• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Yes, I was spiking before but it wasn't that bad.

I didn't spike while using them. I used them pretty much for 2 days.
Maybe since you were wearing only the headphones, it left you susceptible to frequencies that the noise-cancellation couldn't phase out that were normally blocked by your muffs. I think you should consider wearing earplugs under the headphones.

At first I thought it might be high-frequency hearing loss, but tones in the 4-6 kHz range started up so I'm assuming it must be synapse damage or something?
Seems in many cases it's all a flipping mystery. I'm seeing my ENT on Monday but interesting thing happened today. I yawned and for once both my Eustachian tubes opened. It was like the whole world was in stereo. I think I'm walking around with conductive hearing loss and not realizing it because I'm always perpetually stuffed up due to chronic allergies. I have an allergy to seasonal allergies but also to dust mites. I have a very large home and it's very difficult to stay on top of the dust.

Maybe since you were wearing only the headphones, it left you susceptible to frequencies that the noise-cancellation couldn't phase out that were normally blocked by your muffs. I think you should consider wearing earplugs under the headphones.
Well I'm wondering if that "anti-noise" ended up hurting my ears like an acoustic trauma does.

I get your point of view but I don't feel the environment was dominated by high frequencies when I wore them.

Well I'm wondering if that "anti-noise" ended up hurting my ears like an acoustic trauma does.
I don't think so. It should be sending out an inverted wave of whatever it picks up... but you never know. I think they are also bad at phasing out mid frequencies. I don't know if that changes your opinion about your environment. I'm just hoping it was another factor and not headphones since they were helping you so much.

Hi @Forever hopeful, I have SSNHL, the first S stands for sudden. A sudden shot to the head turning one's life upside down and leaving me with lots of hearing loss and tinnitus. I just touched wood, I've come a long way and am grateful for where I am now... touching wood again.

@Andrei88 summed up where I am at, hi Andrei88.

Hey @aura, you're gonna kill me... I wouldn't wear those headphones, probably because of PTSD and not wanting anything electronic around my ears. Superstitious on my part.

On another note, I never told you how much I liked your kitchen and the stove with the three ducts, exhaust for heating, coming out of it. Kick ass craftsmanship, awesome stove, and nice wood molding around a massive window. You posted a picture ages ago of a kitchen that caught my eye. I built my house and get off on stuff like that, amongst other things.

Take care of yourself.

On another note, I never told you how much I liked your kitchen and the stove with the three ducts, exhaust for heating, coming out of it. Kick ass craftsmanship, awesome stove, and nice wood molding around a massive window. You posted a picture ages ago of a kitchen that caught my eye. I built my house and get off on stuff like that, amongst other things.
The picture of me with the walker was even better, but yeah, the kitchen one was cool too. I'm very good at crafting and built that kitchen from scratch! :cool:

Just kidding, I don't think I ever posted a picture of my kitchen, I think you've mistaken me for someone else :p

Hi @aura, it was this. A different photo but same room. I remembered the stove but not the crazy chick cooking. My brain had turned the room into something out of architectural digest, or some posh interior design image. Looking at it now, it's more humble and cozy. A perfect place for family, being with a friend or loved one's and an awesome lady like yourself. Take care aura and have a great day.

just got a haircut without plugs. clippers were fairly loud next to my ears... wasnt sure what to do lol
Probably had five haircuts without plugs since 2009 @Wrfortiscue.

4/5 using just scissors. Only one with clippers.

The one using clippers was too loud for me, and left me with a few days long spike.

That said, I've had my head fully shaved/clippered a couple times now the last two years, but always with (foam) earplugs in, and it's resulted in no issues.

Probably had five haircuts without plugs since 2009 @Wrfortiscue.

4/5 using just scissors. Only one with clippers.

The one using clippers was too loud for me, and left me with a few days long spike.

That said, I've had my head fully shaved/clippered a couple times now the last two years, but always with (foam) earplugs in, and it's resulted in no issues.
Yeah I didn't use earplugs because of occlusion but it seems there were longer periods of loud noise near my ears. I'm not spiked YET.

Hi @aura, it was this. A different photo but same room. I remembered the stove but not the crazy chick cooking. My brain had turned the room into something out of architectural digest, or some posh interior design image. Looking at it now, it's more humble and cozy. A perfect place for family, being with a friend or loved one's and an awesome lady like yourself. Take care aura and have a great day.
Oh, that...

Not my kitchen, not my house, not my hair. :)

You have a great day too. Tinnitus free, of course.

Yeah I didn't use earplugs because of occlusion but it seems there were longer periods of loud noise near my ears. I'm not spiked YET.
If it's a choice between exposure through external noise, or exposure through occlusion, always pick the occlusion (imo). To date, no amount has done me any real harm.

Oi @Shizune, how do you get to be a medical-nin of jōnin rank, without ever having figured out how to cure yourself of tinnitus?

shizune.jpg

Oh, that...

Not my kitchen, not my house, not my hair. :)

You have a great day too. Tinnitus free, of course.
For F sake, I belong in the 19th century.

I always hear my tinnitus 24/7 so being free from it would be a miracle. Anything is possible.

You take care too friend!!!

See you soon.

I get haircuts without wearing earplugs.

However, I did wear half-inserted earplugs for my visit to the dentist, when they had to use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove attachments in my teeth... the dentist was bad. I regret having started Invisalign.

So for me there is not a great solution to noise that goes through bone conduction when the source of noise is touching one's head, hair etc... it's choosing between two bad scenarios, with or without earplugs.

As far as my tinnitus, it's just as bad as it has always been, the hyperacusis gets to me at times, but I've had to also just accept that I can never again live the life I used, playing music with other musicians etc. The worst part is the pain hyperacusis, if I only had the tinnitus I would probably never even mention to anyone I have tinnitus. In the begging it got me extremely suicidal, the thought of knowing I can never again experience silence.
Did your hyperacusis change in any way? Got better / worse, turned into hearing loss or more tinnitus?

Has anyone here been in a relationship with a narcissist? Can they change I wonder?

A narcissist needs constant affirmation that they are in control. When a relationship runs well, when everything is bliss, that's when narcissists begin to fear the control they established is gone.

They create drama to see your emotional reaction, serving as fuel and confirmation that they still hold power over you. There's no easier and effective way to test your feelings but by simply vanishing. There's no fight. There's no discussion. You blink and they are gone.

And before you know it, you find yourself down a rabbit hole trying to get a hole of the person you love, to no avail.

While it is true that narcissists like to use their disappearing acts to punish you, there doesn't have to be a conflict. As I explained, they do this even when everything is going well. If, however, there has been a conflict, if you have tried to set boundaries, or stood up for yourself, then the narcissist will use the silent treatment and stonewall technique to get you to submit and drop the boundaries and needs you wanted to enforce as soon as possible. It's an atrocious, but successful tactic. The partner finds themselves in a position where they miss the narcissist so much that they willingly give up their demands to avoid a break-up. In the meantime, the narcissist enjoys the fuel the partner gives them by trying to get a hold of them.
People say that Pedro Sánchez, the president of Spain, is a narcissist. Unfortunately, he never goes away to test our emotional reaction, which would be something like this:

ture-id1097843576?k=20&m=1097843576&s=612x612&w=0&h=V-FpYKh4LSPDSVgZvulPOwMUHgcwmi4hR9la1zO8bm4=.jpg

I get haircuts without wearing earplugs.

However, I did wear half-inserted earplugs for my visit to the dentist, when they had to use the ultrasonic cleaner to remove attachments in my teeth... the dentist was bad. I regret having started Invisalign.

So for me there is not a great solution to noise that goes through bone conduction when the source of noise is touching one's head, hair etc... it's choosing between two bad scenarios, with or without earplugs.
So basically we are screwed either way...

The pain hyperacusis is pretty much the same, now and then I will get exposed to a loud sound that is out of my control and I will have heavy pain from anything to a bot a week to a few months. You don't get usd to it, but you can at least tolerate it a bit better knowing it will go away again.

The pain hyperacusis is pretty much the same, now and then I will get exposed to a loud sound that is out of my control and I will have heavy pain from anything to a bot a week to a few months. You don't get usd to it, but you can at least tolerate it a bit better knowing it will go away again.
That's what happened to me, but I got hearing loss on that process, progressively. It was not only pain but also a progressive deterioration of my hearing due to the odd unexpected loud noises.

I regret having started Invisalign.
What have been drawbacks of Invisalign? I've been wanting to get it.
I take them out during the razor and leave them in for everything else.

Removing attachments is super noisy and, in my case, attachments have been repositioned in the middle of the treatment, so they will have to be removed twice.

My feeling is Invisalign also drives pressure to realign teeth that is transmitted through the jaw. My bite closed perfectly before Invisalign and I already told the dentist that teeth have to be aligned at the end of the treatment and also my bite has to close perfectly as before... so during the treatment your bite will be altered.

I hope to be done with Invisalign by the year end, if things go according to schedule... let's see. I am NOT looking forward to removing attachments again at the end of the treatment... that'll be another session of unavoidable pain.

Removing attachments is super noisy and, in my case, attachments have been repositioned in the middle of the treatment, so they will have to be removed twice.

My feeling is Invisalign also drives pressure to realign teeth that is transmitted through the jaw. My bite closed perfectly before Invisalign and I already told the dentist that teeth have to be aligned at the end of the treatment and also my bite has to close perfectly as before... so during the treatment your bite will be altered.

I hope to be done with Invisalign by the year end, if things go according to schedule... let's see. I am NOT looking forward to removing attachments again at the end of the treatment... that'll be another session of unavoidable pain.
I didn't realize there were attachments. I wonder if they are any better or worse than regular braces attachments. I need them specifically for my bite.

I had the option of either Invisalign or traditional braces. I went with braces. The dentist agreed that they are waaay less hassle than Invisalign, and you can get better results. Minimal pain and pressure. Far fewer appointments.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now