• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Hello,

My name is Simon and I have volunteered to help with capturing and reporting on the results of the Lenire User Experience Survey. I will be working with Hazel and Markku during this project.

Just to let you know, at the moment we now have 90 users who have registered with the group. Of these we have:
  • 48 members who have agreed to the Terms and Conditions relating to providing information and who have also provided contact information, and of these:
  • 34 have applied to Neuromod for their appointment, and of these:
  • 4 have confirmed appointments.
We are presently in the process of agreeing the survey questions that we will be sending to the group members and expect to have this completed shortly. We will be seeking feedback on the survey from Tinnitus researchers and will be also hoping to get information from some of the Lenire customers who have early appointments to help with this.

Once the results start coming in, we will share this with the forum, including aggregated statistics, scatter plots etc. All data will be used in anonymised form.

If you have signed up already, the help you are providing with sharing your experience is really appreciated, and the results of the user experience survey should really help people to determine the effectiveness of the device.

If you are intending to purchase the device and haven't yet signed-up, it would be great if you could help us out.

Remember you can join up by clicking the banner at the top of this thread!

Simon
Big thanks for taking this on! You're doing a wonderful thing, as I expect this will take up a significant part of your week.

There are, but not all of them have signed up to the Lenire User Experience Group. And those who have signed up, some of them might also have filled form before having been given a date for an appointment by Neuromod, so the questionnaire data is not up-to-date in that perspective.

We will update the information later on by contacting people who signed up - we and the whole tinnitus community should be very grateful to have @PeterPan take the responsibility for project managing this! It's nothing short of a major project overall but hopefully very useful for our readers!
Just to second Markku here in thanking @PeterPan (aka Simon) for taking on this major responsibility!!!

Well, you should.
When there is justification for a cure or a treatment I am interested.
In the last 200,000 years man seems to have substantiated nothing whatsoever.
I know I am old - (76) - but I can probably give it a few more days.........x
(just checking my pulse as we speak).
(124/68)

PS - don't forget John - you've got
'The Lord' in your corner.......x

What happened to that one young lady on here who participated in the trials in 2017 and experienced full remission with this? I know she finally decided to leave but getting some more details would be nice considering we may not have more direct information for months.

getting some more details would be nice considering we may not have more direct information for months.
This thread is pretty well-known now and I'm seeing some new faces posting in it. I expect to see some first-hand reports very very soon considering that the biggest benefits show up after the first six weeks of use. If they don't show up here then they will pop up on Neuromod's Facebook page and get shared over here.

Wasn't there talk of doing a tinnitus loudness test i.e. hit you with noise until it masks your tinnitus?

Is it advisable to do this?

Wasn't there talk of doing a tinnitus loudness test i.e. hit you with noise until it masks your tinnitus?

Despite our fears and sensitivity to noise, the limits of noise exposure and subsequent hearing damage are well understood. The volume of the device would not be calibrated to damage hearing when listened to for the prescribed time period (30-60 minutes).

Are you sure? I thought that the first appointments would not be for a few months
As far as I know, they have already started doing assessments. When you see appointments scheduled months in advance you're talking about those not lucky enough to be first in line. I mean, if they are only one office how many assessments can they do each day? Maybe 4-6 tops if it's one at a time and it's over an hour for each assessment. So the odds of anyone here being among the very first through the door are low.

Despite our fears and sensitivity to noise, the limits of noise exposure and subsequent hearing damage are well understood. The volume of the device would not be calibrated to damage hearing when listened to for the prescribed time period (30-60 minutes).
So using it for eight hours a day may make the situation worse?

That seems like the description of "minimum masking level" (MML). There is another process used to measure tinnitus loudness that involves comparisons to calibrated values. They are different things.

@JJ2time
Could you ask about the average tinnitus loudness reduction (in decibels) and how many weeks will it be until the first signs of improvement are seen? If someone had H, but no longer has it, will he also have an increased benefit from treatment? [Maybe a stupid question but I'm desperate and I'm looking for hope]

Last edited:
There is some indication of the number who worsened in the Neuromod presentation @annV has as I recall.
It was less than 10% and we don't know why it worsened. Was it the treatment? Or did they expose themselves to ototoxic medication or loud noises during the treatment?

Also, in the interview Ross O'Neill did mention that the majority of people whose tinnitus worsened went back to normal when stopping the treatment.

We have no hard numbers on this, just what was said by Ross O'Neill and what was shown in the slides.

I really hope this works out and brings relief to a lot of people, but I can't help but be jaded and pessimistic when it comes to tinnitus treatments.

Back when I first got tinnitus I was accepted into the AM-101 trials. A few years ago AM-101 was the latest and greatest thing that showed promise in quelling tinnitus in its early stages. I was desperate for relief and put a lot of hope in it working. They treated me well and I went through 3 rounds of 3 injections into each ear totaling in 18 injections. I only had minimal (if any) improvements and the trial failed. I don't regret doing it, and the hope kept me going during the hardest times, but it taught me to manage my expectations with this condition. Hope is a funny thing, it keeps us going, but it often leads to disappointment.

That seems like the description of "minimum masking level" (MML). There is another process used to measure tinnitus loudness that involves comparisons to calibrated values. They are different things.
The other process would be matching where they determine your sensory level then have you match the loudness of the tone to your tinnitus and the result is decibels over sensory level dBSL.

I have a date for 2nd of August. I'm just emailing them about my ear wax issue and the fact I've not had a hearing test done because of it. I can get a same day return flight for 108 pounds so it's tempting to give this thing a shot.

For anyone wondering its 18 miles from the airport to the hospital. How does everyone plan to get from A to B?

I went through 3 rounds of 3 injections into each ear totaling in 18 injections.
Ah, so you too know well the sound of a need piercing your eardrum. Could you taste the stuff when it flushed down your eustachian tubes? Did it make you dizzy for a moment?

Ah, so you too know well the sound of a need piercing your eardrum. Could you taste the stuff when it flushed down your eustachian tubes? Did it make you dizzy for a moment?
Nope couldn't taste it. I found out after the trials that I got the real drug in the first round. The trial coordinator warmed it up to body temperature so no dizziness. It seemed to lessen my fleeting tinnitus occurrences, but that's about it.

O' and after the first round I boarded a plane just a couple hours later (i.e. still had holes in my eardrums). When we ascended my ears pretty much emptied out into my sinuses. No pain, though.

The only problem I had was the single time one of the doctors suctioned my eardrum after putting too much phenol on it, I will never allow that to happen again.

Got an email from Neuromod offering December 20, but that's too close to Christmas for me so I asked for it to be moved to after the holidays. They said they haven't gotten around to scheduling 2020 appointments yet but will contact me when they do.

Statistically speaking, by then I'll have habituated enough to not think it's worth it. But who knows!
Can you please give me their email address? I want to email them. Thank you.

Nope couldn't taste it. I found out after the trials that I got the real drug in the first round. The trial coordinator warmed it up to body temperature so no dizziness. It seemed to lessen my fleeting tinnitus occurrences, but that's about it.

O' and after the first round I boarded a plane just a couple hours later (i.e. still had holes in my eardrums). When we ascended my ears pretty much emptied out into my sinuses. No pain, though.

The only problem I had was the single time one of the doctors suctioned my eardrum after putting too much phenol on it, I will never allow that to happen again.
Yes, suction devices in the ears are definitely bad.
Does anyone know why someone wouldn't be accepted to use Lenire???
No ears or tongue? No tinnitus?

Ooooo what if you used this and you never even had tinnitus?

Perhaps I have an unusual mindset re: tinnitus.
From the moment I awoke in June 2014 my Tinnitus has never budged one tiny scrap.
'Loud - permanent - eternal.'

Do I really have faith that anything will turn this thing off, or turn it around?
No - not really.

I am making every attempt to live for now.

Don't get me wrong though Nanny - I wish everyone well, will be really interested in their progress, and would love to be proved wrong.

If the unsolicited reviews turn out well of course then my feelings might change.
Hi Jazzer,

I don't know you, nor have ever interacted with you. But I can tell you this:

I am begging you to consider this treatment. I saw your video and I just don't know how you manage. Whenever I have a spike and think I can't go on, I think about your line about how your shaver is the only match for your tinnitus and I quickly get my act together and get through it.

Worsened? Are you kidding? They didn't say that in the Q&A did they?

"Have patients gotten worse? There were a small number of patients who have gotten worse, erm not dramatically, their tinnitus might have gotten, you know, elevated. These patients, they were asked whether they wanted to discontinue the treatment or continue, a lot of them continued. Eh, most of those cases then resolved, so we haven't had any serious adverse events in the study, and eh so we haven't had any very... just very, kind of, yeah well this term "serious adverse events", you know so there aren't any patients we're very very concerned about. And the majority of patients did actually, in patients that, some patients experience some change at the start which is probably to be expected at the start if you are doing something, if you are disrupting this kind of neural processes there is going to be change".

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now