The Positivity Thread

Hey All ... I just wanted to share some positivity. I'm on day 2 of a big holiday to Italy from NY, USA. I have been in Venice for two days now and I have had a great time. I have hardly thought about T at all even though I know it's always there. I have been going through an incredibly hard time this year and thought that good times were no more but there is always somewhere out there to go and something that IS Worth living for...I'm sitting in the hotel room now writing this and I can hear my t over the HVAC system but I'm just not giving a f-ck. Life is worth it. don't ever give up.

Cheers to all.
Ben
Venice is amazing I was there last year enjoy man ! Life is definitely worth to live for with or without T !

Hey All ... I just wanted to share some positivity. I'm on day 2 of a big holiday to Italy from NY, USA. I have been in Venice for two days now and I have had a great time. I have hardly thought about T at all even though I know it's always there. I have been going through an incredibly hard time this year and thought that good times were no more but there is always somewhere out there to go and something that IS Worth living for...I'm sitting in the hotel room now writing this and I can hear my t over the HVAC system but I'm just not giving a f-ck. Life is worth it. don't ever give up.

Cheers to all.
Ben

Awesome Ben! Here's a Pic For You
nwqjj.jpg

I just enjoyed a lovely evening in the backyard with my wife, kid, dogs and tinnitus too I guess. Grilled up some fish tacos and sweet corn. And enjoyed a day at work listening to KEXP and doing fulfilling work at a nonprofit.

I really do mean it when I say my life is actually better now than it was a year ago before I had t. I have met you beautiful people and gained a greater appreciation for the "good times" and live and love more fully than ever.

So great to see all of your good stories here! Raise a glass for all of you!

Hi . I'm new here and new to tinnitus and really scared. Here's my story. 6 days ago I shot a .45 hand gun 7 times without hearing protection my left ear hasn't stopped ringing since. The doc said my ear drum didn't appear to be damaged I havnt been to a ent yet. I just wanna ask do you think I have a chance that the ringing Will stop or is it gonna be like this forever sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this I just made a profile and just want some Info please help me.

It is blueberry U-pick season in Vancouver. What a fun day to spend time with the family and get to pick sweet black blueberry, teaching my grandchildren how to pick the biggest and juiciest of them all and they had a great time together. We took some pictures together and these will be precious memories to last a life time. I tell the screaming T to take a ticket and wait in line before it will get any of my attention. With the young grandchildren around me and with me positively enjoying these beautiful moments in life, T had no chance and got stuck in a long waiting line. You simply don't give a dime to T when living life abundantly and enjoyably. T can go to hell while I enjoy my earthly heaven.

After a very successful trip to Amsterdam. I feel ready to go back to the best place on earth, Thailand! I leave 12th of september this year. Read my post about it here. I will be posting pictures and video from the trip..!

Hi . I'm new here and new to tinnitus and really scared. Here's my story. 6 days ago I shot a .45 hand gun 7 times without hearing protection my left ear hasn't stopped ringing since. The doc said my ear drum didn't appear to be damaged I havnt been to a ent yet. I just wanna ask do you think I have a chance that the ringing Will stop or is it gonna be like this forever sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this I just made a profile and just want some Info please help me.
Realistically, you've probably got permanent ringing, but, this early there is a slight chance that steroids could help. I would try and get on them right away just to see if it helps - although you are a bit late to start from what I've gathered. Nevertheless I would try it. The lack of true medical support for this condition makes the process of acquiring Tinnitus really awful. However, it get's much, much better over the upcoming year. Despite the tough stories you will read on the Internet, there are a number of things that help it improve over time:

Your mental state - being freaked out, which you probably are, makes tinnitus peak, which in turn freaks you out more and so on. Therefore, I would guess your tinnitus is at a heightened state which it won't be 6 months from now. The fact is that accepting Tinnitus and moving forward is a process. It's a process that most people get through. But, honestly, there are dark times before there are good times. But, you naturally get to the point where tinnitus is less and less a distraction to your life. At the beginning I would not expect you to see any light at the end of the tunnel. I would expect you to think that you could never be happy with this condition. Well, the intensity of tinnitus will lessen over time, you will notice it less and less, it will bother you less and less, and it will stop being the number one focus in your life.

Habituation - In 6 to 12 months you will start to habituate which means that you tune it out. I know this really doesn't sound that great, but, the end result is that is that it seems lower which is all that really matters. So, when it seems lower, in essence, it IS lower. So, you can begin to hear fine details such as the cars from a distant road, your steps on a sidewalk, or nature noise. Overall, you just won't notice it or be bothered by it nearly as much as you are in the beginning. So, at this point, you are the opposite of habituated... you are super-sensitized to it which makes it seem worse.

Masking - In the beginning you will not be very good with masking and this is a challenge. Masking is a skill. It requires you to understand the behavior of your tinnitus and understand the various techniques, sounds, and devices that can be used. I have become really good at it now, but, it's been a long learning process. Some attempts at masking will actually make your tinnitus temporarily worse. Plus, I have different setups for different situations such as sleeping, being on phone calls, driving, being in social situations, etc. Sounds like a huge pain in the neck right? Well, at this point the masking is routine and has become much less intrusive and much more effective. In the end good masking techniques just keep your tinnitus at a lower volume which is very nice.

Social/work - In the beginning, you are probably worried and embarrassed about your tinnitus - which makes it worse. In the last few months I proudly share my tinnitus situation and do not hide my masking. In the end - no one really cares or in fact, they respect your challenge. I find open air masking, such as back ground sounds from my phone with a noise app to work much better than anything in or on my ears. That being the case, other people can hear it. But, I've gotten to the point where that sound can be quite low. Anything on or in the ears can intensify tinnitus. So, my wife, son, friends, and co-worker's don't really care that I play the background noise. As a result, my tinnitus stays low and often unnoticeable.

Medications/Sleep - Understanding how to use medications and getting good sleep is at the foundation of controlling tinnitus. Benzo's (anti depressants) provide temporary relief but it's terribly worse when they wear off. It becomes a bad cycle. Plus, they mess with you emotionally which makes it difficult to get your head back to normal. However, mild sleep aids (prescriptions), Melatonin, vitamin B12, and vitamin D can be a big help (a healthy nervous system is good for keeping tinnitus under control).

All in all - there's a lot to learn to with regards to controlling and recovering from tinnitus. Unfortunately, it's a process of learning and nervous system adjustment. You really can't rush it. I considered my first months of tinnitus to have been really bad times. But, I have overcome it and am much, much happier now. So, I come back to this sight to help those just beginning the journey in hopes that their recovery can be much easier and faster than than mine was. Remember, good days will be followed by bad days. Overall, it get's better season to season. Hang in there... what you are experiencing is temporary.

Hi All,
I wasn't sure where to post this but I hope some people out there will gain some usefulness from this and it is a positive one with maybe some hope for others.

I had sudden onset of hearing problems in my L ear after a head injury and skull fracture likely damaging the cochlear as well as my auditory cortex.

The symptoms I have are L sided hearing loss particularly high frequency hearing loss, tinnitus but the worst symptoms by far are the symptoms of Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome/Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS /ASD). Here is some info by a fellow Aussie world expert in the field. http://www.dineenwestcottmoore.com.au/uploads/ASD_TTTS_guide_medical_professionals.pdf

The worst symptoms I have are the dull constant L sided headache and the feeling of fullness or numbness on that side of my head. These symptoms get worse when the tinnitus gets louder. I wonder if the severe symptoms people get with their tinnitus are actually due to TTTS.

My theory is that whatever the cause of hearing loss it often results in loss of higher frequencies as this is the most sensitive to damage. This results in tinnitus and TTTS. I believe the TTTS is an attempt by the brain to reflexively boost the high frequency vibrations by increasing tension on the tympanic membrane. This is purely my theory and based on no evidence at all but makes sense from my understanding of physics. A floppy TM wont detect those high frequencies as well.

After a second hearing test showing my L hearing was worse with moderate high range hearing loss the audiologist suggested trialling a hearing aid. My first reaction was shock horror, I need one of those? I put it on and immediately the headache, the fullness melted away. The tinnitus settled. I listened to some meditation music and it was bliss. I was hearing sounds with that ear I hadn't heard in months. I tested it in various environments turning it off and on and the difference was profound.

The price was off putting and I knew it was likely going to get broken or lost. I did some reading and I discovered a personal sound amplification device called soundworldsolutions CS50. It sounded good so I bought one. It's fantastic. You can easily customise it after bluetoothing to your phone. It can easily be adjusted for different situations. You can play music through it from your phone and phone calls can be heard through it.

I did a side by side comparison with a Phonak V90 using an online hearing test which is great to check your hearing with. http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

It actually performed better at restoring the high frequency loss.

It is much more conspicuous than a hearing aid and looks like a Bluetooth headset device but I don't care about the aesthetics. It costs $379 from ALDS Australia vs $6020 for the Phonak. The Phonak also required another $216 for a Bluetooth device for you to adjust it or there are the ongoing audiologist fees. If you don't like it they offer a full refund for a month.

It is not a "hearing aid" because they are "medical" devices and have more stringent FDA/TGA approval procedures but that's what makes them so much cheaper.

My suggestion to anyone who suffers any of these symptoms is to test your own hearing using the link I posted. Block each ear and use headphones as laptop speakers aren't great for testing. You wont have a reference if both ears are bad so you might need to compare with a young healthy child if you have one (they like to play with it) OR get a free hearing test and when/if they suggest you might need a hearing aid get a free 1wk trial. If it helps you know your options ;).

After my brain injury and hearing problems I had started to get pretty depressed. After wearing this device I feel great, I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves as well.

Best wishes,
Andre

Realistically, you've probably got permanent ringing, but, this early there is a slight chance that steroids could help. I would try and get on them right away just to see if it helps - although you are a bit late to start from what I've gathered. Nevertheless I would try it. The lack of true medical support for this condition makes the process of acquiring Tinnitus really awful. However, it get's much, much better over the upcoming year. Despite the tough stories you will read on the Internet, there are a number of things that help it improve over time:

Your mental state - being freaked out, which you probably are, makes tinnitus peak, which in turn freaks you out more and so on. Therefore, I would guess your tinnitus is at a heightened state which it won't be 6 months from now. The fact is that accepting Tinnitus and moving forward is a process. It's a process that most people get through. But, honestly, there are dark times before there are good times. But, you naturally get to the point where tinnitus is less and less a distraction to your life. At the beginning I would not expect you to see any light at the end of the tunnel. I would expect you to think that you could never be happy with this condition. Well, the intensity of tinnitus will lessen over time, you will notice it less and less, it will bother you less and less, and it will stop being the number one focus in your life.

Habituation - In 6 to 12 months you will start to habituate which means that you tune it out. I know this really doesn't sound that great, but, the end result is that is that it seems lower which is all that really matters. So, when it seems lower, in essence, it IS lower. So, you can begin to hear fine details such as the cars from a distant road, your steps on a sidewalk, or nature noise. Overall, you just won't notice it or be bothered by it nearly as much as you are in the beginning. So, at this point, you are the opposite of habituated... you are super-sensitized to it which makes it seem worse.

Masking - In the beginning you will not be very good with masking and this is a challenge. Masking is a skill. It requires you to understand the behavior of your tinnitus and understand the various techniques, sounds, and devices that can be used. I have become really good at it now, but, it's been a long learning process. Some attempts at masking will actually make your tinnitus temporarily worse. Plus, I have different setups for different situations such as sleeping, being on phone calls, driving, being in social situations, etc. Sounds like a huge pain in the neck right? Well, at this point the masking is routine and has become much less intrusive and much more effective. In the end good masking techniques just keep your tinnitus at a lower volume which is very nice.

Social/work - In the beginning, you are probably worried and embarrassed about your tinnitus - which makes it worse. In the last few months I proudly share my tinnitus situation and do not hide my masking. In the end - no one really cares or in fact, they respect your challenge. I find open air masking, such as back ground sounds from my phone with a noise app to work much better than anything in or on my ears. That being the case, other people can hear it. But, I've gotten to the point where that sound can be quite low. Anything on or in the ears can intensify tinnitus. So, my wife, son, friends, and co-worker's don't really care that I play the background noise. As a result, my tinnitus stays low and often unnoticeable.

Medications/Sleep - Understanding how to use medications and getting good sleep is at the foundation of controlling tinnitus. Benzo's (anti depressants) provide temporary relief but it's terribly worse when they wear off. It becomes a bad cycle. Plus, they mess with you emotionally which makes it difficult to get your head back to normal. However, mild sleep aids (prescriptions), Melatonin, vitamin B12, and vitamin D can be a big help (a healthy nervous system is good for keeping tinnitus under control).

All in all - there's a lot to learn to with regards to controlling and recovering from tinnitus. Unfortunately, it's a process of learning and nervous system adjustment. You really can't rush it. I considered my first months of tinnitus to have been really bad times. But, I have overcome it and am much, much happier now. So, I come back to this sight to help those just beginning the journey in hopes that their recovery can be much easier and faster than than mine was. Remember, good days will be followed by bad days. Overall, it get's better season to season. Hang in there... what you are experiencing is temporary.

Great summary man! Doing well and passing on the good news. 18 months on and I would say that my T is so much much less. I notice new treatments being trialed which fills us with hope where previously there was just mystery. Strength to you! Davo

something i thought id share
View attachment 7572

Great attached quote. It is so true that how you view life or thing depends on how you look at it even if it is the same thing. If we look at things with the Positive Approach, even negative things can turn into something positive.

Great attached quote. It is so true that how you view life or thing depends on how you look at it even if it is the same thing. If we look at things with the Positive Approach, even negative things can turn into something positive.
Thanks Billie , I agree with you !

've used Xanax for 10 years. I developed severe tinnitus.After 2 months I started thinking about suicide,and it was worst part of my life.Suffering day and night ,without appetite ,I've lost 15 kg. I went to the hospital,and they gave me daily therapy that was so much better than everything I tried before.. Sulprird caps 50 mg 3x2 /Klozapin 25 mg 3x1 /Klonazepam 2 mg 2x1/Paroxetin 20mg 1+1/2+1/2 Amitrpitilin 25 mg 2x1.Now, I can peacefully sleep, eat and enjoy my life l do not take Xanax at all and everything is much better now.. Wish you all the best and good luck !!

Good for you that you find something that works. But I am just curious of the list of drugs you take. Are you taking them all at the same time (a bit scary list of so many drugs), or at different time of the day, or you are alternating them during the whole recovery process? Glad to hear that hospitals can actually help some tinnitus cases. I guess generally they will treat the anxiety and depression. The struggle with T is often mental. The less anxious and depressed, the better your prospect of coping well with T. Congrats.

Hi. I had a rough time this week following workplace issues - adults squabbling like kids. Tinnitus reacts to stress in such predictable ways - a post-it note stuck on my forehead reminding me that I am stressed. Logged in to get some good vibes about the T. Got them. Thanks.

I have been using neuromonics for over a year now. Positive results for me at least. Although clearly it comes and goes. But on the whole significantly less intrusive and bothersome.

I have come to appreciate the cynicism in many long term suffers attitudes towards "cures". However we need to remind ourselves that in first world countries people are living longer and with that comes more health issues including tinnitus. The treatment that offers the best solution will get the bucks. Consumers are far more critical and informed these days. So lets stay informed and hopeful and not resort to negativity to defend us against our fears!

If I didn't get tinnitus I would not have sort more fulfillment in life.

Take it easy when you can yeah?

that's the second time I've been out to the sea after my onset of T was really hectic at first but everything was good with ear plugs as u can see I'm wearing in the video , I do have a moderate case of
Hyperacusis to so ear plugs helped a lot but was bothersome in the beginning but still continued (sorry for low quality took from my phone ) I'll be off Tt for a while

LIFES GOOD

Two and a half months with intrusive loud high pitched fluctuating T. Definitely not where I want to be with it and has turned my life upside down, but it has showed me something.

My family has been so supportive of me. Everyone, my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. My mom has been so supportive and caring, she is willing to do anything it takes to help me with the situation I'm in. She has helped to make doctor appointments, has talked to people for advice, and has checked on me everyday and comforts me when she can. I'm 22 now and am now realizing how much of a truly great mother and great woman she really is. My dad also tries his best to support me and even said he doesn't care what it takes for me to feel better, he would financially support any type of treatment that could possibly help.

My grandfather sat and talked with me and I found out he has had tinnitus since he was around my age from being in the army and from being a hunter. He said to this day he hears 3 different tones, one high pitched, one mid, and one low. He said the first 6 months after standing too close to a howitzer, his head was really going nuts. He has lived a fulfilling life and became a college professor and still continues to hunt and travel all around.

My aunt called and told me to stay positive. She has multiple sclerosis, but is now in good health even with occasional symptoms from her illness. At first she lost her eyesight and couldn't walk without help, but after being diagnosed and treated with medication quickly, she made a huge recovery and ran in the Chicago marathon 20 years later. She told me if she can run marathons then I could get through this hard time in my life, telling me she knows I'm strong.

This situation with tinnitus has been hell for me so far but it opened my eyes to the unconditional love my family really has for me, and with that I can say I'm blessed.

I@demi. Hi- I am new to all this. I have to say that it can be hard to read about others' suffering, especially when I too am having a hard time. It makes me sad for others and sad for me and scared too. I want to be a success story. Wishing good thoughts to all of you out there.

Just want to say that everything over here in Norway is going great! Yeah, I still have T. But mostly, I really don't care about it anymore. I hear it right now, even over the music. Today it's loud. But I really don't mind! What a power. If I could speak with myself 2 years ago I would never believe myself.

If you are newbie, or just need to talk. I'm here for you. Just message me, or start a new thread and tag me!

My T was doing its thing loud and high pitch but I went fishing and did gardening projects. Yummy fish and fresh produce for dinner. Heck with T. Didn't give it any power or attention. Tomorrow my wife and I will be on a plane to Toronto for vacation and a family reunion. T may spike above the jet noise but life goes on for me. I am not backing down an inch to the T bully and go about enjoying my life with my folks. Will visit Ottawa, Montreal and have a river cruise. So exciting for the new adventures. Be positive and be engaged as much as possible with life. Live it abundantly to bury T to its lowly 'grave' where it belongs. It may take time to get there but keep your ship on the right course and you will be there if not yet. Cheers to all.

Had so much fun even though my T was very high pitched for days and my crickets did have some party in my ears. To my surprise - I can say my T is a 0,5/10 right now, the last days it was 4/10.Super strange! Oh well.. ☺️ My reaction to the reduction of loudness is more intresting because I felt like "oh okey, my crickets went to sleep" and I was not super excited about it because I didnt think T interrupt my life anyway. Peace and love/ nadine

So, a difficult day for me, on which I really need to focus on the positive. After a couple pretty good weeks, my left ear went bonkers last Tuesday and things have been somewhat choppy since.

However, I didn't let that stop me from getting breakfast with my wife, then we ended up taking a meandering 7 mile walk around the neighborhood, then we both listened to music and painted all afternoon. Now I'm looking forward to some delivery chinese food, then lounging in a sauna and sweating out all the MSG and beer, and then probably sleeping for 10 hours straight.

I find this condition exasperating and I wish I didn't have to deal with it, and while it does keep me from some things I wish I could do (like one of my favorite bands in town tonight), I'm not going to let it control my life...

Nadine,
Sorry you have had an increase in your T. I confess that is one of my fears. I am sending you warm, positive thoughts that your T simmers down soon. And I think we should all have days like @linearb. Chinese food and a sauna. Awesome.

Danielle

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now