ajc

Author
Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2018
Tinnitus Since
11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud music - noise damage
Has anyone here got coronavirus? How did it impact your tinnitus?

Some information on coronavirus:

1. Mortality rate much higher than with the influenza, despite treatment (some groups like the elderly and those with other diseases are at higher risk).
2. The incubation period can be very long (up to 14 days) and many people (60-80%) don't have any symptoms (especially with their first infection), this makes it a silent killer as people infect others without knowing they have it.
3. When critical cases go to the hospital to get treated and they are confirmed to have coronavirus, many people locally are already infected because the virus has been able to spread for 2-4 weeks without anyone noticing.
4. Currently it's not shown certain genetic profiles or ethnicities are more at risk getting infected and/or for experiencing more serious symptoms, meaning no country is safe from the virus.

Initial symptoms can be much flu-like, e.g., fever, fatigue, coughing. It can further develop into severe pneumonia, sepsis, septic shock and ultimately death.

Please add more. How many millions of people will die from this?

I am also really worried many people will die from this. Not just because of the effects of the virus but because it's easy to overwhelm health systems. Between drug/supply shortages and other limitations, this is looking like a disaster in the making.

As an aside, if you are on any prescription drugs, get refills now. A lot of these drugs are made in China and shortages can be expected (you can find a current drug shortages list online for the US at least through the FDA).

I'm not sure if this can affect tinnitus or not. I have not seen viruses in this family yet listed as one of the virus families that can cause labyrinthitis. So if someone gets a spike, it could (hopefully) be temporary and from stress.

For myself personally, I'm more worried about getting a secondary bacterial pneumonia or sepsis. I would honestly rather die at this point than get any more ototoxicity than I already have.

I think, right now chances are really low that somebody will come forward as having experienced the novel coronavirus's effect on tinnitus.

I read that one antiviral medication, which is allegedly being tested, is cloroquinine, because in laboratory circumstances it seemed to be effective against SARS. That's ototoxic. @FGG you seem to be up-to-date with science, what's your opinion? I didn't find any info on other potential antiviral drugs' impact on tinnitus. Of course, this is only a rhetorical question, no medication has been proven to work against COVID-19.

I'm really worried right now. My sibling lives in Milan. Told me that outside the quarantine zone, life seems to be normal, but people are scared. My country is pretty much in the middle of other countries which already have cases. I'm not particularly worried about myself, but for my elderly parents, one of them has chronic conditions.
And our healthcare system can't even handle the "normal days". It would be very easily overwhelmed by a virus. And I'm afraid other public services would collapse too.

I AM always worried about getting the flu in the winter months, so naturally I am also a little bit worried at the thought of possibly catching the coronavirus which IS a flu. But the odds of "catching it" and it causing serious trouble, when you are a young person, are still super low... I have a good immune system (knock wood)... so I tell myself that, and then I am at ease.

It is too early to panic imo.

I think, right now chances are really low that somebody will come forward as having experienced the novel coronavirus's effect on tinnitus.

I read that one antiviral medication, which is allegedly being tested, is cloroquinine, because in laboratory circumstances it seemed to be effective against SARS. That's ototoxic. @FGG you seem to be up-to-date with science, what's your opinion? I didn't find any info on other potential antiviral drugs' impact on tinnitus. Of course, this is only a rhetorical question, no medication has been proven to work against COVID-19.

I'm really worried right now. My sibling lives in Milan. Told me that outside the quarantine zone, life seems to be normal, but people are scared. My country is pretty much in the middle of other countries which already have cases. I'm not particularly worried about myself, but for my elderly parents, one of them has chronic conditions.
And our healthcare system can't even handle the "normal days". It would be very easily overwhelmed by a virus. And I'm afraid other public services would collapse too.
Gilead has a very promising antiviral, Remdesivir and has been given permission to start trials in China immediately. The question will be how quickly can they manufacture this drug in mass if it works and if it will be affordable in the US.

Gilead has a very promising antiviral, Remdesivir and has been given permission to start trials in China immediately. The question will be how quickly can they manufacture this drug in mass if it works and if it will be affordable in the US.
On the news they stated that a cure could come out in April but they have to go through the review process which can take up to 18 months.

I wonder if FX-322 will come out first or Coronavirus cure.

On the news they stated that a cure could come out in April but they have to go through the review process which can take up to 18 months.

I wonder if FX-322 will come out first or Coronavirus cure.
You mean the vaccine right? I don't think it's been tested at all (vs the antiviral, which has).

For myself personally, I'm more worried about getting a secondary bacterial pneumonia or sepsis. I would honestly rather die at this point than get any more ototoxicity than I already have.

I'm more cornered about my pregnant wife or daughter catching it.

Also, I nearly died with sepsis in 2017 so it's not something I'd like to repeat. It didn't affect my tinnitus, though, even though I was being pumped full of high doses of various antibiotics. Thankfully, they didn't need to use any aminoglycosides.

Also, I nearly died with sepsis in 2017 so it's not something I'd like to repeat. It didn't affect my tinnitus, though, even though I was being pumped full of high doses of various antibiotics. Thankfully, they didn't need to use any aminoglycosides.
I don't know about pregnancy, but children seem to deal with coronavirus better than adults. If they are infected, they are likely to have mild symptoms. Risk seems to increase with age.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/children-faq.html

What sucks the most is that you can't even get protective masks if you want to. It's sold out everywhere. So there is no vaccine or protection.

I don't say this to cause panic because we shouldn't. The majority of cases are mild symptoms that result in a fever and a cough.

People who are older, smokers, have lung issues, or are immune compromised are more at risk. The majority of us will be fine. DO NOT PANIC!:beeranimation:

I'm glad you made it and you're with us :)

I'm not afraid of this virus, I'm afraid of the humans.

In Germany people already start to prep and buying the supermarkets empty.
I have no other choice, I will buy some stuff tomorrow as well.
Oats and milk or so.

It kills healthy adults as well as oldsters.

Good article by Bill Gates:

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/How-to-respond-to-COVID-19
Yes, I know. I didn't say it doesn't. Nobody claims that only the elderly are in danger. But the weaker, older people seem to be in more danger than the otherwise healthy individuals right now. The current statistic charts show that death due to COVID is more common in older age groups. (Likely none of us here has rock solid information of how accurate those statistics are.) There is no guarantee how anyone would react to getting infected though.

The whole thing is blown waaaaay out of proportion by the media and some people. Of course we have to mindful of it and make sure we have good hygiene, but as of now, you'd have a way bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident then cathing coronavirus, let alone dying of it......and I see nobody parking their cars yet...

The whole thing is blown waaaaay out of proportion by the media and some people. Of course we have to mindful of it and make sure we have good hygiene, but as of now, you'd have a way bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident then cathing coronavirus, let alone dying of it......and I see nobody parking their cars yet...

A lot of things point towards this being the largest pandemic since the spanish flu. We'll see what happens. If it spreads to Africa and other places without healthcare, that could be a big problem.

I live in Laos. It's going down for us here... soon. Without a doubt. Fingers crossed
@HeavyMantra, FGG, Tinnitus Talk folks, we have no health care system here.
Hoping for the best...

Fucking Corona... don't fuck with my regenerative trials and work. This shit is good for the environment, kills industrial output, but potentially bad for my FX-322 fix and other drugs I fancy shooting into my ears (the timing that is). C'est la vie I and a big dose of Fuck It.

Fucking Corona... don't fuck with my regenerative trials and work. This shit is good for the environment, kills industrial output, but potentially bad for my FX-322 fix and other drugs I fancy shooting into my ears (the timing that is). C'est la vie I and a big dose of Fuck It.
I hear ya man lol

I really hope not. FX-322 has a really good chance of releasing it next year if they can pass Phase 2a and receive breakthrough therapy status.
Breakthrough designation does not mean it would come out next year. A lot of other things would have to also happen including: skipping phase 3 entirely (we won't know if that's even a possibility at all before phase 2 results come out), full enrollment not significantly delayed, etc.

Fennac got Breakthrough status for their Cisplatin otoprotection drug in July 2018 and their drug will be released in a few months. That's about 2 years *after* they got Breakthrough status after their phase 3.

The wildcard here, though, is if they can use their phase 2 data and get to Japan first through Astellas. I know nothing about how that works though.

It could happen in 2 years, but i see it as extraordinarily unlikely the drug will be released by the end of 2021, unfortunately. I think 2-5 years is a more realistic estimate. I wish I could have gotten into a trial.

IMO...

I just got back from Seoul... cough, cough, cough. No really... it is nothing to panic about.

The early statistics are skewed from China... not a great health care system. However, it shows many countries supply chains are too reliant on China to save a few pennies.

Many public washrooms in China are just a latrine, i.e. a hole in the floor. The levels of hygiene are very different from country to country.

I expected to see a ghost town, but I saw a few more masks than usual.... since that's been the thing in Asia for a long time.

This virus will be around for decades... it is mysterious because it acts a little different from what we are used to... still though the flu kills 60,000 in the US alone.

For perspective... "H1N1 flu pandemic infected millions of people in the United States, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden."

All is well... ;-)

Attachments

• 395EFE11-5800-4584-A3CE-04B13262351A.jpeg
    395EFE11-5800-4584-A3CE-04B13262351A.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 24
Breakthrough designation does not mean it would come out next year. A lot of other things would have to also happen including: skipping phase 3 entirely (we won't know if that's even a possibility at all before phase 2 results come out), full enrollment not significantly delayed, etc.

Fennac got Breakthrough status for their Cisplatin otoprotection drug in July 2018 and their drug will be released in a few months. That's about 2 years *after* they got Breakthrough status after their phase 3.

The wildcard here, though, is if they can use their phase 2 data and get to Japan first through Astellas. I know nothing about how that works though.

It could happen in 2 years, but i see it as extraordinarily unlikely the drug will be released by the end of 2021, unfortunately. I think 2-5 years is a more realistic estimate. I wish I could have gotten into a trial.
Well I just hope they speed up the process somehow that allows them to release FX-322 as soon as they can.

If it does come out next year that will be good.

If the global economy takes a big hit from this, that's probably going to be the real problem and not the actual virus.
If it is in fact the case that 20% of the infected require a 4 week hospital stay, the healthcare system might get overwhelmed and people who are suffering from the Other diseases will be affected.

If no cure is found and the virus sticks around for years to come, significantly fewer people will reach their 80s.

I'm in a situation where family members rely on me and I can't really afford to be sick. My dad was coming back to town for an indeterminate amount of time but even if I get sick I'm not sure I could keep myself passing it to him or others or vice versa so it's a tense situation. The only solace is I telecommute so I can cloister myself but I get really stir crazy as it is. Never getting out of the house will be hard to handle.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now