MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
As EDDTEKK says, they're not overly enthusiastic, but that might be just because they're stoic Irishmen :)

A couple of them said that at the end of the trial they were much less bothered by the tinnitus (by the sounds of things it was 'suppressed' in their mind somehow so that the brain focused on it less, much like habituation). A couple of them said that their tinnitus was much improved. None of them were 'cured' by it, but as one of them put it, even a 2% reduction is a great thing.

On YouTube there are some more testimonials:

None of them reported any reduction in loudness or intensity. I wonder why they uploaded these videos and in same time don't show them on the Neuromods webpage.
Thanks for sharing this! :)

I watched them all, and a couple of them (the first one and fourth one I think) did say that their tinnitus was improved. I assume this would be in either loudness or intensity, probably both.

But I agree, it would have been nice for some more overwhelmingly positive responses.

Ronnie Duignan
  • he is more relaxed about his tinnitus but apparently his tinnitus didn't change at all
Edward Molloy
  • doesn't hear it as much in certain situations
Patrick Kiely
  • I think his tinnitus didn't change at all but he said he can cope better mentally...
Eugene Molumby
  • tinnitus started only four or five months ago (?)
  • tinnitus is much improved (whatever that means, doesn't mention loudness, could be natural improvement, video cuts off right after that)
Peter McGurell
  • can't hear it as much anymore when going for a walk
  • doesn't hear it as much

Sweet Jesus. This guy has killed it. A 2% reduction and having someone nice to call up for support?! Is he for real?!? I would rather go for a 100% reduction, stick a gun in my mouth and fuck the support off for good.
Yes, that one was a bit naff. I doubt the Neuromod team will be on call for the rest of us, if we ever get our hands on this thing!

Sweet Jesus. This guy has killed it. A 2% reduction and having someone nice to call up for support?! Is he for real?!? I would rather go for a 100% reduction, stick a gun in my mouth and fuck the support off for good.
Agreed, that Elmer Fudd looking motherfucker does not make me want a Neuromod.

Here we were thinking this was the real deal.

People with mild tinnitus thinking they were gonna be cured completely.

People with severe tinnitus thinking they were gonna get massive drops in volume.

People stating only 20% won't respond and 80% will.

I did say this, when results are given by makers of the developers of a device they'll make it sound like the best thing yet.

If I don't laugh I'll cry.

The warning signs are all in the videos - it's not as good as some of us had hoped.

Hmm, I'd like to know how Edward, Peter, Patrick and Eugene got their tinnitus.
Watching their testimonials I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be able to adequately articulate it even if they did know. Understandable Neuromod hid this shit on YouTube rather than putting it on their website.

Watching their testimonials I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be able to adequately articulate it even if they did know. Understandable Neuromod hid this shit on YouTube rather than putting it on their website.
Hiding it on YouTube? I am not sure I would use YouTube to hide anything...

Hiding it on YouTube? I am not sure I would use YouTube to hide anything...
They didn't want to be accused of hiding the shit testimonials. So oh okay we'll just pop them on YouTube and only publicise the other ones through our Twitter and website. Fuckers. I think we now know how much we can trust these cowboys.

It is rather meh and I am a bit disappointed. Maybe Neuromod should have reached out to @Clare B for a testimonial. We still know this does work or at least help with Clare and kelpie. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Neuromod is really blowing this one... They had all the hype after their Q&A and now they have yet to release the device and now this. Their PR really needs some work.

Maybe they just wanted to cover a 'spectrum' of different responses to the treatment? For instance, the first guy didn't seem to have a change in the actual tinnitus, but he described it as a 'massive improvement', so something must have changed...

Maybe he was describing a change in intensity rather than volume...

Personally I will wait for the results from the test groups. I am not going to over-react as I saw these videos before.

I could be all angry and read into it but it's not going to do me any good.

I do find it interesting that the people with no major changes seem to be slightly older. I am wondering as if you age it is harder for the brain to change for neuroplasticity to work? I am only observing this through the videos and also @Clare B stated that she talked to a couple others on the trial and it didn't really help them and that they were older too.

Also, stress plays a big part in this. If you look at the University of Minnesota trial stress plays a major factor on the success of this type of treatment.

I dunno... testimonials are supposed to make you want a product and gravitate into the thought of purchasing it and these ones are not having my hand out, ready with a wad of cash.

I do find it interesting that the people with no major changes seem to be slightly older. I am wondering as if you age it is harder for the brain to change for neuroplasticity to work?
I didn't want to seem ageist, but yeah. It'd be interesting to see how the success is spread across age and time of suffering from tinnitus.

Joking or serious?
Serious. We don't do much though. Last year we got funding of £15 and 72 pence. We were able to buy a couple of white coats for a couple of the lab guys that work here. The rest went on a jar of coffee.

Joking aside @Jack Straw thanks for your work on the podcasts. Accent is amazing. Would love to be a part of one in the future. I have kept up with tinnitus research so I feel I owe it to the community to do something.

Maybe they just wanted to cover a 'spectrum' of different responses to the treatment? For instance, the first guy didn't seem to have a change in the actual tinnitus, but he described it as a 'massive improvement', so something must have changed...

Maybe he was describing a change in intensity rather than volume...
With risk of sounding like an elitist, I think a lot of people are just lacking communicative skills to describe to others and even to themselves what exactly is going on physically and mentally around tinnitus. Hell, I have a Master's degree in communication science and after 18 years of tinnitus I'm still trying to distinguish between what is a psychological vs a physiological event when it comes to my own tinnitus. Especially since both of these things overlap and sometimes undergo change over an extended period of time like weeks and months. I think I have a pretty good grasp of it, but half of the time I'm still guessing.

An improvement can be anything from a change in pitch or sound character, a lowering of phonophobia, a lowering of hyperacusis, an actual lowering of tone volume, habituation that leads to a perceived lowering of volume or perceived change in tone, which in turn can lead to better understanding of speech in noise environments, and so on. There is an endless combination of factors that I think even a scientific study can only begin to try and understand. And then on top of everything you have the subjective aspect which makes all the raw data more or less useless in regards to the level of the individual suffering anyways.

In short - without giving Neuromod a pass or a fail - it's a shit show.

Last edited:
I didn't want to seem ageist, but yeah. It'd be interesting to see how the success is spread across age and time of suffering from tinnitus.
Correct, I don't want to be ageist either. It is just something I have observed. It may also just be a coincidence. I am no spring chicken at 40 either. :(

Maybe if you're too far gone into your time with tinnitus, they can't stop your brain from naturally producing the sound, because it has already become your normal for so many years that it's no longer a disturbance and instead something your brain is unable to let go/refusing to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now