Tinnitus News

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Damocles, Jan 29, 2022.

1. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Comparing different people (sufferers and non-sufferers) using EEG and MRI is a good analytical test, but I have never seen a test which takes the same patient who suffers with reactive tinnitus and then carries out an EEG (MRI is difficult as there is loud noise throughout the test acting as noise exposure) for changes in brain activity.

I have often thought this would be as simple a test as the ones carried out, and a before and after on the same patient may be more meaningful than comparing the activities of two different people.

Just food for thought.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I have thought this many times. The patient is their own control. Maybe you could put this to a researcher or clinician?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I reached out to a couple of clinicians who published papers or results on tinnitus tests which linked closely to my own experience (constant changes of tinnitus during sleep patterns) but rarely received a reply.

I will though go look through those who have tested using EEGs and suggest that am happy to be a test subject in this case as my tinnitus is highly variable daily after ambient noise exposure and sleep.

I will also suggest to @Hazel, who may be able to find clinicians on her travels around the tinnitus research globe doing similar case studies and tests.