• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I wonder if that 18 month timeline is still on track? Do y'all think that would stop other companies from research if FX is successful?

I for one, would pay thousands out of pocket. 30 minutes and I'm out the door :)
I'm just as eager as you are to give them my money if they could "turn back the clock" a few years. Pretty sure they're just as happy to take it

Whatever the case is i would prefer complete restoration of my hearing ability, if be company does that then there is no reason for others to exist

My opinion is that group of producers of hearing aids worldwide will do all to stop any real solution and if it comes out to buy it off cos they would lose money on selling severely expensive hearing aids. world is ruled by money, not by empathy for people who suffer, they don't give out hearing aids that like mine cost 4000€ to people who need it just as free...

When they eventually start the trail I hope we can at least hope for it to progress swiftly. I don´t know if they will operate with different doses or placebo, but other than that the only time-consume would be to let the HC regenerate(or not) and post-treatment-analysis. I mean its not like we have to wait for a long term regime of tablet-drug to build up in the body. The procedure itself takes about 5 minutes as I understand.

Anybody dare to estimate how much time, if it works, it will take for the regeneration to complete?

My opinion is that group of producers of hearing aids worldwide will do all to stop any real solution and if it comes out to buy it off cos they would lose money on selling severely expensive hearing aids. world is ruled by money, not by empathy for people who suffer, they don't give out hearing aids that like mine cost 4000€ to people who need it just as free...
IMO pharmaceutical companies are much more powerful than hearing aids companies

Big Pharma has way more $$$ and could and would absolutely obliterate the hearing aid industry if possible. In fact there are many major pharmaceutical giants invested in hair cell regeneration research of their own right now.

Don't worry - there's enough for both groups to make money off of people. Just like the glasses and optical industry. IF there is a cure many probably won't have access to it anytime soon or their level of difficulty won't be worth the cure (is cheaper or safer for hearing aid). And behind the scene s it really wouldn't be surprising if big pharma and the "hardware" companies aren't interrelated. In other words - they may already have their bases covered.

Exactly, just like Nokia stopped the smartphone and Kodak the digital photography.

Seriously, a nice try to bring some pessimism here but miserably failed, sorry. Hearing aid companies will not like it but they wont be able to stop it.

Don't worry - there's enough for both groups to make money off of people. Just like the glasses and optical industry. IF there is a cure many probably won't have access to it anytime soon or their level of difficulty won't be worth the cure (is cheaper or safer for hearing aid). And behind the scene s it really wouldn't be surprising if big pharma and the "hardware" companies aren't interrelated. In other words - they may already have their bases covered.
I agree, I vote for implant, some nice implant that will go into ear, and work like microphone for 10-20khz, and be connected into nerve, and therefore work for entire hearing cells...

Big Pharma has way more $$$ and could and would absolutely obliterate the hearing aid industry if possible. In fact there are many major pharmaceutical giants invested in hair cell regeneration research of their own right now.

Big pharma, what is that, as i know every cmpany is for itself, and when trethened hearing aids companies unite, cos people love more money than to help other people. it has been so for ages.

I wish they make inplant, into ear with icrophone that would connect to nerve and think is solved. we are anyway bount to have cibernatic upgrades in future, let this one be first of it, pure hearing inplant... and as there is many people it would need to be cheeper...

I agree, I vote for implant, some nice implant that will go into ear, and work like microphone for 10-20khz, and be connected into nerve, and therefore work for entire hearing cells...

That's what a cochlear implant is.
The technology isn't advanced enough to get anywhere close to natural hearing, but that's exactly what it's supposed to do and how it's supposed to work: bridge the microphone input to your hearing nerve.

Big pharma, what is that, as i know every cmpany is for itself, and when trethened hearing aids companies unite, cos people love more money than to help other people. it has been so for ages.

The pharmaceutical industry. You know? Pfizer. Bayer. Novartis. Glaxoklinesmith. Etcetera.

If they develop a cure or treatment for Tinnitus and hearing loss (which many are pursuing; you've heard of Novartis and GenVec pairing up) then they'll turn the hearing aid industry into the next blockbuster video. They have 1000 times the capital, influence, and drive of the hearing aid companies.

I skimmed through the Sonova (one of the largest hearing aid companies) annual report a while ago but couldn't find anything about hearing regeneration (imo, they should be including this in their risk section). Who knows, maybe one of the HA companies will join the regenerative market by a takeover? Although it won't be for immediately (they aren't venture capitalist) but if they wait too long the price to pay might be too high. As someone who is interested in business, I am very curious about how these companies will handle this threat.

Could we keep this thread focused on Frequency Therapeutics? If you want to debate HA companies vs Pharma, someone could start a thread on that topic.

What does "in the clinic mean"? Does that mean that it is ready for doctors to use on patients, or merely that they will start their phase 1 and 2 testing of the product?

I mean, if the trial shows brilliant results regarding both hearing restoration and T. And assuming after a year check up the don´t grow Cochlear hair cells out of their eyes or something, I just can´t see why this should not be fast tracked as anything ever before. I would just think that a drug taken orally and affects the brain directly, as many drugs do, there would be more things to worry about and thus take longer.
But what do I know!

I'm going to keep a close eye on progress cos I'm only 14 months in and I'm really struggling with the tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss. I hope things will move along swiftly and successfully. This is a truly disabling problem for all suffers which is totally misunderstood by the majority if the general public :(

Yes, I think that 5 years is the best case scenario, but it is feasable. Since it seems there won't be a proper phase 1, the drug is expected to show results in a short period of time and the fast track designation, maybe things will speed up... if the drug works (and that's a big assumption).

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now