Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

@Danny Boy
What is the dosage of Keppra you're taking? Did you start on a low dosage then increase to max? And finally, do you continue to take it, or do you taper off for a while?

The dosage I'm taking for keppra is 3000mg. I started on 1000mg a day and increased it weekly to 3000mg.

Weekly update: Unfortunately, not only I had no progress since last week (stayed at 2000 mg) but it seems I had a setback in T loudness. It hits the roof last 3 days and cannot calm down. Hyperacusis is also there, as I has already pointed out, in my experience T and H go together.
So, I am sorry to report no improvement last week. Only a setback. I did have a lot of noise at work 3 days ago and dared not use ear protection.
Let's hope it is temporary. Will keep at Keppra 2000mg and report in a few days. Feels like it only acts when uping the dose. When your organism get use to it it doesn't seem to have any effect. We wll see... I keep testing, lets hope I did have a temp setback.

Weekly update: Unfortunately, not only I had no progress since last week (stayed at 2000 mg) but it seems I had a setback in T loudness. It hits the roof last 3 days and cannot calm down. Hyperacusis is also there, as I has already pointed out, in my experience T and H go together.
So, I am sorry to report no improvement last week. Only a setback. I did have a lot of noise at work 3 days ago and dared not use ear protection.
Let's hope it is temporary. Will keep at Keppra 2000mg and report in a few days. Feels like it only acts when uping the dose. When your organism get use to it it doesn't seem to have any effect. We wll see... I keep testing, lets hope I did have a temp setback.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope this setback is short lived.

Yes thanks for sharing and keep us updated. Maybe things will change and hopefully it will be positive for you. I know there has been use with other epilepsy meds to treat T for years and sometimes they work for some people but for most- little to no success. That continues to be part of why finding a treatment for T is so challenging, there are so many different factors to account for and as it has been recently discovered, T doesn't always just reside in one area of the brain because it is tied to a complex neural network. Just as certain types allergy meds work for and not others, I think the same might have to happen for the treatment of T. We may need several different options just as there are for allergy meds but treating T I think is much more challenging.

Recent article on how Tinnitus develops: http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...-new-insights-into-how-tinnitus-develops.aspx

Thank you all for your support. I try to be precise in describing any development. I keep testing distortion and hyperacusis with certain songs I know too well, in order to provide certain conclusions. So far, there seems to be some improvement but it is so slow I cannot say for sure if Keppra is the one responsible for this. Unfortunatelly, bad days are still pretty bad. Generally, I cannot say for certain if Keppra is a suitable drug for Tinnitus until now. And it certainly isn't a miracle drug.

I will let you know the minute I have further progress, if any.

Thank you all for your support. I try to be precise in describing any development. I keep testing distortion and hyperacusis with certain songs I know too well, in order to provide certain conclusions. So far, there seems to be some improvement but it is so slow I cannot say for sure if Keppra is the one responsible for this. Unfortunatelly, bad days are still pretty bad. Generally, I cannot say for certain if Keppra is a suitable drug for Tinnitus until now. And it certainly isn't a miracle drug.

I will let you know the minute I have further progress, if any.

It's more for hyperacusis. Has that improved at all?

It's more for hyperacusis. Has that improved at all?
Whatever improvement I have had, even if temporary, had also to do with T. Hyperacusis is not good the last days. For me, H and T are interconnected. When I had better T, I was better in H too. Last days they both hit the roof...

Yesterday I uped the dose to 2500mg. Will keep you updated.

Whatever improvement I have had, even if temporary, had also to do with T. Hyperacusis is not good the last days. For me, H and T are interconnected. When I had better T, I was better in H too. Last days they both hit the roof...

Yesterday I uped the dose to 2500mg. Will keep you updated.

Ok, I hope it helps you mate! It might be worthing looking into a trobalt+hyperacusis combo...As trobalt helped me with the amplification side and keppra with the reactive side. Consider that.

Ok, I hope it helps you mate! It might be worthing looking into a trobalt+hyperacusis combo...As trobalt helped me with the amplification side and keppra with the reactive side. Consider that.
I discussed Trobalt with my neurologist. He does not seem to care for it. He just said it is unavailable in my country....

Well I saw my Neuro today. .asked for Keppra..Answer was no..He wants me on another drug cocktail for now as studies have shown great improvement for cases like mine. I asked him if this doesn't work can I try Keppra. .he said yes.

I have to now wait until September :(

Well I saw my Neuro today. .asked for Keppra..Answer was no..He wants me on another drug cocktail for now as studies have shown great improvement for cases like mine. I asked him if this doesn't work can I try Keppra. .he said yes.

What studies??? and what is the cocktail?

I discussed Trobalt with my neurologist. He does not seem to care for it. He just said it is unavailable in my country....
Keppra is available in Spain without a prescription.

Well, that is sad and more dangerous than keppra. Why do doctors think they know everything, when they clearly don't?

What studies??? and what is the cocktail?

Studies of Migraineurs..Nortrip and Dopamax! :eek:

So I would be on clonazepam (tapering) Flexeril when needed...topamax/dopamax and nortrip...I doubt I will be able to speak on that cocktail..:censored:

He commented that topamax was an anti convulsant like Keppra (but kep is geared towards seizures) so will see how this goes..I am starting with nortrip..I'm really scared of topamax.

Studies of Migraineurs..Nortrip and Dopamax! :eek:

So I would be on clonazepam (tapering) Flexeril when needed...topamax/dopamax and nortrip...I doubt I will be able to speak on that cocktail..:censored:

He commented that topamax was an anti convulsant like Keppra (but kep is geared towards seizures) so will see how this goes..I am starting with nortrip..I'm really scared of topamax.
Keppra is safe compared to that concoction....should've gave you keppra first and if that failed back to the cocktail.

Keppra is safe compared to that concoction....should've gave you keppra first and if that failed back to the cocktail.
I have a feeling Canadian doctors try to push whatever drugs big pharma are trying to sell at a given point in time. I know for a fact that they dont necessarily prescribe you the best fitted meds to your need, it happe ed to me before. I was battling panic attacks x2 daily for 2 years until my Russian ex gf doctor, gave me some Propranolol and within 6 months I was in remission. My own GP kept trying to push me new gen beta blockers and BP meds which didnt do squat, when all I needed was a 1960's drug. Yes you read it correct, Prop was invented in 1960.

I have tinnitus and hyperacus. First i had mild H and then when the H got stronger tinnitus appeared. I think that maybe i listen that tinnitus high frequency because of the H. Im in the first month ..if i will not have any progress until the end of the month ill try keppra at all

I have tinnitus and hyperacus. First i had mild H and then when the H got stronger tinnitus appeared. I think that maybe i listen that tinnitus high frequency because of the H. Im in the first month ..if i will not have any progress until the end of the month ill try keppra at all

Hopefully everything goes well for you. I believe keppra is a safe drug, some one person reported ear aches, even though he gets that anyway? But headches are the only side-effect me and other people have reported.

Progress update:

- Tinnitus volume, unchanged though much better covered in every day activities. Although tinnitus is still there, it feels like it is in constant flux. This is not necessarily bad, since I remember the time when it was a constant high pitch... There are times it gets better now, and up again.

- Hyperacusis, a bit better. Still didn't manage to get rid of bad days though. I hope for the better.

- Sound distortion: Interestingly, songs I keep track of keep getting better. Certain points that was distorted before seem fine now. Others of course have a long way ahead of them. Higher frequency distortions seem the hardest to overcome. Lower freq distortions keep getting totally healed!

- Reactive T: Uncertain. I avoid loud sound activities, though I seem to have more tolerance. Watching TV is easier for sure, I even use my headphones without being bothered by my reactive T hitting the roof. It just doesn't get that loud any more. But frequencies are still screwed up...

Medication:
Apart from Keppra (2000 daily) I also take vitamin E, and lately started Vastarel (Trimetazidine), 2x35mg daily. It helps with blood micro-circulation. It is similar to stugeron (kinarizin), but that last one gave me some sideffects so I dropped it.

Oh, and I started swimming, summer season is on and Greece has perfect beaches! Will post if that helps too! ;)

DannyBoy

I saw my ENT yesterday to get some impacted wax removed, and I asked him again if he would put me on Keppra ? And I got the same answer as last time "NO, I won't risk my medical liciense, you can try and see if a nuerologist will give it to you" So I'm looking into that.

But I do have question's ? How bad was your hyperacuisis ? can you tell me about your sympthoms before and after you took Keppra ? I'm just trying to be sure it worth all of the effort to persue this quest. I still think you always had mild hyeracusis. But I could be wrong. My hyperacusis is very bad, everything is very loud, I can't even drive or ride in a car, ( even with ear plugs and gun muffs over them ) did you have that problem ? I bet it never effected you that way ? For me If I try and do just about anything with out the ear plugs and gun muffs, it will spike my tinnitus something ferice. I don'y understand it ? but it happens. Even now a day after the ENT appointment, My ears are still ringing louder then before I wen. And that was only a 30 minute ride in a car ( wearing the ear plugs and gun muffs ) that's like 60 DB of attenuaton. I should have been protected and fine. But NO. I'm just wondering if Keppra would really help me with this degree of hyperacusis ?

Let me know what you think, I would appricate any info

Thank You

Louie

Progress update:

- Tinnitus volume, unchanged though much better covered in every day activities. Although tinnitus is still there, it feels like it is in constant flux. This is not necessarily bad, since I remember the time when it was a constant high pitch... There are times it gets better now, and up again.

- Hyperacusis, a bit better. Still didn't manage to get rid of bad days though. I hope for the better.

- Sound distortion: Interestingly, songs I keep track of keep getting better. Certain points that was distorted before seem fine now. Others of course have a long way ahead of them. Higher frequency distortions seem the hardest to overcome. Lower freq distortions keep getting totally healed!

- Reactive T: Uncertain. I avoid loud sound activities, though I seem to have more tolerance. Watching TV is easier for sure, I even use my headphones without being bothered by my reactive T hitting the roof. It just doesn't get that loud any more. But frequencies are still screwed up...

Medication:
Apart from Keppra (2000 daily) I also take vitamin E, and lately started Vastarel (Trimetazidine), 2x35mg daily. It helps with blood micro-circulation. It is similar to stugeron (kinarizin), but that last one gave me some sideffects so I dropped it.

Oh, and I started swimming, summer season is on and Greece has perfect beaches! Will post if that helps too! ;)

Awesome! Sounds you like you're progressing really well, if you can up the dose, do it.

DannyBoy

I saw my ENT yesterday to get some impacted wax removed, and I asked him again if he would put me on Keppra ? And I got the same answer as last time "NO, I won't risk my medical liciense, you can try and see if a nuerologist will give it to you" So I'm looking into that.

But I do have question's ? How bad was your hyperacuisis ? can you tell me about your sympthoms before and after you took Keppra ? I'm just trying to be sure it worth all of the effort to persue this quest. I still think you always had mild hyeracusis. But I could be wrong. My hyperacusis is very bad, everything is very loud, I can't even drive or ride in a car, ( even with ear plugs and gun muffs over them ) did you have that problem ? I bet it never effected you that way ? For me If I try and do just about anything with out the ear plugs and gun muffs, it will spike my tinnitus something ferice. I don'y understand it ? but it happens. Even now a day after the ENT appointment, My ears are still ringing louder then before I wen. And that was only a 30 minute ride in a car ( wearing the ear plugs and gun muffs ) that's like 60 DB of attenuaton. I should have been protected and fine. But NO. I'm just wondering if Keppra would really help me with this degree of hyperacusis ?

Let me know what you think, I would appricate any info

Thank You

Louie

I got my keppra from Spain as these doctors wouldn't risk anything. Anyway, my hyperacusis was really bad everything was too amplified couldn't hold my daughter as she was too loud as was the tv, even normal volume was too loud, so it was pretty bad. Although, it's gone now and I'm so happy. I'm sorry your ENT is horrible and not understanding what you're going through.

Awesome! Sounds you like you're progressing really well, if you can up the dose, do it.
I did so, went to 2500 for a week and had terrible spike and H! Went down to 2000 and thinking about further dropping to 1500mg. I cannot be sure of its theraputic quality since bad days keep coming back to me. There is no constant improvement, only these good signs in good days. But when bad days hit (half of the week) I keep loosing faith in the drug...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now