Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

Yep. I wish you luck buddy. Do keep me updated.
Thanks danny. Bad days don't go away, for a moment it felt like they would. Some frequencies may be heard better, but T is not going away, it is perhaps a bit lower at times than it used to be but this provides no conclusion. If I can't be sure of its effect I will not post any progress since it is safe to assume there is none. Perhaps it is early, perhaps it doesn't really do anything. We will see.

Thanks danny. Bad days don't go away, for a moment it felt like they would. Some frequencies may be heard better, but T is not going away, it is perhaps a bit lower at times than it used to be but this provides no conclusion. If I can't be sure of its effect I will not post any progress since it is safe to assume there is none. Perhaps it is early, perhaps it doesn't really do anything. We will see.

You do need to be on 2000mg for two months, so don't give up just yet. Also you're taking this for tinnitus? Aren't you taking this for hyperacusis?

You do need to be on 2000mg for two months, so don't give up just yet. Also you're taking this for tinnitus? Aren't you taking this for hyperacusis?
I take it for whatever it may do good. I don't take Trobalt, I would if it had therapeutic qualities but it seems to give only temporary relief, so I hesitate to get into all the trouble and sideffects. I just hope that Keppra may work for both, although I doubt it will, judging from my condition at the fourth week of Keppra. Actually I find it hard to believe there is anything that works, let alone give permanent results. Either for T or H.

I take it for whatever it may do good. I don't take Trobalt, I would if it had therapeutic qualities but it seems to give only temporary relief, so I hesitate to get into all the trouble and sideffects. I just hope that Keppra may work for both, although I doubt it will, judging from my condition at the fourth week of Keppra. Actually I find it hard to believe there is anything that works, let alone give permanent results. Either for T or H.

What are you using it for? Hyperacusis or tinnitus? Because I never said it would work for tinnitus, nobody has.

What are you using it for? Hyperacusis or tinnitus? Because I never said it would work for tinnitus, nobody has.
I now. I didn't say you said so. In the beginning it seemed to have results in both H and T. Hyperacusis seemed better immediately after the first pills, T got a bit lower too after I went to 1000 mg. Unfortunately, this didn't last when I up the dosage to 2000... It is early, will keep at it and post here my progress when I close 1 month. I also try to establish if there is any permanent result, this is what interests me the most.
Interestingly, I have to point out the concurrent use of vitamin E just before I started Keppra. That may help too. Or that alone... the changes are small but seem to last and T is the most difficult part in getting better. But good days seem better indeed. Just wait to watch them keep more. I will keep you updated.

I now. I didn't say you said so. In the beginning it seemed to have results in both H and T. Hyperacusis seemed better immediately after the first pills, T got a bit lower too after I went to 1000 mg. Unfortunately, this didn't last when I up the dosage to 2000... It is early, will keep at it and post here my progress when I close 1 month. I also try to establish if there is any permanent result, this is what interests me the most.
Interestingly, I have to point out the concurrent use of vitamin E just before I started Keppra. That may help too. Or that alone... the changes are small but seem to last and T is the most difficult part in getting better. But good days seem better indeed. Just wait to watch them keep more. I will keep you updated.

Can you be more specific in your posts, i'm totally lost. Did imroving for hyperacusis still lasting? Or it came back?

Can you be more specific in your posts, i'm totally lost. Did imroving for hyperacusis still lasting? Or it came back?
I still cannot reach a certain conclusion. My T is fluctuating and gives bad and good days. It did so before too. Up to now I would have to say generally no, but I will continue with Keppra and post in a few days my monthly report.

I still cannot reach a certain conclusion. My T is fluctuating and gives bad and good days. It did so before too. Up to now I would have to say generally no, but I will continue with Keppra and post in a few days my monthly report.

This drug isn't for tinnitus per say, we only know it could have the potential to rid us of hyperacusis. If you're using it for tinnitus, do a trobalt+keppra combo.

This drug isn't for tinnitus per say, we only know it could have the potential to rid us of hyperacusis. If you're using it for tinnitus, do a trobalt+keppra combo.
T and H are 2 things not that different, they are interconnected. I do not understand how you can so positively say they are 2 totally separated conditions! When I get better at one, the other gets better too. In my bad days, they are both elevated together.

That all been said, I think there may be an improvement in BOTH T and H, especially in T loudness, which provides for better sound tolerance and less distortion. An improved hearing and less ear fullness is ALSO what comes form less tinnitus. They are all the same condition. This is my experience and I am quite positive about it.

Perhaps apart from getting rid of your H you also got lower T. It is difficult to know that your T is lower in volume if it doesn't change in pitch and behavior. But what I can certainly say is this: the more your T goes up, the more troubles it causes. There may be other ways to test your hearing, like listening to certain sounds or music and watch if distortion gets better. That is what I do.

I am hesitant to post any progress about Keppra just yet, since my condition is not stable: There seems to be generally better sound tolerance and clearer hearing, better masking from external sound than before, but I am not certain Keppra is responsible for this. And I also want to know if there is therapeutic quality to this drug or only a temporary effect. So, you will have to be a little more patient.

What I can say for this drug right now, is that it is relatively safe to use, meaning it is an old and tested drug and I do not seem to have any bothering sideffects by using it, compared to other similar ones. I haven't tried Trobalt, I don't know if it is worth it, since I aim to a cure, not temporary relief, let alone a possible temporary "placebo" relief. But I just can't say more for Trobalt since I did not try it, and I am hesitant to do so. Combining anticonvulsants is also something my doctor would hardly approve.

T and H are 2 things not that different, they are interconnected. I do not understand how you can so positively say they are 2 totally separated conditions! When I get better at one, the other gets better too. In my bad days, they are both elevated together.

That all been said, I think there may be an improvement in BOTH T and H, especially in T loudness, which provides for better sound tolerance and less distortion. An improved hearing and less ear fullness is ALSO what comes form less tinnitus. They are all the same condition. This is my experience and I am quite positive about it.

Perhaps apart from getting rid of your H you also got lower T. It is difficult to know that your T is lower in volume if it doesn't change in pitch and behavior. But what I can certainly say is this: the more your T goes up, the more troubles it causes. There may be other ways to test your hearing, like listening to certain sounds or music and watch if distortion gets better. That is what I do.

I am hesitant to post any progress about Keppra just yet, since my condition is not stable: There seems to be generally better sound tolerance and clearer hearing, better masking from external sound than before, but I am not certain Keppra is responsible for this. And I also want to know if there is therapeutic quality to this drug or only a temporary effect. So, you will have to be a little more patient.

What I can say for this drug right now, is that it is relatively safe to use, meaning it is an old and tested drug and I do not seem to have any bothering sideffects by using it, compared to other similar ones. I haven't tried Trobalt, I don't know if it is worth it, since I aim to a cure, not temporary relief, let alone a possible temporary "placebo" relief. But I just can't say more for Trobalt since I did not try it, and I am hesitant to do so. Combining anticonvulsants is also something my doctor would hardly approve.

O

I believe the static noise could be linked to hyperacusis but I just don't mention it working for tinnitus as I get into trouble for saying it works for hyperacusis. Anyway, I do believe it is working for you and glad it is. Anyway, let me know when something changes as I'm hoping it can get rid of the static noise+hyperacusis.

O

I believe the static noise could be linked to hyperacusis but I just don't mention it working for tinnitus as I get into trouble for saying it works for hyperacusis.
Ι am not so sure I understand you. For me, distorted sound, hyperacusis and T all comes with worsening of my hearing especially in the right ear. However, apart from static noise as you describe it, I do get a lot of clicks and pops while walking synchronous to my every step. Also, there is the sound of running liquid I get, like listening to an artery or something pumping blood. Not synchronous to heart beat though... Do you get that?

Ι am not so sure I understand you. For me, distorted sound, hyperacusis and T all comes with worsening of my hearing especially in the right ear. However, apart from static noise as you describe it, I do get a lot of clicks and pops while walking synchronous to my every step. Also, there is the sound of running liquid I get, like listening to an artery or something pumping blood. Not synchronous to heart beat though... Do you get that?

Sounds like pulsatile tinnitus.

Sounds like pulsatile tinnitus.
Yea, I do have a permanent high tone spike, very fluctuating and unstable, and the fact that it is not heart beat synchronous made many doctors discard pulsating T immediately... I also have an MRI showing sings of micorvascular compression. Tegretol and Neurontin didn't help. Perhaps only mvd surgery would help, but I cannot find any doctors in my country to even know what I am talking about.

Yea, I do have a permanent high tone spike, very fluctuating and unstable, and the fact that it is not heart beat synchronous made many doctors discard pulsating T immediately... I also have an MRI showing sings of micorvascular compression. Tegretol and Neurontin didn't help. Perhaps only mvd surgery would help, but I cannot find any doctors in my country to even know what I am talking about.

I'm afraid I don't know much about pulsatile tinnitus...And I hope keppra works, but don't have a clue, as pulsatile tinnitus is a different beast.

Nope. I don't. So I'd get that checked out, doesn't sound like normal tinnitus.
Oh, I have. At least in my country. I paid a lot of doctors, no conclusion. Imagine that: Even the one doc that suggested mvc and MRI AC that showed the finding, said that hearing those sounds while walking is natural for everybody that has Tinnitus! Gave me Neurontin and left it to that! No other effort to help me. Just told me that even if the finding is responsible for my T (nobody can say for sure) no doctor in my country would operate it.

As you see, they can easily drive you crazy (not to mention penny-less) with their totally superficial approach to the problem.

Oh, I have. At least in my country. I paid a lot of doctors, no conclusion. Imagine that: Even the one doc that suggested mvc and MRI AC that showed the finding, said that hearing those sounds while walking is natural for everybody that has Tinnitus!
As you see,they can easily drive you crazy with their totally superficial approach to the problem.

I'm sorry that you're going down a road that leads to nowhere...It's how so many people feel like on here...Also I get a lot of telling off for mentioning trobalt and keppra, so I'm being told to stop. So yeah, we're all tired.

By people. Trust me, I do get tired of speaking about keppra and trobalt, but it seems it's all we have at the moment.
Don't give it any attention. If it helps you it may help others too. I would also feel obligated to post any positive findings for those who also suffer. And I will if I get lucky and have any kind of relief.

Don't give it any attention. If it helps you it may help others too. I would also feel obligated to post any positive findings for those who also suffer. And I will if I get lucky and have any kind of relief.

Well, I am just hoping it does work...And I'm hoping I can help loads of people, as I know what it's like to suffer...I'm glad I'm getting better and I want others to get better.

What do you mean sounds while walking?? As when you walk your t changes pitches or volume?? And u say u get permanent spikes frequently because i do to and its hell that my t keeps increasing all the time
Yes, brief loud spikes (zip, zip) in every step I take.

Yes, a LOT! It reacts also to washing machines, generally in loud continuous sounds or even TV and music.

Got you now! Reactive tinnitus, now I know that's horrible! I used to have it! Now I have to say, when I took trobalt the amplification of noises went, but the reactiveness was still there after keppra it went away. Now I can't recommend drugs, but I can tell you what has worked for me. But yeah, reactive tinnitus is one of the worst things I've came across.

Hello everyone,
I'm french, I'm really interested in this post.

@Danny Boy I saw your post with @Viking
How many people have tried keppra?

You still ongoing treatment? How's your day and your T H?

thank you a lot

My tinnitus is very low, like 1/10 compared to 10/10 and my hyperacusis has gone so has my reactive tinnitus. Viking is also cured of hyperacusis and many patients of Vikings doctor have been treated with keppra successfully. Hope that helps.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now