Sound Machines and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Lucia Zuani

Lucia Zuani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      @Michael Leigh, many thanks for this fantastic thread. Although I am still less than a month into this nightmare, I do need to find myself a good sound enrichment machine to try and get better sleep.

I could not find the Sound Oasis models you mentioned for purchase online (I am in the US). Do you happen to know of good options that may exist nowadays?

Thanks!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Lucia Zuani.

Thank you for your kind comments. Sound Oasis sound machines can be bought from their website in the link below. They can also be bought from US Amazon in the link below. The S-680-02 is popular and the one I recommend. Their top model is S-6000 which I have. More than 100 sound combinations can be selected. It comes with a radio and has a host of other features.
      All the best,
      Michael

3. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I have a HoMedics Model SS-2000. I have used it for years, it was around $20 on eBay. It runs on batteries or AC. It's quite small, so it's easy to bring w/ you if you're traveling. The sounds on it are Thunder, Ocean, Brook, Summer Night, Rain and White Noise. I combine it w/ a box fan and it's good enough to cover up almost all my tinnitus.

You can stream things on YouTube too, just put in 'ocean,' 'rain', etc and try out the various ones.

I've used a small window A/C before. It was the best because it had white noise and pink noise. It doesn't need to be on Cool, so the compressor isn't on. When I had it on a nightstand by the head of my bed it was very soothing. You have to try them out before buying though, some are way too quiet.

4. Pixelito
      Surfing

Pixelito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too many Rush concerts
      Since these Sound Oasis devices are not exactly cheap, are there particular sounds that they generate that we can replicate on our smartphones? At the beginning of my onset, I was listening to the sound of insects at night. Or is there something about the Sound Oasis devices that phones can't replicate?

Thank you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The speaker on a smartphone is not ideal because it's considerably smaller than the speaker fitted to a Sound Oasis machine or from another brand of sound machine. It is all about sound quality. If you wish, you can connect your phone to a small external speaker via Bluetooth, and this should suffice.

Best of luck,
      Michael

6. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      There is no magic with the Sound Oasis. It is just a decent speaker with a sound catalog. Any good speaker would do. Pick a sound that you like and do not put the speaker too close. For me sound stimulation during the day was far more important than during the night. Sound stimulation is the key to get your tinnitus under control. It is much more important that you do it than what brand/model you are using. I would keep away from anything close to your ears except for in-ear white noise generators. Most good hearing aids can generate white noise as well today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wish sound enrichment did something for me. It just makes the screeching worse. I've tried every day for the past three years.

8. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      There are many with reactive tinnitus who have said the same.

Have you tried reducing the volume, to an extent, so as not to cause tinnitus worsening?

9. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The only volume that doesn’t is “off”.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi @Pinhead, my heart goes out to you.

What kind of sound enrichment have you been using? I am curious.

Get back when you have time.

Daniel

• Like Like x 1
    11. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Currently, I have tried neuromodulation, white noise, pink noise, violet noise, brown noise, shower noises, birds, rain, and a slew of other 'natural' sounds. None cover it. Violet noise does the best, but when I turn it off, the tinnitus spikes heavily.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      OK, thanks.

What happens when you don't introduce any noise? As in for more than 24 hours?

I am asking, because I don't mask and live with my noise. Sometimes neuroplastic changes can happen without large amounts of sound.

Have you tried a protocol opposite to what you listed?

Last question, apologies...

How do you listen to your sounds? What kind of sound delivery device? Earbuds, hearing aids, etc?

• Good Question Good Question x 1