• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Neurotrophin 3 Regenerates Cochlear Synapses

Any success with Niagen? I'm using Astaxanthin for almost 5 months now, without any improvement in my hidden hearing loss and hyperacusis (not permanent tinnitus yet).
Nothing to both. Tried Noopept, too, but it had no effect (or maybe I developed visual snow on it, unsure, because it only appears at night, but it's very strong then. This coincided with my second trauma (MRI), so it could just be that).

You should be cured by now :D there's no excuse.
None of them stopped me from having the MRI... Lol. Before that I had the 'only in a quiet room' tinnitus and some distortions. Sometimes the high frequency one would be audible over noise, but it was rare. Now it rages over everything and the distortions come from most sounds.

None of them stopped me from having the MRI... Lol. Before that I had the 'only in a quiet room' tinnitus and some distortions. Sometimes the high frequency one would be audible over noise, but it was rare. Now it rages over everything and the distortions come from most sounds.
They didn't stop it because they prefer you to be alive with a louder tinnitus, than not having the exam and have something seriously wrong in your brain.

I have to do an MRI.

Did you wear double hearing protection and was it a 1.5 Tesla or 3 Tesla MRI?

Did you wear double hearing protection and was it a 1.5 Tesla or 3 Tesla MRI?
3 T with foam earplugs and foam pads on the ears. Earmuffs did not fit into the head enclosure, that was weird. I also had trouble putting the foam earplugs in (narrow ear canals).

3 T with foam earplugs and foam pads on the ears. Earmuffs did not fit into the head enclosure, that was weird. I also had trouble putting the foam earplugs in (narrow ear canals).
And yet you decided to continue, it looks like you were exposed to 115 dB without hearing protection for 30 minutes. :(

And yet you decided to continue, it looks like you were exposed to 115 dB without hearing protection for 30 minutes. :(
It was insufficient protection, the plugs were in, but I can never insert them fully, they always stick out. The pads had some attenuation, too. It did not seem too loud when I was in there.

it looks like tinnitus can never be cured.
Not really.

Seems like certain solutions for regenerating hair cells/cochlea repair are inevitable at this point, so that's more of a when and not an if. But realistically, it could be decades away...

Whether it has an effect on tinnitus or not, we don't know yet.

Not really.

Seems like certain solutions for regenerating hair cells/cochlea repair are inevitable at this point, so that's more of a when and not an if. But realistically, it could be decades away...

Whether it has an effect on tinnitus or not, we don't know yet.
The article also talks about destroyed synapses. You need to connect the hair cell to the nerve. This requires new synapses.

The article also talks about destroyed synapses. You need to connect the hair cell to the nerve. This requires new synapses.
Yes, this is a part of cochlea repair. There are several companies trying to get drugs to market for this particular issue. There are also many scientists around the world researching the ear to get a better understanding of these things.

But to be honest, we don't know if this will solve tinnitus at all. Seems like there is very little push to solve the tinnitus issue in itself, but a lot to help hearing loss at least.

There are several companies trying to get drugs to market for this particular issue. There are also many scientists around the world researching the ear to get a better understanding of these things.
What is special today? 5-10 years ago there was also research and development. Why aren't today's events fraudulent?

Anyone ever try Forskolin for this?

Histamine-neurotrophin-3 interactions in cultured rat astrocytes

"Different activators of basic intracellular histamine receptor second messenger systems (forskolin, dibutyryl cAMP, dBcAMP; as well as calcimycin, i.e. Ca2+ ionophore A23187) and phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate, TPA) markedly increase the cellular level of NT-3 protein."

Anonymous said:

I'm also a member of Tinnitus Talk, though I mostly lurk and haven't posted yet.

I'm based in Boston, MA, here in the US. My audiologist is Dr. Stéphane Maison, who published the article in "New Scientist" and is part of the Harvard team researching hearing regeneration and measuring hidden hearing loss.

Dr. Maison also has tinnitus in one ear and mentioned to me that they are confident NT-3 could restore hearing and eliminate tinnitus.

I directly asked him when this would be available, and he said it would definitely happen in my lifetime. When I inquired about obstacles, he cited funding and government regulations. He mentioned that NT-3 is ready and currently stockpiled in warehouses, awaiting further action.

Anonymous said:

I'm also a member of Tinnitus Talk, though I mostly lurk and haven't posted yet.

I'm based in Boston, MA, here in the US. My audiologist is Dr. Stéphane Maison, who published the article in "New Scientist" and is part of the Harvard team researching hearing regeneration and measuring hidden hearing loss.

Dr. Maison also has tinnitus in one ear and mentioned to me that they are confident NT-3 could restore hearing and eliminate tinnitus.

I directly asked him when this would be available, and he said it would definitely happen in my lifetime. When I inquired about obstacles, he cited funding and government regulations. He mentioned that NT-3 is ready and currently stockpiled in warehouses, awaiting further action.
So another treatment is sitting in a closet somewhere collecting dust while we suffer. If they need money, let's raise funds.

I don't see this audiologist on the Tinnitus Quest Board.

Anonymous said:

This is definitely the sort of thing that Tinnitus Quest was made for. Thanks for sharing this information.

Anonymous said:

Awaiting further action? LOL, I have a seaside resort to sell you in the Swiss Alps. I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that that action will never come. The government and Big Medicine do NOT want you to get better. They would rather throw useless plastic bones at desperate, starving dogs than actually feed them.

Always remember: a cured patient is a lost customer. They want your money. They don't really care about your health. Once you understand that, it all falls into place. Hence, it is a very good reason for suicide, why I've made the plans I have, and why I will not be hesitating when the time comes. Euthanasia is a human right that is imperative if one cannot heal and is, therefore, unable to live life on one's terms.

People who do NOT suffer from auditory/vestibular disorders better hope they never get these health problems because I have only a few words for them if they do: be prepared for a lifetime of suffering and anguish, and please don't believe what is said or told because most of it transpires as worthless even if it does come to pass.

Anonymous said:

I also am in the Boston area and am going to see Dr. Maison in January. He takes forever to get into! I hope he's worth it.

I also am in the Boston area and am going to see Dr. Maison in January. He takes forever to get into! I hope he's worth it.
Let's stay close, man. I see Dr. Maison on 8/26 and am flying to Boston from Austin to see him and get into the Mass Eye and Ear system in the event they're the ones that cure hearing loss, tinnitus, or hyperacusis.
Awaiting further action? LOL, I have a seaside resort to sell you in the Swiss Alps. I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that that action will never come. The government and Big Medicine do NOT want you to get better. They would rather throw useless plastic bones at desperate, starving dogs than actually feed them.

Always remember: a cured patient is a lost customer. They want your money. They don't really care about your health. Once you understand that, it all falls into place. Hence, it is a very good reason for suicide, why I've made the plans I have, and why I will not be hesitating when the time comes. Euthanasia is a human right that is imperative if one cannot heal and is, therefore, unable to live life on one's terms.

People who do NOT suffer from auditory/vestibular disorders better hope they never get these health problems because I have only a few words for them if they do: be prepared for a lifetime of suffering and anguish, and please don't believe what is said or told because most of it transpires as worthless even if it does come to pass.
I don't know if I'm as pessimistic about hearing loss and big pharma. Just formulate a drug that I have to take every day to suppress my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I'll gladly take that drug for life and be your customer.

What I'm more concerned about is the practice of audiology in the US, just slinging hearing aids endlessly like they're the cure-all we need. It costs, on average, nearly $5K USD for hearing aids, and that doesn't include appointments for fittings and adjustments. There's no guarantee hearing aids will even help tinnitus via TRT/masking mechanisms.

There's a long list of lobbyists and other interested actors that want to see to it that this model of hearing aid distributorship is never disrupted.

What I'm more concerned about is the practice of audiology in the US, just slinging hearing aids endlessly like they're the cure-all we need. It costs, on average, nearly $5K USD for hearing aids, and that doesn't include appointments for fittings and adjustments. There's no guarantee hearing aids will even help tinnitus via TRT/masking mechanisms.

There's a long list of lobbyists and other interested actors that want to see to it that this model of hearing aid distributorship is never disrupted.
There's no guarantee that hearing aids will even help improve your hearing. I have hearing loss and found hearing aids completely useless. At the end of the day, they are just fancy amplifiers, and if your hearing damage causes distortion, diplacusis, or loss of clarity, they won't be of much help. I have moderately severe to moderate low-frequency loss, and during my last audiology appointment, the audiologist agreed that hearing aids probably wouldn't be able to help me.

In my opinion, the idea that the hearing aid industry is standing in the way of a cure—or paying to ensure one doesn't emerge—is a very real possibility.

Anonymous said:

Dr. Stéphane Maison, who published the article in "New Scientist" and is part of the Harvard team researching hearing regeneration and measuring hidden hearing loss.

He mentioned that NT-3 is ready and currently stockpiled in warehouses, awaiting further action.
Why does Dr. Maison have tinnitus if he can access a 'cure'?

I don't buy this.

Who said he didn't?

Is he (Dr. Maison) part of the team that developed NT-3, the apparent "cure"?
As the old adage says, "don't get high on your own supply." Surely, this also applies to the medical world.

Jokes aside, medical ethics and professional objectivity would likely prevent a doctor from self-treating new drugs.

As the old adage says, "don't get high on your own supply." Surely, this also applies to the medical world.

Jokes aside, medical ethics and professional objectivity would likely prevent a doctor from self-treating new drugs.
I imagine their drug supply for testing is closely monitored and regulated, as you mentioned. If it were discovered that he took one and injected himself, it would likely harm both his team and himself. It could also potentially delay the release of the drug.

I imagine their drug supply for testing is closely monitored and regulated, as you mentioned. If it were discovered that he took one and injected himself, it would likely harm both his team and himself. It could also potentially delay the release of the drug.
Yes, this is right. I remember the developer of NHPN-1010 said the same thing.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now