MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled this from some research online. Again, not to be an ageist it is just an observation that it seems the older you are the less neuroplasticity works. I think you are probably fine in your 50s and below but, only a guess, it may not work as well after 60 or so. The testimonials kind of show that. I will keep researching, but I guess we don't know until we see some results or studies.
Clare B also talked about how the older patients didn't get as much relief!

But the two people talking about improvements didn't mention volume/loudness at all, one said his tinnitus didn't change at all and the other had tinnitus only for 4-5 months, so it could very well be natural improvement.

And being able to cope better mentally, though the tinnitus wasn't changed at all, is not a success story for me. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a device for that. If the tinnitus didn't change at all, that's not a success, that should be part of the 20% failure rate.

I'm still going to buy a device and test it out but these five videos didn't encourage me.
  • Two people said their tinnitus didn't change but they can cope better mentally (not a success for me)
  • Two people said they can hear it less but didn't mention loudness/volume (placebo?)
  • One person had "major improvements" but he only had tinnitus for 4-5 months and didn't mention what he meant by it (natural improvement?)
What surprises me more is why they chose to upload these testimonies on YouTube and not the ones like for example @Clare B's who is totally free of tinnitus after using the device? I don't really understand this way of advertising from Neuromod, is it to not get our hopes up too much? If I was the CEO of a company like this I would definitely show the patients with the best outcomes...

If there really is a link between neuroplasticity and age, then it would explain why Clare said the older patients didn't get much relief and explain why the older patients from the testimonials didn't get as good results.

This might have better odds of helping the younger you are.

What surprises me more is why they chose to upload these testimonies on YouTube and not the ones like for example @Clare B's who is totally free of tinnitus after using the device? I don't really understand this way of advertising from Neuromod, is it to not get our hopes up too much? If I was the CEO of a company like this I would definitely show the patients with the best outcomes...
But then if it didn't work for some, they would say it is false advertising and could face a potential lawsuit.

I'm confused. Isn't it a good thing that they're not overpromising? There are cases with better results (one who posted on this forum) that Neuromod didn't use for promotion. Why would you want them to misrepresent the range of outcomes by only choosing the best?

I'll take reality over a few months of "hope" when it comes to shelling out thousands of dollars.

I agree. I have no idea how these videos came about like they are, because it's just weird. But the footage and audio looks very good, so I'm sure they must have hired a production company, which makes this even weirder. If a bunch of lab nerds tried to do a video production of testimonials I would understand if it would be cringe and out of touch, but with a high technical production value like this, I have no idea what's going on.

It is somewhat mystifying but whatever the reason this does leave Tinnitus Talk members rather better informed about the Neuromod device than before. This looks to be primarily a habituation device with maybe a few lucky participants in the trial achieving more.

It is somewhat mystifying but whatever the reason this does leave Tinnitus Talk members rather better informed about the Neuromod device than before. This looks to be primarily a habituation device with maybe a few lucky participants in the trial achieving more.
This is definitely not a habituation device :banghead:

If there really is a link between neuroplasticity and age, then it would explain why Clare said the older patients didn't get much relief and explain why the older patients from the testimonials didn't get as good results.

This might have better odds of helping the younger you are.
And yet the woman in her 60s on the website testimonial apparently got cured... It seems all we can do is wait, throw a load of money at it and hope like hell. It's looking like a 20% chance it will help a bit taking into account the 10 or so testimonials we've seen. But this is a long way from a cure so unfortunately suicide is still the only alternative we have to living in permanent noise... Which kind of sucks.

Now we are marginalizing this product based on eight or ten videos that have surfaced. It has been tested on 700 people. Sure without study data being released this was bound to happen, but this is the exact reason small studies don't have credibility. Apart from a handful of videos and stories from a guy who knew a guy who had a third cousin who was in the trial we have no reason to come to conclusions like this. I'm as negative and doom and gloom as a person can possibly be. Even I can't spin my mind into negative conclusions like this yet.

• Two people said their tinnitus didn't change but they can cope better mentally (not a success for me)
  • Two people said they can hear it less but didn't mention loudness/volume (placebo?)
  • One person had "major improvements" but he only had tinnitus for 4-5 months and didn't mention what he meant by it (natural improvement?)
Check out this as ever very succinct summary from @Autumnly.

Which part of that isn't about habituation @Jack Straw?

Speculation has run so high it's like Tinnitus Talk members already know more than Neuromod. Like if you're old you're not going to respond. Neuromod have been bought out. It's a habituation device. The list is endless.

As long as we all know that speculation is not fact and can distinguish the facts from the speculation. It keeps this thread alive because really we don't have anything else to go by on yet.

So if anybody's disheartened by comments remember that a majority of it is just that. Speculation at this point.

Anyway, enjoying the speculation and debates. I am somewhat suspicious Neuromod are too.

Anyway, enjoying the speculation and debates. I am somewhat suspicious Neuromod are too.
Hubert is enjoying none of this. He's fully aware that he's either going to be deluged in @Paulmanlike knickers or whacked by a disgruntled nutbar... who goes by the name of Bam. :eek:

Either way he's gonna be running back to Minnesota to warn them against even trying to cure us f***ing crazies.

And yet the woman in her 60s on the website testimonial apparently got cured... It seems all we can do is wait, throw a load of money at it and hope like hell. It's looking like a 20% chance it will help a bit taking into account the 10 or so testimonials we've seen. But this is a long way from a cure so unfortunately suicide is still the only alternative we have to living in permanent noise... Which kind of sucks.
So Neuromod is saying it helped 80% of the trial participants and you are saying it will help 20% based on what you've seen in this thread. Pretty big difference there.

So Neuromod is saying it helped 80% of the trial participants and you are saying it will help 20% based on what you've seen in this thread. Pretty big difference there.
Just going off the testimonials. As @Autumnly concisely broke down only about 20% of them seemed to have some form of actual improvement in terms of volume. The rest of it was woeful wishy washy nonsense that as @david c pointed out reeked of habituation crap.

Look man I will eat humble pie if Neuromod's 80% is actually born out in real life and I will be hugely grateful if they help me. But let's be be honest this is a company who won't even respond to any of us and have made zero statements to the media about what they have achieved. Why?! Why have they kept it all so tinnitus and audiologist centric with these fucking conferences and industry bullshit.

Why don't they make some bold claims to mainstream media about having a proper tinnitus treatment and then God forbid actually release this thing to the worst sufferers who desperately need it, if it actually works so well?! And there's the rub...

Because if it's shit and we hear more, 'oh I think I got like a 2% improvement in intensity' then the game is up. We're no fools and we'll rumble this bullshit quick smart and send this crap to the boneyard of Levo, Tonaki and Jastreboff......RIP fucking assholes.

Maybe they put those videos on YouTube to balance the expectation somewhat. They know that by posting them that the community would eventually see them, so maybe they believe that by showing some of the cases that didn't have the greatest outcome gives them more integrity. Most companies by now would be feeding you nothing but positive outcomes and saying how amazing it is to build up some hype. They aren't doing this so I'm guessing they want to manage expectations by being as honest as possible. Those videos don't tell us anything that we don't already know; we know that it hasn't got a 100% success rate and surely nobody expected that with the great heterogeneity of tinnitus.

There are just too many variables at play to expect everyone to say they had a world class outcome. Maybe it's a good thing they did post those videos to reign you all in a bit so people don't get carried away. And don't forget, this is only a tiny tiny fraction of all those who participated in the trial.

My opinion is neutral and I don't think we can speculate either way until it's released into the world. Those videos don't sway my view whatsoever; they're just showing me what I already know (logically speaking, those testimonies were always going to be an inevitable outcome for some of the participants). Also, remember that this is not being marketed as a cure but as a treatment.

I mean if they used 10 cases like Clare and the lady in the video whose tinnitus went away, that'd misrepresent what this is. Then you'd buy it, be disappointed, and write negative reviews on forums.

This isn't a cure and was never suggested to be one. But it may help a lot of people.

I don't think I've ever seen a more ham-handed approach to PR than what Neuromod has been doing over the past 6 months. First telling us it will be released in January. Then making no mention of that as January comes and goes. Now posting lackluster videos that apparently contradict the findings of the study.

What the hell are they thinking?

This is bimodal stimulation at its finest, they are simultaneously stimulating both our positive and negative expectations.

Dear Alice,

Thank you for your enquiry about the Neuromod treatment. At this time the treatment is not available outside of clinical trials. We are working hard to make the treatment available as soon as possible. To be kept informed about product availability in your region please sign up to our mailing list at https://www.neuromoddevices.com/signup

The instructions for use and contraindications will form part of the labelling that will be approved by regulatory authorities in each region. Once the product is approved for use in your region, your healthcare professional will be trained on the appropriate use of the device. The decision to recommend and fit the treatment for each individual patient will be based on the healthcare professional's clinical opinion. Your healthcare professional will assess your Eustachian tube problems and full medical history before determining whether they believe that they should recommend the treatment for you.. Unfortunately Neuromod cannot provide you with any guidance or assurances at this time that your healthcare professional will recommend the device for you.

Thank you again for your interest

With best wishes

The Neuromod team

This is bimodal stimulation at its finest, they are simultaneously stimulating both our positive and negative expectations.
Rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now