The Positivity Thread

One good way to help distract from T is, when you are ready, to pursue a hobby you really like to try. The T stressed out and tired brain is dying for some new stimulation to regain its vitality. Giving it something new or interesting will sure help the brain rest and relax. I have learned this helpful hint from Paul Tobey, a former T sufferer and a featured T speaker on ATA site. He is encouraging us to try to live and accept T as a reality, then to pursue the most desired hobby or dream while living with T, and you will learn how it can help you forget about T or pay less attention to it.

I am back to fishing, gardening, dancing, singing and travelling. I think I want to take up photography next. LOL. Perhaps go through your inventory of interests and hobbies you wish to pursue and see if you can incorporate them into your life. There is always time for T if you like, but why not take a break to venture into whatever interests you most? This is a positive step towards habituation. Positivity can only help and not hinder our ability to enjoy life despite T.

Have a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

I just want to wish my T friends a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am doing well--I have adjusted to my new normal and I think I'm habituating. I can go quite a while without noticing my T and when I do hear it I'm taking @I who love music's advice-- I'm measuring my reaction--which seems to be almost nil. I still have louder T days but now they aren't bad days as I almost don't care. I acknowledge the sound, look at my reaction and then I say something like, "There it is but I'm busy now and I will soon forget about it." Then I go on with my day. This happens many times a day but it seems to be happening less! :)

I couldn't have gotten here without this forum and I will be forever grateful to you all for your support and good advice. I know that the dark days are behind me.

I just want to wish my T friends a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am doing well--I have adjusted to my new normal and I think I'm habituating. I can go quite a while without noticing my T and when I do hear it I'm taking @I who love music's advice-- I'm measuring my reaction--which seems to be almost nil. I still have louder T days but now they aren't bad days as I almost don't care. I acknowledge the sound, look at my reaction and then I say something like, "There it is but I'm busy now and I will soon forget about it." Then I go on with my day. This happens many times a day but it seems to be happening less! :)

I couldn't have gotten here without this forum and I will be forever grateful to you all for your support and good advice. I know that the dark days are behind me.
GOOD FOR YOU. That's great news!!

What a year for us! Praise to those who got through and cheers to those who are on their way to coping fully. Let me describe a positive experience or two I had recently. Firstly I did my second performance (theatre) and once again was so focussed on the show and throughout the rehearsals that I didn't even have TIME to notice the T - the audience clapping did not trigger a spike. After the performance I escaped with my partner to a rental beach house on the south coast in Ulladulla (look it up folks!). We stayed for a week. The start of summer here in Australia. The house was next to the Banksia (a type of native tree to Australia) forest and then the sea. During the day ALL I heard was birds and cicadas and at night ALL I heard was the sound of the sea. I realised once again that I had been avoiding external sounds which has only made me more aware of the T. We are moving to a new unit in 2 weeks which is surrounded by trees and ...you guessed it - birds and cicadas. I guess I will keep the windows open?!?!?!?!

My T has become a second heartbeat - a way of judging what is going on inside my body - tired, stressed, angry, too much coffee, or whatever. So in this way is useful. I am habituating to it.

Strength to those who are not coping too well and remember - you have actually been through worse - although you cant remember it ...the pain of cutting teeth, learning to walk and falling over, your first bicycle and skinning your knees, the fear of the dark and being alone....all of the things you have forgotten how you overcame and adapted to.

I have included a picture of the cicada and bird filled Banksia forest for your distraction!

IMG_6806.JPG

Just wanted to add my recent thoughts about my tinnitus here!

I can say that December was a somewhat volatile month for tinnitus but if it went in like a lion, it is going out like a lamb. For one, I met with a new ENT who was much more responsive to me than my first ENT and seemed to listen better. He also disagreed with the opinion of my first ENT who wanted me to have surgery to repair inflammation of my eardrum (the left side where my tinnitus is.) I've met with him again and surgery is definitely out and in fact he said he thinks the inflammation will be behind me soon. That is good because I think I've had ear pain that has caused me to be more aware of tinnitus and had sent me in anxiety spirals.

I also am meeting with Paula Schwartz in the new year in early January to get a tinnitus consultation. She is a TRT audiologist here in Edina, MN, one that @Dr. Nagler knows well. I'm really looking forward to that appointment. And since starting T I started back with therapy, which has helped ease my tinnitus-related anxiety and addressed a lot of other anxiety in my life.

Finally, some combination of having time off over the holidays and slowly re-introducing myself to social situations that I have avoided the past few months has left me feeling very positive. I went to a holiday party with my family that I was dreading because of a bad tinnitus experience I had in a similar environment in November and I hardly noticed it at all. I took my wife out for dinner at a noisy restaurant last night and while I noticed the tinnitus, I didn't let it bother me and even enjoyed a beer, something I hadn't done since T started.

I have no idea if my T will ever go away or if any of the current study drugs will have any affect, but I DO know that it can get better, and that anxiety/depression related to T is 1000x worse than the T itself. At work I can concentrate much easier by listening softly to some music (KEXP based in Seattle has been really enjoyable to listen to while doing work at my desk.) I feel fortunate that my T is not as bad as many of yours is (I cannot imagine how bad it would be if mine felt like a screaming tea kettle or dog whistle) and know that habituation does not come easy, but I'm here to say that I think it is possible. This morning, for the first time since T started, I had a natural thought that just popped into my head that said "I love life." That is the greatest gift of all, and I hope in 2015 that many more of you can have the same thoughts.

If anything, T is a good lesson in realizing that life is a journey full of setbacks and struggles, and a constant never-ending journey at that, but is also full of moments of grace and joy.

Happy New Year and here's to a great 2015 ahead!

It is the start of a new year. May I wish all a happy new year and may you get better in the coming year. This is the positivity thread. Let's make a goal to be more positive in the new year and hopefully those who are still suffering will turn the corner. T is not an end game. It may take time and patience to accept the reality of T in our life. It may take some strategies to make it easier to habituate. So keep your hope high in the new year that you will get better. May the good Lord look over us so our T life will be easier in 2015.

Hello all, want to say happy new year!
Also Im suffering t and the awful brain hiss , but ive been feeling great lately , it's been 6 weeks with the t and the first month was hell but now I really feel better, it's not gone nor settled down , but I've learnt not to fear it, I'm having cbt to help my anxiety so it's been really helpful. And I get bad days but more good days . I think Ive accepted this is something I can't do much about but I can still do everything I could before . I can still see freinds and go out and have a good time. I think it takes time to adjust but I'm at the point now where no matter how loud it is I can still go to bed and sleep without a masking device or any sounds. I just tune out of it. But some days I can't but that's normal. But I feel better :) and I do hope we will get peace one day. If it every happens I might actually miss the t haha. But yes hobbies have helped me and going out for walks and just getting out and about for the day makes a big difference.

That is really great positive update. You are much better than me in 6 weeks to be able to reach such a state of living in peace with T. I was still a mess in the same time frame and had to require meds to function. Great job and what an inspiration for other newer sufferers to read your story. Hope you will write your success story in the Success Stories forum with more detail of your initial struggle and eventual triumph over T. That way it will be there for all future T sufferers to read and be comforted that they may make it on the other side too in time. I am really impressed with your progress in such a short time. Congrats.

Thank you billie48 , and oh it's been hard and hell but I already suffer bad axiety on top so it was a huge blow, but I think because I was doing cbt for that before the t came it already helped me to retain my self not to be scared of t. It's still hard it's still there but I just think this: is this actually stopping me doing things physically? Cou,d this be worse? Then I look at what I did before the t and what I do now and I must say not much has changed after all only the sound in my head. It's hard but I think in time we can adapt to it even if we think we can't. It's about enjoying yourself with what you love like a hobby and anything to keep busy and not think about t. Only time I fully forget t is when I'm busy and having a good time. Then when I'm at home and quiet I hear it like a jet engine but I just don't give it the attention it wants. It wants to make us miserable it wants to make us not love life, it's an evil thing that mentally exusted us . But don't let it win ! And I think every one can do that if try. It takes time. But it does get better :) it really does.

I have a positive day not because of my T. Well it is blasting away as usual and super, super loud today. But the heck with it. I am going to enjoy my life regardless. The same sound used to overwhelm me at the start of T, but no longer. Time and acceptance plus positivity have done some magical healing.

It is Saturday, steelhead fishing time. There is a magical but elusive game fish called steelhead which is only available to fishermen in our frigid winter here in British Columbia. But it is a super difficult fish to catch and most of the time you go just for being in nature and fresh air. Fish or no fish, it is a good time outdoor. As usual, I am skunked (no fish) today. T blasted so loud that I could hear it in the middle of a raging rapids. My T is an ultra high pitch dog whistle packed with so much condensed energy that it just can cut through all that raging, rushing water around me. I could hear it during my last 2 flights above the jet noise. So I am not surprised I can hear it above the rapids. But after a few years of getting used to the sensation, I simply don't care about it and my brain has learned to ignore it. Once I am totally paying attention to my fishing and watching that float drifting down the river expecting a strike any time, my brain just fades T into the background and I wasn't aware of it most of the time. I kept on enjoying my fishing day, regardless of that screaming T. T can go to hell while I will enjoy a little bit of heaven on the river. Yes, even on a fishless day. I count my blessings to be healthy to be able to see the beauty around me, be able to walk to fish, be able to hear (even if T is a part of that), and to have a beautiful place to live while others live in constant fear of war and violence.

What makes it a positive day today is that I met 3 young 'angels' today who, like us here, have reached out to help me, a total stranger, without being asked. What happened is that I had a flat tire and being alone I had to try to do all the tire change thing by myself with difficulty. I am a grandfather with a bad back and in dim light having to bend down to find my way to exchange the tire with many cars just blowing by. It is no fun to try to work with freezing fingers in the cold evening. I was ready to call 911 for some police help, but lo and behold 3 young guys stopped their car and offered to help without me asking. They worked expertly to get my tire changed for me. Oh so nice to be young and strong and with such noble heart. Such a wonderful group of young Canadians. They got their hands all dirty for me, a total stranger. People helping people, even strangers. They make the world a better place. Life can be beautiful because of those reaching out to make it beautiful for others. I thank God for sending these young 'angels' in my time of need.

Tandpiano, I miss those cold days in NY! Although here on the west coast of Florida, it can get chilly in the winter. I really do miss the snow!

This is a great thread for us newbies! It gives me hope of surviving this demon.

We T sufferers, may just get a free ticket to paradise when this life is all over?

About 5 months with T and I feel I'm turning the corner with the help of this forum and staying possitive it is truly possible to get through to the other side of( t) which is Habituation .I'm not there yet but I am getting closer.I'm trying to get on with my life.I have weened off anxiety and anti D. meds .Sleeping with less sleeping meds .Next step going back to work in FEB. 7th.When it does not bother me anymore and I get back to my old self ,I am going to put my time and what extra funds I have left into tinnitus awareness and support forums and research for tinnitus and other related disorders.
Thanks to all staff .doctors and members
Together we can move mountains and
Beat Tinnitus
Thanks uncle vikin

Wow, just watched an amazing NFL payoff game between Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks. Have been an NFL fan for years. T once shut me down from my hobbies such as watching sports when it started but as I said before we need to go back to enjoy our life regardless of T any day. My spiking loud T just got faded out of consciousness during the game. T can go to hell as we enjoy our life.

What an exciting game for the Seahawks, our favorite NFL team for the Pacific North West. The team and the quarterback Russel Wilson never gives up even after 4 interceptions and falling behind a lot late in the game. It takes a fake field goal to get on board and sheer determination to win the game in over time to go back to the Superbowl again. Wilson said they need to stay positive and believe in themselves to win against all odds. Well a bit of luck too, LOL. I guess we need to harbor this kind of attitude as much as we can in our journey with T. Being positive, never give up, and believe in ourselves will help us win in the mental game with T.

Whenever you feel like you're going crazy because of tinnitus, STOP AND THINK that extensive scientific research shows that the brain adapts to noise, sort of like how if you live by the train tracks you won't hear the train after a while, so expect it to do the same with your tinnitus.

your brain WILL adapt and tinnitus will become so irrelevant in your life you won't even notice it most of the time!!! and its not me blowing air here to make you all feel better, scientific neurological research shows the brain adapts and overcomes repetitive unimportant sounds, smells and so on.

Hi All, I'm new here, and in fact this is my first post. I came here because I'm about to have surgery under general anesthesia and was terrified. After reading the support here, I signed up, and found this thread. I don't feel as scared now and am really grateful that there is a community here where I can talk about my T which can be stressful and crazy, but I know that I am not alone. So thanks, everyone! That's my positive post! :)

I agree, Melody. And welcome to the board. Yes, it is surely heart-warming to have total strangers stopping to offer help in rainy & freezing condition, and without being asked. In a way, we are doing similar effort here for strangers all over the world. After tasting 'hell' with our own sufferings for T, just can't standby when we see new sufferers in the depth of suffering and despair. People helping people, even among strangers all over the world, together we make a better world.

Tinnitus is as common as dirt, 50 million Americans have it... (that is the population of California, Washington State, Oregon and Idaho combined) basically an equivalent of the population of the entire west coast.

Tinnitus loudness is also relative, pretty subjective to each individual and research shows people who claim to have really loud tinnitus have been tested and show they can hear their own breathing despite claiming to have extremely loud tinnitus.... as a result it has been concluded that tinnitus loudness is very subjective and in the vast majority of cases just psychosomatic and caused by stress or people focusing constantly on it.

http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/fi...tinnitus_become_so_annoying_newman_dec_03.pdf

So yes, tinnitus is VASTLY in our heads and pretty much harmless!

Have a made a few posts on this thread. Its so great! I have had T for 20 years but it spiked 4 months ago to the point that I began to "suffer". Anyway, in the last 3 or 4 months I really started to habituate to it. I could feel myself carrying less and less about it. Progress almost every day. Excellent. In fact, yesterday I was having arguably the best day since this beast started. Then last night before I went to bed, from absolutely nowhere, it spiked to the loudest it has ever been. This morning I am left with a horrible sense that I went backwards to a place that's worse (volume wise) since the on set. So, I thought I would reach out to the positive people of this thread to see if you have experienced something similar along the path to habituation... I am still remaining positive and assuring myself it will subside. But Geez... why so loud from nowhere? I was doing so great.

My positive: You learn to tune it out. That's it. It seriously gets better, without a cure, without noise, without anything. It just goes to the background.

The worst thing is to think about it, then it gets awful. It sound a little silly, but stop thinking about it.

That is awesome, Lisa. T is almost gone! You lucky lady! We should expect a success story post from you soon. Way to go. So happy for you.

TGIF !! T is not going to mess up my weekend :) Meeting up with old friends that are in town, and we're going out for dinner.

Another positive: I'm not cured, but at least I have a better understanding of the problem. Thanks to this forum.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now