Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

Hi Yan I am Mario from Mexico, English is not my mother tounge so sorry if I make mistakes writing, my T started on december the 30 2014 , I did 7 sessions LLLT just 2 weeks ago, at Dr. Wilden office in Ibiza, I traveled since I did not find a trusted LLLT clinic here in Mexico or in the US.
I am deaf from my left ear since I was 7 due to mups, LLLT was done to booth ears for 7 days, it improved my audition in the right one and it seems that is recovering the left one after 40 years of not hearing ( I am 47 years), I bought the portable device for home, audiograms shows that left ear is recovering.
my T is still but it seems softer, I cover my ears with ear plugs or with noise redution headphones, even in quite enviroments, it seems tha silent is medice for my ears.
In my opinion LLLT is a very good option, I have read that for some people has worked for the Tinnitus, for others has not, and for others improved it.
In my case until now every points out that has improved , altought is still there but softer.
Do you have before and after audiograms to show us ?

Hi Yan I am Mario from Mexico, English is not my mother tounge so sorry if I make mistakes writing, my T started on december the 30 2014 , I did 7 sessions LLLT just 2 weeks ago, at Dr. Wilden office in Ibiza, I traveled since I did not find a trusted LLLT clinic here in Mexico or in the US.
I am deaf from my left ear since I was 7 due to mups, LLLT was done to booth ears for 7 days, it improved my audition in the right one and it seems that is recovering the left one after 40 years of not hearing ( I am 47 years), I bought the portable device for home, audiograms shows that left ear is recovering.
my T is still but it seems softer, I cover my ears with ear plugs or with noise redution headphones, even in quite enviroments, it seems tha silent is medice for my ears.
In my opinion LLLT is a very good option, I have read that for some people has worked for the Tinnitus, for others has not, and for others improved it.
In my case until now every points out that has improved , altought is still there but softer.
You've been deaf for 40 years but just got tinnitus 3 months ago? I find that a bit hard to believe.

Hi soulstation
What I wrote is that I have been deaf since I was 7 years from the left ear, my audición in the right one is good and it is in the right one where I got the T,hearing loss is not 100%linked with Tinnitus some one May have good audition and still develop T or May have hearing loss and not develop T

I've been reading about some out of the country hospitals offering stem cells being delivered through an IV into your blood for treatment of hearing loss. Is this just a bunch of bull or have people actually benefitted from this type of procedure. To me it doesn't seem believable, but if you can kill ear hair cells with certain medicine, wouldn't it make sense that you can grow it back with medicine as well. I think its possible, but we are just not there yet. Any feedback to what anyone thinks or what you have read is welcome.

Interesting, now when will the results of this study be picked up and investigated further. It should be immediate and seamless, if govts ( who are employed by us) cared about audiitory conditions rather than paying lip service.
And if the government who is employed by use dont get to be over paid by producers of hearing aid a comapny in order to sabotage all this.

On the other hand, mirror therapy for phantom limb (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=88097) does seem to work, and that's operating on a similar principle.

The patient sits with a mirror facing the remaining leg, moves the remaining leg and watches the reflection in the mirror, so that it appears that both the good and the amputated leg are moving.

That sounds like fiction. If that was true, then sound therapy is key and cure for T; unless you are deaf -- but hey we have CIs. Anyhow, I heard a different story about phantom pain they reopen the severed limb and cut/stimulate the nerves anew. And that cures the patient.

That sounds like fiction. If that was true, then sound therapy is key and cure for T; unless you are deaf -- but hey we have CIs. Anyhow, I heard a different story about phantom pain they reopen the severed limb and cut/stimulate the nerves anew. And that cures the patient.
It's trickier than that; tinnitus and phantom limb are not entirely isomorphic. I think that there is an explanation for why mirror therapy is supposed to work, which is grounded in motor nerves.

That said, some people have reported actual volume decreases from audio therapies; I respond in a limited way to simple self-induced ACRN.

some people have reported actual volume decreases from audio therapies; I respond in a limited way to simple self-induced ACRN.

Certainly, a massage can also help with phantom pain, but it does NOT cure the symptoms. Same for T.
All those fancy sound therapy sellers are trying to sell you a special algorithm for your individual T, which does NOT exist and simply is BOGUS. It is a placebo effect!
The ticking clock in the silent room is annoying, but once you turn on the radio for a while the ticking doesn't seem to be so bothersome anymore. So essentially it doesn't matter what sound/music you use for masking. Rather it's a trial and error thingy.

Grounded in motor nerves?

NiNyu: I recall in one of your posts, you mentioned having "crackling" & "drill" sounding tinnitus? I read somewhere of this in research articles, which I cannot locate at this time. However, one site states this T is usually sinus - eustachian tube(s) related. In some patients they are sometimes stuck. I also do know there are MANY ototoxic prescriptions & over-counter meds causes T (many Drs. will deny this). However, one gastroenterologist gave me a lecture for ingesting NSAIDs &/or aspirin for migraines, resulting into chronic stomach ulcers (geez - more probs!). He said they were the worse - who knew? Then, an ENT informed me that most Depression meds cause tinnitus!!! (Ironically, prescribed by an Otoneuro. in the first place to "deal" with the hallucinatory "phantom" sounds). :banghead:
Only meds I now take is a "sedative" benzodiazepine (to cope) and specific vitamins.
Here's three helpful sites:
1. www(dot)jeffreywarber(dot)com/hc%20pages/tinnitus(dot)html
2. www(dot)hearinglosshelp(dot)com (Like this one - Dr. Neil appears genuine)
3. www(dot)tinnitusformula(dot)com/library/ototoxicity-medications-that-cause-tinnitus/#(dot)VRiU4cbFs_U

That said, some people have reported actual volume decreases from audio therapies; I respond in a limited way to simple self-induced ACRN.

Most reviews I've read have been about failures, though. In my book, audio therapies just doesn't make sense. If all it takes is sound on the right frequency to deliever a blow to the T, people would have stumbled on it already by chance.

I don't write of the possibility to manipulate the rebellic neurons in the auditory cortex by stimuli somehow, but to make a big difference, someone need to figure out something smarter than a loop of four beebs. I mean, having T-sufferers pay huge money to listen to a repetitive, dull sound seems like the reality version of selling sand to Bedouins.

You've been deaf for 40 years but just got tinnitus 3 months ago? I find that a bit hard to believe.

SoulStation: Yes - I am another example as well. My tinnitus developed after a head-injury concussion after 40 yrs of no tinnitus. I wore hearing-aids since age 2, and performed well in my "usual" daily routines till that tragic day.
It created a compounding effect of occasional pulsatile tinnitus, then head pressure and some other symptoms I'm not going to divulge, and my hearing-loss remained stable. Therefore, tinnitus was triggered by something else. After a CI (for tinnitus), it evolved to a 24 hr grinding, 10x worse tinnitus noise WITH total deafness = no enjoyable life.
I cannot mask it with anything now. Even my eyeballs vibrate from it - that's how bad it became AFTER a CI.
SO, YES - tinnitus occurs for different reasons, not just "hearing loss".

Most reviews I've read have been about failures, though. In my book, audio therapies just doesn't make sense. If all it takes is sound on the right frequency to deliever a blow to the T, people would have stumbled on it already by chance.
if it takes specific sounds at specific intervals that relate to synchronous neural firing, there is no reason to think that people would stumble on it by chance.

I admit that we appear to be a ways off from a useful cure for a large number of people, but there is increasing evidence that pure audio stimulation causes interesting neural reorganization, and I'm optimistic about where that will eventually lead.

Here's a tangentially related study from last year: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/np/2014/516163/

if it takes specific sounds at specific intervals that relate to synchronous neural firing, there is no reason to think that people would stumble on it by chance.

I admit that we appear to be a ways off from a useful cure for a large number of people, but there is increasing evidence that pure audio stimulation causes interesting neural reorganization, and I'm optimistic about where that will eventually lead.

Here's a tangentially related study from last year: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/np/2014/516163/

Thx.

I'll have a look at it.

Actually they did. AFAIK masking was discovered by chance. It's all trial and error.

Months of frustrating trial and error ensued, with Dr. Zeng's team conducting many unsuccessful sessions delivering high pitched tones through the implant. To everyone's great surprise, when a low pitched modulated tone was applied, Michael's tinnitus abated for the first time in years. He sat in the sound booth relishing the quiet..

Source,
http://www.ata.org/michaels-story

So how can any company claim to have a special algorithm for tailering a unique sound modulation for the individual's T frequency that can inhibit the corresponding neuronal activity in the auditory cortex? They used a low pitched modulated tone for Michael even though his T is a high pitched squeal. Neuromonics would have killed him. I'd go so far as to claim: if a sound does not give you any relief after 3 minutes listening it is simply the WRONG sound.

Actually they did. AFAIK masking was discovered by chance. It's all trial and error.

ACRN was devised based on what stimulation rates are theorized to decrease the synchronous oscillatory brain activity of tinnitus.

Having an interesting idea is a long way off from having a proven, workable treatment, but it's not the same thing as stumbling across useful masking frequencies or something.
So how can any company claim to have a special algorithm for tailering a unique sound modulation for the individual's T frequency that can inhibit the corresponding neuronal activity in the auditory cortex?

Well, you can claim anything you want, right? I claim that my tinnitus is the forever echoing cosmic sound of St George's sword cutting a dragon's head off... but, I don't really know anything about neuromonics. What I read was enough to make me lose interest.

ACRN does something for sure. Using it heavily for a period had some strange effects, notably the hallucination of beeps playing over a series of frequencies, shortly before sleep, hours after using it. It seems to have some beneficial effect if used more lightly, but I'm a little wary.

It looks like from what I have read they are proceeding with the Novartis trials of CGF166 in Kansas City. They are going to be dosing the next patients as quickly as the middle of May. How is that for good news!!!!!!!

It looks like from what I have read they are proceeding with the Novartis trials of CGF166 in Kansas City. They are going to be dosing the next patients as quickly as the middle of May. How is that for good news!!!!!!!
Really good news. Let's hope we may have even better news at summer time.

yes, it's likely, if you are now in the 20 ies, a cure will arrive when you are 40...
But maybe ha little cure will arrive sooner, at least something to hope!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now