• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus After 1 Hour of Loud Concert at Home (Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour)

RebelScum

Author
Mar 8, 2024
Tinnitus Since
02/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise induced
Hello. My name's Chris, and I just joined, as I am relatively new to tinnitus (3 weeks now), and wanted to share my story and get advice/support. I'm 48 y/o with no significant hearing issues before.

It all started 3 weeks ago (February 16, 2024), as my family and I settled in front of the TV to watch the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert movie. I had recently gotten a new surround sound system with sub, etc. However, I actually had it on at a pretty low volume at first. Then, the fateful mistake happened. My wife asked me to turn it up some. I thought, "Ok, let's see what this system can do!" I turned it up pretty loud (didn't note the dB level), mainly to sort of recreate that "concert feel" of "being there." I have to admit, it was a bit uncomfortable, and I was very foolish to keep it that loud. Nobody suggested to turn it down, so I figured everyone was liking it.

The only grace is that one of my daughters started falling asleep about 1 hour in, so we decided to stop there for the night, and watch the rest later. I can only imagine that, if we had kept watching the full 3 hours, it could very well have been much worse! At the time we stopped, I noticed the ringing, but I had experienced similar after loud concerts before, and it always went away after a few days, max, so I thought nothing of it, at first. But also, it has been years (10+?) since that has happened, as I don't go to concerts very much anymore.

It is a very high-pitched ringing; I'd say about a 5/10 loudness. It's constant and monotonous. Luckily, it hasn't stopped me from getting to sleep, and when I'm asleep, I don't feel like I detect it, so sleep is pretty much my only "break" from it.

After about a week, I started getting a bit nervous, but not too much. 1.5 weeks in, I read a bit online about how, in some cases, it never goes away, so I was really starting to get nervous. I started looking for an ENT, and made an appointment for the following Monday (this past Monday).

I want to the ENT, but ended up with a PA, not one of the actual MDs. Not sure if I should feel worried about that. He said I have a lot of earwax in both ears; he proceeded to clean them out, but said my left ear had too much hard wax, so I needed to use Debrox to soften it, so they could remove the rest next Monday. Then he said I should get a comprehensive hearing exam in 2 weeks (March 18). He also prescribed Prednisolone, a 6-day, 4 mg per tablet, set, which I started the next day.

That's where I'm at now. The next appointment is Monday with the ENT again, and I think that is just to clean the rest of the earwax.

It has been affecting my ability to concentrate; it almost feels similar to how you are when running on 2-3 hours of sleep, or after pulling an all-nighter. That's how "out of it" I feel, even though I am getting 7-8 hours of sleep most nights.

I, like many of you, have gone through stages of grief/despair/depression. I know it's early, and there is a chance it will go away, so I have been praying every day for that, or at the very least, for it to diminish some. I do feel like I am getting slightly better at dealing with it, but my mood about it seems to change back and forth.

I talked with my parents about it, and as it turns out, my father and grandfather both had tinnitus that never went away after they got it. They were both in wars (dad in Vietnam), and my dad got it from gunfire/explosions, etc. Somehow, I don't think I ever knew about it. I guess he just never talked about it; I think his generation generally were told to "suck it up" and "don't complain." Point being, if there is some genetic disposition to it, I must have it.

Anyway, now I am trying to be careful, and "baby" my ears. I gave up going to a musical show ("Book of Mormon") tonight with my wife, because I didn't want to risk it, even with earplugs.

One problem is, I work from home, alone, in a quiet office, so I guess I need to try to get some white noise/fan/something to ease the quiet so I don't focus on the tinnitus.

Is it true that I should not use earphones or earplugs, even at low volume? How is this different from listening to the same sound from a speaker, at a volume that sounds the same loudness? Also, is this advice "for life", meaning, I can never use headphones again in my life, without risk of making it worse?

Also, at this point, what advice would you give for me? I read @Michael Leigh's "New to Tinnitus, what to do?" thread; what should I be doing/not doing at this point?

Also, at this point, what advice would you give for me? I read @Michael Leigh's "New to Tinnitus, what to do?" thread; what should I be doing/not doing at this point?
Hi @RebelScum,

The advice that I have given in "New to Tinnitus, What to Do?" Is for people like yourself and I advise you to follow it. It is important that you start using low-level sound enrichment during the day and particularly at night, as explained in my post. Place a sound machine on your work desk during the day instead of using a fan. Try not to mask or cover up your tinnitus with the sound enrichment, as this can make the habituation process more difficult.

Make sure your earwax is thoroughly softened before the ENT removes it. Ideally, eardrops/olive oil should be applied to each ear, 3 times a day for 10 days before the earwax is removed - this is especially important when microsuction is used to remove the earwax. I have variable tinnitus which can reach severe levels. On 3 occasions I have had microsuction without any adverse effects. Before my ENT removed the earwax, I was advised to follow the procedure mentioned above.
Also, is this advice "for life", meaning, I can never use headphones again in my life, without risk of making it worse?
Since you have noise-induced tinnitus, I advise you not to listen to audio through any type of headphones, even at low volume, as you risk making your tinnitus worse, even after habituation has been reached. This applies to AirPods, earbuds, headsets, noise-cancelling and bone conduction headphones. Please type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts.
How is this different from listening to the same sound from a speaker, at a volume that sounds the same loudness?
When listening to audio through a speaker, the sound is dispersed of an area before it reaches the ear, this is completely different to listening to audio through headphones, because the sound can only go in one direction, straight towards the eardrum. It should be noted one still has to be careful of listening to audio too loud through speakers. Do not put total trust in earplugs; the reason being, if external sound is loud enough, it can pass through the head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction, which can spike the tinnitus or increase it to a new permanent level.

When a person develops noise-induced tinnitus, the auditory system is never quite the same, even after habituation has been reached. It is similar to being cut with a knife; the wound may heal, but a scar usually remains. This doesn't mean one has to be afraid of sound, but there are some precautions a person should take with this type of tinnitus. I have explained this in many posts on my started threads and advise you to read:

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? The Habituation Process, How To Habituate To Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, As I See It, Can I Habituate To Variable Tinnitus?

With time you will make improvement, just take things slowly.

All the best,
Michael

Is it true that I should not use earphones or earplugs, even at low volume? How is this different from listening to the same sound from a speaker, at a volume that sounds the same loudness? Also, is this advice "for life", meaning, I can never use headphones again in my life, without risk of making it worse?
This is a controversial topic and you will find many answers here. You also can search the forum for more posts about this.

There is even a poll here with some data.

Hi mate,

I just want to say either your tinnitus will get better, or you'll get so much better at dealing with it that it won't ever be a problem.

I know it's really stressful at the moment, but working from home is good to help the ears recover. Dale Snale's tinnitus masking on YouTube is a godsend, honestly. Just play that during your work hours.

Also, whenever you hear tinnitus, and you think about concerts, think of all the good times you had at them and the fun. Relate the sound of your tinnitus to good times; this helps the recovery, and your brain associates it with positive emotion.

Unfortunately, you won't find the answer to this question here, or at least not for yourself.

I have had mild to moderate tinnitus for 44 years and have regularly worn headphones without a problem. However, I had microsuction that made the. w I can't wear headphones. This is 18 months ough the night without a definite spike, I can't watch TV, and Itinnitus severe and sound reactive. Right now, I can't listen to later.

There are many on here who still wear headphones at a low level. These tend to be mild to moderate stable cases. The severe and sound-reactive sufferers tend to shy away from them.

It's early for you. You seem to manage the white noise through the night well, which is a good sign that it's not as severe as some on here who could not manage it.

Having been through this for 18 months and read more on here than I'd ever have wanted to, it may be best not to rush it. If you find your tinnitus doesn't react to TV, music, white noise, etc., and you can still go out without ear protection, you could go to a restaurant or bar, etc., it's a good sign that your tinnitus is stable and even if doesn't go, you won't be as restricted in life as some are on here, and you may be able to listen to headphones at safe volumes.

I don't agree with much @Michael Leigh says, but his posts seem to comfort new sufferers. He errs on the side of caution, which isn't a bad thing, but in the early days, it's best to be safer while the tinnitus is new in case, in your case, there's healing still going on, which could reduce it further or go altogether.

It's controversial because there is A RISK of worsening, simple as that.

It's your risk to take.
I agree with you @Jupiterman.

My advice not to listen to audio through any type of headphones even at low volume, is specifically meant for people whose tinnitus is noise induced; the same does not normally apply to people that have other types of tinnitus. Some people that have noise-induced tinnitus are able to listen to audio through headphones without their tinnitus getting worse, however things can suddenly change.

Type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read the posts. I believe the risk of the tinnitus spiking or increasing to a new permanent level, or the person developing variable tinnitus (this is my definition of a more severe form of noise-induced tinnitus) is always there, once the auditory system has suffered a noise trauma and the person develops tinnitus because of it - the reason being the auditory system is more sensitive even after habituation has been reached.

My conclusions came about after many people contacted me over the years complaining their tinnitus got worse after habituation. Through counselling I discovered the majority of them had noise-induced tinnitus. I learnt that most of these people tried to return to their old lifestyle and trying to be careful. They either returned to listening to audio through headphones, attending places where loud music was played, with the belief wearing earplugs they would be safe, then were surprised when their tinnitus spiked.

Some people were fortunate and their tinnitus eventually reduced to baseline, while others found their tinnitus increased to a new permanent level. If a person was really unlucky, they would develop variable tinnitus. This type of tinnitus can be ruthless and shows no mercy when it's severe. It took me 4 years to habituate to it.

I believe a person that has noise-induced tinnitus, is playing Russian roulette with tinnitus each time they listen to audio through any type of headphones or attend places where overly loud music is played. Do not put trust in earplugs, because if external sound is loud enough it can still spike the tinnitus or cause it to increase to a new permanent level.

Michael

You seem to manage the white noise through the night well
Just to clarify, if you mean white noise sound therapy at night, I have not started using white noise at night, or any sound therapy yet during the day or night. Still trying to figure out what I need to do. If you just meant the tinnitus itself, then yes, it hasn't interrupted my sleep habits yet.

On that note, right now, my main struggle is figuring out what I need to do during the day and night. It sounds like maybe I should get a sound therapy machine, not something that uses headphones/earbuds obviously. So I would essentially have some form of sound going 24/7, just below my tinnitus level? How does that work when you go out, do you get something portable and always have it with you, audible to everyone else around you (since you can't use headphones)?

Also, I was trying to figure out what to do when we go to church each week. They do have loud worship music; it's a big church, so even the preaching is amplified pretty loud. I've tried using earplugs, but then it seems like I'm just isolating everything else and focusing on the tinnitus. But without the earplugs in, it does kind of seem like the tinnitus level rises some to still be heard over the sound. No permanent increase, but I then remove myself to be safe. They do have an online stream, so I may just have to settle for watching from home on TV/phone at a comfortable volume level.

It has been affecting my ability to concentrate; it almost feels similar to how you are when running on 2-3 hours of sleep, or after pulling an all-nighter. That's how "out of it" I feel, even though I am getting 7-8 hours of sleep most nights.
I feel you, man. I haven't been the same since I got it, and it has only been over a year! And every single day since, I had been thinking how it would be if I didn't have tinnitus or hearing loss.

My advice is to give it time. I had a very bad acoustic trauma about 15-18 years ago. My ears were screaming with loud tinnitus, pain, sensitivity to sound, and fullness. It all eventually faded to zero after about 18 months. I suspect yours will fade, possibly to zero, but it will probably take a year or longer. It will be a slow process, so protect your ears from now on, and no more loud music.

It is a very high-pitched ringing; I'd say about a 5/10 loudness. It's constant and monotonous. Luckily, it hasn't stopped me from getting to sleep, and when I'm asleep, I don't feel like I detect it, so sleep is pretty much my only "break" from it.

I'm exactly 2 years ahead of you since my tinnitus suddenly increased where I hear it all the time over everything and started causing anxiety and insomnia. The tinnitus hasn't gotten better, actually worse, despite protecting from loud noise. Anxiety continues. I only get about 5 hours sleep still, and that's with the aid of Zolpidem.

If you're getting 7 to 8 hours like you mentioned, you don't need to play any semi-masking sounds overnight. I only do that because I would have even more trouble sleeping in silence.

As for semi-masking sounds during the daytime that others can hear, there are also in-ear maskers / hearing aids with masking built in. I've never used them, and some people have provided negative feedback on their use, but some people like them.

Wow!

@jjflyman and @RunningMan's accounts/predictions are the EXACT opposite.

The truth is one of the following will happen:

1) Your tinnitus will fade.
2) Your tinnitus will remain.
3) Your tinnitus will get worse.

From reading tens of thousands of posts on Tinnitus Talk, protecting your ears seems to improve your chances of fading, but it can take months and years for this to happen. It will try your patience if you take the 'protect' option.

Many chose to just get on with their lives, expose themselves to normal sounds, and tolerate their tinnitus, possibly with it worsening. Many will argue that this facilitates habituation.

There are very few people who have the same tinnitus journey, and this is complicated by the fact that no two people are exposed to the exact same sound or protect their ears the exact same.

Tinnitus is a very inexact science with a very uncertain prognosis.

You can read all the posts you want, trying to get some reassurance of what you're path will be. Ultimately, though, you'll need to figure most, if not all, of this out for yourself as you discover and learn your limitations.

Your father and grandfather probably didn't talk about the tinnitus because it didn't bother them, or if it did, at first, they habituated to it. After habituation, the mind ignores the noise and it's like it's not there.

At my first encounter, it took me 2 months to habituate. 14 years later (50+), my tinnitus and hyperacusis exploded, but I habituated after 2 years.

Recently my tinnitus and hyperacusis have become even worse. I'm going to have my nervus acusticus cut no matter what. Euthanasia (possible in Belgium) is not an option. My hyperacusis/noxacusis will be gone and tinnitus lower (Dr. Pulec is the man).

Your father and grandfather probably didn't talk about the tinnitus because it didn't bother them, or if it did, at first, they habituated to it. After habituation, the mind ignores the noise and it's like it's not there.
I was actually habituated to my mild tinnitus for about 20 years, but when it suddenly became severe, I dishabituated. Habituation isn't difficult with mild tinnitus that the vast majority of people have, which is why they don't complain, and I didn't used to mention it when I had mild tinnitus, either. I've also seen others on Tinnitus Talk say they were habituated and became dishabituated when their tinnitus increased to a severe level.

I was actually habituated to my mild tinnitus for about 20 years, but when it suddenly became severe, I dishabituated. Habituation isn't difficult with mild tinnitus that the vast majority of people have, which is why they don't complain, and I didn't used to mention it when I had mild tinnitus, either. I've also seen others on Tinnitus Talk say they were habituated and became dishabituated when their tinnitus increased to a severe level.
I know and understand that there are difficulties with severe tinnitus that make habituation very difficult or impossible for those who have it, but I do not think that this new member is in that category.

I would guess that a few here have mild tinnitus, the majority have moderate to advanced, and some have severe.

I know and understand that there are difficulties with severe tinnitus that make habituation very difficult or impossible for those who have it, but I do not think that this new member is in that category.

I would guess that a few here have mild tinnitus, the majority have moderate to advanced, and some have severe.
Right, I wasn't meaning the OP had mild tinnitus. That was about grandparents in general or the general public that isn't complaining out loud about tinnitus.

But it just happens that I was walking with one of my older (70s) neighbors this afternoon and mentioned to him for the first time about my tinnitus, and it ended up that he has it, too. And from the follow-up questions, it sounds like it's somewhat intense because he says he hears it all the time, and he mentioned not being able to hear the TV well over it and asking his wife to turn up the volume. But his came on slowly over many years, so he's adapted to it without having anxiety. I had talked to him quite a few times over the last year, and the subject of tinnitus never came up before.

Most of the people in this thread have one thing in common: their tinnitus was noise-induced. Once habituation has been reached, this type of tinnitus will usually remain stable for many years. However, certain parameters need to be met for this to happen.

Hyperacusis, or having some oversensitivity to sound, often but not always accompanies noise-induced tinnitus. It can reduce by itself over time, but if left untreated, by this, I mean seeing an audiologist that specializes in treating tinnitus and hyperacusis, it can cause long-term problems, which often manifests itself by experiencing spikes in the tinnitus, even after the person has habituated.

Some people believe spikes in noise-induced tinnitus are normal, but they are not. Spikes are usually an indication that the person has an underlying problem within the auditory system, such as hyperacusis or some oversensitivity to sound, that needs to be treated. This may require counseling with an audiologist and the wearing of sound generators to desensitize the auditory system. This type of treatment takes time and is not a quick fix.

Two of the main reasons noise-induced tinnitus increases after habituation has been reached is further exposure to loud noise without the person realizing they are putting themselves at risk. Please don't believe wearing earplugs will keep you one hundred percent safe because the tinnitus can still spike or increase to a new permanent level if the external sound is loud enough.

Listening to audio through headphones, even at low volume, increases the risk of tinnitus, which might happen suddenly or over time. It includes earbuds, headsets, AirPods, headbands with speakers, noise-canceling, and bone-conduction headphones.

Stress can cause noise-induced tinnitus to increase. Once stress is brought under control, the tinnitus will usually reduce to baseline. Some medications can increase tinnitus, too. I have personal experience of this. Once the medication was stopped, my tinnitus reduced to baseline. Switching to another type of medication can bring about the same effect, so it's important to discuss this with your GP/PCP.

For people who are new to noise-induced tinnitus, with or without hyperacusis, I advise them to follow my advice in my thread: New to Tinnitus, What to Do.

I wish you all well,
Michael

Wow!

@jjflyman and @RunningMan's accounts/predictions are the EXACT opposite.

The truth is one of the following will happen:

1) Your tinnitus will fade.
2) Your tinnitus will remain.
3) Your tinnitus will get worse.

From reading tens of thousands of posts on Tinnitus Talk, protecting your ears seems to improve your chances of fading, but it can take months and years for this to happen. It will try your patience if you take the 'protect' option.

Many chose to just get on with their lives, expose themselves to normal sounds, and tolerate their tinnitus, possibly with it worsening. Many will argue that this facilitates habituation.

There are very few people who have the same tinnitus journey, and this is complicated by the fact that no two people are exposed to the exact same sound or protect their ears the exact same.

Tinnitus is a very inexact science with a very uncertain prognosis.

You can read all the posts you want, trying to get some reassurance of what you're path will be. Ultimately, though, you'll need to figure most, if not all, of this out for yourself as you discover and learn your limitations.
Yeah, in my opinion, your chances of tinnitus fading are based on the type of exposure. My dad worked in a factory all his life, and his tinnitus was from YEARS of noise exposure (back in the 60s and 70s they didn't worry about hearing protection), which is very different from a one-time acoustic trauma of an hour or so of exposure.

So, maybe years of clubbing and headphone use is different than a one-time noise exposure?

Since this is the nerve that transmits sound and equilibrium (balance) information from the inner ear to the brain, wouldn't you have permanent vertigo as a result?
The person you are responding to is in a lot of distress with his tinnitus and hyperacusis, which is the reason I have decided not to reply directly to him as it may cause further anguish.

I have never heard of the nervus acusticus, but if this is the same as the auditory nerve, also known as the Vestibulocochlear nerve, which I wrote about in my thread: Tinnitus, A Personal View, not only will the person become deaf and have problems with their balance, they will still hear their tinnitus and hyperacusis, because the noise is coming from the brain - in fact the noise could become more intrusive since they will be unable to use sound enrichment, as they will be unable to hear it.

If I am correct, then I hope his ENT advises him of the risks in cutting the auditory nerve.

Michael

Since this is the nerve that transmits sound and equilibrium (balance) information from the inner ear to the brain, wouldn't you have permanent vertigo as a result?
No, because the vestibular nerves are not cut. Besides, they section vestibular nerves to eliminate vertigo attacks.
A vestibular nerve section is an ENT procedure where the vestibular part of the cochleovestibular cranial nerve is cut to eliminate vertigo attacks while preserving hearing.
Dr. Pulec sectioned the acoustic nerve in 18 patients with intractable tinnitus (caused by trauma). Only in 1 patient tinnitus didn't improve. My left ear burns constantly. It's the nerve; I have sensations on my face. That's why Prof. McNaughton is targeting the nerve with HCN2 blockers. Dr. Shore discovered abnormal activity in the acoustic nerve.

@Olly132's symptoms disappeared after getting Lidocaine injected in his soft palate. Lidocaine is a HCN2 blocker.

You get tinnitus from an acoustic neuroma because it damages the nerve.
The person you are responding to is in a lot of distress with his tinnitus and hyperacusis, which is the reason I have decided not to reply directly to him as it may cause further anguish.

I have never heard of the nervus acusticus, but if this is the same as the auditory nerve, also known as the Vestibulocochlear nerve, which I wrote about in my thread: Tinnitus, A Personal View, not only will the person become deaf and have problems with their balance, they will still hear their tinnitus and hyperacusis, because the noise is coming from the brain - in fact the noise could become more intrusive since they will be unable to use sound enrichment, as they will be unable to hear it.

If I am correct, then I hope his ENT advises him of the risks in cutting the auditory nerve.

Michael
I'm not in distress because I'm confident I will be able to continue a normal life after my auditory nerve is cut.

A deaf person indeed can have tinnitus and hyperacusis (still functional OHCs -> Wood et al.). A person can't experience hyperacusis after cutting the auditory nerve.

There are 6 tinnitus theories, you only mention one. Tinnitus can be caused by many things. Maybe look into the discordant theory.

Have you ever read Dr. Pulec's paper? Probably not, because it's behind a paywall.

When it comes to the headphones question, there are a few important things to remember about the advice given on Tinnitus Talk:

1. Most of the cases here are severe. People with severe tinnitus tend to err on the side of caution regarding hearing after developing tinnitus.

2. Many people on here have hyperacusis. If you don't, a lot of the advice given here is over the top.

3. You've probably been developing tinnitus (if noise-induced) over a period of time, and it's now at a level where you really notice it. Exceptions may be 1-time events like gunshots, explosions, etc. If you listen to loud music on headphones/speakers, it's probably been happening over an extended time. Headphones do transmit frequencies more efficiently into the ear, but unless you're a severe case, a decibel is a decibel.

4. I agree with avoiding headphones for 6-12 months until you know if it's going away on its own or is stable. If it does/is stable, there is absolutely no reason to avoid headphones at low volumes. Be warned, though: you can never return to using them at high volumes if you did previously. This goes for all sound equipment, not just headphones. Also, time is just as important as volume. Give your ears regular breaks.

5. We like to think we're experts in these conditions, but nobody truly understands how it works. Everything here is just opinion or anecdotal.

6. What works for one person won't necessarily work for you, and that person's tinnitus experience won't necessarily translate into what you experience, either.

7. The overarching conclusion here is be sensible. But if your tinnitus isn't catastrophic and you don't suffer secondary auditory conditions, you need to decide what advice you want to follow from here.

I'm not in distress because I'm confident I will be able to continue a normal life after my auditory nerve is cut.
Nothing is guaranteed and I hope everything goes well for you.
A deaf person indeed can have tinnitus and hyperacusis (still functional OHCs -> Wood et al.). A person can't experience hyperacusis after cutting the auditory nerve.
I have corresponded with people who are deaf and still experience tinnitus, although I haven't discussed hyperacusis with them. Again, there is no absolute assurance that a person who suffers from hyperacusis will have complete relief from their symptoms once the auditory nerve is cut.
Have you ever read Dr. Pulec's paper? Probably not, because it's behind a paywall.
No, I haven't. I say again: nothing is absolute, especially in medicine.

Michael

I have corresponded with people who are deaf and still experience tinnitus, although I haven't discussed hyperacusis with them. Again, there is no absolute assurance that a person who suffers from hyperacusis will have complete relief from their symptoms once the auditory nerve is cut.
I didn't say you cannot have tinnitus or hyperacusis in a deaf ear. It all depends on the cause of the person's deafness. When the nerve is cut, you can still have tinnitus (like a phantom pain when a leg is amputated, which usually resides) or because an acoustic neuroma caused damage to the nerve or surgery on that nerve. You can have hyperacusis in a deaf ear (still functional OHCs sending signals to the brain; OHCs have nociceptors).

You cannot experience hyperacusis when the nerve is cut.

OK, so an update and a few more questions:

Last week, I finally reached a point where I had started to habituate; I was actually able to ignore it at times and get back to a more "normal" life.

I ordered some Earasers earplugs (a relative with tinnitus recommended them), as they allow sound but reduce the volume. I got them mainly so I could still go to church (loud worship music, etc.). I got two sets: one -19 dB and one -26 dB; the stronger to use during the music and the weaker for the speakers, in case I couldn't hear them with the stronger one. Yesterday, we went to church. I put the Earasers in, and they did reduce the ambient volume a lot, but I seemed to focus more on my tinnitus sound, as earplugs pretty much usually make you, since the tinnitus becomes relatively louder than other sounds that might help mask it. Well, afterward, it seemed the same, and we left. It was quiet, and I took out the earplugs, but the noise of the tinnitus still seemed to take more attention than it had the previous 3 days. I'm not sure if it's actually louder (it doesn't seem much, if at all) or just somehow my ability to tune it out got reduced somehow. Now, I'm just hoping to get back to where I was before that. I may just have to call it quits on going to church; they do stream it online, so I just watch from home, I guess. So much for my one regular weekly outing...

Another thing going on is that my ENT referred me to get a comprehensive hearing exam that is scheduled for tomorrow. I am a bit worried now, after some stuff I've read on here, about whether the test will be safe. I read that some tests use a pure sine wave tone, which, in some cases, can actually induce/worsen tinnitus. And if they do make it worse, there is nothing you can do, as you can't prove they made it worse (or even that you have tinnitus to begin with).

What questions do I need to ask? I'm planning to ask if the hearing test uses a sine wave tone.

Should I be worried if they use headphones?

If they use a sine wave tone or headphones, should I call it off? What do I do then, as my ENT wants the results to see if there is hearing damage causing the tinnitus.

So what can I do? The ENT is expecting the results. How do we even proceed to finding next steps if I'm afraid to get the test?

So what can I do? The ENT is expecting the results. How do we even proceed to finding next steps if I'm afraid to get the test?
If it's hearing loss as a result of the acoustic trauma, he 'may' prescribe steroids, but it depends on how long ago the trauma happened.

Then, he will most likely send you to an audiologist for hearing aids.

I guess the question is, if they did find hearing loss, what do they do? Hearing loss can not be repaired anyway.

If it isn't hearing loss, he 'may' send you for a scan to look for a potential growth or anomaly like SCDS, but this is unlikely, as you know this was from the acoustic trauma.

Most of us have been there. ENTs do things by routine. We had the hearing test, and many (like me) got a spike. It proved nothing at the end of the day. I don't think I've read a case study where someone got a hearing test and it led to a cure—where many had the hearing test and either nothing happened, had a spike, or got worse.

You have every right to refuse it and ask for the steroid, request a scan, or try hearing aids (which almost always are tried before you buy). There is very little else to try, regardless of whether you have hearing loss or not.

Ears are fragile in this state. Just tread carefully. This is not trying to scare you but to give you facts. There are enough people who had the hearing test on here, and it didn't make a difference—you, though, are almost habituated. ENTs can't take away tinnitus, so the test is a little bit of a moot point, but being in a position where you've started to get on with life, it would be a shame to take a big step back potentially.

It's a risk with very little reward, so it's up to you whether you feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

The only other thing a comprehensive hearing test could uncover is unequalized pressure, which could be coming from a Eustachian tube dysfunction—but it's equally unlikely as you'd be experiencing ear pressure and other symptoms, and, as you say, you already know what brought this on.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now