MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a business point of view, they would be crazy to give anyone special treatment. It's just not how you do business.

For those that do do discounts it's either across the board or strictly hush hush.
Agreed, they are not a charity or some non-profit organisation, they and the investors want to profit from this and grow, hoping to take a lead on the market.

To be honest most doctors are fairly clueless about research developments in general (I had to explain hyperacusis to ENTs and audiologists so many times it's not even funny) so I wouldn't think this makes a difference.
I see what your're saying. However, Neuromod will have to push this thing to market actively. In the Q&A they specifically noted that the device would have to be set-up by an audiologist. Therefore, these people will need to be familiarized with the device before it can even roll out and be accessible to us. Neuromod will have to push this device onto their radar.

Hence, I believe that if the release of the product were imminent, Neuromod would be informing clinicians at this point. I expect audiologists to be among the first to know this is coming due to the marketing approach mentioned in the Q&A. As long as they don't have it on their radar, it's not happening.

For this reason, it would be good to know whether someone has his ear close to an Irish audiologist. If they crow, the infantry is just over the hill.

I already emailed a few local (EU) audiologist companies about Neuromod and I've only heard back from one of them. Time to contact the central offices, methinks! We should probably all do this, the more the better.

For those who missed in the Q&A thread:
Greetings - Just off the phone with Neuromod and they genuinely do not have a date or even a ballpark idea when it will release. "Soon" was all that could be given at this stage.

R
It seems January is out of the question.

How can you not have a ballpark idea but mention 'soon' in the same sentence?

I see what your're saying. However, Neuromod will have to push this thing to market actively. In the Q&A they specifically noted that the device would have to be set-up by an audiologist. Therefore, these people will need to be familiarized with the device before it can even roll out and be accessible to us. Neuromod will have to push this device onto their radar.

Hence, I believe that if the release of the product were imminent, Neuromod would be informing clinicians at this point. I expect audiologists to be among the first to know this is coming due to the marketing approach mentioned in the Q&A. As long as they don't have it on their radar, it's not happening.
Their Twitter feed indicates they've been doing presentations about their trial and device at conferences / trade shows etc for the last year or so, so they have been starting to put the word out. The fact that they're pushing these videos of the trial participants tells me they're almost ready to press go, but I imagine they don't want to put a date on it to avoid missing an arbitrary, self-imposed deadline. Underpromise and overdeliver - it's never good for any enterprise to do it the other way round.

The fact that they're pushing these videos of the trial participants tells me they're almost ready to press go
The future will tell, of course, and I can be wrong. But I do not think that a few presentations and clips on their website will be sufficient for audiologists to start offering it to their patients. This is a new type of technology, not an improved hearing aid. If they aren't already making an effort to educate and inform practitioners, I think, they are nowhere close to having this made available to us.

The more I think about this, the more skeptical I become and the less happy I am about how Neuromod handles this.

Remember, they are not beyond releasing a scam.

Remember, they are not beyond releasing a scam.

As we all very well know, tinnitus is an exceptionally hard condition to treat. I think we can forgive a company for failing with their first attempt at it. They kept it up, poured even more money into it, brought onboard even more talent, performed even more studies and now they're having a second go, which they are starting slowly and carefully. I don't think there are any red flags here.

Their 'science advisory board' is the thing that gives me hope that this has potential for effectiveness. Rich Tyler is a world renowned tinnitus researcher and Deb Hall is of the leading lights in tinnitus research in the UK. I've heard of both of them from numerous sources since I've been struggling w/ my tinnitus, not just from this enterprise.

Surely they wouldn't risk their reputations by getting involved with something they thought was just a shot in the dark? One of them, maybe, could make a mistake, but both of them? That's before you get to Hubert Lim, who I hadn't heard of before all this excitement, but was apparently previously involved in some of the original research that led to all this, at the University of Minnesota.

I'm checking Neuromod's website daily since the turn of the year, but if it takes another couple of months, I'll tough it out. We've come this far, right?

Let's find this guy...

Hear from clinical trial volunteer Hugh, who noticed a significant reduction in tinnitus volume after 6 weeks of using Neuromod's bimodal neuromodulation treatment device for tinnitus.
Well that's one thing I don't understand, that only one of the Neuromod participants is/was a member of this board as it seems. This forum was the first one that came up when I was looking for answers and I am from tiny Belgium and I'm Dutch speaking so it's not difficult to come here.

I mean how did they recruit these people in the first place?

If I was cured or at least helped I would be all over this board to tell others...

Well that's one thing I don't understand, that only one of the Neuromod participants is/was a member of this board as it seems. This forum was the first one that came up when I was looking for answers and I am from tiny Belgium and I'm Dutch speaking so it's not difficult to come here.

I mean how did they recruit these people in the first place?

If I was cured or at least helped I would be all over this board to tell others...
Look in the thread Q&A: Tinnitus Hub Meets Neuromod (Lenire)

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ets-neuromod-lenire.32369/page-15#post-403240
I was lucky enough to be selected to be on the clinical trials for this.

I was pretty skeptical about it but my tinnitus was driving me nuts so I was willing to try anything. It did improve my tinnitus by the end of the trial and interestingly my tinnitus continued to quieten after I stopped using the device.

By the time the 6 month check came around my tinnitus had gone completely. I had a constant worry that the tinnitus would return but it hasn't to this day.

I had my tinnitus for over a year and a half, its cause was completely unknown but it came on gradually. It was in my right ear and was a constant beep tone, that could be worse on some days. They said my hearing was perfect and I can hear quite high frequency sounds.

I am really thankful it worked for me but I did happen to speak to some older participants in the trial and they did not have the same improvement. So I guess it works better for some than others, depending on your tinnitus and maybe not so much if you have hearing loss.

I hope it's okay for me to comment here, I think it is now that the trial is over. I don't want to give anyone false hope but I had to say it did work for me. I guess I was lucky!

As we all very well know, tinnitus is an exceptionally hard condition to treat. I think we can forgive a company for failing with their first attempt at it. They kept it up, poured even more money into it, brought onboard even more talent, performed even more studies and now they're having a second go, which they are starting slowly and carefully. I don't think there are any red flags here.
I don't see failing as failure. It's a learning curve. They took what they could from it and as you say brought on some major talent to improve.

That's the attitude of winners.

I don't understand why people care if they recruit people on the boards or not. There are usually a stringent set of requirements when they start building use cases and target groups.

This forum really is only such a small fraction of sufferers and there is nothing saying there are millions out there suffering as bad as we are but just not on this forum.

I don't understand why people care if they recruit people on the boards or not. There are usually a stringent set of requirements when they start building use cases and target groups.

This forum really is only such a small fraction of sufferers and there is nothing saying there are millions out there suffering as bad as we are but just not on this forum.
I don't care if they recruit people from here or anywhere else, I am just surprised since the language on this board is English and they recruited people from Ireland that there is only Clare who is a member of this forum that we know of, that's all.

When I first had tinnitus I immediately ended up here as it is the largest community with 27000 members.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to this device and will hopefully have the chance trying it.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but for anyone looking to potentially bring the device back to the U.S. from Ireland:

https://www.fda.gov/forindustry/importprogram/importbasics/ucm432661.htm#biodevices
Thanks for posting this. I was curious about this as I plan to travel to Ireland the minute I can get an appointment for MuteButton.

Also this seems critical to us "Import Alert #12-03 "Detention without Physical Examination of Imported Soft Cheese and Soft Ripened Cheese from France."

Will employees detect that it is a medical device? It has headphones!
Also the pictures show it to be completely like an MP3 player with an iPod like soapbox design, a play button etc. The only thing that looks weird is the tongue electrode.

I guess if you store the device and the headset in one place and the electrode in another together with some random chargers/electrical cables, nobody will be able to notice that it's a medical device.

I think the border people see so many different sorts of electronic crap daily that this won't even register.

Also the pictures show it to be completely like an MP3 player with an iPod like soapbox design, a play button etc. The only thing that looks weird is the tongue electrode.

I guess if you store the device and the headset in one place and the electrode in another together with some random chargers/electrical cables, nobody will be able to notice that it's a medical device.

I think the border people see so many different sorts of electronic crap daily that this won't even register.
They should change the brand name. "Neuromod" sounds weird for an MP3. Haha.

They should change the brand name. "Neuromod" sounds weird for an MP3. Haha.
The device will be called Lenire. Neuromod has filed that trademark on November 22, 2018!

lenire.jpg

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/017988683

Etymology
From Latin lēnīre, present active infinitive of lēniō ("I soften, soothe; I mollify, assuage, appease, pacify").

Huh, interesting. I didn't realise this was confirmed already. Why haven't we heard this name anywhere?
It's unconfirmed. I just put two and two together. Why would they have registered a trademark a mere two months ago that means "I soften, soothe; I mollify, assuage, appease, pacify" if they weren't planning on naming the device that?

I don't understand why people care if they recruit people on the boards or not.

I do understand.

The forum is important for the same reason user-reviews are important. It's a consumer-protection mechanism. There is a greater level of trust in testimonials here than any curated testimonials on the company's site (like the videos on Neuromod's site). That's not to knee-jerk accuse those testimonials of being fabricated, but that there's an inherent conflict of interest there that isn't present here.

While it's true that the people here are only a tiny fraction of T sufferers, where else could we go to sample truly impartial testimonials? Unless the mainstream media swoops down and investigates, there's no way of knowing how they fared. So you have to rely on communities like these.

I do understand.

The forum is important for the same reason user-reviews are important. It's a consumer-protection mechanism. There is a greater level of trust in testimonials here than any curated testimonials on the company's site (like the videos on Neuromod's site). That's not to knee-jerk accuse those testimonials of being fabricated, but that there's an inherent conflict of interest there that isn't present here.

While it's true that the people here are only a tiny fraction of T sufferers, where else could we go to sample truly impartial testimonials? Unless the mainstream media swoops down and investigates, there's no way of knowing how they fared. So you have to rely on communities like these.
Couldn't have said it better and exactly the point I was trying to make ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now