• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

That is completely illogical to me, by the way.

That just makes no sense to me for so many reasons... I am glad it's being tested in moderate to severe cases, as this will really provide clearer evidence of efficacy of multiple dosing, illuminate the problem of reaching the desired parts of the cochlea, and of course for selfish and unselfish reasons of helping people avoid cochlear implants and people who can't use hearing aids because of hyperacusis but suffer from profound hearing loss.

In terms of science it seems the better way forward to me... I don't feel I articulated this well but my instinct tells me it's better to start with more severe cases as a way of determining doses for FX-322.

Member @Jurger made a very good point about this being one of the "most illusive goals in modern medicine" .
I remain hopeful that we could benefit from this technology in this lifetime.

FGG's audiogram is so much better than mine but our day to day hearing challenges are so different. This is truly a sad and complicated condition amongst many others that modern medicine is unable to solve.

@Rb86... what's up.... as far as FX-322 being compared to Hough... I am not sure I agree with you. I like Hough and that the director is volunteering in Vietnam... but I am biased... FX-322 is drawing from MIT and Harvard... That's 1st division. If you track 75% of the tech the military, NASA uses today, it will lead you back to MIT, even much of the computer digital revolution. 75% is a number I made up, but all the defense crap, lasers, tracking units, is coming from Raytheon which is a spin off of MIT.

I digress, I may very well may be wrong and often am... I see it like MLB as opposed to amateur baseball. Just me riding a hunch, gut instinct. I wish Stanford and Dr. Heller's team would jump in the game and bring something to market... it just shows you how complicated this stuff is.

Peace out.
I'm not convinced MIT or Harvard are leaders when it comes to drug therapies. No doubt they've achieved a lot but I don't look at them as leaders.

I still have a heavy amount of faith in Hough, but hey, if either Frequency or Hough beat it, we both win! Here's to hope.

Damn, hell must have frozen over.

The ATA acknowledges that FX-322 exists!

upload_2019-10-28_9-37-45.png

Then you might be interested in some supplements which can increase the concentration of BDNF and NT-3 in your bloodstream...
Matrine, derived from the herb Radix Sophorae Flavescent and marketed as "Ku Shen";
Astaxanthin.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/neurotrophin-3-regenerates-cochlear-synapses.31752/
Nope. Nope. Nope. I don't think it works this way. These growth factors probably don't reach the inner ear even if their concentration is increased, it's nothing like locally delivered NT-3 or BDNF.
As an example, GABA is a neurotransmitter; it is very important and very active in the brain, but if you take GABA supplements by mouth, it won't cross the blood-brain barrier and won't have the effect that you'd expect.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I don't think it works this way. These growth factors probably don't reach the inner ear even if their concentration is increased, it's nothing like locally delivered NT-3 or BDNF.
As an example, GABA is a neurotransmitter; it is very important and very active in the brain, but if you take GABA supplements by mouth, it won't cross the blood-brain barrier and won't have the effect that you'd expect.
Astaxanthin does cross the blood-brain barrier!

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6117702/

So I just got off the phone with my local testing center. I don't qualify for FX-322 because I don't have enough hearing loss at certain frequencies. They wouldn't tell me what loss you needed because that's "confidential". They also just happened to be testing for OTO-313. Great! I thought. Turns out I don't qualify because I have tinnitus in both ears.

WTF difference does that make? They don't know enough about tinnitus to begin with, so why would that matter if I have it in both ears?

Fuck these places.

Turns out I don't qualify because I have tinnitus in both ears.

WTF difference does that make? They don't know enough about tinnitus to begin with, so why would that matter if I have it in both ears?
Because unilateral tinnitus is very uncommon, and it usually means you have something physical going on, like acoustic neuroma.

Because unilateral tinnitus is very uncommon, and it usually means you have something physical going on, like acoustic neuroma.
Except an acoustic neuroma is part of their exclusion criteria, so definitely not that.

@Rb86 I agree that it makes no sense, tinnitus is caused by the brain detecting something wrong in the ears. If OTO-313 can stop the signal sending that something is wrong, the brain should stop trying to fix it. It makes no sense why they would only do one ear.

So I just got off the phone with my local testing center. I don't qualify for FX-322 because I don't have enough hearing loss at certain frequencies. They wouldn't tell me what loss you needed because that's "confidential". They also just happened to be testing for OTO-313. Great! I thought. Turns out I don't qualify because I have tinnitus in both ears.

Fuck these places.
It's probably a testing thing. It's probably easier to detect if a drug helps with tinnitus (or not) if you have it in one ear and that ear gets injected.

Hey just created an account after following this thread for a while.

Does anyone know how much time till release of FX-322 can be shaved off by the fast track status compared to if they didn't get it?

It's probably a testing thing. It's probably easier to detect if a drug helps with tinnitus (or not) if you have it in one ear and that ear gets injected.
I disagree. And they didn't even ask my tinnitus symptoms. Like the fact that I have a low subwoofer warble in my left ear, a 935 Hz tone in my right, and a 15000 Hz hiss in both. Yes I could tell if it was helped or not. I mean what kind of horse shit is that.

Fuck these places.
Considering TMJ is one of the causes of unilateral tinnitus, how can they test a drug designed to repair an input system where the insult is ongoing? Especially if they don't exclude these cases. Or am I missing something?

Fuck these places.
So did you go through the testing they require or did you just send them your audiogram?

Hey just created an account after following this thread for a while.

Does anyone know how much time till release of FX-322 can be shaved off by the fast track status compared to if they didn't get it?
I read somewhere generally 6-9 months. But honestly it will depend on the drug and the trial design. I remain convinced that since you won't have to follow patients long term to assess benefits, trials can be relatively short and compact. I mean, you should know the maximum effect of an injection after 3-6 months. Hair cells don't seem to take that long to grow.

Hopefully they get breakthrough or orphan drug status. That will help even more.

It was under the umbrella of the ENT docs I've been to. They already had my audiograms in house.
Hmm. Interesting. I have tinnitus in both ears much worse in my left. No hearing loss in right ear but high frequency tinnitus (nothing compared to left) in right. Also have low frequency hearing loss with low frequency tinnitus in left ear.

I sent over 3 of my most recent audiograms and they said I qualified for the next step. But they didn't even ask any questions regarding my tinnitus. I obviously told them my tinnitus is a lot more bothersome than the hearing loss issue. All they really said was ok.

Hmm. Interesting. I have tinnitus in both ears much worse in my left. No hearing loss in right ear but high frequency tinnitus (nothing compared to left) in right. Also have low frequency hearing loss with low frequency tinnitus in left ear.

I sent over 3 of my most recent audiograms and they said I qualified for the next step. But they didn't even ask any questions regarding my tinnitus. I obviously told them my tinnitus is a lot more bothersome than the hearing loss issue. All they really said was ok.
Yep. I guess you qualified with whatever "magic" "confidential" frequencies you've lost. They wouldn't tell me what was required even though I asked. I said I'd like to relay the info to the tinnitus forum I'm a part of. Sorry sir that's confidential. Bunch of pure horse shit.

The tinnitus part of the conversation was because they're also testing Otonomy's drug, OTO-313 I believe it's called. Frequency doesn't give a hoot about tinnitus from what I can gather at this point.

At any rate, please keep us informed. Inform us that you're not allowed to discuss it with us if that's the case too.

Audion REGAIN has almost completed phase 2 and they have secured finances. They are a phase ahead of Frequency Therapeutics. I don't get the hype around FX-322.
Especially here, now that there's an anecdote floating around about a guy having his tinnitus improve after being in the trial.

Audion REGAIN has almost completed phase 2 and they have secured finances. They are a phase ahead of Frequency Therapeutics. I don't get the hype around FX-322.
FX-322 creates both more supporting cells and hair cells. The REGAIN drug only transdifferentiates supporting cells. That means it depletes your supporting cells, possibly limiting future treatments. FX-322 also uses a hydrogel to ensure as much as possible that the drug permeates through the round window membrane. As far as far as I know, the REGAIN drug doesn't use a sophisticated delivery method. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the more severe hearing loss patients end up needing both FX-322 and REGAIN for maximum benefit. And the REGAIN could still be used in combination with a gel of some sorts.

Yep. I guess you qualified with whatever "magic" "confidential" frequencies you've lost. They wouldn't tell me what was required even though I asked. I said I'd like to relay the info to the tinnitus forum I'm a part of. Sorry sir that's confidential. Bunch of pure horse shit.

The tinnitus part of the conversation was because they're also testing Otonomy's drug, OTO-313 I believe it's called. Frequency doesn't give a hoot about tinnitus from what I can gather at this point.

At any rate, please keep us informed. Inform us that you're not allowed to discuss it with us if that's the case too.
Would you have gone through with it if you would have qualified? I guess I'm just worried about possibly making things worse. Also the fact that I have low frequency hearing loss. A lot of people have stated it might only work on higher frequencies right now. And if doesn't work about taking myself out of the market for anything else in the future if it doesn't work. Obviously I still have to still go through the screening phase which sounds very strict. But just some of my concerns.

Time and place. Frequency Therapeutics is now recruiting near the areas of a few our members, so we're discussing possibly participating. Also, the supporting cells issue and delivery method as stated above.

Would you have gone through with it if you would have qualified? I guess I'm just worried about possibly making things worse. Also the fact that I have low frequency hearing loss. A lot of people have stated it might only work on higher frequencies right now. And if doesn't work about taking myself out of the market for anything else in the future if it doesn't work. Obviously I still have to still go through the screening phase which sounds very strict. But just some of my concerns.
The lady running the study who called me said it's injected through the ear drum, and it's something they do all the time for other things and that it's safe. It certainly made me more intrigued than prior.

Yes. My original otologist diagnosed me with Meniere's based on having both vestibular signs and hearing loss. It has since been ruled out by much more thorough Otologists because:

A) My electrocochleagram was normal after all but incredibly the first Otologists didn't read the results and assumed it was abnormal (yes, really).

B) I had a history of Lyme disease from 2005 and that can produce a Meniere's-like hydropic disease and again an assumption was made by the first otologist.

In any case, my hearing loss was timed with high dose antibiotic use (was being trial-treated for Lyme when I had the vestibular episodes with no known cause) not the vestibular episodes.

Truthfully, I didn't get a thorough workup until I went to OK in June. My new Otologist highly doubts--if not completely ruled out Meniere's--because of many factors including normal imaging, normal Electrocochleagram x 2, and most importantly, my hearing loss was not at all timed with vestibular issues. For instance, I had a 48 hour continuous rotational vertigo attack last fall and had no tinnitus, ear fullness or loss. Those happened after high dose antibiotics.

It appears i was misdiagnosed and it's likely the "Meniere's" was from something else (vestibular migraines?). I haven't had a vertigo attack since April as well.

I think I have two separate issues which less thorough drs never like: ototoxicity and vestibular migraines (which have gotten much better).
Many thanks for the detailed response.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now