MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutebutton has been celebrated in Ireland and has won awards. Not medical awards - Business awards. They have been congratulated on developing a device which looks funky and has generated international interest. They have created jobs and since the government has backed it they are delighted with its "progress". It is being launched in the UK this week.

Yet there is not one shred of evidence - even impartial anecdotal evidence - That this device does anything other than tickle your tongue and play you the sounds of the sea... From a medical point of view they may aswell be selling Empty Rice-crispy Boxes which they have painted silver and play the snap crackle and pop sound to the listener.

i think it is fake. But let us wait 6 months and see. If it is good they will produce it, if it is fake you so nothing then...

Where is the evidence that this device works? Where are the double blind clinical trials or something like that.?

Is this something to raise money and to fight against unemployment with the misfortune of someone.?
They said they hope to create 50 jobs with MuteButton. I still believe this is something more than a fraud. but I am no longer sure.

Irish newspaper at 12 december 2014:
http://www.djei.ie/press/2014/20141212a.htm

I am very skeptical given the void of information and the seeming focus on business development over results.

However it's best to reserve judgement until the information is published and we have something tangible to review.

If a study is shown to be heavily biased or poorly controlled, then we can make some of the conclusions that are voiced. Until that time we just don't know enough to pass a judgement.

I will see if they respond to a mail from TT with a bit more information, at least see if they will offer a little more insight into the research. Communication so far seems to be very sales oriented.

I got a mail back from them with an unsatisfactory, generic response about pending data so I've just responded to ask if it is an independent trial of the device with proper controls.

I've been following this a long time in the background and contacted them for publications too. I'm alright with them so far. I'd sooner see a company delay publishing data themselves with a view to it being published by a proper medical journal, than making bold unfounded claims upfront on their website with no medical publication. It is frustrating when you've been waiting for so long but still a good sign in my book.

As it happens I'm 90% convinced its worth a shot now anyway after catching up with my cousin recently. She's been using it for several weeks now and she was just shy of bullying me into trying it. I'll let you know if I go through with it myself as means flying back from UK a bit for me... but I hope it'll be worth it.

I've been following this a long time in the background and contacted them for publications too. I'm alright with them so far. I'd sooner see a company delay publishing data themselves with a view to it being published by a proper medical journal, than making bold unfounded claims upfront on their website with no medical publication. It is frustrating when you've been waiting for so long but still a good sign in my book.

As it happens I'm 90% convinced its worth a shot now anyway after catching up with my cousin recently. She's been using it for several weeks now and she was just shy of bullying me into trying it. I'll let you know if I go through with it myself as means flying back from UK a bit for me... but I hope it'll be worth it.
Is the audio part not tailored to the user, or is it the same for everyone?

Is the audio part not tailored to the user, or is it the same for everyone?

Hi all,
This is my first post here so please go easy with any negative feedback.
I recently signed up for mute button and have been using it for 30 minutes twice a day. Prior to purchasing I had an audio test which identified the high pitch tinnitus frequencies and hearing loss I am experiencing. When fitted for the device I asked and was told that the tracks on the mute button were tailored for my tinnitus frequencies. In my opinion this is the key aspect of the Mutebutton i.e. the intellectual property of how to tailor the soundtrack to each individuals needs. To me the mouthpiece/tongue tp is just an array of electrodes which send tiny shocks to my tongue. I haven't connected them up to a multimeter but would be surprised if the electrodes did anything smarter than just keep firing - by this I mean I don't believe that they are directly linked to the soundtrack. The Mutebutton controller allows the user to increase/decrease the volume and/or the voltage intensity of the tongue tip independently. I don't know if I am right about the tongue tip or not as yet but if I am then the most important aspect of the Mutebutton has to be tailoring the soundtrack to the individual. The tongue tip gives the same sensation as putting your tongue to a 9v battery but not as strong.
As regards the soundtrack I would be most interested in comparing my soundtracks with someone else's to verify that the soundtracks are different/tailored to the individual.
I cannot comment on whether the Mutebutton will work for me or not as I have not completed my 10 weeks programme as yet. I have noticed a difference in my tinnitus already however. It doesn't seem to be as erratic - I don't know if this makes sense but it seems to be more consistent, less fluctuating but still audible. I am still getting used to the tingling sensation which I find persists even after I have finished my 30 minute sessions.

I'll provide more feedback later on in my treatment and will try to answer any questions as best I can. The Mutebutton is very expensive and it is a big decision for most people to try it out. I am very hopeful that it will work for me and I found the consultant and staff both open and professional. If this works and I get the reported average 42pct decrease then it would be money very well spent.

I've read most of the previous posts on this thread and I think most people are just looking for more information so I hope this post helps someone with their decision as it contains the info I would like to have known before I signed up.

Just to say I have no ties with the Mutebutton company other than being a client of theirs.

Regards.

Hi all,
I recently signed up for mute button and have been using it for 30 minutes twice a day. Prior to purchasing I had an audio test which identified the high pitch tinnitus frequencies and hearing loss I am experiencing. When fitted for the device I asked and was told that the tracks on the mute button were tailored for my tinnitus frequencies. In my opinion this is the key aspect of the Mutebutton i.e. the intellectual property of how to tailor the soundtrack to each individuals needs. To me the mouthpiece/tongue tp is just an array of electrodes which send tiny shocks to my tongue. I haven't connected them up to a multimeter but would be surprised if the electrodes did anything smarter than just keep firing - by this I mean I don't believe that they are directly linked to the soundtrack. The Mutebutton controller allows the user to increase/decrease the volume and/or the voltage intensity of the tongue tip independently. I don't know if I am right about the tongue tip or not as yet but if I am then the most important aspect of the Mutebutton has to be tailoring the soundtrack to the individual. The tongue tip gives the same sensation as putting your tongue to a 9v battery but not as strong.
As regards the soundtrack I would be most interested in comparing my soundtracks with someone else's to verify that the soundtracks are different/tailored to the individual.
I cannot comment on whether the Mutebutton will work for me or not as I have not completed my 10 weeks programme as yet. I have noticed a difference in my tinnitus already however. It doesn't seem to be as erratic - I don't know if this makes sense but it seems to be more consistent, less fluctuating but still audible. I am still getting used to the tingling sensation which I find persists even after I have finished my 30 minute sessions.

I'll provide more feedback later on in my treatment and will try to answer any questions as best I can. The Mutebutton is very expensive and it is a big decision for most people to try it out. I am very hopeful that it will work for me and I found the consultant and staff both open and professional. If this works and I get the reported average 42pct decrease then it would be money very well spent.

I've read most of the previous posts on this thread and I think most people are just looking for more information so I hope this post helps someone with their decision as it contains the info I would like to have known before I signed up.

Just to say I have no ties with the Mutebutton company other than being a client of theirs.

Regards.
Hi @Tinman and welcome, thank you for sharing this with us.

Can you describe the music / sound pattern they use at all? Wondering if it's noise, tones, notched audio or none of the above?

And also how does it feel when you are using the device, is there a flattening or lessening of your tinnitus, is it even meant to do that? Have they given you an outcome measure for the treatment and an estimated time to be using it?

Sorry for all the questions, just very interested to understand more. I imagine also that you will get a few more questions from all of the other people interested in the device.

Steve

Hi @Tinman and welcome, thank you for sharing this with us.

Can you describe the music / sound pattern they use at all? Wondering if it's noise, tones, notched audio or none of the above?

And also how does it feel when you are using the device, is there a flattening or lessening of your tinnitus, is it even meant to do that? Have they given you an outcome measure for the treatment and an estimated time to be using it?

Sorry for all the questions, just very interested to understand more. I imagine also that you will get a few more questions from all of the other people interested in the device.

Steve

Hi Steve.
Apologies I had to edit my post as I pressed post reply by mistake before I had finished.
To answer your questions. The device has 5 tracks on it I think. The user can pick whichever one they prefer. Each track sounds like a rainfall / waterfall / river i.e. water sounds. It is interspersed with pleasant piano tracks in the background, I think that the only difference between the tracks is the volume of the background piano track but I am open to correction. Along with the piano track their are occasional higher pitched sounds like birds or crickets. I reckon these are the ones linked to the brain retraining but that's just my guess as the other sounds are all lower in frequency.

As regards how I feel when using the device. I was instructed to set the volume just below the volume of my tinnitus so it could still be heard. As such the tinnitus is not drowned out.

I think that I was told that about two thirds of people are likely to benefit from the treatment. Of those the average decrease is 42pct. I took this to mean that my audio test indicated that I was in the two thirds of tinnitus patients likely to benefit and that the other third would not be recommended to take the treatment.

I hope this answers your questions ok?

Hi Steve.
Apologies I had to edit my post as I pressed post reply by mistake before I had finished.
To answer your questions. The device has 5 tracks on it I think. The user can pick whichever one they prefer. Each track sounds like a rainfall / waterfall / river i.e. water sounds. It is interspersed with pleasant piano tracks in the background, I think that the only difference between the tracks is the volume of the background piano track but I am open to correction. Along with the piano track their are occasional higher pitched sounds like birds or crickets. I reckon these are the ones linked to the brain retraining but that's just my guess as the other sounds are all lower in frequency.

As regards how I feel when using the device. I was instructed to set the volume just below the volume of my tinnitus so it could still be heard. As such the tinnitus is not drowned out.

I think that I was told that about two thirds of people are likely to benefit from the treatment. Of those the average decrease is 42pct. I took this to mean that my audio test indicated that I was in the two thirds of tinnitus patients likely to benefit and that the other third would not be recommended to take the treatment.

I hope this answers your questions ok?
Excellent thank you.

It sounds like it is producing broadband noise on all tracks, same principle as a noise generator (although in-ear noise generators have a terrible frequency response so you don't get a true broadband noise - they're equivalent to bad earbuds).

Was there any explanation when you attended the appointment of how the sound element worked? I wonder if you can analyse a recording at all and check the frequency content to see if it's manipulated in some way, if not I can do that with a sample of the sound - if that is legal within the terms of the device of course.

Look forward to some updates.

Excellent thank you.

It sounds like it is producing broadband noise on all tracks, same principle as a noise generator (although in-ear noise generators have a terrible frequency response so you don't get a true broadband noise - they're equivalent to bad earbuds).

Was there any explanation when you attended the appointment of how the sound element worked? I wonder if you can analyse a recording at all and check the frequency content to see if it's manipulated in some way, if not I can do that with a sample of the sound - if that is legal within the terms of the device of course.

Look forward to some updates.

Hi Steve,
As regards how the sound element worked - I asked if the sounds on my device were tailored to my tinnitus frequencies and was told that they were. I was also told that I could use the device in audio only mode i.e. without the tongue tip but that this wouldn't give me the full benefit of the treatment. The headphones are paired to the Mutebutton using Bluetooth. It should be possible to re-pair the device to another Bluetooth device for the purpose of recording a sample of the soundtrack but I am reluctant to play around too much with the hardware in case I screw it up and interrupt my treatment. I don't recall signing any legal agreement on using the Mutebutton device and didn't see anything in the instruction manual to this effect.

I am new to this forum - is there a PM (private message) service ? If so then you can PM me offline if you want to explore further.

Rgds,

@Tinman thank you very much for your testimony.

I think this reminds me of TRT. I think TRT works in this way but more slowly.

I think TRT works with sounds a bit below the Tinnitus. So what is the utility of the device in the tongue?. Maybe make faster the process of habituation.?

In this case this treatment ignores the emotional factors

the 1st part of treatment TRT is
a counselling component that teaches people about tinnitus and helps them to dissociate feelings of panic from the auditory sensations, and an old Pavlovian technique called "passive extinction."

I see no similarity with VNS treatment (Vagus Nerve Stimulation).

I'm not any expert @Tinman. I wish you success with the treatment.
We have to wait for updates and more testimonials

Hi all,

Regards.

If it doesn't work, I'll buy it off you lol

thermometer.jpg

"Uh... This one... this one goes in your mouth."

Seriously though, I think it's pretty neat that so many different methods are being utilize to explore the healing power of neuroplasticity. I'm sparing my cynicism for this one.

If you do a search on the limited research notes on the website you can find the full and detailed clinical trial.
But this sounds to me that it will work. Basics

1) play broadband noise etc amplifying essentially where you have noise induced hearing loss.... Basic basic
2) electrode and stimulation of nervous system to create neuro plasticity

Essentially the same as vagnus nerve theory but via tounge vs vagnus... and no need for implant nor a few years wait.

Nerve stimulation while having all neurons in the brain responding to normally lost sound

Thus forcing the 'zwicker tone' effect downwards.

People here need to relax a bit. They are waiting on journal approvals, for europe and uk launch, and 2016 usa launch. Have CE mark

The fact they are NOT hard selling, the basic science, its simple. FASTER neuromodulation via nerve stimulis to force brain rewiring. It backs up vagnus nerve work, neuromonics, and even basic amplification theory (just no nerve work to quicken brain changes)

Also....and hey i have 50 decibel tinnitus constantly at 5000 hertz, i dont work for these guys, just ghe negativity of this site is too much...

If not happy with it after 90 days you can return and get 3/5 back. So euro is weak, its cheap, science clearly makes sense, trials data published 5th March 2015 so recent. Just wait and see. But this to me is years of work and the BEST thing ive read about in 10 years ... Thats available. Now.

. This i feel then hearing aid amplification when not in use will force neuro rewiring, reducing tinnitus, for those with heavy zwicker tone... Noise induced... T
If you think its fake...you have no grip on neuromonics or induced plasticity of brain

This imho will stand a very high chance of working. I be happy to put 1000 euro on the line(given return fee if no result) , esp as euro so weak, and trial this for the website. I will call them tomorrow.

Pghrra exact opposite of Trt. Exact similarity with vagus nerve just different way / nerve route to brain. Less invasive and no need for implant. You are incorrect. Zero therapy or mind. Actual neuronic re wiring. Its neuromonics with nerve induced plasticity. Exact same as vagus! Just different nerve

READ.... Approved 5th March 2015. They are on more. Broadband noise is just to ensure all sound frequencies are heard... The nerves attacked via tounge (instead of vagnus nerve but exactly same principle) again believe for zwicker tone tinnitus... A a brain filling in where unhave noise loss and fsilure to compress (skew on high frequnecy outer vs inner hair damage aka heavy noise induced from speakers, concert, or gun shors)

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wi...ration-customised-sensory/WO2015028549A1.html

I found it by googling some of the currently limited data.

Timman i would say its more the stimulation of nerves thats vital. Rest is simply per link getting noise to all frequencies inc lost ones. Just amplified the lost frequency gaps. But 30 mins.... A day.... Waaaay less than ACRN and way cheaper.
Keep in mind the 90 day... All money back excep 1000 euro, if it doesnt work. Its on the website which relaxed me more. So will defo give this a go.

Ok im done. Read link. Less negative people. Its been years to get this far. Science makes sense.

Patience and non resistance is the key... I agree that sometimes too much negativity on this forum. I have asked questions to muteButton and they have responded very professionally, I think they are legitimate.

Sorry, my english is no good.
4 months ago I thought like you @SteveO. I thought that MuteButton was a great achievement and I recommended it to many people. Then I saw things like there are no reliable and public clinical trials and things like that. And that made me fear that this was another failure. There are a lot of fraud and much "snake oil" on the issue of Tinnitus.

But what you say has given me back enthusiasm and hope.
I never thought it was something like TRT but something new, but an user says he was told that the device in the tongue was expendable and it confuses me.

I always thought that was similar to VNS, without vagus nerve, since the trigeminal nerve and not the vagus is stimulated, as they say on their website.
And it is great.
I really like the work of Dr. Kilgard with VNS.

I'm following the thread "Participant Experience: Vagus Nerve Stimulation" on TT.

I admire your courage for using MuteButton.

I think we would like to see the testimonial of people who have tested Mutebutton successfuly and discarding the placebo effect.
I trust science as well and I think soon we will see something very efficient against Tinnitus (MuteButton, VNS, AUT00063, OTO-311 stem cells, etc, etc)
I regret that feeling of negativity created, but money is hard to win and nobody wants to be cheated because that discourage. Thanks.

If you do a search on the limited research notes on the website you can find the full and detailed clinical trial.
But this sounds to me that it will work. Basics

1) play broadband noise etc amplifying essentially where you have noise induced hearing loss.... Basic basic
2) electrode and stimulation of nervous system to create neuro plasticity

Do you have a link to this clinical trial?

People here need to relax a bit. They are waiting on journal approvals, for europe and uk launch, and 2016 usa launch. Have CE mark

I have asked them that over 16 month ago.....still....nothing!

The fact they are NOT hard selling, the basic science, its simple. FASTER neuromodulation via nerve stimulis to force brain rewiring. It backs up vagnus nerve work, neuromonics, and even basic amplification theory (just no nerve work to quicken brain changes)

Show us any research that shows us that tongue tickling is the same as vagus nerve stimulation.....

If you think its fake...you have no grip on neuromonics or induced plasticity of brain

Pghrra exact opposite of Trt. Exact similarity with vagus nerve just different way / nerve route to brain. Less invasive and no need for implant. You are incorrect. Zero therapy or mind. Actual neuronic re wiring. Its neuromonics with nerve induced plasticity. Exact same as vagus! Just different nerve

Vagus nerve stimulation has been done for almost a decade. The exact mechanism of action is not fully understood, but the results are very consistent. Pair stimulation of the vagus nerve with any other sensor stimulus and the brain start to pay attention. There is no research that compares tongue tickling to vagus nerve stimulation (in general or MuteButton specific). There is no research that tongue tickling is a tool to direct plasticity.....it's just not there.

People tend to refer to the woman that lost her balance because of inner ear problems. She used a tongue device to regain her balance. Although brain plasticity was the reason she learned to balance again, the tongue device did not induce this plasticity. This device is just a tool to inform her brain if she was balanced or not. It is basically just informing the brain if it is doing a good job or not. The plasticity was induce by her doing the extensive training.....you know....doing an exercise and pay attention.

You need far more than just a good functioning inner ear to stay balanced. Visual and tactile muscle feedback are very important. Just a challenge for you.....go have a ice cold chest deep bath until you body is nice and numb, close your eyes and stand on 1 foot.....

Ok im done. Read link. Less negative people. Its been years to get this far. Science makes sense.
[/QUOTE]

They do not release any research results but they do quote clinical trial patients right above the "order" button....that is just sick....

I posted the link to the trails yes. Rest is being reviewed. Was approved 5th march 2015
Science makes sense. Basic broadband sound adjusted to hearing loss while firing nerves to set brain plasticity. Same as vagus nerve but just stimulus via tounge etc. simples.

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wi...ration-customised-sensory/WO2015028549A1.html

Here. But not on website. I has to dig for it. But planning european and usa launch. Its not like they are hard selling. Just limited ireland release waiting for journals and country approvals. Trail does seem small but years to get this through. But take a look at science. Simple idea really. Just depends if tounge tip can enduce plasticity.
Noise induced t only i assume.
Ps they test you to see if eligable. If i do this i have to fly there and may not even be able to sign up for one. So no hard sell. This is just one .. Assume be alot more.

I think it could work but limited result hence may go for it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now