• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Suicidal

Have you experienced distortion. For example where motors sound strange and over powering?
My tinnitus is very intense and I have poor hearing. I make the best of my situation. I have had to, change the ways of living to help my ears heal in any possible ways.

Do you have an understanding friend or a relative that lives somewhere quieter you could go to for a bit?
I do not. My home is quiet right now, but my anxiety is bad. I kept on re reading the Joyce Cohen/Azusa Plane stories. My parents live 2 hours away and now I'm worried I can't visit them because my car might be making my hyperacusis worse.

It's like I can't tell what thoughts are rational or not anymore. I thought I was a smart person but I feel like I'm becoming mentally ill, psychosis or something. It all started when I read of people with hyperacusis saying their ears burn and now my ears constantly burn and idk if it's because my hyperacusis is worsening or because I'm just paying more attention.

It's like I can't tell what thoughts are rational or not anymore. I thought I was a smart person but I feel like I'm becoming mentally ill, psychosis or something. It all started when I read of people with hyperacusis saying their ears burn and now my ears constantly burn and idk if it's because my hyperacusis is worsening or because I'm just paying more attention.
Is there any possible way you can sleep for a bit? It helps reset anxiety and scale it back some.

Hearing thresholds are inadequate as a reliable test to measure damage to the ear. Especially if you are using a headset at home, vs a carefully calibrated soundproof room set up like an audiologist. It's designed to fit a heating aid more than anything else. LDLs are a better indication of hyperacusis, but even then It's a subjective test.

Brain plasticity is very complicated, I personally find the most comfort in reading about the science so I understand it as much as I can. It's hard because not much research is understood yet. I found this site to have a pretty easy to understand but in depth explanation: https://hyperacusisfocus.org/central-auditory-system/

Even cutting edge science is just starting to figure out what's going on in this area, so I'd hold off from giving yourself a highly specific self diagnosis.

Your probably right. Tonight we had a friend discuss problems she encountered with recent brain tumor. Sadly so many of the symptoms overlap. It would be probably more likely than my central gain theory. Tomorrow I'm going to my GP to push for an MRI to rule this one out. Hopefully I don't get refered to neurologist and slow things down to receive a scan. It's staggering how my life has changed in a couple weeks. I would say there would be an upside but there's really not any upside.

Your probably right. Tonight we had a friend discuss problems she encountered with recent brain tumor. Sadly so many of the symptoms overlap. It would be probably more likely than my central gain theory. Tomorrow I'm going to my GP to push for an MRI to rule this one out. Hopefully I don't get refered to neurologist and slow things down to receive a scan. It's staggering how my life has changed in a couple weeks. I would say there would be an upside but there's really not any upside.
Hyperacusis symptoms can have so MANY causes, it's responsible of you to look into getting a tumor ruled out. Please avoid assuming the worst though, it could very well just be standard noise damage.

2-5 years is my best guess for FX-322. I don't know how to convert that to snail ocean crossing units.
2 years I can maybe live with, but more than that sounds pretty unbearable. I hope that the letter(s) to Dr. Woodcock may help to expedite the release FX-322. And wouldn't the synaptopathy drugs in trials be potentially eligible to receive breakthrough status too?

I have it that loud, bad and my hearing is very BAD. I sleep without benzos. Habituation is not impossible. Habituation is not even 100% possible, it might be, but I don't have it like that. Any habituation helps us live our lives with tinnitus. With habituation, we are able to push a little more forward in our lives with tinnitus and the noise/ringing will not afflict us like it did pre-habituation. All of this takes time, acceptance and working on your life, thinking and planning on a daily basis.

Tinnitus takes work, adjustments and just pushing forward. It's not easy, I never have it easy, but I still push each day. I plan ways, to help myself with this beyond horrible noise that afflicts me 24-7.....
Thank you fishbone. My problem is compounded by drug withdrawal that makes it unbearable. Warding off anxiety, depression, insomnia and unbearable tinnitus but failing. I know you mentioned you went through drug withdrawal in the past. It's hell squared. Not sure I'll make it.

Hi @Chinmoku. My tinnitus started four years and five months ago. It has been intrusive since day one. Unmaskable. Loud. First year took me through the darkest and toughest passages a human being could go through. I felt like throwing the towel every single day. Then, little by little, I started to recover segments from my pre-tinnitus life. I reconnected with lots of aspects of myself which were completely abandoned. I have to admit that I sometimes fell back in the pit but my average day to day was pretty decent despite having that loud hiss/shrill/drill sound in my head. I habituated. I got tired of feeling bad about it or something. Don't know how the magic worked but I felt alive again. It takes time.

Now I am back to square one after a permanent worsening which started out of the blue almost two months ago. I am going through a lot of suffering and mental pain at the moment and I feel completely desperate ironically missing my old sweet LOUD & intrusive tinnitus. Don't want to tell how this crap sounds now... Just imagine it.
Sorry to hear you are going through this @El BUZZ . I had constant worsening for almost one year. Now I'm off pregabalin but need a benzo to barely cope. I don't know if I can get through this. I have two kids but this monster seems impossible to beat. Let's stick together. Will you try len ire? I'm full of doubts.

I do not. My home is quiet right now, but my anxiety is bad. I kept on re reading the Joyce Cohen/Azusa Plane stories. My parents live 2 hours away and now I'm worried I can't visit them because my car might be making my hyperacusis worse.
Longer car rides give me also too much ear pain even with hearing protection. Fortunately we have some quieter trains which I can use to travel longer distances.

Same. I had a feeling I was getting tinnitus. Took a break from the electronic drums, went to Mexico, came back then to what I refer the 15 minutes that wrecked my life when I tried playing them again. Problem is I kinda knew about tinnitus but had no clue what hyperacusis was & had developed it.
Sadly severe tinnitus is a cake walk compared to severe hyperacusis. I had no idea either. This is so horrible.

Sadly severe tinnitus is a cake walk compared to severe hyperacusis. I had no idea either. This is so horrible.
Some people have both or some hyperacusis-like symptoms.

I think severe tinnitus is just as bad. It's just different and not really comparable. One is pain related and the other also ruins your life. With severe tinnitus, you can't concentrate and if it doesn't fluctuate much, it's constant torture. Whether you describe it as buzzing or ringing, the louder the volume, the worse it is. It's even worse, when you have multiple sounds and tones and can discern differences in the tinnitus sounds.

I think I know what people mean when they wonder if their hearing might be getting worse. It might not be. It's difficult to tell. What might be happening is that the tinnitus tones are so loud, they interfere with trying to hear things in the external environment. I sometimes struggle with hearing the tv because the tinnitus tones are so loud.

I hate how some people here talk about a cure or major treatment is coming in two years while others claim it's at least 10 years away.

I think everyone is full of shit. Anyway, I know I can't wait 10 years and since there's nothing definite, I don't want to wait for anything. I am only waiting until I can come up with a suicide method that I think will work and won't carry risks of failure.

Thinking of jumping in a front of a train. Put me out of my misery. I am watching my life pass by me and I'm just stuck in an endless loop of suffering. There is no end. My forehead and neck all feel like they're on fire. The hissing won't stop. No one can help me.

My friends are starting to hate me. I'm so tired of being in group chats about babies, vacations, relationships. I'm pushing everyone away. I'm snapping on my coworkers. Stressing out my parents. This world will be better if I'm not in it.

I don't understand how people with mild tinnitus can continue to live life normally and be totally fine. If the damage has been done why doesn't it get worse? Why do I get stuck with hyperacusis & tinnitus and all these weird sensations that radiate throughout my body.

We need to use confirmation bias to convince ourselves into believing that consciousness is a fundamental to reality, therefore reincarnation would be possible in a Universe where consciousness manipulates space-time.

The best arguments for panpychism

1: Free will "if it exist" would have to require novel physics relating to Quantum mechanics to overwrite Einstein's theory of space-time. It's easier to cast doubt on time then to deny free will's existence.

2: The Hard problem of consciousness/How does consciousness emerge from matter?

3:
Everything you see is a construction of your mind.

4: The controversial early interpretations of the observer effect in Quantum Physics (consciousness is the collapse of the wave function) Max Plank and other founders of Quantum mechanics took this idea very seriously. However Einstein called it BS.

5: The chance of being the extremely lucky particles that just happened to be associated with brain neurons in a dumb materialist Universe is 99.99% against all odds. What if the particles that made up your brain ended up on the surface of Jupiter or made up a Super Nova?

My hyperacusis has worsened for no apparent reason over the past 12 hours - feels like I'm back to where I was a month ago. And I thought I was making progress. Liquidy, warm, cooling/burning sensation is back again. Hoping it's just a temporary blip but the anxiety and depression are really getting on top of me today.

I work in Healthcare. I saw a psychiatrist at the Gym from where I worked a while back. I asked if he ever had anyone wanting to off themselves due to suffering from tinnitus. He had not.
I would argue it's because most people with tinnitus understand that a psychiatrist probably can't do very much to help them.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now