MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this. If improvements can be made to the device by updating the firmware/software, they should be able to push out improvements to the treatment after it's in the hands of the user, à la Tesla, no?
Tesla does over the air updates: they can do it because the car is always connected (either via WiFi or cellular).

I don't think this device will be networked (because cost).

However, it makes sense that it would be software-updatable (it's just the norm for micro controllers), but I wouldn't be surprised if the procedure to update it required either a special hardware dongle and/or special software that is not available to the general public.

This is extremely common for all medical devices (they don't let people hack their devices).
I imagine you'd have to bring the device to a professional to upgrade it, perhaps for a fee.

Tesla does over the air updates: they can do it because the car is always connected (either via WiFi or cellular).

I don't think this device will be networked (because cost).

However, it makes sense that it would be software-updatable (it's just the norm for micro controllers), but I wouldn't be surprised if the procedure to update it required either a special hardware dongle and/or special software that is not available to the general public.

This is extremely common for all medical devices (they don't let people hack their devices).
I imagine you'd have to bring the device to a professional to upgrade it, perhaps for a fee.
I would expect the nearest audiologist to email their MuteButton customers to bring in their devices for a maintenance update. It could be a free or payable service. Kind of like readjusting hearing devices after a year or two?

It's services like these that could create support for this solution with audiologists. I think they would make great outlets to spread awareness and make the device feel mature, supported and trustworthy with the general public.

Also, they could capture feedback and run more tests on patients and feed that back to Neuromod.

Damn how are we in March and still not hear anything else from Neuromod?

Thought I'd be living it up with electrodes strapped to my tongue, enjoying those 12-hour sleeps.

At least we are all coming out of this with the patience of saints right?

Thought I'd be living it up with electrodes strapped to my tongue, enjoying those 12-hour sleeps.

I think it's best to accept that none of us are getting anywhere near this device until after the summer and perhaps even 2020. There just isn't any competition pushing them to market and they're still being funded by investors so don't need actual customers to keep money flowing through the books... oh and they really don't give a fuck about us lot.

It makes more sense now that I realize that you wouldn't want to push a device without quality evidence and science behind it. Once the paper is published and peer reviewed (probably after the conferences) then I'm sure we will see a lot of activity from Neuromod pushing their device.

I have a feeling that by May (just a guess given the amount of time it takes) we will start seeing a flood of info.

I know that information brings security (makes us feel better) but take comfort in the fact that they are most likely working really hard to get this stuff published and pushed because they did find a treatment that works. It wont cure it, but I have a really good feeling it will reduce the noise and/or intensity.

I think it's best to accept that none of us are getting anywhere near this device until after the summer and perhaps even 2020. There just isn't any competition pushing them to market and they're still being funded by investors so don't need actual customers to keep money flowing through the books... oh and they really don't give a fuck about us lot.
Capitalism, ho!

I know that information brings security (makes us feel better) but take comfort in the fact that they are most likely working really hard to get this stuff published and pushed because they did find a treatment that works. It wont cure it, but I have a really good feeling it will reduce the noise and/or intensity.
Nah I understand the situation. I'm just making a good joke of it all because waiting around is boring. I'm anxious to get started at any minute.

Strap me in boys. I'll take every electrode you got.

Being a gamer has taught me several useful lessons, the most important right now: rumored or even officially announced release dates don't mean jack sh*t. :D And even more importantly: games that were delayed so they could be properly finished end up much better than games that were rushed to get finished by some arbitrary point in time.

So I think there's zero reason to worry here: Neuromod is most probably frantically at work tying up all loose ends. I'm sure they really really do not want to botch this launch and for the sake of all of us I agree with them.

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your email.

We are working hard to bring this device to market. Hubert Lim, our Chief Scientific Officer is busy posing nude for a photo shoot with the tongue tickler placed firmly on his balls for his favourite Tinnitus Talk member - Bam. Can you please let him know he does care about him.

Regards,

Neuromod

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your email.

We are working hard to bring this device to market. Hubert Lim, our Chief Scientific Officer is busy posing nude for a photo shoot with the tongue tickler placed firmly on his balls for his favourite Tinnitus Talk member - Bam. Can you please let him know he does care about him.

Regards,

Neuromod
Dear Neuromod,

Please thank Hubert for his kind and reassuring words. With his cuddly teddy bear demeanour and ruthless tinnitus destroying nerd brain, he is by far and away my favourite member of Neuromod. I only wish my tongue was in the vicinity of his testicles right now.

P.S. ...hurry the fuck up.

Best,

BAM.

Perhaps they need such long time because nobody thought about industrialization and now they struggle to find suppliers who can build 1000s of this device.
Nah. There's a factory in China that have been pumping out Neuromods for a while at £5 a pop I would imagine. The unit must be very simple to manufacture if people on here have created very similar ones.

I'm genuinely starting to believe that within a few years this tech will become refined to the point where tinnitus will generally be viewed as a treatable condition.

Imagine what it would have been like walking into your doctor's office when you first developed tinnitus and having him say here's a new treatment option instead of "just learn to live with it."

Perhaps they need such long time because nobody thought about industrialization and now they struggle to find suppliers who can build 1000s of this device.
Is there a point of comparison to determine whether they're taking such a long time or not?

Seems like "long time" is rather subjective.

BTW, as harmless as this device may seem, things still need to go through proper approvals and due diligence.

Want to know what happens when the regulatory system fails?
My mother was severely impacted by that one.

Is there a point of comparison to determine whether they're taking such a long time or not?

BTW, as harmless as this device may seem, things still need to go through proper approvals and due diligence.
The way I see it Neuromod is in a no-win situation with this forum when it comes to the release. If they rushed the release in order to placate us and the situation wasn't right we would tear them up. If they make us wait while they tie up loose ends they will hear about it too. If it works when it's released then all will be forgotten.

I'm genuinely starting to believe that within a few years this tech will become refined to the point where tinnitus will generally be viewed as a treatable condition.

Imagine what it would have been like walking into your doctor's office when you first developed tinnitus and having him say here's a new treatment option instead of "just learn to live with it."
This would be glorious.

But I hope that even if this is the case, doctors will let patients struggle for a few weeks. To teach them in the most painful and direct way possible to respect their ears in the future. Even if tinnitus becomes treatable, hearing loss will not for some time.

Want to know what happens when the regulatory system fails?
My mother was severely impacted by that one.
Sorry about your mother. The regulatory system for medical devices in the UK and to a lesser extent the US is lax beyond belief. Mostly this causes problems when it comes to implantable devices. I've been campaigning around this for years. Have had nothing but new health problems since the implantation of a device during surgery. The issue is suddenly getting much more media coverage as the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists are doing a huge investigation. Basic clinical trial data and post release monitoring are lacking for devices. They can't go through the same extensive tests as drugs do before release even though implantable devices are often much more risky that drugs, so implantable devices outcomes should be logged in mandatory databases. They aren't, and as the pre and post market clinical trial data is often crappy, problems take years to emerge.

Non implantable devices like Neuromod are inherently safer, on average, obviously. It would still be good if they had mandatory post market surveillance for the first thousand outcomes, say, rather than just the trials funded by the company. Tighter rules would not have stopped a device like Neuromod coming to market. They tightened up the EU rules a bit - new ones come into force in 2020 - but as I understand it it's still not mandatory for all devices to have good trial data published before release to the public.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/25/the-bleeding-edge-netflix-documentary-medical-devices

https://www.icij.org/investigations...-implants-registry-to-improve-patient-safety/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0btjr55

Not trying to create FUD but it's still effectively low-level shock therapy into your brain so the potential impact is more serious than you think. There's reason enough for it to go through the full testing routine.

Not trying to create FUD but it's still effectively low-level shock therapy into your brain so the potential impact is more serious than you think. There's reason enough for it to go through the full testing routine.
Hey I don't think it's not serious, I pointed out earlier in the thread that the Neuromod man in the video is honest enough to talk about some people worsening. I just don't want people to worry about it being potentially as bad as some of the implantable devices that have been in the media lately.

Personally I am not going to be one of the first people trying it.

Last edited:
I find this interesting. I should not be surprised but there are some on here saying FDA approval takes too long and others saying it's not stringent enough and should take more care. Maybe speed and overall testing don't go hand in hand but I still find it interesting to see differing opinions.

I find this interesting. I should not be surprised but there are some on here saying FDA approval takes too long and others saying it's not stringent enough and should take more care. Maybe speed and overall testing don't go hand in hand but I still find it interesting to see differing opinions.
Watch the Bleeding Edge documentary on Netflix for a start and then see what you think.

Watch the Bleeding Edge documentary on Netflix for a start and then see what you think.
My wife was an exec (CAO) at a large private equity medical firm/company. She is no longer in the medical industry. It gave me a unique perspective on how the industry works and how products are brought to market. It also gave me a good understanding how equity firms work similar to Neuromod.

On YouTube there are some more testimonials:

Ronnie Duignan
Edward Molloy
Patrick Kiely
Eugene Molumby
Peter McGurell

You must search for them. I couldn't post the link here. If you listen to those guys the results are more moderate than enthusiastic :( I am disappointed.

None of them reported any reduction in loudness or intensity. I wonder why they uploaded these videos and at the same time don't show them on the Neuromod's webpage.

Just watched all five videos. I felt the same way. These have been up for a month and none of us noticed.

If you watch them none really talk about how much reduction they got, more of the lines of oh I felt I could cope better with the machine. Seems like something somebody would say of a placebo effect from having the reassurance of a company and a gadget.

I am also disappointed.

It seems crap lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now