Introducing Tinnitus Quest

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hazel, Jul 25, 2024.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      That's awesome, thank you so much :)
      Our Scientific Board has yet to establish the specific criteria for our grants, so I cannot really answer those questions. These are, however, the perfect type of questions to ask during our Ask Us Anything event on 26 October -- you can register on the Tinnitus Quest website, where you'll find the event on the timeline (homepage).

Off the top of my head, the typical recipient would be an academic working at a university or research institute and not a commercial party. Furthermore, yes, we could provide funding for drugs but not for expensive clinical trials (those cost millions) but rather for earlier stage proof of concept studies. Our entire approach is based on finding potential new treatments that could actually silence tinnitus, so that will be the guiding principle. But it's important to realize that discovering something is not the same as getting it to market -- there are many steps in between, and some of those will require big pharma or a venture capital firm to step in.

• Like Like x 3
    2. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      To prescribe medication, the practitioner must be licensed in the state where the prescription is being issued. NeuroMed is currently licensed in 10 to 12 states, but PA is not one of them (yet).

However, I spoke with someone named John from NeuroMed this morning, and he mentioned that he would look into the PA laws to see if there are any legal loopholes similar to those they’ve found in one or two other states. If not, he will provide me with the research article and paperwork that outlines the algorithm for medication recommendations, doses, and other relevant details. I could then take this information to my local ENT, who could prescribe the medication while I participate in the other aspects of the NeuroMed program.

I personally want to explore this further because, even in my brief conversation with John about my variable, sound-reactive tinnitus that includes loud spikes and changes, he said my reactivity would make me an ideal candidate for their migraine protocol. If I can manage my sound sensitivity and reactivity with the medication and supplements, it would address more than half of my struggle.

Perhaps we can start a thread under “Treatments” where anyone who tries Dr. Djalilian’s program or protocol can share their experiences. I’d love to hear from patients who have already completed the program if they are on Tinnitus Talk.

3. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Concerning NeuroMed: I checked the website, but the cost to enroll appears to be $2600.

Do different prices apply if you only make use of telehealth? Plus, has anyone outside of the US already tried this?

I wonder how difficult it would be to obtain any kind of coverage for this through my (European) healthcare provider.

@ErikaS, I agree; a dedicated thread for this would be really helpful. I'm willing to give it a shot (depending on cost) and report back here.

4. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      I was offered a significantly reduced rate because I would need to work with my ENT in Pennsylvania for prescriptions. The state doesn't allow me to have direct consultations with them outside of the free, 30-minute initial consultation. However, the program they offered includes unlimited email consultations between my ENT and NeuroMed’s NP regarding medications and related questions.

The reduced rate is under $1,000, but I’m not comfortable sharing the exact amount because I believe it was tailored specifically to my situation.

I started the thread:
      NeuroMed Tinnitus Program — Founded by Dr. Hamid Djalilian

• Like Like x 4
    5. Tim Dziwisch

Tim Dziwisch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Event
      Hey Hazel :)

I saw the first video on Instagram yesterday, along with the comments about contributing to the patient board. I had the same question. I signed up for Tinnitus Quest at the very beginning to express my interest in helping and shared my qualifications. However, I still don’t have a clear understanding of how everything works with Tinnitus Quest.

I’m still interested in helping and wanted to ask what the process is like. I’m currently studying for a Master's degree in Management and hope I can be helpful in some way :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Tim, thanks for wanting to help out. The reality is that we've been swamped with literally hundreds of emails with questions, volunteer applications, and applications to take part in the Patient Board. But at the moment, we have to focus our energy 100% on a successful launch. This week, for instance, we're sending out a press release, and I'm very busy with that (in my spare hours, next to my day job). And there's a bunch of admin stuff that goes with setting up a new non-profit that has kept us busy as well. Not to mention creating all those videos and social media posts.

I'm telling you this just so that you have some background on what's going on behind the scenes, and you can understand why we have not yet reached out to you. I hope that later this month, I can carve out some time to review the hundreds of queries we received and respond to everyone individually. So please don't take our lack of response as a lack of interest! I promise to get back to you at some point, but I cannot give you a hard promise on the timing. :)

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Tim Dziwisch

Tim Dziwisch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Event
      Hey Hazel,

That sounds great! I can imagine it's a lot of effort and hard work, but it's also fantastic that there's so much interest.

Hopefully, you'll have a few more helping hands on the team in the future. :)

Thanks again, and much respect to you and the team. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Please note that registration is now open for the following live public events:
      • 18 September - Q&A with Dr. Berthold Langguth
      • 5 October - Q&A with Dr. Dirk de Ridder
      • 26 October - Ask Us Anything with the full board of Tinnitus Quest

Just go to the Tinnitus Quest homepage and scroll down to the timeline, where you will find Register Now buttons for each event. We look forward to seeing you there!

• Like Like x 3
    9. Carolyn Goatley

Carolyn Goatley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      There are some drugs available for depression, even though the causes of depression are not fully understood. I believe it's possible to find a cure—or at least a decent treatment—without knowing exactly what the cause is. It's similar to how researchers approached HIV. They figured out how to stop the virus from replicating with medication, even though they haven't yet found a way to completely eradicate it from the body, as the virus hides in cells. This is why people can live normal lives and avoid transmitting the virus while on medication and remaining undetectable. However, if they stop taking the medication, the virus can return and even mutate, making the medications less effective.

Some viral infections, like HSV, don't have good animal models for testing treatments and potential cures. I'm not sure if this is an issue with tinnitus, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were. Without good animal models, it's very difficult to advance a treatment or cure to the stage of human testing in the U.S.

I've heard of researchers moving their work out of the U.S. due to all the red tape and delays. I assume this is one of the challenges we face. I might have to make a trip to Germany someday if you develop something worth testing, but I'll need to review the research and thoroughly assess the safety first.

10. Myrna Michell

Myrna Michell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distortion in one ear from head movement
      Thank you for discussing Eustachian tube clicks. I had been wondering for a couple of years what was happening when I swallowed. And yes, it does contribute to the noise spectrum in my right ear. I have Acoustic Neuroma, which has caused tinnitus on the right side, while my left ear has experienced tinnitus since 1992.

Sleep deprivation has also been an issue. I was too stressed to sleep during that time, and one morning, the ringing in my ears didn’t stop—New Year's Day, 1992!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Bhaveen

Bhaveen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Hi @Hazel,

I received an email yesterday from Tinnitus Quest, which mentioned that a German entrepreneur was a driving force behind its establishment. That’s great! I was wondering if there are plans to bring more high-net-worth individuals on board, and possibly even some celebrities who suffer from this condition?

It feels like a lack of funding and awareness is hindering progress toward a cure. Having the backing of influential people could potentially help drive us closer to a solution.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Sandie

Sandie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After ear surgery
      I recently saw that there is a clinical trial for a nasal spray medication for tinnitus. Would this clinical trial be a part of Tinnitus Quest?

13. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Check the Gateway Biotechnology thread under Research News. Is that what you are referring to? If the answer is yes, then no, Tinnitus Quest will not be funding it for obvious reasons.

14. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm so happy to see my vision finally come to fruition—a dedicated, research-focused nonprofit built on the fundamental principle of transparency. After personal setbacks prevented me from moving forward before, this success fills me with a renewed dose of hope!

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just to clarify, even though we established in Germany, we are operating worldwide and will be funding research worldwide. A trip to Germany thus might not be necessary :)

We are also seeking to establish ourselves as a 501(c)3 in the US.
      Yes, that is indeed what we are doing. We, in fact, got a pledge of a significant sum from another entrepreneur with tinnitus. I don't want to say more about that until it's a done deal though; I don't want to jinx it!

The celebrity bit is more difficult. We have been trying this for many years, long before Tinnitus Quest, and it's always turned out extremely difficult, because tinnitus is not a 'sexy' condition and most celebrities just don't want to talk about it. And that's of course if you are even able to reach them. So I'm less optimistic on that front, but we are trying.
      I would need a bit more detail to understand what you are referring to, but if there is already a trial ongoing, they probably won't need funding from us. We are seeking to fund new, previously unexplored, treatment options.
      Thank you for pitching in and for the kind words! I had been meaning to reach out to you, because I know this is close to your vision and we'd love to have you involved in some way. Let's have a call soon if you're willing.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Wouter De Blaere

Wouter De Blaere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is there a way to find out how much funding Tinnitus Quest has received? I’m interested in contributing, but I would also like to have some insight into the nonprofit’s growth potential.