I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by R. David Case, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      Mr. Case,

I ordered the Koss KTX-PRO1 but am using the Soundcore by Anker Life Q30 Hybrid wired during the day. I've only had tinnitus for about seven weeks. I have a couple of questions.

How loud should I play Tinnitus Mix when sleeping? I tried wearing earbuds in bed but could only sleep for a couple of hours. If I cannot sleep listening to it, how long in the day should I listen?

@dj_newark, I am sorry for the experience you had. I cannot imagine it getting worse. My heart goes out to you.

2. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 but not a problem till 10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music spiked with lyme disease
      Good luck with finding the right volume to play it. The volume changes drastically throughout the recording. The low parts are silent if you set the volume low at the peak. If you put the volume a bit higher, then it's hard to sleep. After several weeks of trying, I found the whole thing amusing. I had a good laugh and then called it quits. That was the point I decided to accept my situation, and since then, I've been able to live and sleep with it...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

R. David Case Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi. The volume should be set low, below your tinnitus level, as this is not a masker. I'm glad to help.

4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      David R Headcase

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Bob3382
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a bit inappropriate, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You might change your mind about how appropriate his comment is after a few weeks of listening to Tinnitus Mix. Please be sure to report your results.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Bob3382
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did it for 21 nights. There were a couple of days where I woke with very minimal hissing/ringing in my ears. Now that I have stopped doing it every night, the sounds are there again. The hardest thing was to keep the headphones on, as I tend to roll to my side. I usually ended up taking them off in my half-asleep, half-awake state, so I only had them on for 2-3 hours.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, you must keep the headphones on ALL night, every night, for 21 days. The solution to keeping headphones on is to use a headband to hold them on. Then, cut a hole in the foam pillow so that when on your side, the earpiece fits right in the hole and is very comfortable.

We are up to 3600 people helped by Tinnitus Mix.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 08-43-00 pillow with hole - Google Search.png

Tinnitus gone 7.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Varda
      Brooding

Varda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Azithromycin Z-pack
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. rei

rei Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow, that's freaking awesome!

11. Bob3382
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can you direct me to where you got the pillow in your post?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      R. David Case

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      They are available in many places. Here is a link to one from Walmart:

Walmart: Donut Pillow Coccyx Memory Foam Hemorrhoid Office Chair Cushion For Back Sciatica Orthopedic Recovery Wedge Cushion Car
      No, that's much worse than Tinnitus Mix. After a few days, Tinnitus Mix changes your perception into soothing sounds. Silent Hill's soundtrack will always be annoying.

13. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Fun fact: this song's squealing (?) noise is from a pitch-shifted dentist drill.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Two days of relief in 21 nights is not impressive. I do not have to do this, and my tinnitus varies—I can easily get 4-5 days out of 21 when it is fairly negligible.

Let us know if the results improve once you find a way of keeping the headphones on overnight.

Frankly, since Tinnitus Mix is worse than most people's tinnitus—far worse—I would question the sense of spending 1/3 of your time enduring this awful din in return for any improvement you may experience.

15. Bob3382
      Stressed

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am used to the sound of Tinnitus Mix at night. The alternative is loud hissing/whistling/buzzing in the middle of the night, with everything else being silent every night. There is, I sense, more to it. It seems to affect my emotions as well. I can't be exactly sure; it may result from not sleeping. Like you, I wish I could say that I can get 4-5 nights a month of relief. None for me so far.

16. Varda
      Brooding

Varda Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Azithromycin Z-pack
      I have a feeling that's how it produces results for some people. They are relieved not to listen to Tinnitus Mix anymore and hear their regular old tinnitus, which seems much more tolerable.

• Funny Funny x 2
    17. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      The alternative to Tinnitus Mix doesn't have to be silence. The alternative is environmental audio with thousands of crickets, katydids, and cicadas that help keep my focus off the tinnitus, although it doesn't mask it. It's not disturbing to listen to, like Tinnitus Mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Hi, everyone.

I remembered that I had an interesting experience in a year, let's say, 2016. Because I am a former musician and played in a loud underground band for almost a decade, I often had ringing ears after a show played in small local venues in my town. Sometimes I used earplugs while being onstage, and sometimes I didn't. Anyway, in the morning, I usually wake up without it. After one show, I woke up with mild tinnitus in my right ear but did not panic because I knew it would be gone in three days.

So I sat on my sofa and started listening to music. During the first few seconds, I felt mild pain in my right ear, and, I don't know why, I greatly turned up the volume and started banging my head (I guess I liked the song). I felt more pain, then heard a weird sound in my right ear. I also felt that the pain went in my neck and shoulder, and that's it—tinnitus and sensitivity were gone.

I don't remember the song, but I was listening to Motorhead really loud. This is how Lemmy once cured me of my tinnitus. Thank you, Lemmy and the Crew. God bless you all.

And this is why Lemmy is God. :LOL:

19. coolbeer
      Cool

coolbeer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Any update on your current status? Did you continue with Tinnitus Mix?