• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

What’s the Last Movie You Watched?

Watched it Friday. The overall content was great, but both my wife and I were a bit confused by the storyline until we realized that it was flipping timelines.

Also, the closed caption started leading the dialogue, sometimes by a lot, which made it hard for us to follow. The speed of the dialogue also created a brain attention issue for me; reading the leading closed caption and then hearing the dialogue, while still trying to finish reading the caption, was quite frustrating.

Probably a better experience for those without extreme hearing deficits and tinnitus problems.
You were not the only one. I also had trouble keeping up with the non-linear storytelling too. I found myself having to rewind scenes 2-3 times, so I could fully grasp and understand particular events in the movie. Mostly scenes involving Lewis Strauss (played by Robert Downey Jr.). I think having some background knowledge about Oppenheimer and such would probably have made it easier to follow as well.

The quick back-and-forth in the dialogue is just how Christopher Nolan rolls in his films. Another watch is probably needed for me like with all his other films.

30-0822TaxiDriver_500x@2x.progressive.jpg

Excellent question @ZFire. I just have great taste in general. :)

You'll have to tell me what you think the other top two are.
Easy. Goodfellas and Raging Bull.

IMG_0906.jpeg

Harlequin (1980)

(I chose it because of the awesome poster, how cool is it?!)

I watched it with one of my closest mates I met during my film course; we decided that every time we'll meet, we'll go on an Ozploitation binge. (If you don't know about this genre, I just gave you fuel for an interesting Wikipedia read :wacky:)

It wasn't really *good objectively* by any means. Basically, it's a retelling of Rasputin in a political context with wacky mysticism. My mate and I absolutely loved how batshit ambitious it was with the special effects for the time, though. It was a super fun watch. Give it a go if you want.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

While it was fun to watch Harrison Ford ride a horse through NYC subway tunnels and stations, the rest of the film was so-so, and his (much younger) female co-star, playing his godchild, was all wrong. It should have been better as the 3rd most expensive film ever made, not surprisingly by Disney, which has been going downhill for some time.

3 out of 5.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

While it was fun to watch Harrison Ford ride a horse through NYC subway tunnels and stations, the rest of the film was so-so, and his (much younger) female co-star, playing his godchild, was all wrong. It should have been better as the 3rd most expensive film ever made, not surprisingly by Disney, which has been going downhill for some time.

3 out of 5.
How did Indy look in the film? Disney spent big $$$ to de-age him as an 81-year-old looks 81.

P.S. Missing you in the election thread, going on 2 days now. ;(

How did Indy look in the film? Disney spent big $$$ to de-age him as an 81-year-old looks 81.

P.S. Missing you in the election thread, going on 2 days now. ;(
The scene in which Harrison Ford was made to look half his current age was very convincing; I doubt that anybody other than a very keen-eyed expert would be able to distinguish it from 1980s film footage of Ford.

Indiana Jones (Not Harrison Ford the actor) should run for president.

The scene in which Harrison Ford was made to look half his current age was very convincing; I doubt that anybody other than a very keen-eyed expert would be able to distinguish it from 1980s film footage of Ford.

Indiana Jones (Not Harrison Ford the actor) should run for president.
Good to hear that Disney's money was well spent.

5BNjcyYjg0M2ItMzMyZS00NmM1LTlhZDMtN2MxN2RhNWY4YTkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY1MTg4Mzc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I finally bit the bullet and watched this after quite literally three years of putting it off out of fear. It was a nightmare come true for someone like me. I'm glad I did watch it, though, even though I was teary the entire time.

Paul Raci is awesome! I read somewhere that they were considering casting a more prominent actor for his role but decided to go with Raci, given his upbringing with deaf parents and his fluency in sign language. I'm glad they did go with him in the end. He put a lot of heart into it.

I read some more into the movie after, with some saying its portrayal of auditory devices isn't necessarily accurate and has a negative spin on it. It's not for me to comment on as I am not deaf or aware of how these devices are. But I feel like a movie like this had to be made in depth about noise exposure and hearing loss, as well as the struggle of acceptance with it.

If you are going to watch it, please be careful about having it at a loud volume. The sound design is fantastic in portraying acoustic trauma. Still, there are a few scenes that include ringing that spiked my own tinnitus even having it played soft on my phone :confused: I might even put timestamp warnings in later if anyone's interested.

I would love to see a movie in a similar tone about tinnitus and/or hyperacusis being made in Hollywood. It is not just a minor character plot point or used as an effect in action sequences, but a story surrounding it is similar to Ruben's. Seeing & hearing the character's POV with the noise in their ears, the struggles of appealing to doctors for treatment, and the world is inaccessible with the harshness of noise. I am aware of films like A Star is Born and Baby Driver, but I feel like this topic deserves its own dedicated spotlight for awareness's sake. Or at least to portray the very real suffering some go through with this in depth.

It's a depressing watch but an excellent one, at least! :popcorndrink:

I watched all 10 episodes of Shogun on FX. It was exceedingly well done, with great acting and action. Highly recommended.

I just watched Captain Marvel. It was released in 2019 and just skipped my watch list. I really enjoyed it; it has a good story with character development and excellent graphics/CGI. But the only thing that kind of blows it for me, just a bit, is Brie Larson's voice. She has a kind of too-immature sound to her voice rather than something lower than the octave range. It just seemed like Captain Marvel would have a more mature, projecting voice.

It might be just me, but the actor's voice is important to the overall feeling to fit the character/movie.

But other than this little quibble, I'd give it an 8.76 out of 10.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now