• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Maybeeeeee you can find a pair of noise-cancelling earphones and place the earmuffs over them. I'm not sure how well it would work. I know it does not work with Apple AirPods Pro's as I have tried. The earmuffs brush the microphone on the AirPods and creates a very nasty sound. But the shape of AirPods are weird.

Or go the opposite - wear earplugs under the noise-cancelling headphones.
Yeah, I thought about wearing earplugs under the headphones. It would be much safer. The problem is that I no longer feel comfortable when I'm using earplugs. I have ear pain and my tinnitus gets worse.

Yeah, I thought about wearing earplugs under the headphones. It would be much safer. The problem is that I no longer feel comfortable when I'm using earplugs. I have ear pain and my tinnitus gets worse.
Yeah these foam ones are causing pain and discomfort for me so I'm looking elsewhere.

Right, my wonderful internet buddies, I need some advice.

So, my new job, well, I hate it. LOL! I feel like it was completely mis-sold to me.

Firstly, it was supposed to be part-time (that's what appealed to me) but, they are already asking me to work five days a week.

Secondly, I presumed the job was going to be outdoors in nature and working on different art/conservation projects. But, turns out I'm just sitting in a little museum 3/4 days a week, serving customers in the gift shop - like wtf! Totally not what I applied for. I'm waaay beyond that sort of museum work. I'm a conservator! Not retail staff!

So guys, what do I do? Shall I leave? I've only been there a few weeks. I wanted to have spare time to get fit and work on my general health. I can already see that being there is going to get in the way. I just don't know what to do.

Please help!
Life's too short hon!

Nice headphones @aura :)

Good article too:

"Passive noise cancellation can lessen mid to high-frequency noises by about 15dB to 30dB."

So contrary to many people's beliefs they do an okay job on middle frequency and a decent job on the highest! Depending on whether they sit sealed around your ear, especially behind the ear to the neck there's often a glitch.

Putting some foam inside is also a great tip.

This is a nice add on for you when the alternative would be going without anything.

For example when you enter the hospital going to your office.

I would also drive with them if I had a better car and there were no motorcycles/ tunnels :)

However, the active noise cancellation do not protect any more than having it turned off.

You can try the difference while driving or having a faucet or fan running near by. Perhaps they're just as good without it??

And of course some people on Tinnitus Talk are convinced they got tinnitus from the noise cancellation :p

But you never know, might even help your tinnitus!

However, you might look TOO HOT with them:)

Perhaps it's time for a poll?

Sony headphones vs neon green earmuffs?

@UKBloke, @aura, @Wrfortiscue, @Exit, @Damocles, @Juan:

Thanks guys. It so nice to read messages of support. I am really struggling right now. I'm sure you're all too aware of how uncomfortable one can feel in one's own body. That's how I am right now.

So, hospital *cough cough* NHS were as useless as I expected them to be. They told me I have a breathing pattern disorder and I'm not using my diaphragm properly and that's why I can't breath. So basically I woke up two days ago and suddenly forgot how to breath - absolutely nothing to do with the fact I've had COVID-19 the past 13 days LOL.

Bear in mind, they said exactly the same thing last time I went in hospital with breathing problems after I caught COVID-19 in 2020. Told me it was nothing to do with the virus and I just wasn't using my chest properly. Anyway, magically, after 7 months, I must of remembered how to breath again because my lungs were fine - pretty much back to normal. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has fucked them again. But the hospital has told me the same laughable reason. I even showed the photos of the terrible leg swelling I have when my lungs feel really tight. They said, oh that strange... try having some chest physio... AHHHH! Anyone knows leg swelling is linked to lung and heart problems. I honestly despair.

I guess I'll just have to ride it out like I did last time. So, here's to a good half a year of breathing difficulties. (n) Thanks NHS, keep up the good work. (y)
Jaysus @Steph1710, can it get any worse. The COVID-19 shit left me with a cough that won't go away, but here's a good one to make you smile, maybe.
My brother in America got the final booster shot, 2 weeks later he came down with severe diarrhoea which lasted 4 days, doctor said probably something you ate. Then a month went by and he got diarrhoea again, same lasted 4 days, then again he got it, 3 times, had an email from him Thursday and he has it again. So to the doctor again, must be something you ate.

I quite often wear earplugs under my headphones - especially at my last job where people were constantly dropping or smashing thing by accident. I can't do it for very long though, because they make my ears hot and sore.

Right people, word of advice. Don't catch COVID-19. My tinnitus is so bad since having it, that I'm struggling to now sleep and concentrate on anything. I'm pretty distressed atm. :(

I suppose I've just gotta learn how to habituate again. Though this chirp is so bad compared to my other tones. But then again, my old tones were impossible to mask at the beginning too, so I guess I just have to give it time.

@Wrfortiscue, how the hell do you deal with the chirp? I need help.

Nice headphones @aura :)

Good article too:

"Passive noise cancellation can lessen mid to high-frequency noises by about 15dB to 30dB."

So contrary to many people's beliefs they do an okay job on middle frequency and a decent job on the highest! Depending on whether they sit sealed around your ear, especially behind the ear to the neck there's often a glitch.

Putting some foam inside is also a great tip.

This is a nice add on for you when the alternative would be going without anything.

For example when you enter the hospital going to your office.

I would also drive with them if I had a better car and there were no motorcycles/ tunnels :)

However, the active noise cancellation do not protect any more than having it turned off.

You can try the difference while driving or having a faucet or fan running near by. Perhaps they're just as good without it??

And of course some people on Tinnitus Talk are convinced they got tinnitus from the noise cancellation :p

But you never know, might even help your tinnitus!

However, you might look TOO HOT with them:)

Perhaps it's time for a poll?

Sony headphones vs neon green earmuffs?
The reason I didn't want to use the noise cancelling ones before was that I didn't know (and I am still not very sure) if the sound they generate might affect my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Is there one sound cancelling another or do you end up hearing two sounds, the external one and the one generated by the earmuffs?

Also, there are people complaining of dizziness, ear pressure and headaches when using them.

I haven't used them long enough to notice that, but it's interesting though.

Here is a possible explanation:

"Eardrum suck seems to be psychosomatic—there's no measurable air-pressure difference in noise-cancelling headphones (and yes, we did try to measure it). After speaking with some engineers who have worked on noise-cancelling headphones, we've surmised that it likely occurs because of the way some people's brains process the dramatic and uneven change in sound that happens when they turn on the active noise cancellation.The brain may interpret this shift as a decompression, and it tells your eardrums they're being sucked out, even though they're just fine. But the brain rules the body, so pain is the result."​

The reason I bought them was that I couldn't stand to hear the car engine sound for more than 30-40 minutes. And the Peltors weren't blocking those low frequency sounds well enough. I felt like I was under water or something when using them.

With the Sony ones though... it's pure magic. They block the car engine noise almost completely.

I don't know how I will feel after wearing them for 2-3 hours but I will keep you updated.

They are lighter, they do a great job blocking that traffic low frequency noise that my tinnitus is very reactive to, they look much better than the Peltor ones, the occlusion effect is minimal... I just hope they won't make my tinnitus/hyperacusis worse.

And there is also another problem,the lack of protection against sudden and high pitched sounds. But as you said, i could wear some earplugs in the same time.

8 euros for 1 kg... they also had cheaper ones (only 5 euros for 1 kg).
Oh my God! 5 euros per kg!!! :banghead:

Here "tomate bola" also called "tomate canario", the very round ones, not very mature (=hard as a golf ball, zero taste), used to be priced at like 0.70 euros per kg and producers discard tons of them in Almería. They just pour them into a big container by the road... this sometimes may be related to not using the right pesticides or products, the ones prescribed by the... Germans haha

Now that super basic stuff, tomate bola, is priced at like 1.50 euros per kg and over... a tomato that is only good as "decor" around salad, because it is basically un-eatable.

Other varieties are more expensive... "tomate de colgar", 2.99 euros. Monte Rosa like 3.5 euros, fake Raff like 2.90 euros, Salad Tomato around 1.9 euros, Kumato Tomato 2.25 euros, Blue Tomato around 3.8 euros... there are a whole range of varieties..

Also, producers usually label like Raff Tomato products that are not up to the quality...

All the branding and the creation of new tomato varieties is pretty new, a tactic to drive up prices insanely.

Those tomato producers who lived next to my place in Almería: :greedy: :greedy: :greedy: And they received subsidies to fix their home, because these people do not declare their income. It is all underground economy, black economy...

Right people, word of advice. Don't catch COVID-19. My tinnitus is so bad since having it, that I'm struggling to now sleep and concentrate on anything. I'm pretty distressed atm. :(

I suppose I've just gotta learn how to habituate again. Though this chirp is so bad compared to my other tones. But then again, my old tones were impossible to mask at the beginning too, so I guess I just have to give it time.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to ask you how is your tinnitus after having COVID-19 for the 3 rd time...

I am so scared of catching COVID-19 precisely for this reason. Well COVID-19 or any kind of virus.

I always end up with nasty sinusitis. This is the last thing I need but I guess it's gonna happen sooner or later.

The reason I didn't want to use the noise cancelling ones before was that I didn't know (and I am still not very sure) if the sound they generate might affect my tinnitus and hyperacusis. Is there one sound cancelling another or do you end up hearing two sounds, the external one and the one generated by the earmuffs?

Also, there are people complaining of dizziness, ear pressure and headaches when using them.

I haven't used them long enough to notice that, but it's interesting though.

Here is a possible explanation:

"Eardrum suck seems to be psychosomatic—there's no measurable air-pressure difference in noise-cancelling headphones (and yes, we did try to measure it). After speaking with some engineers who have worked on noise-cancelling headphones, we've surmised that it likely occurs because of the way some people's brains process the dramatic and uneven change in sound that happens when they turn on the active noise cancellation.The brain may interpret this shift as a decompression, and it tells your eardrums they're being sucked out, even though they're just fine. But the brain rules the body, so pain is the result."​

The reason I bought them was that I couldn't stand to hear the car engine sound for more than 30-40 minutes. And the Peltors weren't blocking those low frequency sounds well enough. I felt like I was under water or something when using them.

With the Sony ones though... it's pure magic. They block the car engine noise almost completely.

I don't know how I will feel after wearing them for 2-3 hours but I will keep you updated.

They are lighter, they do a great job blocking that traffic low frequency noise that my tinnitus is very reactive to, they look much better than the Peltor ones, the occlusion effect is minimal... I just hope they won't make my tinnitus/hyperacusis worse.

And there is also another problem,the lack of protection against sudden and high pitched sounds. But as you said, i could wear some earplugs in the same time.
So they block the car only with the noise cancellation on?

I had some cheap ones before my ear trouble and they made a very hear able white noise to camouflage the surroundings :D

White noise therapy?? :)

I'm gonna get rid of this spike or die trying.

This time, Bucuria sweets from Chișinău. :rolleyes:

IMAG1272~2.jpg

Sorry you're going through this but hoping your tinnitus baselines sooner than later. As for how I deal with the chirp, it's intermittent. I get it when my tinnitus ramps up from my hyperacusis but it lasts hours maybe every other day. It sucks and I think it's just very high frequency zapping. I can handle all my tones, even the grinder shocking one but it's annoying AF. Sorry I don't have any advice to give you other than we all endure this crap and USUALLY come out the other side better again. You've been through a lot and have overcome so much, this is just another obstacle. (y)

By the way, did you get vaccinated?

Can't you drive with earplugs on?

I had some cheap ones before my ear trouble and they made a very hear able white noise to camouflage the surroundings :D

Yeah, the noise cancelling feature reduces the engine sound A LOT.

The headphones only don't block the sound like Peltor earmuffs.

They make a little bit of white noise. No two brands are the same. Bose and Sony are supposed to be the best in terms of noise-cancellation.

@aura, you need to enter into the custom-molded earplug club. You'll be feeling really good with those under your headphones.

She had 3 shots, and apparently COVID-19 3 times :D

Did you take any Juan? :)
No, I did not get vaccinated.

I asked because what I see around me here in Spain is really random... among close friends and acquaintances some people had a very bad time with COVID-19 after getting vaccinated. Others were ok despite they did not get the vaccine. Others died, before the vaccine appeared. Others spent time at the ICU but recovered (pre-vaccine times).

Does it reduce the sound more than Peltor earmuffs?
There is no comparison, trust me.

Maybe my Peltors are not the best, maybe my car is too loud and makes a specific low frequency sound that I'm extra sensitive to, I have no idea.

When i put my Peltors on I feel like I am under water. It's almost like I hear low frequency sounds even louder than they actually are.

With the Sony headphones the car engine noise disappears almost completely.

They don't block everything, you can still hear people talking but their voices are somehow softer.

The same with airplanes.

If you hear a plane flying and you are talking to someone in the same time, with the headphones on you can still hear the person talking pretty clearly but the plane sound will disappear almost completely.

It's something you have to try to understand.

I think it depends from person to person and maybe I have a specific problem with some of the low frequency sounds.

Another thing I don't like about the Peltors is that because the occlusion effect I can hear my footsteps and it's pretty annoying. Also I can hear my tinnitus louder. This is not the case with the Sony ones.

I don't think they are good though when it comes to sirens, dogs barking, honking, screaming children. And this is very important because all these sounds can cause acoustic trauma.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now