• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

What's the Real Difference Between Using Headphones and a Telephone?

As far as I know, one of the differences using telephone speaker, on-ear headphones, in-ear headphones and loudspeakers is how they create the bass frequencies. Loudspeakers move a lot of air with big drivers, while headphones take advantage being closer to the ear and can create bass frequencies by moving smaller amounts air very close the ear and inside the ear canal with much smaller drivers. Telephone speaker doesn't use either of these methods so it´s doesn't have much bass. It can be easily seen as the bass pretty much immediately vanishes if headphones are taken off from their place.

Last edited:
I understand why people are reluctant to give up their headphones. I used to take long commutes everyday on public transportation and my ipod kept me from dying of boredom. I also wore headphones at home when I wanted to immerse myself (but not the rest of the apartment building) in music. But now I ask myself, what's more important in the long run: not being bored stiff on the bus or preventing my tinnitus from worsening. I'd rather have music only at home and only from external speakers at moderate volume than have louder tinnitus. In the long run, I will have more enjoyment of music than if I make my ear worse.

But the current question is: If we avoid headphones, how do we deal with telephone calls? With landlines and mobile phones?

It's no problem to do without headphones in everyday life. But a refusal to make phone calls would in any case be a considerable restriction in social life.

But the current question is: If we avoid headphones, how do we deal with telephone calls? With landlines and mobile phones?

Landline telephone does not usually cause any problems. I have used a landline for 1hr conversation and had no problems. However, most of the time I will switch to speakerphone. Mobile phone I always use speakerphone. On the occasion when privacy is required, I try not to hold the phone to my ear longer than 5-mins. Headphone or headset use for anyone that has "noise induced" tinnitus, I advise not to use them.

Michael

I am tired to explain to the people in this forum, that you mustn't look to science for advice about tinnitus as the answers are not there. Listen to people that have experience with tinnitus and then make up your own mind. My advice to you is to be careful, of listening to people that have no experience of tinnitus or do not have "noise induced" tinnitus because they know nothing about the risks of using headphones.

Doctors are physicians not tinnitus experts. It is the people that live with tinnitus, particularly "noise induced" tinnitus that know the harmful effects of using headphones even at low volume. It is true, some people with NIT use headphones without any problems. However, as a lot of people have found in this forum with NIT and use headphones, the tinnitus only needs to spike once and it will usually increase to a new and permanent level!

Michael

I have to agree with Michael. When I got T. I struggled most of all - and still struggle - with losing my music while commuting and working at my noisy office.

During the first 6 months I refused to accept Michael's advice and I tried on several occasions to listen to my over ear Sennheiser headset again... for only one or two hours max, on lowest possible volume... noise canceling on to drown out external noise.

I can guarantee you that after one or two days, my hissing T becomes sharper and I get a spike (soft beep) which takes 3-5 days to settle. This was not coincidence, I tried it several times.

It was very hard for me to accept this but I have now.

Perhaps it's not the same for all of us, but in my case, Michael seems to be on to something.

He is only warning us, we should respect that and then decide for ourselves. Don't shoot the bearer of bad news. That does not change the news. Also, Michael does not forbid anything. You are free to do as you please.

And finally, I'm sure of all people, @Michael Leigh would wish it to be different too. I
bet he's dreaming of a day where he can put on a headset and put on some of his favorite music again.

I know I am.

But for now... for me... it's clearly not safe.

When it comes to phones... I keep conversations short and on low volume. Longer ones go on speaker.

Last edited:
Besides, I'm sure of all people, @Michael Leigh would wish it to be different too. I
bet he's dreaming of a day where he can put on a headset and put on some of his favorite music again and close his eyes.

@Pero1234

Thank you for your kind comments Pero.
There is no doubt in my mind that anyone that has "noise induced" tinnitus and uses headphones, even at low volume is putting themselves at risk of making the condition worse. I have corresponded with too many people that have used headphones and found their tinnitus has been made worse.

I want to pickup on your comment about me dreaming of the day, when I will be able to use headphones again. I think it will be helpful to some members, who have chosen to follow my advice and refrain from using headphones, but now find life unfulfilling without being able to listen to music through headphones.

I have been an Audiophile for many years and used to listen to my music through high quality headphones. I eventually developed tinnitus as I was listening to music too loud through headphones but was not aware I was causing harm. That was 23 years ago and I have never used headphones since and don't miss them in the slightest, and have no intention of using headphones again.

I enjoy listening to my music through speakers attached to my HI-FI/Audio system and get as much pleasure, perhaps more than when I used to listen through headphones. When one considers the risks and potential harm that headphone use can cause for people with "noise induced" tinnitus, the desire to use them becomes less as time passes.

Michael

@Pero1234

Thank you for your kind comments Pero.
There is no doubt in my mind that anyone that has "noise induced" tinnitus and uses headphones, even at low volume is putting themselves at risk of making the condition worse. I have corresponded with too many people that have used headphones and found their tinnitus has been made worse.

I want to pickup on your comment about me dreaming of the day, when I will be able to use headphones again. I think it will be helpful to some members, who have chosen to follow my advice and refrain from using headphones, but now find life unfulfilling without being able to listen to music through headphones.

I have been an Audiophile for many years and used to listen to my music through high quality headphones. I eventually developed tinnitus as I was listening to music too loud through headphones but was not aware I was causing harm. That was 23 years ago and I have never used headphones since and don't miss them in the slightest, and have no intention of using headphones again.

I enjoy listening to my music through speakers attached to my HI-FI/Audio system and get as much pleasure, perhaps more than when I used to listen through headphones. When one considers the risks and potential harm that headphone use can cause for people with "noise induced" tinnitus, the desire to use them becomes less as time passes.

Michael

Thank you Michael, I was not aware that you got tinnitus so long ago. It's good to hear that there's life for audiophiles without headphones.

I used to immerse myself in writing, video editing and photo editing for hours with my headphones on. After switching to my Bose Soundlink 3 bluetooth speaker I miss the full stereo sound and bluetooth compression always makes the sound feel inferior to my wired headphones.

Perhaps I should consider upgrading to a higher quality sound system in my study.

I think you have a point that having a decent system at home will decrease the need for headphones.

Now only that endless commute... :-(

I'm not sure if any type of headphone/earbuds would be a good idea? There is so much conflicting information regarding this, I know I would rather be safe than sorry.

I know that when I speak on the phone either through speaker or standard my ears feel tingly afterwards so I try and not use the telephone or mobile unless it's urgent.

Perhaps I should consider upgrading to a higher quality sound system in my study.

I think you have a point that having a decent system at home will decrease the need for headphones.

HI @Pero1234

If you are passionate about music having a decent HI-FI system is a must. Only then will you realize how wonderful and engaging music can sound. If you want to be thoroughly immersed in your music as you were when listening to it through headphones, then please read on.

Forget about solid-state amplifiers and buy Tube/valve amplification. An amplifier using 300b tubes/valves will surpass any solid state amplification for sheer musicality and enjoyment. These Amps can be expensive and replacing the 300b tubes/valves are too. If you want the best then this is way to go. These amplifiers come in two designs: Push-Pull or Single-Ended. Both have their strengths and weakness. These are the amplifiers of choice for the discerning listener and true Audiophile. If a 300b amplifier is above your budget, you could opt for tube/valve amplifier using KT88 tubes Or EL34. These amplifiers have higher wattage output and will sound better and more musical than most solid state amps.

Vinyl records (LPs) sound better than any digital format, whether it's CD, MP3 or WAV files. Digital cannot match the sound, warmth and musicality of a good Analogue turntable playing LPs.
The modern world in which we live times have moved on considerably. Many people including some Audiophiles, listen to music on CD and more commonly WAV files recorded on a computer and played-back through a Digital to Analogue converter or Network Audio player/streamer.

There are many speakers out their so my advice is to book a dem (demonstration) at a good HI-FI dealer and hear a system using quality speakers. Please remember, spend more of your budget on your source components. Whether it's a Turntable, CD player or Network player. Then the amplification and lastly the speakers. The rule of thumb: Once information is lost at the source it can never be retrieved by the Amplifier and speakers. In-fact, having a less than adequate source: to retrieve the information from CDs etc; an expensive amplifier or speakers will reveal the limitations of the source!

Don't forget speaker cables, Interconnect cables and Mains cable. All can affect the sound of a HI-FI considerably. A dealer will be able to help here. The equipment rack or table which the HI-FI sits on can affect the sound too. Also the room's acoustics can affect the sound.

When your HI-FI is set-up right it will "sing" beautifully. Audiophiles call this Synergy or Audio Nirvana. Close your eyes and you'll feel like you've been transported into another realm. The speakers will completely disappear and you will feel goose bumps along your arms and the hairs on the back of your neck will be raised. The music in the room will appear to you in three dimensions. Having width, height and depth. A good HI-FI system will allow you to pick-out where the musicians were placed when the music was mixed and recorded.

All the best
Michael

Last edited:
I think the main difference between the phone and headphones is the nature of exposure. Music is constant, and across many frequencies, and more likely to be "turned up" for enjoyment. A voice is staggered. Not constant exposure. Limited to specific frequencies.

I actually tend to listen to stand up comedy on long car rides for this reason also. I enjoy it at lower volumes than I do music.

Anyone who has read my posts knows I'm not into the fear mongering. I go to music festivals even.

BUT! I rarely, if ever - use headphones anymore for music. I find it fatigues my ears a lot, and quickly. I do use a headset for phone calls at work - and for the reasons outlined above, it's the same as a phone - I see the effect as different b/c of the type of sounds emitting.

I also use speaker phone every chance I get.

I have listened to people on the telephone crying their eyes out regretting they have returned to using headphones and there is absolutely nothing I can do, apart from being a listening ear and offer some words of comfort!

Michael
I wonder what is the least bad option.
My entire social life is basically phone calls, especially with driving. Now I have no social life.
Earbuds obviously are bad.
Speakerphone...totally useless while driving, if anything, it has to be cranked louder than the ambient driving noise, and my speakerphone is tinny and very caustic.

I wonder if over-the-ear muffs, either open or closed back, at low volume are such a bad option...especially if open-back and high-quality (no high frequency squawk), at low volume, is it that different from having a conversation with someone next to you?

My entire social life is basically phone calls, especially with driving. Now I have no social life.
Earbuds obviously are bad.
Speakerphone...totally useless while driving, if anything, it has to be cranked louder than the ambient driving noise, and my speakerphone is tinny and very caustic.

I do not agree with your comments but that doesn't mean to say you are wrong. I don't believe anyone's life is so important and engaging that they have to be taking phone calls while driving as often as you describe. My car has "hands free telephony" and the audio is crystal clear on the rare occasions I have decided to use it. I choose not to because I believe taking telephone calls while driving can be distracting no matter how good a driver one is. I was listening to a radio programme earlier in the week and I heard the UK government, is looking at the possibility of making hands free telephone calls taken by a driver while driving a vehicle illegal - I hope this comes in to law.

I wonder if over-the-ear muffs, either open or closed back, at low volume are such a bad option...especially if open-back and high-quality (no high frequency squawk), at low volume, is it that different from having a conversation with someone next to you?

Do you mean using "open or closed" headphones? I have expressed many times in the forum that it is a risk, for anyone that has tinnitus which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" to use any type of headphone even at low volume. There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" and use headphones without any problems. However, there are many people that have "Noise induced" tinnitus and have used headphones even at low volume and regretted it, because their tinnitus has increased and will not reduce to its previous baseline level.

There are people in this forum that have tinnitus, which was not caused by "exposure to loud noise" and are quick, to say using headphones causes no harm for people with Noise induced tinnitus. These people do not have NIT and therefore, know nothing about the condition. If you choose to follow their advice because they are telling you what you want to hear, that is your choice. Just remember, should your tinnitus increase then you will be the one in distress all by yourself with no-one to help you.

Michael

Last edited:
@OnceUponaTime

Thank you for the PM alert.

I have explained more than once in this forum the difference between using a landline telephone, white noise generators and headphones. Anyone that has "noise induced" tinnitus risks making their tinnitus worse using headphones even at low volume.

The person you have been corresponding with, has been disrespectful towards me on more than one occasion, when I was offering help and support to him, based on my years of experience with tinnitus. He thinks he knows everything about it within the short time he's had the condition. With this sort of arrogance he will undoubtedly learn the hard way, that "noise induced" tinnitus can be ruthless and very unforgiving to those that take it lightly and do not respect it.

My advice to you is to carry on and don't use headphones even at low volume. If possible don't use a headset either.
All the best

Michael
In bold, patently false and a disservice to the community to perpetrate this disinformation.
What Greg said previously. Its the size and frequency of the wave source, not what is creating the air wave.

I do not agree with your comments but that doesn't mean to say you are wrong. I don't believe anyone's life is so important and engaging that they have to be taking phone calls while driving as often as you describe. My car has "hands free telephony" and the audio is crystal clear on the rare occasions I have decided to use it. I choose not to because I believe taking telephone calls while driving can be distracting no matter how good a driver one is. I was listening to a radio programme earlier in the week and I heard the UK government, is looking at the possibility of making hands free telephone calls taken by a driver while driving a vehicle illegal - I hope this comes in to law.

Do you mean using "open or closed" headphones? I have expressed many times in the forum that it is a risk, for anyone that has tinnitus which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" to use any type of headphone even at low volume. There are people in this forum that have tinnitus which was caused by "exposure to loud noise" and use headphones without any problems. However, there are many people that have "Noise induced" tinnitus and have used headphones even at low volume and regretted it, because their tinnitus has increased and will not reduce to its previous baseline level.

There are people in this forum that have tinnitus, which was not caused by "exposure to loud noise" and are quick, to say using headphones causes no harm for people with Noise induced tinnitus. These people do not have NIT and therefore, know nothing about the condition. If you choose to follow their advice because they are telling you what you want to hear, that is your choice. Just remember, should your tinnitus increase then you will be the one in distress all by yourself with no-one to help you.

Michael
In bold, more anecdotal false accusations by Michael mostly on this forum. No scientific data to support this.
Michael may believe the earth is flat too.

If you want to have a more confusing conversation with Michael on the subject of NIHL and NIT, ask Michael what his definition of Noise induced Tinnitus is and how to determine if that is 'your' tinnitus 'type'. Does a single loud event define NIT?...like a person going to concert and developing T, or do 'all' old people with tinnitus have NIT due to a life long of noise exposure. Ask him to differentiate in terms of nerve damage to the cochlea, the different tinnitus sub types because he is so instant that it is NIT in particular that is problematic to headphone usage. His fantasy. Most older people with tinnitus have NIT.
Even Michael's 'category' of NIT is without any defined boundary.

in terms of headphones I own

sony wh1000mx3
sony mdr-v6
senheisser hd555
grado se80
slullcandy earbuds

the earbuds are the only ones I try to avoid.

headphones don't cause me problems at low volumes. as @Tom Cnyc noted, they can be fatiguing especially if mixing music at higher volumes, and if my ears feel tired I take a break. It rarely gets to that point.

HOWEVER

it has recently come to my attention that some posters here live on a strange alternate universe, that doesn't obey our laws of physics. in that universe, sound waves generated by headphones have "cooty waveform" elements in them, which will give your ears cooties.

this not only makes your tinnitus worse, it causes you to post constant long winded diatribes about the "right" way to have tinnitus, as well as constantly telling everyone that headphones are super scawy and evil

in terms of headphones I own

sony wh1000mx3
sony mdr-v6
senheisser hd555
grado se80
slullcandy earbuds

the earbuds are the only ones I try to avoid.

headphones don't cause me problems at low volumes. as @Tom Cnyc noted, they can be fatiguing especially if mixing music at higher volumes, and if my ears feel tired I take a break. It rarely gets to that point.

HOWEVER

it has recently come to my attention that some posters here live on a strange alternate universe, that doesn't obey our laws of physics. in that universe, sound waves generated by headphones have "cooty waveform" elements in them, which will give your ears cooties.

this not only makes your tinnitus worse, it causes you to post constant long winded diatribes about the "right" way to have tinnitus, as well as constantly telling everyone that headphones are super scawy and evil
Which begs the deeper question....when girls and boys discovered cooties. When each at a young age contracted cooties and thought the other was creepy...and then, at some point uncontracted them. So there maybe hope. The cooty waveform may be transient and not permanent. If that is the case, crank up the heavy metal.

PS. I too avoid earbuds but love my headphones...Senheisser open back FTW.

upload_2019-8-18_10-25-58.png

in my day, that genre meant "Guns and Roses, Slayer, Metallica".

that's all classic rock now, have you heard what the kids are listening to these days? THEY'RE BURNING CHURCHES IN SCANDANAVIA

burning churches isn't safe at ANY volume
I try not to listen to the kid's 'stuff'. You and I both know the greatest music aside from classical was created in our gen. Why? Psychedelic drugs of course.
White Rabbit...thru my Senn's right now. The incomparable Grace Slick...doesn't get any better:

that's all classic rock now, have you heard what the kids are listening to these days? THEY'RE BURNING CHURCHES IN SCANDANAVIA

burning churches isn't safe at ANY volume

If a norsk black metal church arson was a person it'd be pushing 30 though XD

I understand why people are reluctant to give up their headphones. I used to take long commutes everyday on public transportation and my ipod kept me from dying of boredom. I also wore headphones at home when I wanted to immerse myself (but not the rest of the apartment building) in music. But now I ask myself, what's more important in the long run: not being bored stiff on the bus or preventing my tinnitus from worsening. I'd rather have music only at home and only from external speakers at moderate volume than have louder tinnitus. In the long run, I will have more enjoyment of music than if I make my ear worse.
I wish I learned that lesson a long time ago among many others.

To deny yourself the joy of headphone listening, when all the while it was your tight shoes and not drinking enough water were the true cause of your tinnitus.

I wish I had not used the eardbud type. I have used the cheap earplug type foe years, never seemed to be an issue. I should have used the headphone type

I wish I had not used the eardbud type. I have used the cheap earplug type foe years, never seemed to be an issue. I should have used the headphone type

Me too. Avid cyclist. Rode everywhere with iTunes, Ipod shuffle and earbuds.

Who doesn't go thru life wanting do overs? Few to be had. Many have done much worse to their bodies. No owners manuals for humans so far.

Hopefully, therapies moving forward will restore some of our lost health.

Please know there are many that likely abused their hearing much more than you have with no tinnitus.

We can thank our parents for our predisposition.

Meanwhile I am listening to the genius Liszt through my headphones as I type this.
Yes, my tinnitus is present. The incomparable beauty of the music subordinates my T to its unimportant status it deserves:

And further solace for your soul spinnaker. Master classic guitar player Ana Vidovic plays Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tárrega:

Me too. Avid cyclist. Rode everywhere with iTunes, Ipod shuffle and earbuds.

Who doesn't go thru life wanting do overs? Few to be had. Many have done much worse to their bodies. No owners manuals for humans so far.

Hopefully, therapies moving forward will restore some of our lost health.

Please know there are many that likely abused their hearing much more than you have with no tinnitus.

We can thank our parents for our predisposition.

Meanwhile I am listening to the genius Liszt through my headphones as I type this.
Yes, my tinnitus is present. The incomparable beauty of the music subordinates my T to its unimportant status it deserves:

The lesson I did not learn from Mrs. Doresey in the 4th grade was "never stick anything in your ear but your elbow".

I try not to listen to the kid's 'stuff'. You and I both know the greatest music aside from classical was created in our gen. Why? Psychedelic drugs of course.
White Rabbit...thru my Senn's right now. The incomparable Grace Slick...doesn't get any better:

The psychedelic music scene hasn't gone anywhere ;). It's just not on the radio anymore.

To deny yourself the joy of headphone listening, when all the while it was your tight shoes and not drinking enough water were the true cause of your tinnitus.
we don't have to go tooooo crazy; I'm pretty sure that aggressive headphone use was, in fact, one of the driving factors behind my high frequency HL. I remember being a teenager, blasting Pretty Hate Machine until my head hurt...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now