• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Introducing Tinnitus Quest

I made my first donation to Tinnitus Quest today. I will try and make one every month if I can.
That's awesome, thank you so much :)
Regarding funding for new research, could funding be established for projects that have just begun? Will this funding be limited to private companies, or could public institutions also benefit from these donations? Additionally, could researchers working on a molecule (drug) receive support from these funds?
Our Scientific Board has yet to establish the specific criteria for our grants, so I cannot really answer those questions. These are, however, the perfect type of questions to ask during our Ask Us Anything event on 26 October -- you can register on the Tinnitus Quest website, where you'll find the event on the timeline (homepage).

Off the top of my head, the typical recipient would be an academic working at a university or research institute and not a commercial party. Furthermore, yes, we could provide funding for drugs but not for expensive clinical trials (those cost millions) but rather for earlier stage proof of concept studies. Our entire approach is based on finding potential new treatments that could actually silence tinnitus, so that will be the guiding principle. But it's important to realize that discovering something is not the same as getting it to market -- there are many steps in between, and some of those will require big pharma or a venture capital firm to step in.

It doesn't matter where you are based. They treat and guide you through telehealth (over the internet).
To prescribe medication, the practitioner must be licensed in the state where the prescription is being issued. NeuroMed is currently licensed in 10 to 12 states, but PA is not one of them (yet).

However, I spoke with someone named John from NeuroMed this morning, and he mentioned that he would look into the PA laws to see if there are any legal loopholes similar to those they've found in one or two other states. If not, he will provide me with the research article and paperwork that outlines the algorithm for medication recommendations, doses, and other relevant details. I could then take this information to my local ENT, who could prescribe the medication while I participate in the other aspects of the NeuroMed program.

I personally want to explore this further because, even in my brief conversation with John about my variable, sound-reactive tinnitus that includes loud spikes and changes, he said my reactivity would make me an ideal candidate for their migraine protocol. If I can manage my sound sensitivity and reactivity with the medication and supplements, it would address more than half of my struggle.

Perhaps we can start a thread under "Treatments" where anyone who tries Dr. Djalilian's program or protocol can share their experiences. I'd love to hear from patients who have already completed the program if they are on Tinnitus Talk.

Concerning NeuroMed: I checked the website, but the cost to enroll appears to be $2600.

Do different prices apply if you only make use of telehealth? Plus, has anyone outside of the US already tried this?

I wonder how difficult it would be to obtain any kind of coverage for this through my (European) healthcare provider.

@ErikaS, I agree; a dedicated thread for this would be really helpful. I'm willing to give it a shot (depending on cost) and report back here.

Concerning NeuroMed: I checked the website, but the cost to enroll appears to be $2600.

Do different prices apply if you only make use of telehealth? Plus, has anyone outside of the US already tried this?

I wonder how difficult it would be to obtain any kind of coverage for this through my (European) healthcare provider.

@ErikaS, I agree; a dedicated thread for this would be really helpful. I'm willing to give it a shot (depending on cost) and report back here.
I was offered a significantly reduced rate because I would need to work with my ENT in Pennsylvania for prescriptions. The state doesn't allow me to have direct consultations with them outside of the free, 30-minute initial consultation. However, the program they offered includes unlimited email consultations between my ENT and NeuroMed's NP regarding medications and related questions.

The reduced rate is under $1,000, but I'm not comfortable sharing the exact amount because I believe it was tailored specifically to my situation.

I started the thread:
NeuroMed Tinnitus Program — Founded by Dr. Hamid Djalilian

Hi Tim, thanks for wanting to volunteer! Please give us a few weeks to get back to you as we're still very busy with our launch. I'll be interviewing potential volunteers probably in September :)
Hey Hazel :)

I saw the first video on Instagram yesterday, along with the comments about contributing to the patient board. I had the same question. I signed up for Tinnitus Quest at the very beginning to express my interest in helping and shared my qualifications. However, I still don't have a clear understanding of how everything works with Tinnitus Quest.

I'm still interested in helping and wanted to ask what the process is like. I'm currently studying for a Master's degree in Management and hope I can be helpful in some way :)

Hey Hazel :)

I saw the first video on Instagram yesterday, along with the comments about contributing to the patient board. I had the same question. I signed up for Tinnitus Quest at the very beginning to express my interest in helping and shared my qualifications. However, I still don't have a clear understanding of how everything works with Tinnitus Quest.

I'm still interested in helping and wanted to ask what the process is like. I'm currently studying for a Master's degree in Management and hope I can be helpful in some way :)
Hi Tim, thanks for wanting to help out. The reality is that we've been swamped with literally hundreds of emails with questions, volunteer applications, and applications to take part in the Patient Board. But at the moment, we have to focus our energy 100% on a successful launch. This week, for instance, we're sending out a press release, and I'm very busy with that (in my spare hours, next to my day job). And there's a bunch of admin stuff that goes with setting up a new non-profit that has kept us busy as well. Not to mention creating all those videos and social media posts.

I'm telling you this just so that you have some background on what's going on behind the scenes, and you can understand why we have not yet reached out to you. I hope that later this month, I can carve out some time to review the hundreds of queries we received and respond to everyone individually. So please don't take our lack of response as a lack of interest! I promise to get back to you at some point, but I cannot give you a hard promise on the timing. :)

Hi Tim, thanks for wanting to help out. The reality is that we've been swamped with literally hundreds of emails with questions, volunteer applications, and applications to take part in the Patient Board. But at the moment, we have to focus our energy 100% on a successful launch. This week, for instance, we're sending out a press release, and I'm very busy with that (in my spare hours, next to my day job). And there's a bunch of admin stuff that goes with setting up a new non-profit that has kept us busy as well. Not to mention creating all those videos and social media posts.

I'm telling you this just so that you have some background on what's going on behind the scenes, and you can understand why we have not yet reached out to you. I hope that later this month, I can carve out some time to review the hundreds of queries we received and respond to everyone individually. So please don't take our lack of response as a lack of interest! I promise to get back to you at some point, but I cannot give you a hard promise on the timing. :)
Hey Hazel,

That sounds great! I can imagine it's a lot of effort and hard work, but it's also fantastic that there's so much interest.

Hopefully, you'll have a few more helping hands on the team in the future. :)

Thanks again, and much respect to you and the team. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Please note that registration is now open for the following live public events:
  • 18 September - Q&A with Dr. Berthold Langguth
  • 5 October - Q&A with Dr. Dirk de Ridder
  • 26 October - Ask Us Anything with the full board of Tinnitus Quest

Just go to the Tinnitus Quest homepage and scroll down to the timeline, where you will find Register Now buttons for each event. We look forward to seeing you there!

Good question, and I completely agree regarding the importance of point 1. It's all a question of funding and timing though. Fundamental research takes a LONG time and a LOT of funding to make the translation to actual treatments. With less funding and wanting to make quick progress, we felt we'd have the most chance of success with point 3. This doesn't negate the importance of the other two in any way, and we will work closely with other funding providers to hopefully ensure that these areas are covered by organizations that are best placed to do so.

I hope that makes sense :)
There are some drugs available for depression, even though the causes of depression are not fully understood. I believe it's possible to find a cure—or at least a decent treatment—without knowing exactly what the cause is. It's similar to how researchers approached HIV. They figured out how to stop the virus from replicating with medication, even though they haven't yet found a way to completely eradicate it from the body, as the virus hides in cells. This is why people can live normal lives and avoid transmitting the virus while on medication and remaining undetectable. However, if they stop taking the medication, the virus can return and even mutate, making the medications less effective.

Some viral infections, like HSV, don't have good animal models for testing treatments and potential cures. I'm not sure if this is an issue with tinnitus, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were. Without good animal models, it's very difficult to advance a treatment or cure to the stage of human testing in the U.S.

I've heard of researchers moving their work out of the U.S. due to all the red tape and delays. I assume this is one of the challenges we face. I might have to make a trip to Germany someday if you develop something worth testing, but I'll need to review the research and thoroughly assess the safety first.

@Hazel, I kindly request some research or experimental treatment on reactive tinnitus. After some polypharmacy, a few months after my acoustic trauma, I got reactive tinnitus, which was quite bad off the start. It was reactive to as little as brushing my teeth off the bat, and within a week, it became reactive to all sounds, even after being in silence 24/7 with hearing protection.

Noise makes it worse, including just trying to survive. It's so extreme that I'm afraid to drink water because if my Eustachian tubes click too loud when I swallow, I get more tones for the day.

Reactive tinnitus is incredibly debilitating, even more than catastrophic noxacusis. The worst part is that it is progressive with no treatment.

Please make reactive tinnitus a focal point. I'm sure the answer could also greatly benefit hyperacusis and maybe even visual snow syndrome.
Thank you for discussing Eustachian tube clicks. I had been wondering for a couple of years what was happening when I swallowed. And yes, it does contribute to the noise spectrum in my right ear. I have Acoustic Neuroma, which has caused tinnitus on the right side, while my left ear has experienced tinnitus since 1992.

Sleep deprivation has also been an issue. I was too stressed to sleep during that time, and one morning, the ringing in my ears didn't stop—New Year's Day, 1992!

Hi @Hazel,

I received an email yesterday from Tinnitus Quest, which mentioned that a German entrepreneur was a driving force behind its establishment. That's great! I was wondering if there are plans to bring more high-net-worth individuals on board, and possibly even some celebrities who suffer from this condition?

It feels like a lack of funding and awareness is hindering progress toward a cure. Having the backing of influential people could potentially help drive us closer to a solution.

I recently saw that there is a clinical trial for a nasal spray medication for tinnitus. Would this clinical trial be a part of Tinnitus Quest?

I recently saw that there is a clinical trial for a nasal spray medication for tinnitus. Would this clinical trial be a part of Tinnitus Quest?
Check the Gateway Biotechnology thread under Research News. Is that what you are referring to? If the answer is yes, then no, Tinnitus Quest will not be funding it for obvious reasons.

I'm so happy to see my vision finally come to fruition—a dedicated, research-focused nonprofit built on the fundamental principle of transparency. After personal setbacks prevented me from moving forward before, this success fills me with a renewed dose of hope!

I've heard of researchers moving their work out of the U.S. due to all the red tape and delays. I assume this is one of the challenges we face. I might have to make a trip to Germany someday if you develop something worth testing, but I'll need to review the research and thoroughly assess the safety first.
Just to clarify, even though we established in Germany, we are operating worldwide and will be funding research worldwide. A trip to Germany thus might not be necessary :)

We are also seeking to establish ourselves as a 501(c)3 in the US.
I received an email yesterday from Tinnitus Quest, which mentioned that a German entrepreneur was a driving force behind its establishment. That's great! I was wondering if there are plans to bring more high-net-worth individuals on board, and possibly even some celebrities who suffer from this condition?
Yes, that is indeed what we are doing. We, in fact, got a pledge of a significant sum from another entrepreneur with tinnitus. I don't want to say more about that until it's a done deal though; I don't want to jinx it!

The celebrity bit is more difficult. We have been trying this for many years, long before Tinnitus Quest, and it's always turned out extremely difficult, because tinnitus is not a 'sexy' condition and most celebrities just don't want to talk about it. And that's of course if you are even able to reach them. So I'm less optimistic on that front, but we are trying.
I would need a bit more detail to understand what you are referring to, but if there is already a trial ongoing, they probably won't need funding from us. We are seeking to fund new, previously unexplored, treatment options.
I'm so happy to see my vision finally come to fruition—a dedicated, research-focused nonprofit built on the fundamental principle of transparency. After personal setbacks prevented me from moving forward before, this success fills me with a renewed dose of hope!
Thank you for pitching in and for the kind words! I had been meaning to reach out to you, because I know this is close to your vision and we'd love to have you involved in some way. Let's have a call soon if you're willing.

Is there a way to find out how much funding Tinnitus Quest has received? I'm interested in contributing, but I would also like to have some insight into the nonprofit's growth potential.
Yes, we're looking into building a counter into the website that tracks the total amount raised. Coming soon, hopefully.

We have now raised about $200k -- most of which comes from high-net-worth individuals and about $7k comes from website visitors (over a period of just two weeks, so that seems promising). We also have a pledge from a high-net-worth individual for $1M -- this person even mentioned wanting to donate $25M if we show some real progress! -- but we'll have to see if that comes through. I hope that helps!
Hi @Hazel,

Would you be so kind as to share the link for tomorrow's meeting with Prof. Langguth?

I couldn't find the registration link on the website.

Thank you so much!
We just created this new Events page, where you can sign up for future events: https://tinnitusquest.com/events/

You will have to register yourself in order to get the link :)

Yes, we're looking into building a counter into the website that tracks the total amount raised. Coming soon, hopefully.

We have now raised about $200k -- most of which comes from high-net-worth individuals and about $7k comes from website visitors (over a period of just two weeks, so that seems promising). We also have a pledge from a high-net-worth individual for $1M -- this person even mentioned wanting to donate $25M if we show some real progress! -- but we'll have to see if that comes through. I hope that helps!

We just created this new Events page, where you can sign up for future events: https://tinnitusquest.com/events/

You will have to register yourself in order to get the link :)
Thanks, @Hazel. I was recently at the Brai3n office in Belgium, where Dr. De Ridder works, among others. One of the board members mentioned that they would need €10 million to create a device like Lenire, but of course, a better one. A few hundred thousand wouldn't be enough—we really need to emphasize millions. Let's make it happen!

First of all, I want to make it clear that this is not meant to be personally negative toward you. However, I must admit, I feel a bit disappointed.

After frequently reading about wealthy and well-known individuals, particularly those featured in videos, I had the impression that raising several million would be within reach. I also thought that involving musicians who suffer from tinnitus might help expand our reach. It's disheartening that no celebrities are involved. I sincerely hope that we can raise several million by next year when things begin. It's hard to believe that the social media accounts have gained so little traction, especially when we see how many people are active on Tinnitus Talk—not to mention all those in other tinnitus groups.

I recently watched a few minutes of Prof. Langguth's lecture. However, when the question came up about how he would allocate 50 million, and he said he would invest it in existing treatments like CBT, it made my stomach turn. That's not the stated goal of Tinnitus Quest.

Despite this, I remain optimistic about the future, just like Dr. Djalilian. It's not a question of if we'll be cured, but when.

I found the Q&A with Dr. Langguth to be rather uninspiring.

The main topics discussed were CBT and tinnitus disorder, both of which were frequently mentioned. A few questions were asked about XEN1011 and Lenire & Dr. Shore devices. Dr. Langguth mentioned that Lenire is a good option for some patients when compared to other alternatives. Did he hint at Auricle conducting another 'bigger trial'? It seemed so, especially after he spoke at length about inadequate blinding in previous studies.

He also mentioned that Dr. Djalilian's protocol could potentially be beneficial for intermittent tinnitus, which was at least a refreshing moment of honesty.

Regarding hyperacusis, he occasionally prescribes Clomipramine, with some success.

Unfortunately, there were no questions about middle ear implants or Neurosoft. I would have liked to hear his opinion on that research.

Thanks, @Hazel. I was recently at the Brai3n office in Belgium, where Dr. De Ridder works, among others. One of the board members mentioned that they would need €10 million to create a device like Lenire, but of course, a better one. A few hundred thousand wouldn't be enough—we really need to emphasize millions. Let's make it happen!
It's important to distinguish between two aspects when it comes to cost:
  1. The cost of 'discovering' a new experimental approach that may silence tinnitus;
  2. The cost of bringing such a discovery to the market.
Tinnitus Quest is focusing on #1, where a few million or even less can go a long way and allows you to try out various experimental approaches in proof of concept studies.

Once we find something, #2 will kick in, and this is where it becomes really expensive. To bring a new discovery to market, there are many steps involved, including: a sequence of clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy, designing all the ins and outs of the device (or formula, if we're talking about a drug), designing and refining a protocol of how the treatment should be applied, training physicians, not to mention the actual production of the device/drug and figuring out how to do that at scale. Then there's things like pricing, marketing, distribution, you name it. The cost of bringing a new drug to market is, on average, more than several $100M; I think devices are cheaper, but still in that range.

So, if -- as we hope -- we discover a promising new approach with Tinnitus Quest, then we'll need significant investment from venture capital or industry to cover the costs of #2. But the good news is that the discovery phase itself should not cost too much.

All that said, yes, of course, we absolutely should go for many millions! :D The higher the chance that we'll discover something valuable because we'll be able to put our eggs in many baskets.
After frequently reading about wealthy and well-known individuals, particularly those featured in videos, I had the impression that raising several million would be within reach. I also thought that involving musicians who suffer from tinnitus might help expand our reach. It's disheartening that no celebrities are involved. I sincerely hope that we can raise several million by next year when things begin. It's hard to believe that the social media accounts have gained so little traction, especially when we see how many people are active on Tinnitus Talk—not to mention all those in other tinnitus groups.
First of all, thank you for your continued support and optimism. Let me address your two points in turn:

Regarding the fundraising and celebrities, I fear I may have been a bit pessimistic previously. It's just that over the past decade or so, we have so many times heard people say, "can't we just ask celebrity X to champion our cause?" but there was never anyone who was able to reach such a celebrity and it was always disappointing to see that despite many celebrities having tinnitus, none of them would take it up as a cause. We would hear from people within the entertainment industry (music mainly, but also other creative professions) that many have tinnitus and complain about it behind the scenes but are afraid to talk about it publicly for fear of harming their careers. There seemed to be at best a 'non-sexy cause' label and at worst a real stigma on people speaking out.

Now, however, I am more optimistic. We have Jack Rubinacci tirelessly reaching out to musicians and artists, initially within his own network and now far beyond. It's becoming a bit of a snowball effect whereby more and more of them are willing to speak out; Jack is recording videos with each of them. So far, we haven't gotten any international A-list celebrities, but definitely people who are well known within a certain circle, e.g., one of the most popular singers in Norway, and a music producer who has worked for U2, Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam, Sheryl Crow and many more famous artists.

@Markku said to me the other day that for the first time since he's been at this game (since 2011) he is starting to believe that maybe we can get a major celebrity involved. That would definitely be a game-changer!
I recently watched a few minutes of Prof. Langguth's lecture. However, when the question came up about how he would allocate 50 million, and he said he would invest it in existing treatments like CBT, it made my stomach turn. That's not the stated goal of Tinnitus Quest.
You're right, this is not the stated goal of Tinnitus Quest, and I agree his answer was not the most inspiring.

I just went back to the recording to check his answer to that question, and he mentioned so many things, from brain stimulation to physical therapy to sound therapy, to CBT, to pharmacology. He mentioned the importance of trying combinations of approaches (which he is right has barely been tried yet, so definitely worth a try) and also gave the example of how Lidocaine can silence tinnitus completely in many people, which demonstrates that it can, in fact, be done, and that gives him hope for a cure.

Still, you're right; there was not a unique, fresh, out-of-the-box idea in there. We hope to get that from young researchers who will be applying for our grants. Nevertheless, we can benefit from Dr. Langguth's deep expertise in study methods and design to help create the parameters for our grants program. The ultimate decision-making power will lie with the Executive Board, though (myself, @Markku, Sven, Dirk, and Hamid), and you can rest assured that we will only be funding new ideas that could really silence tinnitus.
I found the Q&A with Dr. Langguth to be rather uninspiring.

The main topics discussed were CBT and tinnitus disorder, both of which were frequently mentioned. A few questions were asked about XEN1011 and Lenire & Dr. Shore devices. Dr. Langguth mentioned that Lenire is a good option for some patients when compared to other alternatives. Did he hint at Auricle conducting another 'bigger trial'? It seemed so, especially after he spoke at length about inadequate blinding in previous studies.

He also mentioned that Dr. Djalilian's protocol could potentially be beneficial for intermittent tinnitus, which was at least a refreshing moment of honesty.

Regarding hyperacusis, he occasionally prescribes Clomipramine, with some success.

Unfortunately, there were no questions about middle ear implants or Neurosoft. I would have liked to hear his opinion on that research.
Thanks, I can understand your sentiment. I think this Q&A will be more beneficial to someone who is not as deep into the research as you, i.e., to get a general overview of the field. So, I still think it has value in that sense, and many of such people might also be potential donors. See also my comments above in response to @Tim Dziwisch. No one submitted questions on middle ear implants or Neurosoft, that's why I didn't ask about that :)

It's important to distinguish between two aspects when it comes to cost:
  1. The cost of 'discovering' a new experimental approach that may silence tinnitus;
  2. The cost of bringing such a discovery to the market.
Tinnitus Quest is focusing on #1, where a few million or even less can go a long way and allows you to try out various experimental approaches in proof of concept studies.

Once we find something, #2 will kick in, and this is where it becomes really expensive. To bring a new discovery to market, there are many steps involved, including: a sequence of clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy, designing all the ins and outs of the device (or formula, if we're talking about a drug), designing and refining a protocol of how the treatment should be applied, training physicians, not to mention the actual production of the device/drug and figuring out how to do that at scale. Then there's things like pricing, marketing, distribution, you name it. The cost of bringing a new drug to market is, on average, more than several $100M; I think devices are cheaper, but still in that range.

So, if -- as we hope -- we discover a promising new approach with Tinnitus Quest, then we'll need significant investment from venture capital or industry to cover the costs of #2. But the good news is that the discovery phase itself should not cost too much.

All that said, yes, of course, we absolutely should go for many millions! :D The higher the chance that we'll discover something valuable because we'll be able to put our eggs in many baskets.
I'm a bit surprised here. Forty years of research has been done, and Susan Shore is so close to a breakthrough. Dr. De Ridder has discovered the "switch" that toggles tinnitus on and off. The TU Delft device is in development, and the Lenire device was an experimental step forward.

It seems like the time has come to create devices based on existing knowledge, rather than reinventing the wheel. Forgive my impatience, but the #1 point you mentioned feels like funding research from scratch, which doesn't seem very promising.

Maybe I'm not getting the full picture — that's entirely possible!

I'm a bit surprised here. Forty years of research has been done, and Susan Shore is so close to a breakthrough. Dr. De Ridder has discovered the "switch" that toggles tinnitus on and off. The TU Delft device is in development, and the Lenire device was an experimental step forward.

It seems like the time has come to create devices based on existing knowledge, rather than reinventing the wheel. Forgive my impatience, but the #1 point you mentioned feels like funding research from scratch, which doesn't seem very promising.

Maybe I'm not getting the full picture — that's entirely possible!
I do agree that important progress has been made! But according to what I know, none of the things you mention have proven to be a silver bullet yet. I don't think very highly of Lenire at all, which the company itself has admitted is merely a habituation aid. I am hopeful, but I have a good dose of healthy skepticism about Dr. Shore's device. And to my knowledge, Dr. de Ridder's theories have yet to be translated into a viable proof of concept. Furthermore, we have to keep in mind that even if one of the approaches you mention is a cure, it's very likely only a cure for some people, and we will need a diversity of approaches to cure everyone.

We're not necessarily disagreeing, though! Tinnitus Quest would certainly consider funding the "creation of new devices based on existing knowledge," as you put it. In fact, that could be precisely something we would fund.

My point is that we would only be able to fund the first stage of such development, i.e., the part where you go from theory to practice and provide some kind of proof of concept showing that this treatment could really silence tinnitus.

All the development that comes after that -- much of which is not even research-related at all, but rather operational, logistical, legal, and commercial in nature -- would cost 100s of millions. So if we can raise 100s of millions, we would be more than happy to fund that stage of development as well, haha. But for now, we have to be a bit more modest. We can take the first steps, hopefully creating the spark for others -- i.e., most likely commercial parties like VC firms or Big Pharma -- to provide even bigger investments.

I am quite sure that the remark made by the Brai3n board member also does not refer to the full cost of bringing a device to market but rather only the first stage. There is no way on earth you can successfully bring a medical device to market for only 10M.

I hope I was able to explain it a bit better this time. Because I don't think what you and I are saying is contradictory at all. And I do agree that we should be ambitious in our aims and aim for millions at the least! :)

Hey @Hazel,

If you guys need a good resource for Jack to start reaching out to celebrities — especially in the music and Hollywood industries — check out this link: https://bookingagentinfo.com/.

It provides accurate information for management, publicists, and more. If you're trying to find someone specific and need help, let me know. I'm happy to do skip tracing for anyone in the U.S.

Reaching out to celebrities and asking if they have tinnitus or know someone who does might lead to some good opportunities, especially from those who haven't publicly mentioned their tinnitus. We've got nothing to lose by reaching out!

@Hazel, you might consider reaching out to Nicole Shanahan. According to Dr. Kruse's podcast, she recently invested a significant amount of money into research for a computer that doesn't emit blue light. She is interested in funding early-stage projects related to health and well-being that align with her values. Additionally, her daughter has autism, and autism research is a topic of personal interest to her.

I do agree that important progress has been made! But according to what I know, none of the things you mention have proven to be a silver bullet yet. I don't think very highly of Lenire at all, which the company itself has admitted is merely a habituation aid. I am hopeful, but I have a good dose of healthy skepticism about Dr. Shore's device. And to my knowledge, Dr. de Ridder's theories have yet to be translated into a viable proof of concept. Furthermore, we have to keep in mind that even if one of the approaches you mention is a cure, it's very likely only a cure for some people, and we will need a diversity of approaches to cure everyone.

We're not necessarily disagreeing, though! Tinnitus Quest would certainly consider funding the "creation of new devices based on existing knowledge," as you put it. In fact, that could be precisely something we would fund.

My point is that we would only be able to fund the first stage of such development, i.e., the part where you go from theory to practice and provide some kind of proof of concept showing that this treatment could really silence tinnitus.

All the development that comes after that -- much of which is not even research-related at all, but rather operational, logistical, legal, and commercial in nature -- would cost 100s of millions. So if we can raise 100s of millions, we would be more than happy to fund that stage of development as well, haha. But for now, we have to be a bit more modest. We can take the first steps, hopefully creating the spark for others -- i.e., most likely commercial parties like VC firms or Big Pharma -- to provide even bigger investments.

I am quite sure that the remark made by the Brai3n board member also does not refer to the full cost of bringing a device to market but rather only the first stage. There is no way on earth you can successfully bring a medical device to market for only 10M.

I hope I was able to explain it a bit better this time. Because I don't think what you and I are saying is contradictory at all. And I do agree that we should be ambitious in our aims and aim for millions at the least! :)
Clear! Thanks.

Is there a reason we aren't looking into mGluR group II agonists like Eglumetad or Pomaglumetad? It has already been tested and successfully eliminates tinnitus in mice for a few hours.

I spoke to Dr. Galazyuk and they're trying to find funding for this study on humans. @Hazel, has this been looked into at all?
Hey! Yes, I recall speaking to Dr. Galazyuk at the 2023 ARO conference. Of course he's free to apply for a grant once we open up for applications.

One thing I want to note, not be a bummer or anything, is that there have by now been quite a few drugs that seemed promising in animals but failed in humans. Not to say we should stop trying of course, but I just want to manage expectations.
@Hazel, you might consider reaching out to Nicole Shanahan. According to Dr. Kruse's podcast, she recently invested a significant amount of money into research for a computer that doesn't emit blue light. She is interested in funding early-stage projects related to health and well-being that align with her values. Additionally, her daughter has autism, and autism research is a topic of personal interest to her.
Interesting. I've never heard of her, but will look her up!

I believe the real impact of Tinnitus Quest will be during Tinnitus Week in February. That window of opportunity is crucial because if it's broad enough, it could attract the attention of significant investors. Just look at what has already been accomplished with very limited exposure in terms of funds raised.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now