Reformulated Retigabine (Trobalt): BHV-7000, a Kv7.2 Modulator by Biohaven (Pfizer)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by InNeedOfHelp, Nov 14, 2022.

1. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      How common would it be for someone to have damaged potassium channels? I would imagine that is something like stroke or genetic mutations? I mean if someone would have their potassium channels damaged, then Trobalt would not work for epilepsy either. I don’t think that an acoustic trauma can damage potassium channels, same goes for ototoxic drugs because then people would get not only tinnitus but a bunch of other things (and not just one or two, but probably virtually everything that depend on potassium channels would go sideways.)

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Biohaven Presents Expanded EEG and Safety Data for BHV-7000 at the American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting

Summary text:
      • Biohaven reported full results from the BHV-7000 Phase 1 study examining doses up to 120 mg daily, demonstrating BHV-7000 was well-tolerated at all doses studied without the typical central nervous system (CNS) adverse effects associated with other anti-seizure medications (ASMs), such as somnolence and cognitive/mood disturbances.
      • In a Phase 1 electroencephalogram (EEG) biomarker study, BHV-7000 demonstrated dose-dependent target engagement in the brain as measured by changes in EEG spectral power across all brain regions.
      • Additional poster presentations at the American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting will include: BHV-7000 preclinical data, health-related quality of life in patients with focal epilepsy, and functional impairments in patients with KCNQ2‐associated developmental and epileptic encephalopathy (KCNQ2-DEE).
      Presentation Highlights:

Poster 2.510: Novel, Selective Kv7.2/7.3 Potassium Channel Activator, BHV-7000, Demonstrates Dose-Dependent Pharmacodynamic Effects on EEG Parameters in Healthy Adults
      • In this Phase 1 study, pharmacodynamic activity of BHV-7000 in the brain of healthy adults was demonstrated by dose-dependent increases in EEG spectral power.
      • Unlike prior reports where EEG effects of a Kv7.2/7.3 activator showed the greatest power increase in the delta frequency band (Biondi et al. 2022), the highest spectral power increases with BHV-7000 were seen in alpha, beta, and gamma frequency bands.
      • While changes in spectral power were observed across all frequency bands with BHV-7000, the minimal impact on slower frequencies (i.e., delta) is consistent with the low incidence of CNS adverse events, in particular somnolence, seen in the BHV-7000 Phase 1 SAD/MAD studies.
      • EEG delta activity is associated with somnolence, an undesirable CNS adverse event often seen with other ASMs.
      Poster 3.265: A First in Human Phase 1 Study Evaluating the Safety and Tolerability of BHV-7000, a Novel, Selective Kv7.2/7.3 Potassium Channel Activator, in Healthy Adults
      • BHV-7000 was safe and well-tolerated at single doses up to 100 mg and multiple doses up to 120 mg daily for 15 days
      • No serious adverse events or severe treatment emergent adverse events were reported
      • Adverse events typically associated with other ASMs, such as somnolence and cognitive/mood disturbances, were not reported
      Poster 2.249: Characterization of BHV-7000: A Novel Kv7.2/7.3 Activator for the Treatment of Seizures
      • BHV-7000 is a potent activator of Kv7.2/7.3 channels, impacting both deactivation kinetics and voltage dependence of activation
      • BHV-7000 requires the Kv7.2 W236 residue for channel activity
      • No significant activation of the GABAA receptor with BHV-7000
      • BHV-7000 is potent in the maximal electroshock seizure (MES) test without impact on neurobehavior or motor (rotorod) behavior
      Poster 1.487: Determinants of Health-Related Quality of Life of Patients with Focal Epilepsy: A Systematic Literature Review
      • This systematic literature review identified multiple factors associated with lower HRQoL in patients with focal epilepsy
      • Depression and anxiety were among the most significant and frequent determinants of HRQoL change
      • Other relevant and frequent determinants of HRQoL change included cognition, ASM adverse events, seizure freedom, and employment
      • A comprehensive understanding of the modifiable determinants of HRQoL is relevant to patient health and well-being and can inform clinical practice and observational/interventional studies

• Informative Informative x 6
    3. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      From this paper about thalamocortical dysrhythmia:
      From Wikipedia:
      A question to people with a better understanding of what's going on in our damaged brains; can the increase of the alpha activity help us in regards to tinnitus and maybe visual snow syndrome? Are the potassium channel activities and these alpha waves connected in any way? Maybe the restoration of those give increase to alpha waves? Can anyone more knowledgeable enlighten me?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. Anuar Lukios
      Fine

Anuar Lukios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe Headphones
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but some studies have demonstrated that, when a neural injury occurs (for example, due to acoustic trauma), there is a temporary reduction in the activity of Kv7.2/Kv7.3 channels, which can lead neurons to become pathologically active, right?

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      Would this mean if a person recovered after an acoustic trauma that these neurons settled down over time? Or would it mean that the potassium channels recovered?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Anuar Lukios
      Fine

Anuar Lukios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe Headphones
      From what I understand (but I could be mistaken), in some people, there is a spontaneous return of potassium channels to "normal," but for those with chronic tinnitus like us, this doesn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      After a long awaited response, this was Biohaven's response to MyTomorrows regarding my case for expanded access...
      Same info as shared before, but at least they are acknowledging that they are receiving outreach from tinnitus sufferers regarding a clinical trial and expanded access and it's been shared with higher ups. Whether that will do anything remains to be seen, but I hope it's at least the truth.

• Like x 4
      • Helpful x 3
      • Informative x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Friendly x 2
    8. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Characterization of BHV-7000: A Novel Kv7.2/7.3 Activator for the Treatment of Seizures
      I'm having massive brain fog at the moment. Below I posted Retigabine's voltage data from the Gabapentin paper @Nick47 found. Can we make a comparison and say anything regarding whether BHV-7000 is stronger than Retigabine or not?

9. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      OK. Enough. I need a break from Tinnitus Talk. Here's another paper. Apparently the main target for Retigabine wasn't Kv7.2/3. It was Kv7.3 and the paper lists all the half maximal activation potentials of Retigabine, which is higher than BHV-7000's data. I don't know how to read this information, if you have a better understanding, let me know, but I am inclined to think BHV-7000 is weaker than Retigabine now. This paper confirms the data I found in the Gabapentin paper. Retigabine shift in the half-activation voltage of KCNQ2/3 by -30mV, and At 1 µM, BHV-7000 slowed deactivation kinetics from 7.9 ± 1.9 ms to 32.3 ± 6.9 ms and shifted the half-maximal activation potential by -15.2 mV. Maybe it's dose dependent, I don't know. I don't like what I see.

KCNQ3 is the principal target of retigabine in CA1 and subicular excitatory neurons

10. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      My hope in these Kv7.2/3 openers is dwindling. I cannot fathom that if the science is good, none of these companies would trial it for tinnitus.

Before someone jumps out the woodwork and says 'yes but there is no objective test', I would remind you they carried out a trial for depression using XEN1101. There are no objective tests for schizophrenia or chronic pain either. I'm not buying it. They either know it won't be effective or have very low confidence.

For all the science, we need a trial!

• Agree Agree x 5
    11. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Preclinical In Vitro and In Vivo Comparison of the KV 7 Activator XEN1101 with Ezogabine

My OCD got the better of me. Check this out:

XEN1101 has better results in shifting the half-activation voltage of KCNQ7.2/3 channels (-42.5mV). Better than Ezogabine and the disappointing (pathetic) results by BHV-7000.

The only thing left to know is how strong RL-81 is compared to XEN1101 when it comes to voltage activation thresholds. If it's even stronger, then it's worth the wait. If not, XEN1101 looks to be the winner from all this data.
      You are unfortunately correct. They know this drug won't help everyone and the results would be sporadic. That's why they aren't testing it for tinnitus. They won't be able to match FDA's requirements with the results and would be a waste of time and money. They probably know it will be prescribed off-label for tinnitus for sure though.

Even with Retigabine, the results were not one-size-fits-all, I expect the same thing with XEN1101. If the issue is solely Kv7.2/3, XEN1101 should give better and more long lasting results by looking at all this data. And there will be a few super responders who will heal completely/get permanent improvements from this condition, like what happened with Retigabine, and there will be some who won't respond at all.

Similar to VSS/HPPD, the most successful treatment for those conditions is Lamotrigine. But it has a success rate of 20%. Some heal completely. Same with Keppra. For most these drugs don't do anything.

Also, unless we get more data, BHV-7000 is off my radar for now. We need somebody to test XEN1101 on tinnitus patients NOW!

1.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The final piece of the puzzle. I think, based on the attached two papers, RL-81 is either a little stronger or on par with XEN1101.

The table below was taken from this paper which lists the Kv7.2 half-activation voltage data for all compounds. The data matches up with the Kv7.2/3 half-activation voltage data above for the most part.

RL-81 has a Kv7.2 half-activation voltage of -48.1±8.1.

@InNeedOfHelp posted this paper under the XEN1101 thread, which lists similar values for RL-81, BUT it also mentions of an EVEN STRONGER Kv7 opener, by the name of Compound 60. What is Compound 60? Who is developing it?

To sum it up, Compound 60 will the the strongest Kv7 opener (-50 mV), followed by RL-81 (-48.1±8.1 mV or -40mV) and Xen1101 (-42.5 mV). For Retigabine it was -34.3±4.3 mV, and for Gabapentin -9mV. This value for BHV-7000 was listed as -15.2 mV a few posts above, which would make it way inferior to Retigabine.
      upload_2024-1-1_15-49-38.png

jm2c00911_0005.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1