MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this treatment is that any suggestion of a cure sounds too good to be true, so of course people will be doubting it. All we've ever been told about tinnitus is that you have to 'live with it', and our best outcome is that we'll stop being bothered by it.

Even if this treatment isn't yet effective for everyone it looks like a real big step in the right direction, and I really believe that in years to come people will look back and be shocked that we used to have to live with tinnitus.
Not to be nit picky but this isn't a cure, but a treatment.

Who knows if longer usuage of 30-60 mins a day might have greater beneficial effect as well as longer than 12 weeks. For example, check out Hugh's story - he noticed a significant reduction at 6 weeks and noticed a further reduction at 12 weeks. Logic would assume that if you kept using it for longer (or longer than 1 hour a day) it would continue.

What are people's thoughts about another Q&A with Neurmod that @Markku suggested? I certainly have a handful of questions that I would think they would be able to answer before it's peer-reviewed.

Was thinking the same thing about the length of the therapy. They took 12 weeks for trial purposes, to be able to follow up for 12 months and see if it's permanent, but I'm sure there's no reason why you would stop at that point. If it continued to show progress, I'd be using that device till I hit zero on my symptoms.

Concerning the Q&A: I think it's a good idea, but as was suggested earlier, probably best to do it in written text. That way, there would be fewer hours of work to put into, and you could get the answers faster.

However, as the tour of presentations at Neuromod has started, and they're hopefully working to get this release out, you'd probably be hard pressed for them to have the time.

Yeah, the subjects were only using them for 12 weeks. What's keeping you from making this part of your daily routine indefinitely? Or is that something we shouldn't be doing?

What are people's thoughts about another Q&A with Neurmod that @Markku suggested? I certainly have a handful of questions that I would think they would be able to answer before it's peer-reviewed.
Would love that, but I doubt they would consent to one so soon after the first one?

Maybe we could ask them to hand out samples :whistle:

My question would be about the release date of course. And how it will be made available.

@kelpiemsp,
There's a very important question for you that I'm sure many are interested in.

After the treatment did you stop getting the spikes in your tinnitus?
Are you able to be around loud noises (traffic, trains, airplanes) without tinnitus reacting/spiking?
Does anything now affects your tinnitus or it stays at stable low level?
Do you experience hyperacusis?

Thank you.
My tinnitus never really spiked. That being said, I had a reactive element to it that has gotten better. I also had mild hyperacusis, that went away. Hard to say whether that was from time or not. But I do see that my results are inline with Neuromod's.

Also, there is very little media coverage on a supposedly promising new treatment for a very common condition.

I would have thought it would have gained a lot more attention even at this stage pre-release.
That could be a good thing. If there was a media frenzy, no one here would be able to even get through Neuromod's front door for crowds.

What are people's thoughts about another Q&A with Neurmod that @Markku suggested? I certainly have a handful of questions that I would think they would be able to answer before it's peer-reviewed
Would love that, but I doubt they would consent to one so soon after the first one?

Maybe we could ask them to hand out samples :whistle:

My question would be about the release date of course. And how it will be made available.
I think the last one was pretty comprehensive, only major questions now are when's the trial data being published and when's it being released!

My tinnitus never really spiked. That being said, I had a reactive element to it that has gotten better. I also had mild hyperacusis, that went away. Hard to say whether that was from time or not. But I do see that my results are inline with Neuromod's.
I appreciate it's probably not public knowledge but any idea on Susan Shore's timeline?

I'd be on the next plane out there if it was available to the public :D

IMHO, there should be a 2nd Tinnitus Talk Q&A session with Neuromod where these sorts of questions can be put to them.

BTW, I don't know how you actually do a placebo with something like this. A sugar pill is one thing but if the thing isn't stimulating your tongue then you're going to know it. And if you adjust the synchronization of the stimulation intentionally to a setting that "doesn't work" it could potentially have unwanted side-effects of its own rather than doing nothing.
I really do wonder how important placebo is anyways, nobody with suicidal tinnitus is going to say wow life is great again purely on placebo.

I appreciate it's probably not public knowledge but any idea on Susan Shore's timeline?

I'd be on the next plane out there if it was available to the public :D
Probably a few years yet. I've been thinking about the comparisons between these two devices. The one that sticks out most to me is the numbers of participants in the clinical trials. Neuromod's clinical trials have involved between 500 and 700 people. Once completed Susan Shore will have 135 participants combined in her two trials. I'm not sure what if anything can be read into this.

Susan Shore's trials are well behind to Neuromod's. Neuromod have poured loads of money into trials, who knows what will happen to Shore's device, or if it will ever reach market if Neuromod go on to have lots of success?

We don't need another Q&A, we simply need that device ASAP!
"Welcome back to another Q&A with Neuromod"!

"The first question comes from Patrick who asks 'when will this be released'? We're vague trolling right now so we're going to ignore it. Next question"!

"Threefirefour asks 'what day will you release this'? Again we're not going to say".

"Next question is from Contrast, who asks 'What position will the earth be in its annual orbit around the sun when Neuromod will begin marketing the medical device to the public'? God damn it are all the questions like this?"

"Welcome back to another Q&A with Neuromod"!

"The first question comes from Patrick who asks 'when will this be released'? We're vague trolling right now so we're going to ignore it. Next question"!

"Threefirefour asks 'what day will you release this'? Again we're not going to say".

"Next question is from Contrast, who asks 'What position will the earth be in its annual orbit around the sun when Neuromod will begin marketing the medical device to the public'? God damn it are all the questions like this?"
Gotta agree, I think the first Q&A was as informative as it could be and a second wouldn't get us any closer to the answers we actually want.

1. Does it work? - The answer lies somewhere between maybe and perhaps.
2. When can I have one? - I assume when they know they'll announce it so they can get those sweet pre-orders and news articles marketing for them.

As much as I hate waiting around, looks like it's still the only real option.

Dr. Ross O'Neill sidestepping questions like Bill Clinton in his prime.

upload_2019-2-22_11-23-47.png

In the Q&A video, Dr. O'Neill said they excluded from the study people with TMJ, whiplash and pulsatile tinnitus... But nothing mentioned about eustachian tube disorder.

I think that a lot of people with tinnitus have TMJ or eustachian tube disease associated to. So, I hope the device won't be not indicated for these cases.

I sent them an email to ask, and they said they will answer me soon...

In the Q&A video, Dr. O'Neill said they excluded from the study people with TMJ, whiplash and pulsatile tinnitus... But nothing mentioned about eustachian tube disorder.

I think that a lot of people with tinnitus have TMJ or eustachian tube disease associated to. So, I hope the device won't be not indicated for these cases.

I sent them an email to ask, and they said they will answer me soon...
As stated, this device works on breaking up that overactive synced neural activity. So it does not matter (at least from what we know now) what is driving your tinnitus, as they are solely changing things on the side of the brain (DCN). The reason they excluded those groups is because of testing, they need people with tinnitus that is wholly based off of acoustic trauma because it supports their hypothesis. Also, the more exclusions, the better the understanding, and then they can move on to other subsets (like somatic and hyperacusis) when they get their data.

Again, they excluded those groups because of testing, IT DOES NOT MEAN IT WON'T WORK FOR YOU. If you look at the science, it wouldn't make sense why those factors make a difference. The only thing I can think of is ETD (which I have) making it come back. But then again, tons of people have ETD and no tinnitus.

I can only assume people with TMJ and ETD, and the likes were in the trial, and just didn't say anything about their condition. We will know much more when the data is published.

Is there any chance of them not releasing this device and pushing it back like they did the first time?
I don't have that impression so far, they've got 3 trials behind them consisting of over 500 patients with some evidence it improves tinnitus. The TENT-A1 looks promising, but who knows how the TENT-A2 will go, will it confirm the results from TENT-A1, or will it show different results altogether? Or will they find even greater protocols to improve efficacy? TENT-A2 is still ongoing and I don't expect to see the results of that one until the end of the year, with the peer reviewed TENT-A1 coming first.

On another note, not sure why people are doubting this tech. Will it be a panacea? Probably not at first. But the fact that four labs are independently working on the same modality means something.

TENT-A2 did have positive results. As they wrote in their presentation overview:

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 12.44.12 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now