• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

@Markku Is it now safe to say that Autifony won't be answering our Q&(A)???
I've followed up on this now.

They are a very small team and extremely busy so we'll see.

Thanks for the reminder :)

We won't get it in 2016. Probably not even 2017. I think 2018-2020 is a realistic goal for Autifony's pill to hit the market if all testing goes well.

Hope they will reach some fast track release in UK (if all goes well), as it is more common approval than in USA by FDA.
So optimism that it will be on the market at Q4 2017, or Q1, Q2 of 2018 is not unrealistic...

We will see...

How will anyone know? Some will say that it is working on the same principle of Autifony plus taking it earlier may help rather than waiting for autifony. Others can say that it alters the brain and may make autifony not efficient or so efficient. Just something to ponder but I fear there is no answer to this question but one worth asking anyway......
Trobalt is a dangerous drug but one that may save a life or lives cos this ailment is a killer mentally....and has effects physically too...
Yeah it's impossible to say. There likely won't be anyone that will have tried both until it comes to market, and even if Aut doesn't work for someone that took trobalt doesn't mean theres any correlation.

@Markku Is it now safe to say that Autifony won't be answering our Q&(A)???
I've followed up on this now.

They are a very small team and extremely busy so we'll see.

Thanks for the reminder :)
Autifony came back to me.

They have spent a lot of time traveling in the US, getting the Age-Related Hearing Loss trial (CLARITY) underway, and also back home continuing on the momentum of the QUIET-1 trial.

They will however look at the questions as soon as they can and provide answers to what they can.

I'll publish the answers once I receive them.

How AUT00063 works

Tinnitus can be caused by several different events (loud noise, toxins, infection) and the nature of the tinnitus can be very different between individuals. Research is on-going to increase our understanding of the biological mechanisms of different types of tinnitus so that new treatments can be developed, but it is thought that tinnitus caused by trauma to the ear (such as loud noise) starts with damage to the sensory cells and nerves in the inner ear (cochlea). This ear damage causes a loss of signal to the auditory system and the brain tries to compensate for this by increasing the electrical activity of certain nerves in order to 'turn up the volume'. This change in nerve activity is thought to result in the 'phantom noise' of tinnitus.

The new drug being developed aims to reverse this change in tinnitus-related nerve activity. AUT00063 acts on channels, called Kv3 channels, in the cell membranes of particular types of nerve cells. Kv3 channels allow potassium ions to enter cells, and they are essential for the very rapid and accurate electrical firing of a specific type of neuron in the auditory system of the brain. Altered activity of these types of neurons has been implicated in the generation of tinnitus caused by noise exposure. By using AUT00063 to correct the activity of these neurons, the clinical researchers hope to reverse this early stage of tinnitus development and prevent longer term tinnitus-related changes in the brain.

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org....log/new-funding-boosts-tinnitus-research.aspx

I thought Aut was being developed for people that have had chronic T. This drug seems like it's only aimed at people in the early stages of T (I know 6-18 months is what they are testing). How much hope do we really have for everyone else? Feeling a little sad reading this :(

By using AUT00063 to correct the activity of these neurons, the clinical researchers hope to reverse this early stage of tinnitus development and prevent longer term tinnitus-related changes in the brain.
This is a very good question indeed
I have been told and also let to believe that autifony is for chronic t...
and by the way chronic t - 18 months - it has already entered the brain....but trobalt works on people who have had it for a year or more even.......including 18 months and works on the same principle except is less exact than autifony on which channels it targets......

I thought Aut was being developed for people that have had chronic T. This drug seems like it's only aimed at people in the early stages of T (I know 6-18 months is what they are testing). How much hope do we really have for everyone else? Feeling a little sad reading this :(

Was trobalt only developed for the early stage of epilepsy ? I think the answer is No.

Hope they will reach some fast track release in UK (if all goes well), as it is more common approval than in USA by FDA.
So optimism that it will be on the market at Q4 2017, or Q1, Q2 of 2018 is not unrealistic...

We will see...
that would be a dream come true but I think too optimistic since phase 2b and phase 3 have to be done yet, then permission granted, then production.

My other question is, why aren't they testing acute tinnitus in the phase two trial? What if Autifony works for Acute T but not Chronic T? They might get stopped at phase two for something that cures acute T but isn't great for chronic T!

My other question is, why aren't they testing acute tinnitus in the phase two trial? What if Autifony works for Acute T but not Chronic T? They might get stopped at phase two for something that cures acute T but isn't great for chronic T!

First, there is still no precise line what is acute t. and when chronic t. starts.

Second, in their Phase II results, they will (or they already see) what are results of paticipants that had t. 6-8 months, and what are results in those who had 15-18 months. If there is big difference between those two polarity, it will be obvious that AUT63 is gonna be more helpful in early stages.

So, hope for all of us that results for the people that had it 6 months are same as for those who had t for 18 months.

So, hope for all of us that results for the people that had it 6 months are same as for those who had t for 18 months.
How long did Lady D have it before she tried autifony? as she described an improvement with it plus another chap reported that he also benefitted with autifony - how long did he have it before the trial? Interesting to find out....

Because if u test on less than 6/months u wont know if it was the drug or spontaneous recovery!!!!!!
I think Autifony are following a brilliant path, probably because Dr.Large is brilliant!
At 6 months the T is still pretty fresh yet it is highly probable that the body wont be healing itself at that time...

How long did Lady D have it before she tried autifony? as she described an improvement with it plus another chap reported that he also benefitted with autifony - how long did he have it before the trial? Interesting to find out....

AUT research team is obviously doing great job discourage participants to share information on TT or anywhere else...

I support that, as it maybe means that they have great results, so that's why they are protecting whole project...
Who knows..

My T sounds after two years the same as one minute after onset.
When my started, it sound like someone switched on an alarm system in my head.
So definitely something happened in my brain as an immense stress reaction.

I don't know why a drug should not repolarize the neurons after x years if it can do this after 1 month or day.
Of course it is some part wishful thinking, but if it works for brain T (what most have), it should work for all.
Think about your T and when you have low days. Your T is still there in the same frequeny. But the neurons are not that active. The goal is to calm them down again. Trobalt seems doing this to some extent.

I agree Martin, my T is pretty much the same as it was from day one. Low days the noise is just muted, but still the same pitch and overall sound. Why T is so unpredictable, is a mystery.

All this BS about T getting better with time and neuroplasticity, creating new pathways, is pure nonsense when you have permanent, chronic, intrusive, debilitating, loud T. What I hear today will be what I hear, 25 years from now, unless there's a proven treatment, that shuts down these pesky little neuro-transmitters.

Just wanted to add, at no point during the screening process do they ask what caused your tinnitus. So I'm not convinced it is just for noise induced T. If that was the case surely that would be part of the inclusion criteria ?

U may be right Gill, AUT63 is focused on stopping consecvence of t. (fake sound perception) that has been in the brain. So cause is not so important I suppose...

reverse this early stage of tinnitus development and prevent longer term tinnitus-related changes in the brain.

so anybody know more? AUT only for early stage or hopefully also for chronic? I thought AUT is for chronic??

This text above was from June 2015. Old/wrong information?

Attached (PDF) is a recent presentation by Autifony.

Some interesting information there...

1-autifony-competition-landscape.png

2-autifony-current-clinical-pipeline.png

Thanks @attheedgeofscience for bringing this to my attention.

Attachments

• Autifony Therapeutics_Company Presentation (Sept 2015).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
@Markku, thanks for the information, I enjoyed reading through the slides. I am now wondering how Aut will affect our ability to process speech, although, I believe for many it would be preferable to trade some processing power for silence.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now