MuteButton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I invite you to be wary of this device. It is not rented. There is no scientific evidence on its operation or mechanism of action. 0 articles on PubMed, Cochrane or neuroscience. 0 clinical trials. 0 of 0. Only advertising of newspapers and some fanciful demo video on youtube...

I invite you to be wary of this device. It is not rented. There is no scientific evidence on its operation or mechanism of action. 0 articles on PubMed, Cochrane or neuroscience. 0 clinical trials. 0 of 0. Only advertising of newspapers and some fanciful demo video on youtube...

I think u are right, you just put a slightly up teched VIB in ur mouth

Conceptually this seems pretty similar to the VNS devices; I like the idea of not having to have a permanent implant...

No it is not. VNS has proven to direct neural plasticity if combined with a stimulus.VNS releases neuro modulators in the brain. If paired with a stimulus this results in the brain allocating more neurons to attend to that stimulus. Although the mechanism of action is not fully understood the effect is documented very well.

As for MuteButton....i really hope it works, but please back it up with some real research!

I have posted it in this thread already some time ago, but for all the people that mistrust this device you should check out `the brain that changes itself` documentary. It shows a device that also uses electrical impulses on the tongue to change the brain ... with great succes! ... and it was this one that put these scientists to try it for tinnitus ... and on a side note ... please keep all personal non scientific opions about if something will work or not to yourself ... it doesn`t help this forum in any way, we can only speculate and try to be as objective in our posts as possible untill you actually use the thing and experience it for yourself. untill than, keep quiet!

I have posted it in this thread already some time ago, but for all the people that mistrust this device you should check out `the brain that changes itself` documentary. It shows a device that also uses electrical impulses on the tongue to change the brain ... with great succes! ... and it was this one that put these scientists to try it for tinnitus ... and on a side note ... please keep all personal non scientific opions about if something will work or not to yourself ... it doesn`t help this forum in any way, we can only speculate and try to be as objective in our posts as possible untill you actually use the thing and experience it for yourself. untill than, keep quiet!

I hope it works. What they aim to do is give the neurons a different task. My problem is that most of it seems to be anecdotal evidence. Vagus nerve stimulation did an open trial on humans in Belgium. That is a far more invasive treatment compared to the MuteButton therapy. For that reason alone it must be much easier to get human trials.....but guess what....If have not seen anything...nada nopes...kind of weird...?!

It might make sense for them to be secretive about details and trials until they have permission to launch in more countries for copyright / commercial reasons. They just launched in Ireland and are planning Europe and US in 2015 / 2016.

where did they get that sentence from ? it's used twice in the article, kind of weird :)

When studying the mutebutton lets say 'press release info' it seems they recommend using the device 30 mins daily preferably early in the morning.

But to remain objectively it's absolutely a big clue to me what kind of horrible PR Marketing they do as they can't come across clear. Or worse they are framing everything it will be a somehow better Tinnilasertool or whatever kind of electronic junk

@Markku

Hi Markku,

I received a mail today from Neuromod devices about their new Mutebutton Device.

They claim the following:

What benefit can I expect?

Using the device for 30 minutes a day, after 10 weeks of use, clinicial study patients experienced a mean minimum masking level reduction of 8.6 dB (which equates to a 42% decrease in tinnitus loudness). We therefore recommend patients use the device for 30 minutes a day for a minimum of 10 weeks.

How are they allowed to claim this bearing in mind they have published zero efficacy results from any trial whatsoever.

I have the email if you want me to forward it on to you? Maybe we can ask them this question on behalf of TT?

They are selling this device based on results which have not been published /Independently verified. They have some guts.

Cheers

R

@RCP1, I'll contact you.

I emailed him about the clinical results:
their answer is:

Many thanks for your email.
Following the initial launch of the mutebutton device in Ireland on Thursday 11th Dec we have been inundated with an abundance of emails and calls regarding purchase of the device. The mutebutton device is now available to purchase online in Ireland from Mon 15th Dec, in the UK including Scotland from February 2015 and we anticipate rolling out to the rest of Europe over the forthcoming months. We have plans to seek FDA approval and hopefully launch in US in due course.
Details regarding purchase and fitting of device as well as patient testimonials are available via the website www.mutebutton.ie. If you are interested in a tinnitus consultation only, this appointment can also be booked online. Cost of the mutebutton is 2,500 euros and consultation only is 100 euros.
You will receive confirmation from The Neuromod Clinic in Dublin regarding your clinic appointment no later than close of business on the next available working day (Mon-Fri). Contact details for the clinic; contact@theneuromodclinic.com. We hope in due course to partner with clinicians in Ireland, however initially The Neuromod Clinic in Dublin, Ireland is the only clinic authorised to fit and configure the mutebutton device.
We currently have no plans to run further clinical studies. Results from our previous clinical studies will be available soon via the mutebutton website.

Mutebutton Customer Service Team

Neuromod Devices

tel: 00353 (0)1 7163640

web: www.neuromoddevices.com/ www.mutebutton.ie

@RCP1 and others, this is the reply I got:

Dear Markku,

Many thanks for your email and query.

Our papers are based on the clinical research of Dr. Ross O Neill, CEO in Neuromod Devices.

The papers are currently being reviewed at the moment and following publication, they will be available via the website.

Unfortunately, we are restricted from publishing the information until they are accepted. We expect publication towards the end of March.

We have no plans to run any further studies at the moment. We may possibly, in due course and this information will be available via the website.

Oh, it's only 2500 euros! How much retigabine can I get for that sum?

They have a 28 Days return policy
"PRODUCT RETURN WITHIN 28 DAYS OF PURCHASE

For any reason whatsoever within 28 days of purchasing the product, PROVIDED you contact us within 28 days of receipt and provide us with the serial number of the device and a return goods form (which we will send you) signed by you, we will credit you with a full refund (excluding any shipping costs and consultation fees)."

also if it works as they say reduction of 42%, I think the side effects of Mutebutton would be negligible comparing to RTG

@Mo_Mo Sounds fair, but you have to use it for a minimum of 10 weeks to see results....I quote;

Using the device for 30 minutes a day, after 10 weeks of use, clinicial study patients experienced a mean minimum masking level reduction of 8.6 dB (which equates to a 42% decrease in tinnitus loudness). We therefore recommend patients use the device for 30 minutes a day for a minimum of 10 weeks.

Personally I believe they don't want to release any studies or a lot of details publically is that they are waiting for the FDA approval.
Any other company may be able to reverse engineer it and apply for the approvals at the same time, hence they want to finalise the approvals and be a further step ahead in the game before publicising detailed information which might open competitors eyes.

upload_2015-2-5_13-5-44.png

By whom the informations will be accepted ?

@preslys I assume their findings will be peer reviewed before publication, by whom, I have no idea.

I haven't closely followed this thread as it sounded like another expensive box of electronic nonsense, but it appears to be using a sensory distraction technique, not unlike the principle of using white noise generators to train the brain away from focussing on tinnitus.

honestly, if this really works, and you make it affordable ... you will get your money back in no time ... the fact that it is so expensive makes me wonder if they just want to make fast bucks asap to satisfy their investors. It`s a dumb move.. I never understand people that ask more money because when you ask less more people will buy ..... greed is truly unintelligent!

honestly, if this really works, and you make it affordable ... you will get your money back in no time ... the fact that it is so expensive makes me wonder if they just want to make fast bucks asap to satisfy their investors. It`s a dumb move.. I never understand people that ask more money because when you ask less more people will buy ..... greed is truly unintelligent!

well the weird thing is that this device has been in development at least since 2011 ? They will need lots of buyers to compensate for all that R&D

The tinnitus treatment market is almost infinite. If they had a worthy, scientifically proven treatment they could charge a realistic figure to patients as @nills stated. Word would spread like wildfire from happy patients and the MuteButton would be in demand for years.

I doubt if they have more than a handful of boffins working on the development of this device.

It appears to me, tinnitus treatment is a rich man's luxury. Which it should never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now