• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

View attachment 44047

According to the patent doc, with 1 injection from the Phase 1/2... 6/15 FX-322 Responders shows improvements greater than 5 dB at 8 kHz. 2/15 showed improvements greater than 5 dB at 6 kHz and 8 kHz.

So, I think we might know what to expect from multiple injections... at the very least, a notable increase down to 6 kHz per each injection...

I need to buy more stock ASAP.

I'd like to know what @FGG, @Aaron91 and @Zugzug are thinking after pouring over this patent doc...
So I actually made my own notes on the patent after seeing the Twitter post further above in this post. You'll find a few other nuggets there.

Overall I'm very bullish, although biotwitter seems very bearish.

View attachment 44047

According to the patent doc, with 1 injection from the Phase 1/2... 6/15 FX-322 Responders shows improvements greater than 5 dB at 8 kHz. 2/15 showed improvements greater than 5 dB at 6 kHz and 8 kHz.

So, I think we might know what to expect from multiple injections... at the very least, a notable increase down to 6 kHz per each injection...

I need to buy more stock ASAP.

I'd like to know what @FGG, @Aaron91 and @Zugzug are thinking after pouring over this patent doc...
It's 300+ pages so I'm kind of skimming it (it's a bit like trying to read the Bible cover to cover, this molecule begets this one...).

I did want to add that so far it was very reassuring to read that the side effects were all "transient" with no systemic effects. Listed was one tinnitus incident and one ear drum perforation (I imagine this is the same patient since I can't imagine tinnitus *not* being a side effect of ear drum perforation). I take the "transient" comment to mean it resolved without incident. And that's very good news.

The 6 kHz info from one injection is really exciting, @Diesel and confirms that it doesn't just affect the EHF region.

The Pick's Law info that @Aaron91 pulled out also explains a lot about why they opted for the dosing schedule they did vs having a higher concentration at the start. Really good find.

As a side note, I was clearly wrong about the graph from the mysterious tweet being Otonomy related (taken out of context the phrasing was just too weird) and this is a really interesting find and it seems verified to be Frequency Therapeutics at this point.

I'm confused. Who posted this new data from the Phase 1B clinical trials? Was this Frequency Therapeutics or is this a completely random person who was part of the clinical trials?

This is great news, right? Phase 2 should give positive results then?
Biotwitter are still incredibly bearish. They think Frequency Therapeutics are a dead duck and that the improvements were placebo or down to both gels "cleaning the round window" lmao. I honestly think this thread undersells itself with the knowledge it pulls together. This company has flown under the so-called "experts" radar. I'm really confident.

If I've learned anything from the GME shenanigans, it's that a stock's price can be TOTALLY unrelated to a company's real value. I still believe it's fancy gambling with educated guesses. So I'm not letting FREQ stock price affect my opinion.

Biotwitter are still incredibly bearish. They think Frequency Therapeutics are a dead duck and that the improvements were placebo or down to both gels "cleaning the round window" lmao. I honestly think this thread undersells itself with the knowledge it pulls together. This company has flown under the so-called "experts" radar. I'm really confident.
It depends, Jonah Lupton is pretty bullish and he was right about Dermtech.

But yeah... "cleaning the round window"?? Must be the "acid" part of VPA...

Oh yeah, after the GME stuff there's some 8 hedge funds that prove that most "experts" are just celebrated gamblers; what they do or don't do isn't a reflection of anything but the market itself.

For me the biggest vote of confidence is Perceptive Advisors and I encourage everyone to look them up. They own 10% of FREQ and they have an incredible track record of picking winners in biotech:

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b19hj4gjrwh1x9/The-41-Man
Oh wow. He was one who called Sarepta correctly. That says a lot to me. Twitter was incredibly bearish on that one (also claimed placebo even though there was a video of DMD kid *skiing* on the drug). Actually, today they just announced more good news on yet another drug (SRP-9003).

I think there are parallels. "Exon skipping" sounded too high tech and advanced so it just "had to be placebo". I think that's how people who aren't stepped in the science of hearing regen see it too.

Why don't we get some insight from that @Toby1972 guy? Does he flip a coin?
His "insight" is basically "the Bosnian Coffee Shop down the street is a secret money laundering operation, therefore Frequency Therapeutics is a fraud too..."

Edit: I'm not picking on Bosnians (sorry Bosnians!). This was based on a true story.

It's from Frequency Therapeutics' patent application.
How did this dude on Twitter find Frequency Therapeutics' patent application in the first place? If it's not uploaded by Frequency Therapeutics officially, then for all we know this could just be fake news that he made up to stir the pot.

If I've learned anything from the GME shenanigans, it's that a stock's price can be TOTALLY unrelated to a company's real value. I still believe it's fancy gambling with educated guesses. So I'm not letting FREQ stock price affect my opinion.
I would never compare an overly shorted stock to a company with tangible value. GME is a unicorn situation about to implode.

New to Tinnitus Talk, here mainly because I've gotten into Frequency Therapeutics in sheer excitement at their potential to offer hearing loss improvements (dad suffers from a bit of tinnitus as well as has a hearing aid).

The patent data mentioned is really interesting.

That data point of the adult with 21 years of moderate hearing loss by the time they were dosed, along with the durability of that treatment at month 16 is incredible (14->34->30).

Ignore the price action, tomorrow is index rebalancing day for XBI which may be adding additional volatility to biotechs on top of the massive amount of FREQ options set to expire tomorrow.

I'm just so excited for data. I'm going to need to take the day off work when we get data just to read and process all of it!

Wall Street expects a year-over-year decline in earnings on higher revenues when Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (FREQ) reports results for the quarter ended December 2020.

Thoughts?

Earnings Preview: Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (FREQ) Q4 Earnings Expected to Decline
This is literally an article written by a bot. It's useless intellectual detritus.

If you wanted to draw any conclusion, it's that earnings decline would be driven by an increase in expenses rather than a decrease in revenue, which has nothing to do with the drug efficacy.

Just to confirm I'm reading correctly, the patent was filed in early August?
April 2019. I learned this last night from another bull:

"The way patents work is you always inherit the oldest priority date. It acts as a marker of grandfathering in so even if you file a patent internationally later, the filing date may be whatever it is but the priority date reflects the first oldest date at which a patent or patent family was conceived and disclosed"​

@Chetan, was that you?

Wall Street expects a year-over-year decline in earnings on higher revenues when Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (FREQ) reports results for the quarter ended December 2020.

Thoughts?

Earnings Preview: Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (FREQ) Q4 Earnings Expected to Decline
I am not aware of a single start-up biotech that is profit-making before it has a clinical drug candidate on the market. Biotech is a notoriously risky business to go into, and is a binary play for all investors concerned. The share price is gonna rocket or tank after these results - there's no in between. Share float also seems to be very, very low, so there could be a small squeeze too.

April 2019. I learned this last night from another bull:

"The way patents work is you always inherit the oldest priority date. It acts as a marker of grandfathering in so even if you file a patent internationally later, the filing date may be whatever it is but the priority date reflects the first oldest date at which a patent or patent family was conceived and disclosed"​

@Chetan, was that you?
Yep, that's accurate and my understanding. The entire reason for priority dates is to act as a method of marking when you have approached the patent organizations that support filing claims, and made "public" (I'll explain why in quotes) your IP or concept that you want to claim is your invention (usually either a method of use, composition of matter, conceptual/design or some other variation).

Then 18 months from the priority date, the actual patent ends up being "published" which is the true moment it is actually public and it is visible if you look in patent databases. This 18 months AIUI is intended to ensure that if simultaneously someone else was also patenting it, there's a time window to allow for other claimants to step forward.

Once something is "published" ie patent is still in application stage but has publication, it can act as "prior art", a way of saying in the future that your patent pre-dates a competitor patent. At this stage you cannot actually force cease and desist until patent is granted, but this stage is usually valuable from IP security point of view if you believe the claims have strong merit. This is also the stage at which you can continue to make adjustments so it's almost more valuable for acquisition or whatever purposes if the scope or some material issue needs to be addressed since once patents are "granted" and actually defensible from C&D point of view, they are locked to the "granted" scope and not flexible.

Hope this helps.

WIPO is great, means they effectively have global IP coverage here in all regions.

I'm going through it now, but suffice to say I think there's some stuff here we haven't seen before. Already learned something new:

"Furthermore, 2 of the 6 FX-322 -treated responders demonstrated a >5 dB at both 6 and 8 kHz on day 90 post injection (Figure 9B)".
I had no idea they had 2 patients responding at 6 kHz on the audiogram. Was anyone else aware of this? I knew the pharmacodynamics showed it gets that far but didn't realise it was in any therapeutic quantity. Probably wasn't statistically significant but I still think that could be really promising. I find this quite exciting because the biggest dip on my audiogram is at 6 kHz!
Analysis, Part I

So I ran a Fisher's Exact Test for myself on this test and computed the p-value. I was lazy so I just used Graphpad to do the calculations for me.

Assumptions:
  • Two categorical variables: Variable 1 is Treatment (FX-322 or Placebo) and Variable 2 is Responder (Yes or No, where Yes means >5 dB at 6 and 8 kHz on day 90). This creates a 2x2 grid where the n=23 total sample size will satisfy that each patient lands in exactly 1 of the 4 cells.
  • One-tailed test. In other words, the p-value looks for the "improvement" from FX-322 being at least as extreme. This means that I am looking for the probability that with 15 treated ears, 8 placebo ears, what is the probability that at least 2/15 ears will be a responder? Obviously, the p-value should be large, which is considered less evidence. A small p-value means that the probability of improvement at that level of extremeness if the null hypothesis (no improvement) was true, is small. Therefore, the closer p is to 0, the better and the closer p is to 1 (100%), the worse. Small p-values mean that the null hypothesis is harder to believe, essentially. Opposite for large p-values.
Notes:
  • They performed this same test on the 6/15 responders to look for statistical significance. Therefore, it's a very reasonable test. They also performed a one-tailed test.
Results:
After a bunch of math, p=0.415. For some interpretation, we need p < .05 to be considered statistically significant. Also, note that p=.05 for the same test, but with "Responder" only requiring >5 dB improvement at 8 kHz. As we can see, big difference in the p-value.

This small sample sized, crude test tells me something pretty big. That is, 8 kHz is right around the boundary where drug action reaches. It is nice that 2/15 saw improvement at 6 kHz, but I think our expectations should be low. Moreover, to @Aaron91's point about the impact of dosing volume being similar because of Pick's law, that makes me think that the best we'll see from multiple dosing cohorts is added improvement at 8 kHz. I expect that 6/15 ratio to improve, but the 2/15 ratio at 6 kHz to barely improve in the Phase 2a study.

tl;dr: they need a new formulation or a fundamentally different drug delivery technique to reach lower. Still encouraging.
Also, check this out:

"In addition, three subjects reported an improvement in tinnitus."
That's at least 50% of patients who didn't have a WR ceiling effect seeing improvement in their tinnitus.
Analysis, Part II

I ran the same test as above, but with "Responder" changing to "tinnitus improvement" (Yes or No). My conservative assumption is that of the n=23 people in the study, there were only 3 tinnitus improvers in total. The only 3 tinnitus improvers came from the 15 treated ears.

The same one-tailed test procedure reveals a p-value of p=0.2569. For the two-tailed test (more conservative p-value, which considers the possibility that the drug worsened tinnitus), we have p=0.5257.

Caveats: This assumes that tinnitus was perfectly assessed and that only 3 people in the whole study improved. I have no idea is is true or not. Either way, it seems like if the 3 tinnitus responders came from the 6 responders, that's not bad for one dose.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now