• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Right? There is no way a Californian would ever eat that. The only way I can see that even being a thing is unless it's some weird veggie-health-conscious-turkey option or it's from the midwest or something. Sorry Midwest people.
I just looked it up, and it's supposed to be a fried bologna sandwich from a Reds game rather than the Bengals. But it looks like the concession stand forgot about the fried part.

Massive fan of Nadal here. Not just me, in fact, but my whole family.

He is without doubt, one of the most inspirational athletes of our time:

• Passionate
  • Respectful
  • Gracious in defeat
  • Humble
and
  • Utterly determined
So in many ways... the polar opposite of me... but all attributes that I admire and would like to adopt.

His career should have been over sometime around 2010 with Chronic Knee Tendonitis and Injuries. But he refused to let this stop him, and by combining the best in medical science with an iron force will and focusing on what he could do instead of what he couldn't, managed to reach this fete.

Guy is an inspiration to any tinnitus sufferer (imo).

So if you're struggling at the moment, just:

View attachment 48704
Couldn't have said it any better.

I've never seen anything like that.
There is no way a Californian would ever eat that.
I just looked it up, and it's supposed to be a fried bologna sandwich from a Reds game rather than the Bengals.
I think I need to make clear here, I was not knocking "American food" or suggesting this is what is typically served at American Football games (as the title above the picture of... whatever the f*ck that thing is... suggests).

It was the "blandma" comment, that actually made me laugh audibly at a reddit post (a rare occurrence), which prompted me share it.

Also yes, apparently, Cincinnati Bengals seat's are green, as @kingsfan has rightly deduced.

I think I need to make clear here, I was not knocking "American food" or suggesting this is what is typically served at American Football games (as the title above the picture of... whatever the f*ck that thing is... suggests).

It was the "blandma" comment, that actually made me laugh audibly at a reddit post (a rare occurrence), which prompted me share it.

Also yes, apparently, Cincinnati Bengals seat's are green, as @kingsfan has rightly deduced.
Yea the blandma comment was gold. But I just needed to figure out wtf that sandwich was because it looks terrible.

Yea the blandma comment was gold. But I just needed to figure out wtf that sandwich was because it looks terrible.
That reminded me as a young lad hunting with my father, he always brought these little cans of Vienna Sausages. Same colour, nasty tasting things they were. Probably possum and ground mice.

My first thought on seeing it was the same as @Shelbylynn's; that this was some kind of horrible new vegan imitation of a hamburger they were pushing at live events.

But I honestly never would have guessed bologna...

Since we're talking about food... I've been rewatching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (UK version), and I'm starting to crave some of these UK dishes.

@Steph1710, @Damocles, @UKBloke, please chime in here.

If you had to choose only 1 among each category, which one will it be?

Mains
1) Full English Breakfast
2) Bangers and Mash
3) Steak and Ale Pie
4) Fish and Chips
5) Shepard's Pie

Dessert
1) Sticky Toffee Pudding
2) Jam Roly-Poly
3) English Trifle

I never tried any of this, but I think I would go with Bangers and Mash and the sticky toffee pudding.

Blandma is hilarious! And I don't mind if you knock some American food anyways, there definitely is some gross stuff out there. I'm just used to seeing stuff oozing in cheese and cholesterol stuff, and tbh it's pretty tasty tho not good for you. So I was shocked to see that being served at sports game because most people who attend that I would think are the kind of people who aren't sooooo health conscious. Surprisingly. Maybe too many assumptions on my part.

Fried Bologna is *ok* but that is way too big of a chunk of it to taste good.

I just looked it up, and it's supposed to be a fried bologna sandwich from a Reds game rather than the Bengals. But it looks like the concession stand forgot about the fried part.
So it WAS the Midwest. Sorry again Midwest. I am disappointed, but not surprised. ;)
I never tried any of this, but I think I would go with Bangers and Mash and the sticky toffee pudding.
This isn't for me to answer, but I'm going to answer anyways because your question has piqued my interest, hehe. I would love to try an English version of Fish and Chips to compare to the California West Coast version! Also a Full English breakfast for the sake of it being a recognizably English thing.

So it WAS the Midwest. Sorry again Midwest. I am disappointed, but not surprised. ;).
There is some good Midwest foods. Though they are definitely not healthy for you. I enjoyed Primanti sandwiches when I lived in Pittsburgh. Illinois has Portillos and, of course, Chicago deep dish pizza. Don't eat Midwest Mexican though. At least when I lived in Ohio it was a no-go.

Since we're talking about food... I've been rewatching Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (UK version), and I'm starting to crave some of these UK dishes.

Mains
2) Bangers and Mash
3) Steak and Ale Pie
4) Fish and Chips
5) Shepard's Pie

Dessert
1) Sticky Toffee Pudding
2) Jam Roly-Poly
3) English Trifle

Steak and Ale pie for me. Being from the north, those dishes are often served with chips, but I've lived in the south for so long now that I prefer the southern tendency for creamy mash. Also, a side of either fresh garden peas or broccoli.

Dessert I'm with you all the way man. Sticky Toffee Pudding. It'll often arrive with custard or fresh cream. Personally, I love a dollop of vanilla ice cream instead hehe.

Since we're talking about food...

I would love to try an English version of Fish and Chips to compare to the California West Coast version! Also a Full English breakfast for the sake of it being a recognizably English thing.
Steak and Ale pie for me.

Dessert I'm with you all the way man. Sticky Toffee Pudding.
What you need to understand before I answer this @ZFire, is that I am a philistine where food is concerned.

That is to say, if I could eat nothing but chocolate, cake, hamburgers and pizza, all the time, without dying of malnutrition and heart failure, I would.

In any case, there are three dishes from the savoury list I would deliberate on, but with variations:

-The Full English Breakfast in it's traditional form (as described correctly by @Michael Leigh here) is something I have never liked. Instead, much like the stripped back version of Christmas Dinner I now enjoy each year (sans: Turkey/Goose/Chicken :chicken: and Sprouts :sick:), my English Breakfast tends to look something like this (as some of you have already seen).

-Fish and Chips, as in Battered Cod with Deep Fried Chips, I've actually only ever had at Michelin Star restaurants (because it's the only thing "uncultured" enough for me, on the menus at them), and every time I've received it, the Battered Cod has been riddled with bones :banhappy:. I think it was First Dates or something, but I remember agreeing with a guy saying he didn't feel like eating something he couldn't just bite into and enjoy, without worrying it was going to choke him to death.

Instead, growing up on a road with two Fish and Chip shops "wen' I were a lad", I would always have Saveloy and Chips.

sav.jpg

Which offers 0% bones and 100% deliciousness :joyful:. So give me that anytime.

But my choice would have to be:

-Shepherd's Pie. Not much to say about this really; requires no variation or editing. You just can't go wrong with a piping hot, traditional Shepherds Pie. I've never had a bad one. And it's great both with, and without, baked beans.

Hell, even Keith Richards knew you couldn't perform a full concert without having had a Shepherd's Pie!

As far as the sweet list goes, not particularly enamoured by any of them.

I'd settle on the Jam Roly-Poly as the best of a bad bunch; but I'd demand it be filled with cream! so that it may resemble a Swiss Roll instead.

But seriously, give me a delicious Cherry Bakewell or French Fancy made by Great Uncle Kipling, and I would make no more demands.

@ZFire, re Gordon Ramsay... when he first appeared on our TV screens he was that obnoxious I couldn't stand the guy. But then I became older and more irascible so really warmed to him.

There was one episode where some hapless chef had put about 15 ingredients in a broccoli soup. Ramsay grabbed the poor sap by the collar and yelled, "There's only three ingredients in broccoli soup: broccoli, broccoli, and fucking broccoli."

There was one episode where some hapless chef had put about 15 ingredients in a broccoli soup. Ramsay grabbed the poor sap by the collar and yelled, "there's only three ingredients in broccoli soup: broccoli, broccoli, and fucking broccoli."
Ah f*ck @UKBloke, this comment properly made me laugh!
@ZFire, re Gordon Ramsay... when he first appeared on our TV screens he was that obnoxious I couldn't stand the guy. But then I became older and more irascible so really warmed to him.
I'd have to say it was the same for me.

When the Ramsey train first started chugging, I refused to be a part of the audience.

I just didn't get the sudden hype around celebrity Chefs and some guy swearing every second word of a sentence.

Then in 2019 I started watching Hell's Kitchen USA and I realised, this guy is actually smart as f*ck. He's like Simon Cowell but better.

What confirmed this for me was seeing him on The Graham Norton Show coming up with these one-liners ad hoc:

Steak and Ale pie for me. Being from the north, those dishes are often served with chips, but I've lived in the south for so long now that I prefer the southern tendency for creamy mash. Also, a side of either fresh garden peas or broccoli.
Dessert I'm with you all the way man. Sticky Toffee Pudding. It'll often arrive with custard or fresh cream. Personally, I love a dollop of vanilla ice cream instead hehe.
That's interesting, so different regions will have slight variations to the dish. Honestly, the southern way sounds much more enticing for the steak and ale pie. I'll keep this in my mind if I ever decide to stop by your country.

So... only the Shepard's pie can withstand the wrath of @Damocles and his demand for properly made food. :D

Your breakfast pic @Damocles, what are those black things surrounding your waffles?
Then in 2019 I started watching Hell's Kitchen USA and I realised, this guy is actually smart as f*ck. He's like Simon Cowell but better.
What confirmed this for me was seeing him on The Graham Norton Show coming up with these one-liners ad hoc:
There is a tough love aspect behind Ramsey that I like about him when it comes to cooking. He's definitely gonna bust your balls in the kitchen, but he is always fair. He will acknowledge any strengths you have. If you're a newbie that asks a lot of questions about cooking, he's gonna like that. But yes the Dude is funny as hell.

Mains
2) Bangers and Mash
3) Steak and Ale Pie
4) Fish and Chips
5) Shepard's Pie

Dessert
1) Sticky Toffee Pudding
2) Jam Roly-Poly
3) English Trifle

Haggis and Irish Coffee.

So... only the Shepard's pie can withstand the wrath of @Damocles and his demand for properly made food. :D
Well put. I had never thought of it like this before, but then... I had never thought about it before (at all).

But I guess I'm as pedantic about my food as I am about my video games, and nearly everything else.
Your breakfast pic @Damocles, what are those black things surrounding your waffles?
So that is black pudding, or, put another way... coagulated pig's blood that has been fried on a grill.

Me and @Maria Francesca once discussed this. The 'puds you see in the photo are from Fortnum & Mason, so they're supposed to be the best that you can get; but they were actually very dry and crispy (which is not what you want at all). Ironically the best black puddings are the ones I buy from my local supermarket for a third of the price, and look much more like this:

bp.JPG

Well put. I had never thought of it like this before, but then... I had never thought about it before (at all).

But I guess I'm as pedantic about my food as I am about my video games, and nearly everything else.

So that is black pudding, or, put another way... coagulated pig's blood that has been fried on a grill.

Me and @Maria Francesca once discussed this. The 'puds you see in the photo are from Fortnum & Mason, so they're supposed to be the best that you can get; but they were actually very dry and crispy (which is not what you want at all). Ironically the best black puddings are the ones I buy from my local supermarket for a third of the price, and look much more like this:

View attachment 48740
I used to feed my dog that stuff :D

I used to feed my dog that stuff :D
Speaking of dogs. I heard they recently banned the breeding of certain of dogs in Norway citing health concerns as the reason. The English Bulldog and Cvalier King Charles Spaniels aren't allowed anymore due to hereditary/genetic problems that these breeds are known for. I wonder if other countries will follow too now that Norway has set a precedent in breed bans.

Source

For reference: This is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniels:

happy-ruby-cavalier-king-charles-spaniel-catching-treats-picture-id1134408994?s=612x612.jpg

Not sure why I'm posting this...

@ZFire, THIS mix of Mastiff and Great Dane is forbidden here too!

Probably more related to public health rather than the dog's wellbeing :)

I've been foolish and looked at cute dogs needing a new home just to torture myself.

He was not being taken well care of but is now recovering by a good hearted person who will have him until his health issues are gone.

He's 100 kg in the photo and STILL underweight...

Apparently he got an expensive feeding regime :D

It's good to hear that we are being a good example by banning unhealthy breeding. The mixed dogs are usually healthiest. And this mixed one is still a very good boy even after being mistreated. The add did however make an explicit comment that he can be LOUD :)

E9CBACCA-1D64-4501-9EC5-B85844F9922A.jpeg

Urgh, guys, I'm experiencing a pretty bad spike... it's really getting to me :(
It started after I went swimming the other night. It's that horrid intermittent bird chirp, but my other tones are louder too.

You always forget how bad a proper spike can be. I'm trying not to panic, but I'm so worried this one won't go away.

Please send love. I'm suffering...

Urgh, guys, I'm experiencing a pretty bad spike... it's really getting to me :(
It started after I went swimming the other night. It's that horrid intermittent bird chirp, but my other tones are louder too.

You always forget how bad a proper spike can be. I'm trying not to panic, but I'm so worried this one won't go away.

Please send love. I'm suffering...
I've had same recently. Started some basic sound enrichment, very low level stuff on the laptop, just to fill in the gaps. It's helped a lot.

Remember, the spikes do pass. Good days, not so good days. Then good days again ;)

I've had same recently. Started some basic sound enrichment, very low level stuff on the laptop, just to fill in the gaps. It's helped a lot.

Remember, the spikes do pass. Good days, not so good days. Then good days again ;)
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear right now. :love:

I hate not being able to mask. Usually, I can. But it's pretty intrusive today. You're right though - it's swings and roundabouts with this bloody condition!

I'm so glad I belong to this forum. Only those with these conditions really understand what we go through.

Spike, spike, spike please go away. Steph can't deal with this today...
I've been struggling since November and this month has been even worse. All the sounds I had are louder which is hard, but there is a new sound that is sucking my will to live. I practically had a mental breakdown yesterday.

I've been struggling since November and this month has been even worse. All the sounds I had are louder which is hard, but there is a new sound that is sucking my will to live. I practically had a mental breakdown yesterday.
I totally understand. This bird chirp I have, developed last August after my partner smashed two plates together. That's what started my pain hyperacusis too. The sound does come and go, but atm it's relentless - plus with my normal sounds amplified... urgh.

So, yeah, I understand. it's so damn hard. I'm a positive person and I'm struggling this time round. xoxox

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now