Suicidal

You need to go on disability ASAP and move out of there.
Have you gotten hit by those alarms more than once?
Yes. But, disability will only increase benefits by a bit over $300.

The alarms are pretty regular (scheduled tests) but also unstable tenants pull the alarm.

My Dad passed away last night.

I couldn't visit him because of COVID-19.

At least, his suffering is over. I want my suffering to be over now.

Sorry to hear that, Pete. I deeply oppose not allowing people to see their dying relatives. I think it's inhumane and cruel.

You have my sincere condolences on your loss.

Have you spent any time in the Success Stories portion of this site?
Not much. I'm having a bad day again. It seems like distraction works the best. Maybe some ADs can help but I'm scared of the side effects. @Bill Bauer thinks COVID-19 is no worse than the flu so why should anyone trust his judgement on tinnitus?

Sorry to hear that, Pete. I deeply oppose not allowing people to see their dying relatives. I think it's inhumane and cruel.

You have my sincere condolences on your loss.
Yeah, it is. I am not the only person this has happened to. But, what about the elderly family members? My brother called it torture. A slow drawn out torture, preventing old family members from seeing their loved ones, relatives, friends etc.

Thanks for the condolences. I knew it was coming one of these days but it still feels strange and simultaneously horrible that he's gone. Words can't describe it. He had strokes in 2012 and wasn't the same person but still, he was my Dad.

@PeteJ

Sorry for the loss of your Dad. I lost a brother in October. It is very strange and sure reminds us of the brevity of life. Nothing is guaranteed in this life.
Yeah, it's so short. I have one brother and he's the only family member left I am close with meaning relative I regularly talk to.

People here with big close families are lucky. We die alone but at least a large close family has support for a greater extent of their lives.

Yes. But, disability will only increase benefits by a bit over $300.

The alarms are pretty regular (scheduled tests) but also unstable tenants pull the alarm.
$300 is a lot of money for somebody who couldn't afford a rope 6 months ago. It's also a lot of money for me too by the way and anybody who can't work due to tinnitus/hyperacusis.

Not all of us became millionaires by the time we got tinnitus.

If you have a fire alarm bell inside your apartment, get a court order to disable it and just wear earmuffs when you're making your way to your apartment or out that way if it goes off at least you have protection on.

$300 is a lot of money for somebody who couldn't afford a rope 6 months ago. It's also a lot of money for me too by the way and anybody who can't work due to tinnitus/hyperacusis.

Not all of us became millionaires by the time we got tinnitus.

If you have a fire alarm bell inside your apartment, get a court order to disable it and just wear earmuffs when you're making your way to your apartment or out that way if it goes off at least you have protection on.
Court order? For routine fire drills?

The other times, unstable people in the apartment pull it and I can't do anything about that. I am on a waiting list to move but it is unbelievably slow.

I would like to sue the county and government. That's the legal method I WISH I COULD DO!

The last time I talked to my Dad was on his birthday, on the phone. Couldn't visit him.

Before that, there was an arranged visit outside but with a time limit of 15 minutes and social distancing. It was like a prison visit. This was the experience for his last year of his life.

Court order? For routine fire drills?

The other times, unstable people in the apartment pull it and I can't do anything about that. I am on a waiting list to move but it is unbelievably slow.

I would like to sue the county and government. That's the legal method I WISH I COULD DO!
No I mean just to remove the fire alarm inside your apartment if you got one, because legally you cannot remove them or bypass them. Well you can put some tape over it I guess.

The last time I talked to my Dad was on his birthday, on the phone. Couldn't visit him.

Before that, there was an arranged visit outside but with a time limit of 15 minutes and social distancing. It was like a prison visit. This was the experience for his last year of his life.
I'm sorry for your loss man *hugs*

4ntcgr.jpg

Sorry for your loss Pete. Thoughts and prayers your way.

There's no way I'll be eternally punished in whatever way for killing myself to get relief from this misery right? Chronic pain really has a way of making you feel like life is a game. Horrific pain, no answers from the medical community. Not only "no answers" but the general reaction is "you're lying that's not possible". No sympathy from anyone, no relief, just constant torture. If I have to stare at the same 4 walls for one more day while dealing with this screeching and burning I might just drive off of a bridge. Stupid survival instinct

Wish there was a simpler way to call it quits. It I could press a button and end it all now I would. I can't believe hell on earth like this exists.
I think the same thing most days. We gotta just keep holding onto faith. Just imagine the day that we finally get an injection into our ear and slowly have the tinnitus dissipate.

There's no way I'll be eternally punished in whatever way for killing myself to get relief from this misery right? Chronic pain really has a way of making you feel like life is a game. Horrific pain, no answers from the medical community. Not only "no answers" but the general reaction is "you're lying that's not possible". No sympathy from anyone, no relief, just constant torture. If I have to stare at the same 4 walls for one more day while dealing with this screeching and burning I might just drive off of a bridge. Stupid survival instinct
Don't push the button yet, please. It might go into remission on its own, therapies may arrive, we may get relief from some treatment. I'm with you, I suffer 24/7, electric storm in my ears and brain that cut through everything. Sleeping is minimal, stress inhumane. Basically torture. Words like "volume", "loudness", "masking" don't make even sense anymore to me. Please hold on a little longer, don't do it.

I don't think that there is any eternal punishment. In a Judeo-Christian setting, eternal hell (lake of fire) wasn't even consistently in the Bible in the beginning. There is more a concept of annihilation of the soul but not really an eternal lake of fire. There are a few notions of afterlife and of hell in the bible, but most of the eternal hell as lake of fire comes later from the church in later centuries. As for suicides going to "hell", St Augustine was responsible for saying that suicides would end up in hell, and on a separate note for saying that hell is eternal. The bible does not explicitly condemn suicide and there are examples of suicides in the bible.

Now it gets interesting if you look at the fathers of the church. How can a loving heavenly Father condemn his children to eternal hell? I understand a pocket universe with its own spacetime where time still flows and where one may be sentenced for some time to understand his mistakes and be purified, maybe, but eternal suffering? How can that be with a loving God? Don't we suffer enough in this life? Even with mistakes, why eternal punishment? Also, how can a good and just creator triumph if hell remains eternal? It would be the epic fail of his supremacy and creation. This is why one of the most important fathers of the church, Origen, came up with the doctrine of Apocatastasis. This is the idea the in the end EVERYONE will be saved. Hell is temporary, in the end even the most wicked and the Devil himself will be converted and everyone will be saved. There is biblical support for this in several parts of the bible. Several other fathers of the church supported this. Even in recent years some theologians approved this notion. St Augustine misunderstood Origen, thinking that he wanted just to be nice to everyone and politically correct to people who feared eternal punishment, when in reality he was making a theology point. How can God fail at His own creation, even with the proviso of giving His creatures free will? But freedom is to be contextualized, there is no absolute freedom in a conditioned and fallen world. Hence Apocatastasis.

If you are a Christian and believe in Apocatastasis you are classed an heretic, but you are in good company. Origen was declared heretic by a Roman emperor later but he knew the bible better than St Augustin, as he could read Greek. It saddens me that he is declared a heretic as I sympathise with his message. A way out some Christians found to avoid heresy is to say hell is eternal but empty, everyone goes to the purgatory pocket universe before finally leaving spacetime and entering total transcendence with God. This was the hope of modern and renown theologians like Barks and von Balthasar among others. I like Apocatastasis and it makes sense to me more than eternal hell, but who am I to say?

If you are rather oriented to Hinduism then some say that suicide will send you into a bad reincarnation. Buddhists don't believe in the soul and talk about rebirth more than reincarnation, but they also think that most suicides end up with a poor rebirth. However, in Buddhism if there is no soul what is reborn? It's not you any longer, in a way it was not you in the first place, so there's not much to worry about.

If you are an atheist, then I guess no problem.

In any case don't do it please, anything can happen, you could start healing at any point, you could go into spontaneous remission, treatments might arrive... it's super tough, and I'm with you, many here are trying to keep going against incredible suffering. Stay with us. We can still catch glimpses of beauty through the broad strokes of this horrible torturing suffering. Let's hold on a little longer.

Sorry for the rant, it's a way to distract hopefully, I hope I haven't bored anyone, on the other hand one can always skip this post or push the "ignore" button.

If you disable it illegally you will get fined big time the next fire inspection. I'm not sure if one can disable it clandestinely.
Clandestinely, I meant.

Alternatively, grab a step latter, a screw gun, and literally smother the thing in foam and cloth and screw it down.

This is an issue that can be solved as opposed to cochlear damage, right?

Take care dan, I admire that you have retained your sense of humor and compassion despite your debilitating tinnitus and hyperacusis. Maybe some suffers have a genetic personality predisposition that leads to this.

I cannot hear the phrase "trust the professionals" without flying into a rage or becoming suicidal. I left every doctor who doubted me during and after my accident a nice message about how much I'm suffering now, and how it's more beneficial to hear patients out instead of accusing them of insanity. Not like it would do much good anyway and I doubt they'll listen, but I'm pretty tired of being stepped on and staying silent.

I am convinced a large percentage of doctors are actual sociopaths. They don't care if their words or maltreatment leave bodies behind. As long as they have their paychecks at the end of the day.

Awful. I am so sorry, Pete...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now