• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

NeuroMed Tinnitus Program — Founded by Dr. Hamid Djalilian

I believe food can trigger tinnitus, but when it comes to alcohol, I've noticed that my tinnitus worsens depending on the type of wine. This makes me think that it might not be the alcohol itself causing the issue, but rather the preservatives used in the wine.

"It is hypothesized that in individuals with sulfite intolerance, elevated serum sulfite levels inhibit enzymes related to the synthesis or activation of neurotransmitters active in the nucleus accumbens, resulting in tinnitus."

In my experience, eating a lot of unsalted peanuts can also cause my tinnitus to worsen.

These medications were unproven and part of his current clinical trial at the time. I chose not to take them because, even now, there is no evidence that they reduce tinnitus.

While he and his team are undoubtedly knowledgeable about tinnitus and are working hard to find a solution, the fact remains: there is no scientific support for this treatment protocol as a cure for tinnitus today.
The main point is whether the pathway and the combined effect of the supplements or medications work. Evaluating each supplement or medication separately misses this point entirely. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the published studies because of their small sample sizes and lack of placebo control.

The graphs presented during the webinar are from the most recent trial, which did include a placebo, but this study has not yet been published. However, the sample sizes are still too small for me to be fully convinced. Additionally, key questions remain: How many participants were recruited, and how many dropped out? Researchers sometimes have a bad habit of omitting this crucial information.

I saw Dr. Djalilian in person in late August, and he put me on his Migraine Trigger Avoidance Diet, which I started on September 1. I'm also taking most of the supplements he recommended.

My tinnitus follows a weekly pattern, fluctuating from a moderate to sometimes severe, very annoying tonal ring/whine (7), and then gradually lowering over the week to a mild to moderate hissing (5), which I can pretty easily ignore. I've been on the diet for a month now, but unfortunately, I haven't noticed any change in the pattern. I still experience a couple of bad days each week, which is very disappointing.

I'm going to continue with the full 60-day diet and then try some of the migraine medication he plans to prescribe to see if that makes any difference.

I will be starting it soon and will report back on my results once the program is complete. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, as I've had many in-depth discussions with them.
Will you try the full program, with the migraine medications and all? I'd be interested to know what they prescribe you in your specific case.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now