• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

I'm having a rough day with my tinnitus. I had some terrible fleeting tinnitus in my left ear, and now that ear is just ringing at a volume I've never experienced, and it is reactive. I was also having some pulsatile tinnitus, like a whooshing with my heartbeat, which I've never experienced before... but that has stopped as of now. It all started when I ran my fingers through my hair. It's really weird and terrible.
Same here. It's insane. Loud morse code in my bad ear, subway brakes in my former good ear, bilateral static and constantly changing. Now chimes on top.

I'm having a rough day with my tinnitus. I had some terrible fleeting tinnitus in my left ear, and now that ear is just ringing at a volume I've never experienced, and it is reactive. I was also having some pulsatile tinnitus, like a whooshing with my heartbeat, which I've never experienced before... but that has stopped as of now. It all started when I ran my fingers through my hair. It's really weird and terrible.
I wish I knew what to tell you. I had hopes things would get better but it seems some of us progress like a nasty disease. I haven't figured it out.

Stress, inflammation, physical damage who knows.

Yes, good things must come to an end... :)

Also, just to make it clear, this was not intended to be a dig (at you). I hope it didn't come across like that.
Oh, no problem, I know that.

To be honest I feel so bad now that you or anybody else could tell me anything and I wouldn't care.

All I want is to feel better.

Welcome.

You kinda missed the fun part. :)
Ah I dunno about that. Give it time... ;)

Hope you feel better soon. I had a real sh*t night the other night. The old crickets masking didn't work - tinnitus and hyperacusis all over the place, and I was lying in bed thinking, damnit not getting to sleep is fricking horrible.

So changed tactic and went back to standard white noise masking (that I'd not used in ages on account of it irritating my ears). This time it work well though and I was asleep about 10 minutes later.

Got to try and find a few tactics to help navigate the 'waters of ring'.

Same here. It's insane. Loud morse code in my bad ear, subway brakes in my former good ear, bilateral static and constantly changing. Now chimes on top.
@aura, @kingsfan, sorry you're both suffering so much at the moment. I'm in exactly the same boat. My tinnitus is all over the place. Loads of static like you @aura, raised pulsatile tinnitus, loud bird chirp. I'm still losing sleep because the sound is too loud to relax - no sounds will mask it, and it appears to be reactive. Lots of fleeting tinnitus like you mentioned @kingsfan. My ears have gone haywire since COVID-19.

@aura, you've gotten through some super tough episodes before, so I'm sure you'll get through this one as well - I know how scary it can be. I remember having 9/10 tinnitus and I wanted to die. It eventually subsided to a more manageable level. I'm sending you all my wishes and love from grey old England.

@kingsfan, the same goes to you. Sending love. Also, yeah, the hand running through hair giving you pulsatile tinnitus is just so strange. You don't have it any other times, do you?

Do you have any idea of what might have caused this?
I'm thinking that maybe because of the noise-cancelling headphones. Even though the spike began before using them.

I used them for 2 or 3 days and I felt very good... I don't know what to believe anymore.

Hi @Shizune, how's you ears doing?
My volume meter continues to reach levels I didn't think were humanly possible. Being bombarded by motorcycles and trucks turning corners every day doesn't help. Just gets worse and worse. And I've been so frustrated dealing with the "experts" that ignore everything I tell them.

audiologists be like.png

I'm thinking that maybe because of the noise-cancelling headphones. Even though the spike began before using them.

I used them for 2 or 3 days and I felt very good... I don't know what to believe anymore.
It's just fucking crazy. I can't believe what we have to deal with. Hope you feel better soon.

This... I'm lost. I don't know what direction to take anymore. Before I can even come up with a plan, my tinnitus changes habits and behaviors and it's getting to me. Sucks butt.

Still I'll "lol" lol.

This... I'm lost. I don't know what direction to take anymore. Before I can even come up with a plan, my tinnitus changes habits and behaviors and it's getting to me. Sucks butt.

Still I'll "lol" lol.
I remember when my tinnitus first became bad (which was a cakewalk compared to what I have going on now), I tried using my Bose noise-cancelling headphones for meetings and it just made my tinnitus feel so terrible every time.

Noise-cancelling definitely messes with your brain. Many people, myself included, report that noise cancellation makes their ears feel full or off balance. This is all psychosomatic though, so I definitely think it can mess with your tinnitus even though it will not damage your hearing.

29 April, 6:45 a.m., the wife opens the door to let the cat out. What does she hear? The long waiting of the cuckoo bird, it must have been in the tree next to the house, sounding its cuckoo. And just like that it was gone. Across the valley into the forest, we can still hear it though, what a sound they make, so calming to hear.

Bose noise-cancelling headphones for meetings and it just made my tinnitus feel
Did it happen right after using the headphones or was it a delayed spike?
Many people, myself included, report that noise cancellation makes their ears feel full or off balance.
I didn't have this problem. As I said, I felt very comfortable using them.

Bought them only for the car but realised that I felt better with them than with my Peltors especially in high traffic areas.

I wish I knew what to tell you. I had hopes things would get better but it seems some of us progress like a nasty disease. I haven't figured it out.

Stress, inflammation, physical damage who knows.
So true. I have been on this site on and off for many ears. I've seen so many people come and go. Presumably they got better or habituated and have moved on with their lives. And then, there's us. We just seem to keep getting worse. And it's not like we're out there exposing our ears or being irresponsible. No truer statement has ever been made than that of "life isn't fair."

I remember when my tinnitus first became bad (which was a cakewalk compared to what I have going on now), I tried using my Bose noise-cancelling headphones for meetings and it just made my tinnitus feel so terrible every time.

Noise-cancelling definitely messes with your brain. Many people, myself included, report that noise cancellation makes their ears feel full or off balance. This is all psychosomatic though, so I definitely think it can mess with your tinnitus even though it will not damage your hearing.
Quick question: Do you have SNHL?

So true. I have been on this site on and off for many ears. I've seen so many people come and go. Presumably they got better or habituated and have moved on with their lives. And then, there's us. We just seem to keep getting worse. And it's not like we're out there exposing our ears or being irresponsible. No truer statement has ever been made than that of "life isn't fair."
I am one of those members. It's not that the tinnitus and (pain) hyperacusis gets better, I personally just tend to get used to the noise. At times it felt to me that constantly reading about it made it worse. Eventually I just moved on, there is no cure and the outside world just doesn't care as they cannot see the noise and pain in our minds.

I have lots of sympathy for all who suffer with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I myself just found that reading about it started doing me more bad than good. I usually now just come on here when I get an email from Tinnitus Talk about something that interests me.

As far as my tinnitus, it's just as bad as it has always been, the hyperacusis gets to me at times, but I've had to also just accept that I can never again live the life I used, playing music with other musicians etc. The worst part is the pain hyperacusis, if I only had the tinnitus I would probably never even mention to anyone I have tinnitus. In the begging it got me extremely suicidal, the thought of knowing I can never again experience silence.

By the grace of God I can now cope with it and just cut it out at times.

Did it happen right after using the headphones or was it a delayed spike?

I didn't have this problem. As I said, I felt very comfortable using them.

Bought them only for the car but realised that I felt better with them than with my Peltors especially in high traffic areas.
It would spike while using them. Did you say you were already spiking before you started using them though?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now