• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

I Invented a Sound That Knocked Out My Tinnitus

Headphones.

As an experiment listen to a rain or water sound through the night instead that has energy across the audible spectrum and see if that also has similar results, ideally something that mixes and changes over time. I imagine that it may well do, but I am willing to be wrong :)
@Steve how long did you listen to it and did you use the Koss KTX-PRO1? Many people assume they don't need the Koss and just use any headphones they have.

Headphones.

As an experiment listen to a rain or water sound through the night instead that has energy across the audible spectrum and see if that also has similar results, ideally something that mixes and changes over time. I imagine that it may well do, but I am willing to be wrong :)
I think you have a lot of audio experience but the headphones do matter and are relevant. I have come to the conclusion that there are multiple things going on in my Tinnitus Mix, the sounds are one component, the electromagnetic pulses coming from the Koss coils are another component. Together they form the essence of what makes this work.

It's kind of impossible when working at night to wear them, but I could try in the morning when taking a nap.

Of course it won't be the same but I don't have much of a choice. They're are indeed other members testing as well, hopefully some will report their findings soon.
Well I predict after stopping my Tinnitus Mix your tinnitus will slowly come back, I wish you would continue until it was knocked out completely. But because of your job that is difficult. Koss makes ear buds with titanium drivers like the headphones and go to 22 kHz. But I really don't like ear buds because they go in the ears.

Well I predict after stopping my Tinnitus Mix your tinnitus will slowly come back, I wish you would continue until it was knocked out completely. But because of your job that is difficult. Koss makes ear buds with titanium drivers like the headphones and go to 22 kHz. But I really don't like ear buds because they go in the ears.
Well my head tinnitus hasn't come back yet and my regular ringing is around 5/10 today.
I have time again in March to try if it gets worse again.

I always wake up to my worst head noise which is a very bad way to start out a day. Yesterday it seemed to be knocked out by valium and then I had someone help me get my tractor going ( for very little money) so I could plow snow, so I was in quite a good mood until I woke up today. It's like a broken record waking up to this crap hissing noise day after day.

If I could get my noise knocked out my quality of life would go up immensely, just like most people on this forum. I have the Koss headphones that David recommended but ran into some snags getting his sound mix to loop on my iPad. I can understand why it would possibly work when you are in your alpha state of sleep.

I wonder if taking zolpidem would have any negative effect on using David's sound mix? I can understand @Steve's reluctance to use it if he got a bad spike from it.

Right, I have this on my work MacBook. I'm feeling generous, so I will listen to this horrific cacophony for a few days at work. If this makes a significant difference, I will name my firstborn child David Chase.

Edit: I have no idea how you're supposed to sleep listening to this. It sounds like the aliens are probing me. I cannot imagine anyone married using this.

"Hey hon, want me to stick on that R. David Chase tape tonight while we spoon?"

"Sure, hon. Much better than those crickets at a campfire you used to play"

Can I compress this large audio file to an mp3 or m4a and still get the benefit? My iPhone doesn't play .wav
No I would not do that, mp3 is lossy, the quality of Tinnitus Mix must be high quality to get the full benefits. They do make a cheap mp3 player that does play wav. I use a Sony UX-560 digital recorder that is very small, and because it has an equalizer, I can adjust high frequencies up and the bass down. It seems to work better than just the CD or raw file.

Right, I have this on my work MacBook. I'm feeling generous, so I will listen to this horrific cacophony for a few days at work. If this makes a significant difference, I will name my firstborn child David Chase.

Edit: I have no idea how you're supposed to sleep listening to this. It sounds like the aliens are probing me. I cannot imagine anyone married using this.

My firstborn child David Case, that made me laugh two times.:LOL::)
Good luck to you

I understand. My home and work laptops both have VLC. I will try those.

I don't think I can sleep with this, being perfectly honest, and not just because of the sound, but I tend to move a lot while sleeping and the good ole' Koss headset you recommend is really not too comfortable to begin with.

Lol... yea everyone says that, by the way my name is CASE, You would not believe the amount of mail that I get in the name of DAVID CHASE...lol. It must be a subliminal thing.

Use on very low volume for a few days and pay attention to the frequency of your tinnitus before and after, I remember the first day I tried my Tinnitus Mix , before my tinnitus was so loud and had clock pulse characteristics, high shriek steady to moderate changes and a low drum beat of around 3 hertz mixed in, I would put my fingers in my ears to monitor the tinnitus and my fingers were JUMPING and moving to the 3 hertz part of the tinnitus.

After about 15 minutes I took of the headphones, put my fingers in my ears and my tinnitus sounded broken, there were parts of it having gaps.

After one day and night my tinnitus sounded like a dying electronic device, getting quieter and then just stopped. I got my life back and am prosperous again!!!

I don't think I can sleep with this, being perfectly honest, and not just because of the sound, but I tend to move a lot while sleeping and the good ole' Koss headset you recommend is really not too comfortable to begin with.
Yea, many say that too. Cut a hole in foam pillow and the earpiece will fit right in the hole, you can get these too online. You should be able to sleep with Tinnitus Mix after your system is used to the sounds by playing in day. I and many will tell you it changes and it almost feels as a protector or soothing after a wile (3-8 days).

Attachments

• pads for koss.PNG
    pads for koss.PNG
    314.2 KB · Views: 29
Sorry, David CASE. I'm a huge Sopranos fan. David Chase = Bad Mofo. David Case = We'll see.

I'm playing it right now with VLC on 30%, laptop on 50%. I will pay attention. I have no meetings coming up tomorrow and just one on Fri, so I think I can manage 2 days of 8 hours this week by just being at work.

Good luck to you
Good luck to you too, Sir. Godspeed.

Yea, many say that too. Cut a hole in foam pillow and the earpiece will fit right in the hole, you can get these too online. You should be able to sleep with Tinnitus Mix after your system is used to the sounds by playing in day. I and many will tell you it changes and it almost feels as a protector or soothing after a wile (3-8 days).
Well, you've got me listening, so I will give your Tinnitus Mix a try. Koss PortaPro. Far out. Takes me back to highschool and MiniDisc players. The kids today will never know.

I used these and put the Koss speakers in it.

309ADF40-FF29-4175-821B-AD42975C02D5.png

lol omg, this thing is a relationship killer.

How hard would a woman you brought home laugh if you put that thing on when you went to sleep?

If I do think I can sleep with this, I'll get these.

lol omg, this thing is a relationship killer.

How hard would a woman you brought home laugh if you put that thing on when you went to sleep?

If I do think I can sleep with this, I'll get these.
Yea I lucked out, my girlfriend has mild tinnitus and after her reading all the testimony letters she is sleeping with it too. And by the way it stops her tinnitus too.

Paused it at 45 minutes, it definitely changed the tinnitus to be more "stable". This is similar to when I was messing around with audio notch therapy at the onset of my tinnitus, which I kind of expected.

@SoundB0und are you still using the mix, any results?
I am and yes, the results are good. When people who have hyperacusis have spikes with the sound file I'm wondering how loud do they listen to.

When I had my spike, which I think was a permanent one, with the sound file, I was listening to the headphones that didn't have the manual volume adjustment with like 7 percent or so of volume on my phone. For about 10 minutes.

What I'm trying to say is if you have hyperacusis, 30 percent is total overkill from my experience. But maybe 7 percent is pretty loud with my phone too, I can hear words with most songs when the phone is 50 cm from my ear and the volume is at 1 percent.

I cant't imagine 7 percent on my phone being louder than 30 percent though on most devices, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I've been using the sound file now for about 3 weeks with my iPod pretty consistently and before it inconsistently for 2-3. From my experience, it does indeed work way better at night.

The volume I'm using is really low. My iPod is on lowest volume possible without being muted and the slider is about a quarter up, meaning quarter from mute. I've found that slow and steady works best because I have hyperacusis.

I've tried it slightly louder a few weeks ago but it wasn't as effective. It helps my hyperacusis as well if I do it on the right volume and consistently. I'm having by far the best days since my spike now about a year ago.

I believe that because I'm listening on such low volume the effect is much weaker, but higher volume hasn't yielded better results, at least so far. I will try upping the volume soon slightly to see what happens.

Regarding the Zolpidem question, I used to sleep with a low dose of Seroquel for sleep and was fine with the sound file. Not really the same class of meds but maybe it'll tell you something. I don't need it anymore because my tinnitus is so low now. I'm on a lot of (non-ototoxic) psych meds and haven't felt any ill effects.

GL everybody.

Re Volume: I have self inflicted hyperacusis, @R. David Case's sound mix I have on shuffle on my iPhone 5, the volume slider on the headphones I have set at 3 quarter volume and my iPhone on 3 bars so it's audible along side and maybe just a little higher in volume as my tinnitus, there's no way I could ever have the volume at 30%, that would kill me!

I have just finished day 8 and there has been very little change, what I have noticed is when I wake up in the morning my tinnitus is a little softer in my right ear which is my problem ear.
My tinnitus fluctuates immensely in my right ear so it's very hard to know whether it's softening slightly or it's just another fluctuation.

I will continue......

Rich

I am and yes, the results are good. When people who have hyperacusis have spikes with the sound file I'm wondering how loud do they listen to.

When I had my spike, which I think was a permanent one, with the sound file, I was listening to the headphones that didn't have the manual volume adjustment with like 7 percent or so of volume on my phone. For about 10 minutes.

What I'm trying to say is if you have hyperacusis, 30 percent is total overkill from my experience. But maybe 7 percent is pretty loud with my phone too, I can hear words with most songs when the phone is 50 cm from my ear and the volume is at 1 percent.

I cant't imagine 7 percent on my phone being louder than 30 percent though on most devices, my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I've been using the sound file now for about 3 weeks with my iPod pretty consistently and before it inconsistently for 2-3. From my experience, it does indeed work way better at night.

The volume I'm using is really low. My iPod is on lowest volume possible without being muted and the slider is about a quarter up, meaning quarter from mute. I've found that slow and steady works best because I have hyperacusis.

I've tried it slightly louder a few weeks ago but it wasn't as effective. It helps my hyperacusis as well if I do it on the right volume and consistently. I'm having by far the best days since my spike now about a year ago.

I believe that because I'm listening on such low volume the effect is much weaker, but higher volume hasn't yielded better results, at least so far. I will try upping the volume soon slightly to see what happens.

Regarding the Zolpidem question, I used to sleep with a low dose of Seroquel for sleep and was fine with the sound file. Not really the same class of meds but maybe it'll tell you something. I don't need it anymore because my tinnitus is so low now. I'm on a lot of (non-ototoxic) psych meds and haven't felt any ill effects.

GL everybody.
That's great news, it seems the ones who are really putting this thing to the test are the ones who are having good results, thanks for the info.

Are you planning to keep listening after the three weeks?

What if it's a girl?

I'm listening to this at work now. Busy office, people on their phones and enjouying music. I wonder how many of them realise I'm listening to the sound of their nightmares.

Slept OK last night, but I don't know if I can attribute any of that to this sound. I have no meetings today, so it will be 8 hours of this.

GL everybody.
Wow! This is great news!

Where's @Bam? He wanted to give it a go too. Too early for results?

Two nights now without David's Tinnitus Mix and good results are still here, if the head tinnitus comes back I'll give myself another nightly dose.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now