• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Noise-Induced Tinnitus — 5 Gigs Since Spike — Not Getting Worse

all of these guys are preaching caution to you, and they are quite right to do so - but they probably do not know the fantastic BUZZ of being a real music maker

Well said @Jazzer

Although I am not a music maker I am an Audiophile and know that music can be very uplifting and therapeutic to the soul. I missed listening to music replayed through my audio system for two years after my second noise trauma, as I just couldn't enjoy it due to the severity of my tinnitus. Anyone reading this post that is a True Audiophile, knows what I mean when I say my system has synergy or Audio Nirvana which is another term audiophiles use.

It is when the music sounds so good looking at the speakers they will completely disappear, and all one hears is the music. A sound stage will be created that has: Width, height and depth to the music. Within the soundstage one will easily be able to tell, where the musicians where placed in the recording. There will be a clear demarcation between instruments, which has to be heard to be believed. The listener will be transported into another realm (metaphorically speaking). The hairs on the arms and back of the neck will be raised and you'll feel the buzz, to use your words. Unless one has an audio system of such quality, that can create synergy they will have no idea what I'm talking about.

As I was unable to listen to my HI-FI I bought a Bose Wave music system. Anyone that knows about this marvellous piece of equipment, also knows that it can reply music in very high quality, that is similar to good Audio system, in miniature form. It served me well and I still use it.

Whether one creates music or listens to it they will be able to benefit from both experiences. Alas, loud music and Noise induced tinnitus, is often not so beneficial. One thing is for certain, anyone that finds their tinnitus is adversely affected by playing music in a band or listens to music through headphones and persists, will make it worse and it's unlikely to get better.

Michael

I blame the creator!

(I don't really.
I have severe reservations on whether such a being actually exists.
Let's call it a design fault.)

Nope... Not for everyone at least. My Dad is an example, my many friends who have continued in spite of tinnitus, and it not getting worse will say otherwise. And some of them are playing 30+ years.

There seems to be a genetic/other unknown factor that gives some people with hearing loss tinnitus, while others don't get it. It's different for everybody. I have friends that have played hundreds of loud shows without protection, and they don't have tinnitus but most certainly some hearing loss. It's not fair, and in my opinion one cannot look at a few people like Chris Martin and draw conclusions about your own ears from that. For every Chris Martin, how many musicians had to quit?

A few years ago I got into a pretty extreme form of yoga. The other people I saw doing it were fine. Myself, I got injury after injury that are likely to be permanent and give me pain for the rest of my life. In the end I realized that I wasn't the odd one out, rather it was the people that COULD do it that were extraordinary physical specimens. And for each one of them, there's probably 10 people like me who simply can't do it. I think this applies to many things like tinnitus.

But the ones that continue are inspiring for sure. Take Grimes for instance. Not only does she continue living as a touring musician, she also does things I never thought anyone with tinnitus could manage. Like spending 2+ hours in a sensory deprivation tank. In short it's a tank that removes all external sounds, light, bodily sensations. Essentially making her tinnitus as intrusive as possible. Crazy ass girl probably gets high before jumping in as well...

As a fellow musician I wish you all the best. My dream is to be able to make music at low volume at home, and one year into my T worsening I don't know if I'll ever be able to. As soon as I got tinnitus I stopped playing shows but that was never my passion anyway.

Taking magnesium, NAC and turmeric before and after every show could be worth looking into. Can't hurt but might help

Hiya
As well as playing clubs and concerts I also did countless functions and events in open air settings entertaining the crowds.
Racecourses: Royal Ascot, Newbury, Brighton, Lingfield, Windsor, etc....
Henley Regatta, Lord Mayor's Show etc...

My trio or quartet would be standing in line (striped blazers, boaters, all that dixieland stuff) and I would try to position myself back from the banjo players velum to reduce the decibel level.
Being an Aspergers arse'ole he screamed at me,
"You keep fucking moving away !!"
He thrashed right in front of me.
Having been a friend of 30 years, fed and slept in my house frequently - he no longer exists in my universe.
Wow. Who'd have thought banjos are capable of producing that much volume? I too had a promising career in music (jazz guitar) cut short by tinnitus. I totally get what you say about being able to play what you want (or choosing not to, to let the music breathe) over the changes, being able to hear, transpose and transcribe by ear. It's a very tough choice, but eventually one that comes down to choosing between life and death for some people, as a worsening would almost certainly mean being unable to cope. I'm still hoping for a cure in my lifetime, but my fellow musicians have moved up several levels since I quit. I'll never be able to make up for lost time should I ever get back to playing.

Wow. Who'd have thought banjos are capable of producing that much volume? I too had a promising career in music (jazz guitar) cut short by tinnitus. I totally get what you say about being able to play what you want (or choosing not to, to let the music breathe) over the changes, being able to hear, transpose and transcribe by ear. It's a very tough choice, but eventually one that comes down to choosing between life and death for some people, as a worsening would almost certainly mean being unable to cope. I'm still hoping for a cure in my lifetime, but my fellow musicians have moved up several levels since I quit. I'll never be able to make up for lost time should I ever get back to playing.
Wow - so sad for us both.
I'll just mention that back in the seventies I was on stage with Barney Kessel, Stephan Grappelli and Teddy Wilson at the Montreux Festival.
Musical gods, all of them.

As to the possibility of a cure?
Personally I do not believe the problem is a lack of funding.
Thousands have been spent already over the years.
Also just look at the income that the CEOs of popular charities rake in.

Neither is it lack of incentive.
Medical research companies know they have struck the mother lode if they ever find a cure.
What we need is another Alexander Fleming (penicillin) or a Louis Pasteur (pasteurisation) to find a chemical breakthrough.
The problem is a lack of concept. Ideas.
Then again the problem is so complex involving stereo cilia fibres, nerve cells, brain receptors etc...
Who knows ??
We can only remain hopeful, at the same time as accepting our current reality.
Best wishes
Dave x

3091DBA4-913E-4E0B-9A20-0335BA36342F.jpeg

Wow - so sad for us both.
I'll just mention that back in the seventies I was on stage with Barney Kessel, Stephan Grappelli and Teddy Wilson at the Montreux Festival.
Musical gods, all of them.

As to the possibility of a cure?
Personally I do not believe the problem is a lack of funding.
Thousands have been spent already over the years.
Also just look at the income that the CEOs of popular charities rake in.

Neither is it lack of incentive.
Medical research companies know they have struck the mother lode if they ever find a cure.
What we need is another Alexander Fleming (penicillin) or a Louis Pasteur (pasteurisation) to find a chemical breakthrough.
The problem is a lack of concept. Ideas.
Then again the problem is so complex involving stereo cilia fibres, nerve cells, brain receptors etc...
Who knows ??
We can only remain hopeful, at the same time as accepting our current reality.
Best wishes
Dave x
That puts you in very good company indeed! Not too familiar with Barney Kessel, but I know he played with Kenny Burrell on some occasions. Kenny's been a big influence on my playing ever since hearing "Midnight Blue".

Stéphane Grappelli is a legend as you say. I heard him on lots of records with Django.
Moving on, I later studied Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass and was working on Pat Martino.
I believe the people working on a cure are sincere and really want to find it, but as for now research is very scattered.

Tinnitus being in the brain doesn't help but maybe just maybe we don't need to solve it in the brain if regenerative medicine helps.

Well Jazz, if it ever comes to that, I hope we will play some standards together on the formal disbanding reception of the Tinnitus Talk community ;)

That puts you in very good company indeed! Not too familiar with Barney Kessel, but I know he played with Kenny Burrell on some occasions. Kenny's been a big influence on my playing ever since hearing "Midnight Blue".

Stéphane Grappelli is a legend as you say. I heard him on lots of records with Django.
Moving on, I later studied Wes Montgomery and Joe Pass and was working on Pat Martino.
I believe the people working on a cure are sincere and really want to find it, but as for now research is very scattered.

Tinnitus being in the brain doesn't help but maybe just maybe we don't need to solve it in the brain if regenerative medicine helps.

Well Jazz, if it ever comes to that, I hope we will play some standards together on the formal disbanding reception of the Tinnitus Talk community ;)
I love the optimistic picture you just conjured up Bart.
With imagination like that you must be a musician. xx
xx

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now