Favourite Video Games?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Danny Boy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. in_LA

in_LA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My greatest gaming regret is not playing this game while it was at its height in 2006-2007. Are you playing the classic version? I heard people are really toxic, especially in the newer updates, however classic I heard is chill.
      Contra is a true classic.
      Did you ever play Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing?
      Animal Crossing is the only reason I still covet a Switch. I still have my GameCube though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Wolfka
      Loved

Wolfka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ENT says it was stress
      I'm playing on retail. My guild is pretty chill, and there is a lot of single player content now.

I want my memories of good of times of vanilla/TBC/WotLK to stay as nice and happy as I remember it and not remind myself how I spent weeks raiding and never killing Lich King, how I was constantly on the bench, because my gear wasn't enough.

• Like Like x 2
    3. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      So guess what, I finally beat RE0!

On one hand, this game is extremely good, has all classic things you’ve come to expect from a Resident Evil game, survivor horror, resource management, immersive environments, puzzles, etc. The dual protagonists mechanic was a nice added element into this game. Controlling both Rebecca and Billy and having to solve puzzles while utilizing the switching mechanic was a highlight for me. Really fun. I think the train and the training facility were the best sections of the game.

However, I did have one major issue with this game and it was the developer’s decision to not include an item storage or better known as the ‘item box’ in this game. This is a stable in classic RE, it allows one to free up inventory space when you reached maxed space. Removing the item box from the game was a questionable design decision IMO and made the later parts of the game extremely frustrating. You’re forced to do a lot of backtracking as a result. I lost count how many times I had to drop items on the floor because I didn’t have any inventory space for them. Take the hookshot for instance – it's an item you need to use early on in the game, yet it occupies two inventory slots. I found myself having to drop it soon after using it since it isn't required until much later in the game. I had go all way the back (in the training facility) and retrieve it again to use again. It became really tedious and kinda bogged the experience down. It’d be nice to store the hookshot in a nearby item box and retrieve it through there when needed. If wasn’t for the lack of an item box, this game would otherwise be seen as a really strong entry in the Resident Evil series IMO. There was a lot of good in it.

I also did find some parts of the game to be a bit tough. The giant bat boss in particular made me want to slit my wrists in frustration!

Thanks for recommending RE0, it was worth playing in the end.

Moving on to Final Fantasy 16 guys.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. BobbieJay-1954
      Sleepy

BobbieJay-1954 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Meds
      My favorite video game series as a kid was Crash Bandicoot. I grew up with the PS2 Crash Bandicoot games but went on to play the PS1 games as I got older and fell even more in love with the series.

Gran Turismo and Forza are two series I also love, mainly their older games. I’m a firm believer than Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport 4 are some of the greatest racing games of all time in terms of the quality of overall game, soundtrack, car selection, and length of the main campaign.

Another favorite game of mine is Team Fortress 2. Been an avid player of the game since 2012-2013 with some on/off periods to maintain freshness. Over 5,000 hours on the game at this point and a pretty nice inventory. I know Valve has neglected the game for too long and this latest summer update wasn’t all that, but I’d be lying if I said any of that stuff made me reconsider the game. The gameplay, art style, music, plethora of cosmetics, and more just keep me from leaving. Every time I play the game it’s like stepping through a nostalgia portal - kind of like every time I play Crash Bandicoot or Gran Turismo 4 on my PS2 simulator.

I enjoy playing Overwatch too but I don’t like the direction Blizzard is going with the game. I feel like there is so much more they can do with it and its storyline but they’re holding back. I hear so many people saying that if they made an animated show like League of Legends did with Arcane, it would be a HUGE success and honestly... I’d love to see something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    5. SilverFox
      Not worthy

SilverFox Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Common cold
      I've been playing Quake III Arena on and off for more than 20 years. This game has the perfect balance between speed, agility and strategy. After all this time, there is still so much to learn.

There used to be a lot more people playing, but you can still find games even now.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      I played Baldur’s Gate 3 for 10 hours yesterday. That game has me in a damn chokehold.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. PennyCat

PennyCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently started a new save on The Elder Scrolls V and I’ve been having a lot of fun. It’s hard to get fully into it because of how hyperfixated I am on my tinnitus right now, but it’s still a good distraction! It will always be one of my favorite games. I can’t wait for the next one to finally come out.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      OMG I love Skyrim so much. The music is absolutely nostalgic. I started a modded playthrough a while back but stopped around the Dragonborn DLC. I gotta go back sometime.

9. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot games were my jam back in the day too. Top tier platformers.

I’m a big fan of the PS2 as well. That’s probably my favorite console of all time. The amount of quality games I had on it when I was a kid was staggering. Jak and Daxter was my jam.
      Skyrim is life :)

Do you like space exploration by any chance? The same people who made Elder Scrolls 5 are making a new game called StarField. It’s basically Skyrim in space. It’s coming out very soon. Might be something that could be of interest for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. PennyCat

PennyCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve never played anything like it, but it’s been getting a lot of hype recently and seems like it would be fun, so I’ll probably end up playing it!

• Like Like x 2
    11. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Being in my 40s now, although I do have an Xbox Game Pass (recent after an upgrade to a gaming laptop) in which I've clocked up 220 hours gameplay (!) on FIFA 23 which is a great grab and play distraction - I'm def a retro gamer by heart.

Most of you won't remember this lot below but here would be my fave games of all time - many of course can be found on retropie emulators:

Kung Fu Master - Arcade
      Probably one of the very first arcade games I ever got in to back in the day, this and Dug Out. Mid 80s, caravan holiday park in the UK, this thing took all my nightly allowance of 10ps. Classic kick and punch kung fu platformer.

Outlaw - Atari 2600 'Woody'
      Got bought the Atari 2600 'Woody' in the early 80s when I was very young. Space Invaders was good, Combat was better, Popeye was addictive but Outlaw holds the most memories - hit your cowboy opponent more times than they hit you. Simple, fun and immensely playable.

Horace Goes Skiing - ZX Spectrum
      I had the original 48k Spectrum with separate cassette deck in the 1980s. Back then when coloured loading bars sounded as bad as tinnitus, and games could take so long to load that you may as well have gone play kerbsies with a mate until it'd had finished. Horace Goes Skiing is a simple two part game. Take Horace across a busy road (like Frogger) to buy some skis, then send him off down the slopes. Still fun to play today.

Gauntlet 2 - Atari ST
      'Blue Wizard shot the food!' - was often heard coming out of arcade halls in the 80s. The Atari ST had a great port of this 100 level fast frantic game that kept you on your extreme toes the entire time with more enemies to shoot than probably any game before or after. This game kept me awake all night on many occasions in the late 80s.

Targhan - Atari ST
      Targhan by Similaris isn't often spoke about today but I played this very often in the early 90s. Warrior, medieval platformer type - I miss not being able to listen to the deep nostalgic bliss of the opening signature tune.

Nebulus - Atari ST
      You take to the rotating towers as Pogo, a kind of alien frog type, and traverse the revolving towers. A mix of platform, puzzle and the most frustrating game of snakes and ladders you've ever played!

MYST - PC
      The very first immersive 3D puzzle world experience. The sounds, graphics, complex puzzles and surprises were amazing then and still are to this day. Got a copy on my PSP recently. Total nostalgia.

F-Zero - SNES
      Ive saved my most favourite game ever until last. A futuristic racing game with an incredible mix of speed, power and adrenaline rush - with music and a soundtrack I'd almost risk a 3 day spike to listen to again! Pure nostalgic bliss.

I'm missing a whole bunch here (After Burner, Space Harrier, Outrun, Starwing etc...), and I know this derails the thread from the latest online multiplayer games, but maybe someone remembers one or two of these original golden nuggets.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn, @DeanD, with the Atari 2600! You are a beast! It doesn’t get anymore retro than that.
      Mute City all day everyday.

AEF7BD17-27A1-4065-8F64-981F4255D378.gif

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. Binnen-dahlia

Binnen-dahlia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      At this moment: NieR:Automata, The Last Guardian, Hogwarts, Elden Ring and the new Final Fantasy.

• Like Like x 3
    14. BobbieJay-1954
      Sleepy

BobbieJay-1954 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Meds
      No doubt the PS2 is my favorite childhood console alongside the PS1, Xbox 360, and the Wii. I could also throw in handhelds too, like the Game Boy Advance and the DS lineup. I have spent more time on those than I have in the last decade on computer gaming. I play the PS2 emulator, PCSX2, on my PC almost every day and it’s a blast. So many titles that it’s impossible to play all the time and get bored of it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      Yakuza.

Best series ever.

It's being called Like a Dragon these days.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have finished 3 games these past few months.

Final Fantasy 16 8.7/10

This is a return to the kind of storytelling we've come to expect from a typical Final Fantasy storyline. Good stuff.

Lies Of P 8.5/10

Pinocchio meets Dark Souls/Bloodbourne. Unique art direction. Addicting gameplay.

Spider Man-2 9/10

Those frequencies control accessibility features were pretty darn great to use. Explosions and high pitch frequencies were filtered out and made the experience much more enjoyable as a result.

• Like Like x 1
    17. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I've clocked up 440 hours of online FIFA 23 now - a great game to pick up and play.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Vezzy

Vezzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      A big lover of the Resident Evil franchise too. I don’t like the reviews on RE3 remake though. That’s actually my favorite, I love the original to bits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed. RE3 Remake was still a great game, even if it didn’t live up to the original. Honestly, Capcom has been on a roll with all their RE entries these past few years.

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. streifzug
      Alone

streifzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, noise, meds
      I loved The Witcher III and Cyberpunk 2077. The last game I played was Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Best platformer ever.

• Like Like x 2
    21. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice selections. Yeah, The Ori games are some the best Metroidvanias and platformers out there. Will of the Wisp was indeed a banger. Played it on release date and remember enjoying quite a lot. The music is great also — Luma Pools I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. streifzug
      Alone

streifzug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, noise, meds
      Yes, it was a banger! It's also very pretty to look at and the game mechanics are nice and varied.

• Winner Winner x 1
    23. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      Rabi-Ribi is the best Metroidvania.

It turns into a bullet hell style game with the boss fights though.

Here's an example:

Rabi-Ribi - Lilith Battle - Bunny Extinction

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely. The art direction is superb. The environments were so vibrant and aesthetically pleasing to look at indeed.

I also like how combat was expanded upon in Will of the Wisps. It drew inspiration from Hollow Knight, another top-tier Metroidvania game.

25. AbbaZaba

AbbaZaba Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Galaga, high scorer on many machines across Southern California.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Nice to see a thread from @Danny Boy in the feed.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Currently playing Spirittea, which is a pretty cozy game in the vein of Stardew Valley.

Instead of a farm, you manage a bathhouse for spirits. Aesthetically, it seems to draw a lot of inspiration from Spirited Away (by Ghibli).

@ZFire, I love Hollow Knight. Looking forward to Silksong.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. weehiru
      Doubtful

weehiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      TMJ 2015, Noise Exposure 03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced + TMJ
      I could be in here for ages, babbling on about video games. I love so many.

I've probably played an unhealthy amount of Overwatch & League of Legends in my lifetime. More than I care to admit to people...

I'm big into fighting games; Tekken is my favorite. Loving 8 so far. Street Fighter + King of Fighters I love, too.

Fallout: New Vegas, Cyberpunk 2077, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the Yakuza series, and plenty of others are my favorites of all time!

I've been getting into the Shadowrun game series currently. I finished Returns, and I loved it! I always thought turn-based strategy games weren't my cup of tea, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm halfway through Hong Kong (I thought that was the 2nd game in the series, and I got too far before I figured it out, oops), and I'm keen to find more games that are like this series when I'm done with it, so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them :D

• Winner Winner x 1
    29. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      DEF23CEF-9E5F-435B-9C87-146C13739347.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    30. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Here are a few suggestions:
      • Divinity: Original Sin I
      • Divinity: Original Sin II
      • Baldur's Gate III
      • Wasteland 3
      • Solasta: Crown of the Magister (very D&D-like)

• Like Like x 1