• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

All schools, kindergartens and colleges will be shut down in France too, starting from Monday.

Finally! Good for you guys.

We're hoping they will do the same here in California. Parts of CA have enacted the same rules, but not where I live. I expect it to happen in the next few days/weeks.

My buddy grows. Google Uncle Ben's topping method.
Yeah, I know about topping, and all sorts of other training. I'm fundamentally lazy as hell, and I seem to get the best yields from just scrogging like this with a wire mesh, and it requires very, very, very little maintenance. Keep water reservoir filled, minimal trimming, look at plants every day or two.

I just got 4.7ounces off a plant that had been neglected, maligned and died a week early, ha.

One reason people top or train vs SCROG is to get huge cola buds. I don't care, because I turn all my weed into shatter (oil) with -20F ethanol and a closed loop, so the look and prettiness of the buds doesn't matter to me.
Clearly defined parameters:

By the end of 2020 the verifiable death rate as a percentage of the total population and as a direct result of the Coronavirus will be lower in the US than in the majority of all other countries significantly affected by the virus.
Okay, I may disagree with you less than I thought, but, if we limit that to "other countries who are in the top 20 for GDP per capita", I would still be inclined to think that's not going to be true because of the total lack of prep and testing here.

Comparing what's going to happen here to, like, Brasil is not really fair.
Not sure what to make of this...
View attachment 37247
"none of these things are realistic for unskilled civilians who do not already possess the equipment and training for this; practice social distancing".

I am very scared of getting coronavirus.
If this happened before tinnitus, I would be scared too.
Most likely would be stockpiling food, guns and ammo just like everyone else seems to be doing nowadays.
But now because of tinnitus, nothing scares me anymore.

Any sense of self preservation I once had is now gone, as I go to bed every day hoping, that I don't wake up from my nightly 2 hour sleep (if I'm lucky).

So yes, I think I finally found out that one positive thing about tinnitus.
I no longer fear death.

If a bad situation comes and saves me from having to do it myself soon, I welcome it.
I find this very liberating.
There is nothing anyone can do to me anymore.
Not one single thing.

Everything is now being cancelled here in the UK.

No more sports / events / public gatherings. Many offices closed down from this week or next.

One of the most surreal situations I have ever experienced.

Everything is now being cancelled here in the UK.

No more sports / events / public gatherings. Many offices closed down from this week or next.

One of the most surreal situations I have ever experienced.

Pretty much the same in the Netherlands. Only schools and restaurants remain open (for the moment).

Schools are closed down in Hungary from today too. Universities got closed on Wednesday, travel ban from a lot of countries. Shops are still open, events, sport events are cancelled or postponed.

I'm worried about my family and COVID making the tinnitus worse, or meds making the tinnitus worse. Also, I don't know how I would survive a quarantine in a hospital. At home, sure, I pretty much never leave the house already, but being in a hospital with other people scares the ish out of me.

@Ed209 Poor you, hope your wife and little one are ok... we're not supposed to call 111 even if we do get symptoms in the UK, unless you are in a bad way - how on earth will they know how many have got it?

Stay safe x

So yes, I think I finally found out that one positive thing about tinnitus. I no longer fear death. -- If a bad situation comes and saves me from having to do it myself soon, I welcome it.

Hey @Harley -- Quite a poignent post! I have to say, there's actually a little part of me that would welcome the coronavirus bringing to an end the incessant gyrating up and down cycles that tinnitus/hyperacus regularly puts me through. The operative word for me however, is the "up" part of that. Though the down cycles can be almost too much to deal with at times, I've reached the point in my 2+ year journey that it has always cycled back up again.

That optimism of impending "up cycles" is what carries me through during my low times. So only that "little" part of me feels that welcoming of my own demise. The "bigger part of me" however, continues to believe that things have a good chance of getting better, or at least not got worse. And at this somewhat "predictable" moment, I can live with that.

But I absolutely hear what you're saying about not fearing death. In many ways, and at many times, it has felt like somewhat of a welcome friend to me as well. The irony for me is that even in my lower times, I feel deep within my bones that the coronavirus would never take me. The reason being is I've known for so many years what to do in case I ever contracted a dangerous virus that could do that. I would just take extra Vitamin C (liposomal), and go to a local doctor who does IV Vitamin C therapy. From my years of research, if I do those things, I should be recovered in a relatively short 3-4 days. Adding a few extra things like Hydrogen Peroxide therapy(s) might knock it out in even less time.

Imagine if this thing gets so bad that by the end of the year in the US alone it causes 35 million people to get sick, 16 million people to go a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths. A public health crisis like that is almost beyond imagination, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness.

Imagine if this thing gets so bad that by the end of the year in the US alone it causes 35 million people to get sick, 16 million people to go a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths. A public health crisis like that is almost beyond imagination, right?

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza. The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness.
Wow, all the foreign governments, Disney. sports teams and now the US government and the CDC must be freakin' morons to not realize this is just another flu!

I guess the experts are just overreacting.

/s, in case it wasn't obvious.

Edit: yes I am being snarky but that kind of misinformation literally will kill people. This is not a flu situation.

If this happened before tinnitus, I would be scared too.
Most likely would be stockpiling food, guns and ammo just like everyone else seems to be doing nowadays.
But now because of tinnitus, nothing scares me anymore.

Any sense of self preservation I once had is now gone, as I go to bed every day hoping, that I don't wake up from my nightly 2 hour sleep (if I'm lucky).

So yes, I think I finally found out that one positive thing about tinnitus.
I no longer fear death.

If a bad situation comes and saves me from having to do it myself soon, I welcome it.
I find this very liberating.
There is nothing anyone can do to me anymore.
Not one single thing.
My sentiments exactly. I'm worried for my family, but as for myself, I welcome death. Eternal silence is the tranquility of death.

I'm more annoyed by this virus than anything. Hope it doesn't delay our drugs in clinical trials too much.

First, let's remember that ten years ago 59 million Americans contracted H1N1, 250,000 were hospitalized, and 12,000 died. Just in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

Remember how the market tanked, sports were cancelled, universities shuttered, toilet paper was out in the stores, borders were sealed, and people were trying to use the panic as a political cudgel?

Oh, wait, none of that happened.

So this thread was started Feb 28, which was two weeks ago. And this flu started in China in December, with actually some rumblings of pneumonia clusters before that, but for ease let's say this started in Mid December, or three months ago. So this pandemic that started three months ago on a planet of 7,000,000,000 people right now has 145,000 cases and 5,400 deaths. Right now (March 13) within the US there are 1629 cases and 41 deaths (mostly from a cluster in an elder home), and the population in the US is about 330,000,000

Now the panic people when presented these numbers, which were even lower two weeks ago, say:
- Carriers can not show symptoms for two weeks, just wait! (the median time to show symptoms is FOUR days, which means half the people don't even take that long. "Two weeks" is the worse case for a very small fraction of cases at the tail of the curve)
- There are not enough people tested, just wait! (the amount of testing in the US has grown exponentially, but confirmed cases have not grown on nearly the same scale)
- The Ro is much higher than everyone thinks, just wait! (probably, but mixed info on what)
- The death rate is much higher than the flu, just wait! (yes for sure, but claims range from 2x to 10x to even 20x and there are differences, most markedly by age, with hardly any deaths of youths).

Okay, so maybe this is really bad, and we wait. And if the panic people are right, then it is worth the global market panic, losing a ton of money in my 401K, having my kid sent home from college, having to cancel spring break vacation, cancelling business meetings and am now working from home along with my wife for the next two weeks. All sports events are cancelled, even golf of all things. If the zombie apocalypse is around the corner I will give the panic people proper credit for shutting down society and tanking the markets in order to do the right thing with 41 dead Americans about to explode into six figures and overwhelmed hospitals.

But at what point of time, if the numbers don't explode into mass deaths, if people aren't dying in hospital corridors for lack of respirators, if the the death rate is more in line with the Swine Flu which had a "normal" reaction to a new illness, do the a panic people say they are wrong? Ever?

New cases in China and Korea are declining. Korea's death rate is pretty small, even after two more weeks of waiting, and there is not the excuse of "not enough testing" there for their low death rate. Things do seem grim in Italy with their very aged cluster, but by comparison Taiwan which is next door to China with tons of cross visitors has a couple dozen cases and one death. If you look at the breakout by country Italy seems an anomaly, not the norm.

So let's do this - I will check back in on this thread on March 27 and we check the numbers again. And then again two weeks after that, which makes it a month from now. And at that point I either give the panic people credit, or they eat crow. And if I am right, then I get pissed for the panic that destroyed so much global wealth, which will put so many people out of work, which will hurt far more people than the flu.

First, let's remember that ten years ago 59 million Americans contracted H1N1, 250,000 were hospitalized, and 12,000 died. Just in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_the_United_States

Remember how the market tanked, sports were cancelled, universities shuttered, toilet paper was out in the stores, borders were sealed, and people were trying to use the panic as a political cudgel?

Oh, wait, none of that happened.

So this thread was started Feb 28, which was two weeks ago. And this flu started in China in December, with actually some rumblings of pneumonia clusters before that, but for ease let's say this started in Mid December, or three months ago. So this pandemic that started three months ago on a planet of 7,000,000,000 people right now has 145,000 cases and 5,400 deaths. Right now (March 13) within the US there are 1629 cases and 41 deaths (mostly from a cluster in an elder home), and the population in the US is about 330,000,000

Now the panic people when presented these numbers, which were even lower two weeks ago, say:
- Carriers can not show symptoms for two weeks, just wait! (the median time to show symptoms is FOUR days, which means half the people don't even take that long. "Two weeks" is the worse case for a very small fraction of cases at the tail of the curve)
- There are not enough people tested, just wait! (the amount of testing in the US has grown exponentially, but confirmed cases have not grown on nearly the same scale)
- The Ro is much higher than everyone thinks, just wait! (probably, but mixed info on what)
- The death rate is much higher than the flu, just wait! (yes for sure, but claims range from 2x to 10x to even 20x and there are differences, most markedly by age, with hardly any deaths of youths).

Okay, so maybe this is really bad, and we wait. And if the panic people are right, then it is worth the global market panic, losing a ton of money in my 401K, having my kid sent home from college, having to cancel spring break vacation, cancelling business meetings and am now working from home along with my wife for the next two weeks. All sports events are cancelled, even golf of all things. If the zombie apocalypse is around the corner I will give the panic people proper credit for shutting down society and tanking the markets in order to do the right thing with 41 dead Americans about to explode into six figures and overwhelmed hospitals.

But at what point of time, if the numbers don't explode into mass deaths, if people aren't dying in hospital corridors for lack of respirators, if the the death rate is more in line with the Swine Flu which had a "normal" reaction to a new illness, do the a panic people say they are wrong? Ever?

New cases in China and Korea are declining. Korea's death rate is pretty small, even after two more weeks of waiting, and there is not the excuse of "not enough testing" there for their low death rate. Things do seem grim in Italy with their very aged cluster, but by comparison Taiwan which is next door to China with tons of cross visitors has a couple dozen cases and one death. If you look at the breakout by country Italy seems an anomaly, not the norm.

So let's do this - I will check back in on this thread on March 27 and we check the numbers again. And then again two weeks after that, which makes it a month from now. And at that point I either give the panic people credit, or they eat crow. And if I am right, then I get pissed for the panic that destroyed so much global wealth, which will put so many people out of work, which will hurt far more people than the flu.
But isn't it precisely "panic measures" that will reduce the death rate?

Because the difference in Italy and China is also when they implemented drastic measures.

Potentially, if you have to take antibiotics for pneumonia, especially.

@FGG -- I'm not an expert, but I've assumed anybody contracting pnenomia from the coronavirus would have viral pneumonia. In which case antibiotics wouldn't (or shouldn't) be used, as they're only effective against bacterial infections.

Hey @Harley -- Quite a poignent post! I have to say, there's actually a little part of me that would welcome the coronavirus bringing to an end the incessant gyrating up and down cycles that tinnitus/hyperacus regularly puts me through. The operative word for me however, is the "up" part of that. Though the down cycles can be almost too much to deal with at times, I've reached the point in my 2+ year journey that it has always cycled back up again..
I hear what you are saying Lane.
Unfortunately there is no up cycle for me.
Every day is the same horrible existence.

My "best day" was a little while ago, when I got knocked out for a dental procedure.
Being unconscious for about 1 hour was the highlight of this waking nightmare.

Because I knew, that unlike trying to sleep (and not being able to), that one was a sure thing made by an appointment.

I will fight for as long as I can, but the gas tank is pretty much empty.
If I was a cell phone, my battery indicator would be flashing red with the last 3% remaining with no way to recharge.

@FGG -- I'm not an expert, but I've assumed anybody contracting pnenomia from the coronavirus would have viral pneumonia. In which case antibiotics wouldn't (or shouldn't) be used, as they're only effective against bacterial infections.
Read the China data. Lots of secondary (mixed) bacterial pneumonia and sepsis.

Rewind 1 month and that's exactly what we thought in Europe.
As of March 13, 2020, there have been 1,201 deaths in Europe overall due to the coronavirus

The European number of deaths attributable to influenza during 2017/18 epidemic was estimated to be 152,000 persons.

As of March 13, 2020, there have been 1,201 deaths in Europe overall due to the coronavirus

The European number of deaths attributable to influenza during 2017/18 epidemic was estimated to be 152,000 persons.
Paranoid losers are panicking about this runaway train barreling towards at 100 miles per hour, but how many people has it killed so far? Zero! Checkmate!

As of right now this "runaway train" has killed less than 1% of the number of people that died as a result of the recent influenza outbreak.

Perhaps you're not familiar with the current estimates for coronavirus but they dwarf the numbers you just cited.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now