Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

I can definitely recommend bringing/wearing earplugs. I hadn't flown since getting my tinnitus until this April, and I was honestly surprised how loud/irritating the noise on the flight was before I put my plugs in (I do have hyperacusis too, though not as bad as a lot of folks). It was just a short one-hour flight, so not a big deal in the end. But it would have been really difficult without the ear plugs.
I don't think flying is really dangerous for most people who have tinnitus/hyperacusis, because most of them are very sensitive to high frequencies, and the frequencies of the plane engines are low. Personally, I am more disturbed when the crew makes an announcement, which is sometimes very high in volume.

Anyway, I strongly advice to carry earplugs when you travel... (I always carry them).

I don't think it will be a problem as they would have to exclude people with amalgam filings and tooth implants as well, I'm not sure how many but a lot of people have filings and implants. I have them as well.
@gorzakus, fair point but wouldn't an electrical pulse find the path of least resistance? I can't imagine what will happen to the electrical signal with braces in my mouth!

I think it will take longer as expected until it's available in Germany. University of Regensburg, where they run the study, isn't aware of any launch date in Germany yet.

Hopefully if this device comes soon in France (or I'll go desperately to Ireland by swimming), I will definitely be ready to try it and keep you informed of the evolution of my tinnitus (and hyperacusis maybe? :angelic:) ... I wish everyone a lot of hope with this treatment, and future ones.

BTW, I don't know if there are any French people in this thread, but if there are, you can send me a PM :)

Okay, people keep talking about how Lenire wouldn't work for people with hearing loss... What's the range it wouldn't work on? Anyone know the dB? I read above if you have 80 dB and higher it wouldn't work?

Anyone know FOR SURE???

I sent Neuromod an email as I also have metal wire behind my teeth, I'm not really expecting a reply but I also don't want to travel hours to a doctor only for them to tell me that I can't use the device and need to get the wire removed first.
@Lucifer: can you please let me know what they reply?
@Autumnly will let us know when she gets a reply from them and she will post it on here.

@gorzakus, fair point but wouldn't an electrical pulse find the path of least resistance? I can't imagine what will happen to the electrical signal with braces in my mouth!
Logically this would only pose a problem when the tongue tip is in direct contact with the metal as in when you have a tongue piercing.

I could be wrong but if braces, retainers, bridges, fillings or implants would have been a problem I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned this as so many people have one of these.

I'm new here, this is my third stint of tinnitus! And by that I mean I have had it three times... First got it in 2009 and it took 8 months of my life away, couldn't cope with it at all, I practically spent months at home not being able to function, finally got myself together after taking Zispin (Mirtazapine) for a few months, got back to normal but still with a bit of noise bothering me.

I got into the first MuteButton trial and all I can say is that there was no more tinnitus after that.

Then in January 2012 I attended a loud event and it came back, messing me up again for about 4 months. I got back to functioning again after taking Zispin, but there was still some very bothersome noise, so I took part in the 2nd trial for MuteButton in July 2012.

All I can say is that the tinnitus went away again.

It can go away, and when people say it's permanent, that is not always true.

Unfortunately it came back with a bang in February this year (after being in a loud pub with a band).

I have got an appointment with Neuromod in June!

Fingers crossed that this will help me again as it did before.
I am happy Neuromod was able to help you!

But... you had two do overs with tinnitus and you threw them away. I hope you learned your lesson and will be more careful.

If MuteButton/Lenire can silence tinnitus how does this fit in with the theory that tinnitus is caused by hearing loss and the research that's going on into regeneration of hearing to treat tinnitus?

Can someone who knows way more about it than me give me a beginner's explanation if possible please?!

If MuteButton/Lenire can silence tinnitus how does this fit in with the theory that tinnitus is caused by hearing loss and the research that's going on into regeneration of hearing to treat tinnitus?

Can someone who knows way more about it than me give me a beginner's explanation if possible please?!
Tinnitus is generated in brain, the theory is that if the hair cells in the ear get damaged the brain loses some external input. What bimodal stimulation does is physically change the neuroplasticity of the brain in the region that's causing the tinnitus. So this either eliminates or significantly reduces the sound.

I don't think research to regenerate hearing is to treat tinnitus, it's designed to treat hearing loss. I think the hope is that with hearing loss being addressed, tinnitus recovery will naturally follow.

I'm new here, this is my third stint of tinnitus! And by that I mean I have had it three times... First got it in 2009 and it took 8 months of my life away, couldn't cope with it at all, I practically spent months at home not being able to function, finally got myself together after taking Zispin (Mirtazapine) for a few months, got back to normal but still with a bit of noise bothering me.

I got into the first MuteButton trial and all I can say is that there was no more tinnitus after that.

Then in January 2012 I attended a loud event and it came back, messing me up again for about 4 months. I got back to functioning again after taking Zispin, but there was still some very bothersome noise, so I took part in the 2nd trial for MuteButton in July 2012.

Unfortunately it came back with a bang in February this year (after being in a loud pub with a band).

Great to read that it helped you twice already.

Do you have hearing loss and did you attend the loud pub with hearing protection?

Something isn't true about this story?

I think the reason they ask about tongue piercings is not just because of the metal but because you have to clip the device to your tongue and a piercing would be in the way. If other metal in the mouth was an issue I'm sure they would have mentioned that in the questionnaire as @gorzakus already mentioned.

Last edited:
@Ken219

Yeah, something seemed a little odd about @Clearance's story to me as well. Especially how easily they kept letting her back into treatment, and how she seemingly wasn't protecting her ears anymore because she "just forgot". I don't think that ANYONE on this board or who has tinnitus bad enough like she mentioned could ever truly forget about it or how much one has to protect their ears at all times.

If one chooses to be ignorant about using their ear protection at any time (I am guilty of this often enough) that's on them, but just forgetting? It just seems fishy to me...

Each time I was in a loud place, but having been free of tinnitus, you forget about the risk of getting it again.

Clearance has only been a member on these boards since Friday and apparently has only had tinnitus since March of this year. Not sure that her story checks out... Seems like someone is just trying to get people's hopes up...

Last edited:
Also, I've been flying for work a lot in the last six months and even with my tinnitus and hyperacusis I didn't really feel the need to wear my earplugs (as they unfortunately bother my ears if in for too long) but the noise on planes definitely is super-annoying and unbearable. My ears have been a little worse lately though and I have worn them on my most recent flights about a week ago.

Also, I've been flying for work a lot in the last six months and even with my tinnitus and hyperacusis I didn't really feel the need to wear my earplugs (as they unfortunately bother my ears if in for too long) but the noise on planes definitely is super-annoying and unbearable. My ears have been a little worse lately though and I have worn them on my most recent flights about a week ago.
I always book a seat at the front of the plane. I find the noise is a lot lower there.

@Phi I would as well but either due to not being able to afford First Class or not choosing my own seat (work books the flight for me) I don't really have a choice about seating.

You say that, but outside Tinnitus Talk people who have only been to audiologists don't protect their hearing as we do. I know three people. People also think it comes from various reasons and not noise exposure.

So the story is plausible...

@Ken219

Yeah, something seemed a little odd about @Clearance's story to me as well. Especially how easily they kept letting her back into treatment, and how she seemingly wasn't protecting her ears anymore because she "just forgot". I don't think that ANYONE on this board or who has tinnitus bad enough like she mentioned could ever truly forget about it or how much one has to protect their ears at all times.

If one chooses to be ignorant about using their ear protection at any time (I am guilty of this often enough) that's on them, but just forgetting? It just seems fishy to me...

Clearance has only been a member on these boards since Friday and apparently has only had tinnitus since March of this year. Not sure that her story checks out... Seems like someone is just trying to get people's hopes up...
Hi,

My story is the truth. Don't believe it if you want, why would I be so cruel as to bother coming on here and making that story up? What do I have to gain from it?

And talking about being ignorant after the episodes, well we as humans tend to block out the bad times we have had.

And as my tinnitus had gone away I felt I could go out and not avoid life, as that's no way to live, and we all make mistakes too!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now