Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hopeful, Sep 6, 2013.

1. fabien

fabien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mp3 device
      I haven't checked forums about tinnitus since 2009

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i liked these lines from the decibel article.

" Data suggests “by restoring the synapse, the inner ear hearing circuit can be preserved, and hearing can be restored and maintained,” the company said. "

"Decibel is not the only company looking at new therapies for hearing loss. Other companies in the field include Otonomy(OTIC), Auris Medical (EARS), Autifony Therapeutics, and Audion Therapeutics. On Aug. 1, Otonomy announced the successful completion of a one-year, multiple-dose clinical safety trial of OTO-104 in patients with Ménière’s disease. In July, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted Fast Track Designation to Auris’ Keyzilen for acute peripheral tinnitus. "

like i said... this is the worst time to give up, something good for us is gonna come out soon :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
    5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I did misunderstand.

6. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes interesting. It does look like that to me too when I read the summary. Already preparing for competition? :p

The first thing I focussed on was the word "preserved". This would be too late for me.
      But than I read "restored" and "maintained", which sound much more attractive to me. Especially restored.:)

• Like Like x 2
    7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, Boehringer has Acousia in it's portfolio and they work with Kyoto University.
      Acousia is a small conpany founded by the same guy who founded one of the first company doing research on hair cell regeneration back in the 90's called Otogen.
      One part of Otogene founded Soundpharmaceuticals.
      So both might have a similar base of hair cell regeneration technology (speculation).

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Everyday I do the lotto and the funny thing is I couldn't care less about the money,I just want to win so I can donate it all to this research lol

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i actually do the same, not daily but every month i buy lottery tickets so i can donate!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you want to make the most of your money for research, you're better off giving the money you spend on lotto directly to research, and not buy your lotto ticket.
      That's how, statistically speaking, research is going to get the most money from you.

You'd be surprised how much you can collect that way. It adds up quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    11. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I don't think the money matters anymore. Too many start-ups now competing for a multi-billion dollar business. Money talks and companies listen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      If I won on lotto I would instead buy a beach house on some beautiful beach in tropical Asia with jungle sounds in the backyard and ocean sounds in front and inside the house and I would indulge in lifetime natural masking sounds of nature

• Like Like x 2
    13. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I already donated some higher amouts directly to a research lab, they are very very thankful and it's also a motivation if they see that people care about their work.
      I know, it's a little drop on a very hot stone, but it's something I can do.
      Believe me, they are doing absolutely passionate research no because of the money, they do research to help people!.

But yes, every lottery bilionaire is welcome to donate!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Too many startups competing for a treatment for Tinnitus? Are you joking?

15. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Lol yeah your probably right,I don't know why but I hate giving little donations as it seems minuscule in the grand sceam of things but it's all I have to give right now.I dream of being able to send 10,20,30 maybe even 40 mill to worthy caring organisations that are genuinely trying to fix this problem,presuming that my numbers came out for the EuroMillions.I know though,it's nearly impossible to win but screw it who knows,nothing would get those labs working harder than 40 mill getting thrown their way:ROFL:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not tinnitus, hearing loss. We are in the inner ear hair cell regeneration thread, but Yeah good point. No one cares about T. Hair cell regeneration could help or cure T though as a side affect if the T is caused by loss of hair cells. That is probably a ways out though. I'm thinking the first treatments will get people from severe/profound to moderate. Even that won't cure T since even moderate is at least 50db away from perfect hearing and you can get T with as little as a 10db loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      Nothing would get them spending more than having 40 mil thrown their way, working not so much.

18. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am thankful to you too sir.

Just think. People that do experience hearing problems (tinnitus, hyperacusis, Ménière, etc....) have difficulty understanding to what extend it can effect one's life. There already is much better understanding if someone in ones family has hearing issues.

Don't expect people to donate to research if there is no personal experience in this debilitating affliction.

I too donate what I think I can spare every month. (I need to put money aside for a future cure though:cool:)

I am thankful to all the people that donate!

19. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Which institutes are worth donating? I donated once to harvard and once to some UK institute

20. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am donating to Action On Hearing Loss, Stanford initiative to cure hearing loss and Hearing Health Foundation.

21. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

yes i mean standford not harvard. and second was HHF so its same.

22. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Unfortunately I have to agree with you there,seeing 40 mill sitting in their account brings out the greed in people with complete disregard for the greater good which is why I probably wouldn't give to them in one big payment but more so spread out payments in an effort to cut out reckless spending.Theres no point even discussing this though,sadly my numbers aren't coming in anytime soon lol.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is difficult to choose. There are more universities that do excellent work.
      I choose HHF and Action On Hearing Loss because they are not commercial undertakings.
      Also they bring together different researchers.

On a you-tube clip from 2012 Stanford talked about a 10 year "roadmap" initiative to cure hearing loss. (First clinical trial in ten years from 2012).
      I have not yet heard that this 10 year estimate has changed. So they are still "on track"? Or at least no big disappointments.
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7cXcmEynIQ

• Like Like x 1
    24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I mean Bull shit for that est., so, reading is argent. member 8930

25. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All that 10 year talk was replaced to within our lifetime. I'm pretty sure that whole 10 year thing is out the window as they realized it wasnt going to happen in such a short period of time. I remember comments like, "its a lot harder than we first though", etc etc and then they replaced the 10 year window with the lifetime pitch. It could still happen now that private companies have jumped on the bandwagon, but I don't think anyone foresaw that this early in the game.

26. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      more than 13 years ago, some companies wrote that hair cell regeneration will be available today. The 10 years term is equ than "we don't know but there is a chance to get there"
      But when I look back the last 10 years, we have some clinical trials running now, that's great! Next 10 years will bring even more exciting things imagine we could enhance some sensitivity in hearing or lowering T for some degree....I don't thing there will a diamond treatment soon.
      I hope one of the companies like Auris can earn some big money and invest in more advanced treatments like regeneration.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    27. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Call me Optimistic but i believe it can take less than 10 years.
      Science is moving so fast since 2010.
      its incredible the amount of news and articles about the subject we get per month.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    28. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am disappointed now. I did not realise this.:(
      But the first clinical trial has started some time ago and the next starts in 2017?
      Not too long ago Action On Hearing Loss made a bold statement that in the next 5 years clinical trials could start. Very general, but positive anyway.
      I agree with @tomytl. Things seems to be happening.

• Like Like x 2
    29. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      ....and there are maybe more coincidences like the finding, that an Alzheimer candidate is potentionally able to trigger hair cell regeneration in some degree.
      Probably the timeline for stem cells and an application for a treatment is more in the future than a drug based treatment developed from the knowlegde aquired by stem cell research in the auditory system.
      Stem cell replacement would probably tue gold standard, but I believe there are some silver and bronze inbetween....

• Like Like x 3
    30. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could it be like this?: For a drug based treatment researcher need to understand in detail how to manipulate cell division/trans differentiation. All the molecules, steps, processes, etc...
      In stem cell therapies it is the stem cells that "steer" the processes and have all the information in DNA and RNA. Often like nature/evolution "intended".
      More serendipity with stem cell therapies. We would call it serendipity because all the processes are not yet mapped.
      I already read several times that stem therapies did unexpected healing.

Or is this too simple or even complete rubbish:oops:?