• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

L-Theanine for Tinnitus?

All the antidepressants gave me more anxiety. Now they really exacerbate my tinnitus, but yes I've tried many.
Have you tried Buspar? What about tricyclics, MAOIs, or even Gabapentin/Pregabalin?

I believe Gabapentin is also used to help with benzo withdrawal if you do wish to slowly taper off of Xanax.

All the antidepressants gave me more anxiety. Now they really exacerbate my tinnitus, but yes I've tried many.
EMDR for anxiety? Therapy? Beta blockers?

Melatonin for sleep? Light sleeping pills - I find low-dose Doxylamine pretty light. I don't know what others think of it.

Yes, while taking L-Theanine, the tinnitus volume went up extremely. When I stopped, it went back down.
Sorry for the bump, glad I found your post though. I have been taking L-Theanine 250 mg caps for a little over a month and noticed my tinnitus spiked really bad the last 2 weeks. I have also been taking Xanax 1 mg daily for some years now for my anxiety and to reduce stress and staying calm, which oddly has helped to reduce my tinnitus to non-noticeable levels.

Which is why I got worried where the sudden spikes came from. I'm gonna stop taking the supplement asap.

Sorry for the bump, glad I found your post though. I have been taking L-Theanine 250 mg caps for a little over a month and noticed my tinnitus spiked really bad the last 2 weeks. I have also been taking Xanax 1 mg daily for some years now for my anxiety and to reduce stress and staying calm, which oddly has helped to reduce my tinnitus to non-noticeable levels.

Which is why I got worried where the sudden spikes came from. I'm gonna stop taking the supplement asap.
I'm sorry to hear your tinnitus went up too. I take a baby dose (25 mg) of L-Theanine because unfortunately without it I literally WILL NOT sleep. So I had to choose to live with the spike. Anything that messes with my serotonin levels, apparently spikes my tinnitus, no matter the dosage.

Try 25 mg. That low of a dose is hard to find but you could always try it to see if it lowers your tinnitus. Best wishes!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now