• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Suicidal

People talk about Lenire and the ear drugs but does any of the researchers or experts talk about whether there is any hope to help severe loud tinnitus sufferers? I will probably be dead but I have a hard time believing anything they have or do will treat LOUD tinnitus.

I don't know why they can't freeze parts of our brain or use laser or locate the neurons firing or something. Supposedly drugs in the ear will repair nerve or hair cells in the hear and restore hearing but that's many years away. It might help young people but older ones are fcuked.
Loud tinnitus and mild tinnitus may require different doses of regenerative drug to treat, but seem to result from the same damage. As long as the cause is SNHL it looks like you'll be ok.

People talk about Lenire and the ear drugs but does any of the researchers or experts talk about whether there is any hope to help severe loud tinnitus sufferers? I will probably be dead but I have a hard time believing anything they have or do will treat LOUD tinnitus.

I don't know why they can't freeze parts of our brain or use laser or locate the neurons firing or something. Supposedly drugs in the ear will repair nerve or hair cells in the hear and restore hearing but that's many years away. It might help young people but older ones are fcuked.
Is 2 years many years? I don't think so...

It isn't possible for me to live with this much longer, 2 years 3 months no relief, none ever likely, thinking catastrophic thoughts a lot recently, feel very guilty leaving loved ones, plus obviously the risk of failure.
I feel you. I have managed to live with loud intrusive tinnitus for four years having bad episodes and then times of complete habituation. Two months ago things changed for the worse and my tinnitus got louder. Now I don't even see myself enduring one more month with this. I wake up to horrible anxiety. I am plagued with suicidal thoughts. Have stopped reading, listening to music (I did it at a very low volume and no headphones), meeting friends... I spend most of the day at home where it obviously sounds louder. I am obsessed about it. It's a complete mess.

I feel you. I have managed to live with loud intrusive tinnitus for four years having bad episodes and then times of complete habituation. Two months ago things changed for the worse and my tinnitus got louder. Now I don't even see myself enduring one more month with this. I wake up to horrible anxiety. I am plagued with suicidal thoughts. Have stopped reading, listening to music (I did it at a very low volume and no headphones), meeting friends... I spend most of the day at home where it obviously sounds louder. I am obsessed about it. It's a complete mess.
Hey El Buzz, what happened 2 months ago? I really feel for you.

@RishRamsey, hi friend. I am sorry you found yourself here... it is truly life altering and painful... I know. But, I got to say that many people with hyperacusis, myself included, do experience a gradual easing off of the symptoms... You just may be one of those folks who has their hyperacusis go into remission. It is counter intuitive but try not to over protect in the safety of your home. Have someone disable the fire alarms when your out of the flat and just give it time. Good luck. I know it's hell... hang tight and keep the faith.

It isn't possible for me to live with this much longer, 2 years 3 months no relief, none ever likely, thinking catastrophic thoughts a lot recently, feel very guilty leaving loved ones, plus obviously the risk of failure.
Dig deep friend, you can do it. No checking out now. I really understand your pain and despair. If you have loved ones close by, soak up the love, it helps. Sending you and all suffers who find themselves here love and the strength to hold on to coming treatments being trialed now and possible changes in your tinnitus that could be for the better.

Hey El Buzz, what happened 2 months ago? I really feel for you.
Usual christmas meetings with their noisy features, despite me trying to be protected (earplugs) all the time. Got stuck under one of those movement detectors in the door of a shop (LOUD deee daaa sound, maybe sounded three times), then went through a bad cold. So, go figure what could have caused this.
Probably not a good idea... for many reasons.
Absolutely agree. Very difficult for me to think straight these days.

To what extent is it possible and allowed to discuss here about methods?

I'd like to formulate explicit questions regarding that.

Honestly there are much better sites out there that can handle these types of questions and or planning. I won't put the links here but easily Googled. Those sites and users are very receptive and they are not in the business of talking people out of it.

Finding it harder and harder to hang in there. 3 months in and this keeps worsening. Hyperacusis despite avoiding loud places and not overprotecting. TTTS more often. Life ruined at 25.

I tapered to zero pregabalin 8 days ago. I have been off the supporting benzo (taken one week) for three days but the tinnitus is unbearable. Even walking outside has become very hard. I shake. I don't sleep more than 2h/3h per night.

I'm having very dark thoughts. Anxiety and depression. I am worrying for my kids.

Woke up with terrible anxiety. Ear fluttering. Walked into the office and of course it's Friday so everyone is rowdy. Experiencing this menthol sensation along my neck which is radiating through my entire face and left ear. Right ear is the one fluttering. What is happening to me. Seeing the doctor in about an hour.

Plus it's the weekend and idk how I'll make it through. I'm tired of visiting my parents and dumping my stress on them and making them feel worse. If I stay home alone I'll go crazy. Idk what to do. Lord help me please.

I tapered to zero pregabalin 8 days ago. I have been off the supporting benzo (taken one week) for three days but the tinnitus is unbearable. Even walking outside has become very hard. I shake. I don't sleep more than 2h/3h per night.

I'm having very dark thoughts. Anxiety and depression. I am worrying for my kids.
Hang in there man. It's gonna take a while but you'll get out of this. Technically your road to recovery started only 8 days ago when you got off pregabalin.

Woke up with terrible anxiety. Ear fluttering. Walked into the office and of course it's Friday so everyone is rowdy. Experiencing this menthol sensation along my neck which is radiating through my entire face and left ear. Right ear is the one fluttering. What is happening to me. Seeing the doctor in about an hour.
Please use an earplug in your symptomatic ear. These are hyperacusis/TTTS/ASD symptoms that will be exacerbated by sound exposure. Using protection can help you manage them.

When you have to circle the 0 on the survey your doctor gives you about feelings about self harm but you're a 4 on the daily. Doctor was a waste of time but that was a given. Audiology appointment next week.

Isn't this the opposite of what we're supposed to be doing?
No, the whole rhetoric of overprotecting is based on a study of healthy ears wearing plugs for 24 hours a day for an extended period of time and becoming temporarily more sensitive. I always plug my symptomatic ear when going to parties, the movies, or any loud environment. When I am around the house or another quiet location I do not plug.

The reaction to sound is not always instant. You may find you symptoms improve in general from protecting in loud environments. I get facial pain from noise overexposure (left side only) and by plugging that ear as needed I've stopped the symptom from interfering in my day to day life. I suggest you try this approach, disposable earplugs are very affordable.

They might not get their next NIH grant to waste on TRT, CBT and ACT if your suicide note criticizes them for not funding biomedical research.
honkler cure.png

honkler grants.png
Jasterberg.png

My cognitive performance is now very low compared to how it was before this fucking shit.

I feel useless, worthless and stupid.

I am not the person I was before and that's it. My head does not stop ringing and ringing, it is full of noise. Basically I have been about to fail a logic test to access a position, a test that I have passed thousands of times without any problem.

Tinnitus is destroying my young brain. This is devastating.

Loud tinnitus and mild tinnitus may require different doses of regenerative drug to treat, but seem to result from the same damage. As long as the cause is SNHL it looks like you'll be ok.
What about ear pain and crackling? I think the existence of this two conditions is a concern even if there was this ideal drug in the pipeline.

I have a hard time believing some amazing drug treatment would be available in such a short time. I think everyone here who has severe tinnitus would welcome and wait for a drug if it only took two years. But, it would have to be 100% certain of being effective and massive improvement whether that means drastic improvement of practically eliminating the tinnitus. So, either reducing to mild t or nothing. I think researchers would release some news but I haven't read anything here. It's just a fantasy.

My cognitive performance is now very low compared to how it was before this fucking shit.

I feel useless, worthless and stupid.

I am not the person I was before and that's it. My head does not stop ringing and ringing, it is full of noise. Basically I have been about to fail a logic test to access a position, a test that I have passed thousands of times without any problem.

Tinnitus is destroying my young brain. This is devastating.
It's amazing that are trying to work. I wish my tinnitus was quieter so I could try.
I try to explain to people in real life exactly what you posted. Exactly!
My concentration, focus and cognitive ability is reduced and impaired.

My head and ears is full of noise too. It also is so depressing how it worsened since a year ago. The first time I noticed it significantly worse was last March.

What about ear pain and crackling? I think the existence of this two conditions is a concern even if there was this ideal drug in the pipeline.

I have a hard time believing some amazing drug treatment would be available in such a short time. I think everyone here who has severe tinnitus would welcome and wait for a drug if it only took two years. But, it would have to be 100% certain of being effective and massive improvement whether that means drastic improvement of practically eliminating the tinnitus. So, either reducing to mild t or nothing. I think researchers would release some news but I haven't read anything here. It's just a fantasy.
News is released as trials are complete not before. Head on over to the research section if you want to see what drugs are being studied and what info is known so far.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now