like a dangerous recipe for people that have ear issues to begin with. I've had a couple ENTs be pretty skeptical of benzos over the years, too (http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/benzodiazepines.htm). It's not hard to find people who say that their severe tinnitus or balance problems were caused by benzos or bento w/d in the first place, and the idea that you can avoid withdrawal by tapering slowly isn't really correct. Slow tapers make it a lot more manageable, and some people are able to tolerate that without any significant symptoms, but in my case even going slowly put my HR & BP at about 20% above normal for months straight — and that's just the most physical aspect. (Needless to say, the tinnitus was horrific…..)

I don't think anyone disagrees that in the short term benzos can be profoundly helpful for acute anxiety and insomnia. Definitely do your homework before using them long term; I think that if I had I probably wouldn't have stayed on them more than a few months, which might have spared me a couple of the worst years of my life. Definitely take a look at the thread I linked earlier that dives into the mechanics and neurology of how benzos interact with tinnitus, it's worth understanding.

Please keep in mind that I am biased by my own negative experience with benzos as well as by the various horror stories I've read over the years. I think it's a big dice roll, basically. Some people manage to take benzos for a long time without too much trouble, and other people really have trouble after a short time. Overall I think I had a harder time getting off these pills than most people do (though still a lot easier than those who really suffer, since I was able to continue working and was not hospitalized at any point).

The reason I'm especially skeptical about benzos on a long-term basis for tinnitus, is that they are documented to cause various vestibular problems in at least some cases, and that sounds like a dangerous recipe for people that have ear issues to begin with. I've had a couple ENTs be pretty skeptical of benzos over the years, too (http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/benzodiazepines.htm). It's not hard to find people who say that their severe tinnitus or balance problems were caused by benzos or bento w/d in the first place, and the idea that you can avoid withdrawal by tapering slowly isn't really correct. Slow tapers make it a lot more manageable, and some people are able to tolerate that without any significant symptoms, but in my case even going slowly put my HR & BP at about 20% above normal for months straight — and that's just the most physical aspect. (Needless to say, the tinnitus was horrific…..)

I don't think anyone disagrees that in the short term benzos can be profoundly helpful for acute anxiety and insomnia. Definitely do your homework before using them long term; I think that if I had I probably wouldn't have stayed on them more than a few months, which might have spared me a couple of the worst years of my life. Definitely take a look at the thread I linked earlier that dives into the mechanics and neurology of how benzos interact with tinnitus, it's worth understanding.
@linearb Is there any supplement that would act like a benzo that you know of

@linearb Is there any supplement that would act like a benzo that you know of
phenibut (β-phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid) is sold as a supplement, and is very "benzo like" to the extent that I've read accounts of the withdrawal causing seizures.

there are several common supplements which act as positive allosteric modulators of GABA to some degree, but with the exception of phenibut I don't find any of them strong enough to be worrying. Stuff in this list includes valerian root, chamomile, and kava. Note that there is at least one account of withdrawal seizures from valerian in the literature, but I think it was someone who'd taken a ton of it for years and then stopped.

I haven't messed with phenibut since getting bad T because I am alarmed by the information that is available about it. None of the other supplements on this list have any impact on my T.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now