• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Neuromodulation is the future. Bank on it. Tinnitus, for most people, is predicated on the straw that broke the camel's back. You could have a few issues and it's not enough to set it off but then that one thing happens and blammo! There's a direct correlation between loss of neuroplasticity and developing tinnitus - and all those other neurological horrors like dementia, et al. Creating new neuroplasticity like this is the major part of resolving tinnitus - and preventing all manner of other bad stuff from happening.

Yeah it's pricey as hell but totes worth it. If need be I'll just move to Ireland for the 3 months to do the regimen. I'm heading over to Europe in the fall so I'll definitely get the assessment done to see if my candidacy is viable - fingers crossed. If it is, then I'll look at relocating to Dublin for that time.

Neuromodulation is the future. Bank on it. Tinnitus, for most people, is predicated on the straw that broke the camel's back. You could have a few issues and it's not enough to set it off but then that one thing happens and blammo! There's a direct correlation between loss of neuroplasticity and developing tinnitus - and all those other neurological horrors like dementia, et al. Creating new neuroplasticity like this is the major part of resolving tinnitus - and preventing all manner of other bad stuff from happening.

Yeah it's pricey as hell but totes worth it. If need be I'll just move to Ireland for the 3 months to do the regimen. I'm heading over to Europe in the fall so I'll definitely get the assessment done to see if my candidacy is viable - fingers crossed. If it is, then I'll look at relocating to Dublin for that time.
That's exactly what I am seriously considering to do. Move there during the treatment period. Dublin is not the best city in Ireland but it is not that bad. It is easier to find accommodation there than in cities like Cork where gentrification is taking the city by storm and raising the prices crazily. Not difficult to find a job for those three months as Dublin is not exactly a cheap place. Centra, any off licence or even jobs in a way less noisy contexts could be easy to find regardless of age and gender. Even if the device starts to be handled by a nearer clinic from me I think I'd still priorizing the original laboratories. The problem are the appointments but I think as soon as they have managed to sort that out their agenda will be unclogged.

@valeri do you have only low hum or hiss too?
Put it this way, my major problem is low frequency drone/hum and it has been for the last 8 years. It's very loud and it fills my whole head with engine noise and vibration.

Hissing is more of a comes and goes thing and it always comes with burning pain in my ears, I guess hyperacusis. Why this happens I have no idea. It can last for months at the time.

I also have a high pitch tone that appeared few months ago but, for now, I only hear it at night.

Low frequency tinnitus is very disturbing and not very common, it would be good to know if anyone trying Lenire has it and how it works for them.

@valeri I will ask when I go... My tinnitus has also become more complex, started with a hiss but is now quite different.

Do you have hearing loss?

I don't understand why sounds can be so different yet we're all supposed to have the same condition. Why can tones vary so much, is it different parts of the brain? I know the perceptual manifestations shouldn't matter but from experience they can seem like different phenomena.

Just had a very productive call with @PeterPan and @Hazel - the Lenire User Experience Group is coming along nicely.

lenire-user-experience-group-conference-call.png

Lots of work has already gone and will go into creating the questionnaires (including liaising with researchers and potentially getting ethics approval from a University) and overall organizing this project, contacting the participants, etc.

In the coming week the questionnaires will be finalized.

Both I and Hazel have been extremely impressed with PeterPan - the level of detail and attention he's shown is unprecedented. The number of hours he's already devoted to the cause is incredible. Everyone, please give him a thumbs up!

Thanks everyone for your support!

Hello all,

I'm new here. First post. I got an appointment for September 3rd. I reside in Central America.

I may need to reschedule though, so if someone with an appointment in October would like to switch, please let me know.

Good luck.
Hi there!

This is also my first post here but I've been reading the forum. I'm booked for November 26th and I'd like to swap with someone for September or October.

@Shoutout you wrote that you want to change in October, but if you want 26 Nov, I am ready.

(I want to apologize for my bad English).

@valeri I will ask when I go... My tinnitus has also become more complex, started with a hiss but is now quite different.

Do you have hearing loss?

I don't understand why sounds can be so different yet we're all supposed to have the same condition. Why can tones vary so much, is it different parts of the brain? I know the perceptual manifestations shouldn't matter but from experience they can seem like different phenomena.
Mild hearing loss in left ear, drone/hum in right... go figure!

I would appreciate if you could ask about this type of tinnitus and if they had anyone respond to treatment.

Wishing you all the best, hoping for some good news!

Meanwhile Neuromod's treatment has more to do with auditory cortex persistent residuation through neurostimulation than brain plasticity itself. (It triggers the auditory cortex to focus/tune in to other frequencies that the ones that match your tinnitus, making its overall perception lower), you can (temporarily) achieve the same effect by using bi-modal acoustic neurostimulation, which may lower your tinnitus perception from seconds to minutes, obviously Neuromod's technique is more complex as it combines acoustic neurostimulation with trigeminal nerve stimulation, allowing for potential long term effects.
One patient said his tinnitus was reduced by 17 dB - would you say that's just his perception but the tinnitus is actually still the same (as it was before the treatment)? Hoping my question makes sense!

One patient said his tinnitus was reduced by 17 dB - would you say that's just his perception but the tinnitus is actually still the same (as it was before the treatment)? Hoping my question makes sense!
It's hard to tell as even though habituation and lessened perception are a thing, so is remyelination, which means so long as neuropathy isn't too pronounced, it is (up to a point), reversible (it can take years, and would only occur should you not further abuse your ears), this means that naturally restoring some amount of hearing (including from hidden hearing loss), is within the realm of possibilities.

You should however keep in mind that extended neuropathy (which results in cell death) or damage to the auditory nerve's inner structure (the latter being quite unlikely as most damage from neuropathy would be peripheral damage to the endings attached to the cochlear), would be (at this point, with existing currently available treatments) irreversible.

Unfortunately knowing the extent of neuropathy in an individual is not possible without invasive surgical procedures which may (likely) leave the patient in a worsened condition. This is why current research focused biopsies are either performed on animal models (typically rodents and primates) or (in much rarer occurrences) cochlear implant candidates.

@Mathieulh Most people here are laymen, are you from a science background/doctor yourself?

If not, can you perhaps link your points to a reference?

It just helps the community especially amongst regular members to know who we are conversing with.

If not, can you perhaps link your points to a reference?
I think a quick read of the Wikipedia pages on myelin sheaths, nerve death & regeneration, and current thinking on hearing loss will pretty solidly back him up.

I get what you're saying, but in this case the point he's making seems pretty basic to me, I don't know if it really needs citations?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK27954/

I don't think there's much out there on remyelination in humans for the reasons he mentioned; you get mostly animal studies like https://www.pnas.org/content/106/16/6832

I would just like to make a point regarding if tinnitus is due to neuropathic damage - I cite a quote from what Ross O'Neill (CEO of Neuromod said) about the study that was done where tinnitus was induced by putting somebody in complete silence for a long period of time. How would this not be related to plasticity being a cause of tinnitus?

Waiting to hear from Tinnitus Talk members about their experience with Lenire is a form of torture in itself.

I haven't been keeping updated about this, so... When will people here actually get to bring the device home?

I've thought about this. Haven't heard from @Allan1967 since his initial appointment. Makes me wonder what they did to him.
Yeah, everyone is so vocal leading up to the appointment and then once they go through with it, they disappear.

I hope he is doing well.

Perhaps the Hearing Aid tycoons got him before he could praise Lenire. ;)

I've thought about this. Haven't heard from @Allan1967 since his initial appointment. Makes me wonder what they did to him.
Yes I hope it went OK for him. A bit concerned that Neuromod may be asking anyone going ahead with Lenire not to post about their experiences on Tinnitus Talk. If they did that (and I should stress I haven't yet seen firm evidence that this is the case) it would certainly increase my doubts about Lenire. Anyway it's good news that so much good work has been done by the Tinnitus Talk team on developing the Lenire User Experience Group.

A bit concerned that Neuromod may be asking anyone going ahead with Lenire not to post about their experiences on Tinnitus Talk. If they did that (and I should stress I haven't yet seen firm evidence that this is the case) it would certainly increase my doubts about Lenire.
Gee, what would be the reason for such a request?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now