Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Your logic is backwards.

If the apocalypse you describe never happens, it doesn't mean the threat wasn't real, it could be exactly because a strong response - the response that's inconveniencing everybody - prevented it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      I JUST got back from the supermarket. Virtually every bag of rice was gone. There was only one bag of imported paella rice in a cloth sack, and a tiny packet with some kind of powdery mixture of wild rice I found hidden in the back.

I bought (low salt) crackers instead. :dunno:

I sensed that the panic hoarding was spreading from toilet paper to other non-perishable items as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Yesterday our prime minister was all proud to say how proactive Australia has been, much better than rest of the world (as usual :banghead:).
      He said before flights to China were suspended, we used to have 10.000 Chinese coming daily, now it’s only 100 and they are all Australian citizens returning home.

But he forgot to mention that we still have thousands of Chinese coming via Canada now!!!!

He also said, from Monday, no gatherings bigger than 500 people!!!! 50 is too much, let alone 500.

Schools, universities, shopping centres... business as usual!!!

Yet again instead of learning from mistakes of others they continue to remain blaze! Complete lock down should have happened few weeks ago!

My conclusion is that everyone should be proactive and take necessary measures to protect themselves and family.
      It’s down to personal, not government responsibility!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Can you take something for sleep?

At your level of suffering, is there any reason not to take something like one of the antidepressants that makes you sleepy, or a benzo like Klonopin?

5. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Even though 1/3 of all Space Shuttles ultimately exploded during flight, while planes have a failure rate of almost zero, far more people have died in airplane crashes than in Space Shuttles.

Would you similarly argue that Space Shuttles are safer than airplanes?

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      For anybody who has even a tepid interest in the potential value of Vitamin C therapy to treat or possibly prevent coronavirus infection, the following information about the origins of Vitamin C therapy in the U.S. might be of interest. I actually think it makes for a pretty gripping story. -- It's amazing to me how many online articles are now appearing trying to poo poo the potential for what I consider to be a remarkable therapy.

Linus Pauling (who lived to age 93), was well known for his advocacy of Vitamin C therapy. What most people don't know is that his interest in Vitamin C was piqued by a rural country doctor from N. Carolina (Frederick Klenner) who practiced back in the 1940's. This doctor was at a loss as to how to treat the many children coming in with polio. But having read some interesting articles on IV Vitamin C, he thought why not give it a try on these children with polio. In short, he treated 60 kids, and they were all healed within 3-5 days.

The work of Klenner and Pauling eventually caught the interest of Thomas E. Levy, MD, a board-certified internist and cardiologist, and author of several books. His website is http://www.PeakEnergy.com .) Below is a portion of what he had to say about the above story on Klenner curing children with polio (From this article: Vitamin C May Be A Life-Saver - Mega-doses Can Counter Avian Flu, Hepatitis & Herpes, And Control Advance Of AIDS).

""Imagine that a deadly virus is sweeping the world, killing and maiming hundreds of thousands of children. Nothing seems able to stop it - until a doctor stands up at the American Medical Association and reports on 60 cases involving severely infected children, all of whom have been cured. Yet his work, subsequently reported in a peer-review journal, is ignored, leaving the virus to wreak havoc for decades.

This isn't a docudrama about some futuristic plague - it's a true story about what happened in June 1949 when polio was at its peak. Dr Frederick Klenner, a clinical researcher from Reidsville, North Carolina, reported that a massive intravenous dose of Vitamin C - up to 20,000mg daily for three days (today's recommended daily allowance is 60mg) - had cured 60 of his patients. The findings were published in a medical journal, yet there was virtually no interest. Apart from a couple of minor trials, no attempt was made to find out if they had any scientific substance.

Relating this curious incident in a new book, Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases & Toxins: Curing the Incurable, Dr Thomas Levy, a US cardiologist, admits to being gripped by a range of emotions when he came across Klenner's work and other studies that replicated it. "To know that polio had been easily cured yet so many people continued to die, or survived to be permanently crippled by it, was difficult to accept."

Levy argues that the medical profession has routinely ignored research showing that high doses of Vitamin C can combat bacteria, toxins and severe viral infections including avian flu, SARS, hepatitis and herpes. And this is not a case of doctors sniffing at anecdotal evidence from a handful of enthusiasts. "Vitamin C is possibly the best-researched substance in the world. There are more than 24,000 papers and articles on the authoritative clinical website, Medline. Yet virtually the all the evidence has been dismissed." Levy even claims that Aids can be controlled if a high enough dosage of Vitamin C is maintained.""

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I've had lyme for the past 3 years, and managed to treat a mycoplasma pneumonia without resorting to antibiotics (naturopathic herbs).

• Winner Winner x 2
    8. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      The Coronavirus vs the flu:
      • deadlier than the flu
      • more contagious
      • higher incubation time
      • there is no vaccine
      ES_v3sMUEAA4uKk.jpeg
      ES_3A4oXsAI4IKG.jpeg
      5e6a7b2584159f1962421227.jpeg
      The goal of the current protective measures is to flatten the curve.
      Science_Covid19-Infographic.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      I’m in California right now, I hope we’re able to flatten the curve. I live in a more rural area but everyday seems like a new case pops up.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      The snippet below is from this article: -- Vitamin C Protects Against Coronavirus -- March 13, 2020

...The basis for using high doses of vitamin C to prevent and combat virus-caused illness may be traced back to vitamin C’s early success against polio, first reported in the late 1940s.[6] Many people are unaware, even surprised, to learn this. Further clinical evidence built up over the decades, leading to an anti-virus protocol published in 1980.[7]

It is important to remember that preventing and treating respiratory infections with large amounts of vitamin C is well established. Those who believe that vitamin C generally has merit, but massive doses are ineffective or somehow harmful, will do well to read the original papers for themselves. To dismiss the work of these doctors simply because they had success so long ago sidesteps a more important question: Why has the benefit of their clinical experience not been presented to the public by responsible governmental authorities, especially in the face of a viral pandemic?

Read the full press release at Orthomolecular.com

• Winner Winner x 2
    11. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Funny you mention that! I upped my vitamin C, D and melatonin:)

• Like Like x 2
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I didn't want to be a dick, but YEAH your plant looked like shit... You said it doesn't matter, it looked like that... My tinnitus doesn't allow me to smoke because it goes 3x higher. Haven't smoked in probably 1.5 years at least.

14. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      So when does civilization get back to normal? When we go down to a lot less fever cases with no cure do sports go back on, do people go back to work, do schools open? If there's only 50 cases in the US in 5 months somehow without a vaccine, are things back to normal?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I tried some benzos (Clonazepam and Lorazepam) just to see what happens, but they don't seem to work for me.
      Even if they did, I don't think I would go down that road, because from what I understand it will make tinnitus even worse later on, once you hit tolerance.

Tried bunch of antidepressants too, such as Amitriptyline, Mirtazepine and Trazodone.
      While they do make me tired physically, inside my head I'm wide awake because of the loud, high pitched sand blaster, mixed with screeching and oscillating metallic sound.

There is no escaping it, because it is reactive to sound and any attempt at masking makes it that much louder.

• Hug Hug x 6
    16. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It DOESN'T go back to normal. Things may improve, but normal is history. When we all got tinnitus, did our lives ever go back to normal? Of course not. Hopefully our lives improved after a while and our suffering is less than it was shortly after our injuries, but there's no way to go back to normal Or maybe another way of saying it is, welcome to the NEW normal.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Herbs do much less damage usually and can help manage Lyme often very well. However, Lyme has an extremely slow double time (the period of time when it is susceptible to being targeted by anti infective of any kind)--many orders of magnitude slower than that of the bacterial strains that complicate viral pneumonia and can cause sepsis. Because of that, herbs aren't likely to be nearly as effective in acute pneumonia, unfortunately. They don't have as much time to be.

Mycoplasma is similarly an intracellular pathogen that spreads more slowly.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      My heart goes out to you. I know that doesn’t help, but wanted you to know. I can speak for many here... we love you and are anguished by your suffering...

Sincerely, Daniel

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Bill Gates, well known infection and immunology professor.

It's funny because if something big happens everyone will say "he told us, he is a genius" but if nothing happens everybody will forget about it. No risks taken making assumptions like this.

Panicking is useless. Making stacks is useless.
      If everyone would be cautious, as they should be all year, with wearing mask if they are sick and washing their hands regularly, there would be virtually 0 contamination and in a one month all of this would be over, with no need of closing everything down.
      The contamination is by droplets, there is no secret.

But we can thank the mass media for all the countdowns of death and all the apocalyptic theory that create a bubble of fear. Fortunately they don't do that for every virus.

Fun fact: the year of H1N1 there were less deaths from the flu because people were more cautious with their hygiene. I dream of a world where people would just be cautious and clean all year, and don't panic for every new virus.

• Like Like x 1
    20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Just like the AIDS crisis in the 80s. Somehow those projected numbers never materialized in the US either.

22. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It's nice to see you've gotten a head start on the damage control that is going to occur once this thing fizzles and the inevitable finger pointing that will happen in response to the massive economic damage that the overresponse will have caused.

23. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      After the election when there's no longer any political benefit to be had.

24. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for the kind words Daniel.
      We all deserve better than this.
      Take care my friend.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    25. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      The pandemic is taking a toll at me mentally. My company introduced mandatory home office, and my country's closing everything. We have military police at the borders. It's like a damned disaster movie.

Unfortunately I don't think this is unnecessary panic. The stats from other EU countries are terrifying (e.g. a 100% growth in cases in Spain in just 1 day). And while it doesn't kill young people... it can leave lasting damage. Permanently reduced lung capacity, or permanent neurological issues like CFS are well documented for the original SARS.

"Just the flu, bro" is simply not true. This meme needs to stop.

"Just wash your hands, bro" is nowhere near sufficient anymore.

"People buying toilet paper are retards hurr durr" is also god damned stupid. Calmly stocking up for plausible scenarios is smart. The "very clever" people who "refused" to panic buy will be begging their neighbors for supplies if this gets worse.

We're in for some major public-health pain followed by a royal economic recession. :/

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    26. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      So what do you attribute this "overresponse" to then? Are European governments, Trump now, the WHO and billion dollar industry all just victims of media hype and don't know any better? Is that what you are proposing?

27. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      First we would need to address the incorrect statistics that you provided.

You would need to compare actual missions per shuttle rather than just the number of shuttles in use. 135 Space shuttle missions vs the 5 Space Shuttles that actually flew missions.

The total number of crew members of all 135 space shuttle missions: 833.

Number of crew members that died: 14

That means that 1.680672268907563% of all Space Shuttle crewmembers died during their missions on a vehicle that traveled at speeds of 17,500 miles per hour. All things considered that's not a bad track record for what it is.

*The 2003 accident could arguably be excluded because it was the result of a completely unnecessary replacement of the standard tank foam with a harder "environmentally friendly" foam that damaged the tiles on take off and led to the eventual disaster during reentry. Apparently someone at NASA was concerned that having a relatively small piece of the safer foam fall into a swamp in the middle of nowhere was a major problem and decided to replace it with the harder Astronaut killing foam that caused the accident. A perfect example of how alarmist overreactions can cause dire unintended consequences.

The total number of passengers that flew on commercial airliners in 2017 alone was 4.1 billion. I wasn't able to find the exact statistics for the entire history of commercial aviation but based on that number it's probably safe to assume it's around 50 billion.

The number of people killed in commercial airline crashes since 1942 is approximately 75,000.

That means that 0.00015000000000000001% of all
      commercial airline passengers over the past 80 years have died during their flight. We could more specific and adjust for the fact the Shuttle program only lasted 30 years but it really isn't necessary for our purposes.

In theory traveling on the Space Shuttle is 11,200x more likely to result in death than traveling on a commercial airliner.

In reality 74,986 more people have died on the statistically safer mode of transportation.

28. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The response is disproportionate to a realistic assessment of the actual threat. The various government and cooperate entities all have varying motives for the alarmist behavior.

29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Can you elaborate on these hidden motives?

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Politics.