Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

One more exciting development.
It's a further step from a discovery in 2005, where a researcher found out that deletion of RB1 Gene results in hair cell regeneration in the inner ear.
Now, 10 years later they are able to control this gene much better.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150611114208.htm#
This one is a long...long way off. They don't even know how the retinoblastoma gene leads to regeneration. Seems like something for 50 years from now. I"ll be dead so great for my grand kids.

This one is a long...long way off. They don't even know how the retinoblastoma gene leads to regeneration. Seems like something for 50 years from now. I"ll be dead so great for my grand kids.

I don't say it's a tomorrow's cure, ofcourse it will take some more time. But it's a piece of a puzzle and a good progress.
But yes, we don't know when...

How you found it? Browsing their web or are they promoting it somewhere?
I would donate but it could be bait, need more info

I just found it by returning to their page. I just knew they are doing research for a long time. I guess the institute is seriouse.
Their new campain released 12.June sounds promising and maybe a little to bright...
I wrote a mail to find out something about their approach. I guess they did a lot of research using nano particles to deliver medication, but I don't know what's really behind.

I just found it by returning to their page. I just knew they are doing research for a long time. I guess the institute is seriouse.
Their new campain released 12.June sounds promising and maybe a little to bright...
I wrote a mail to find out something about their approach. I guess they did a lot of research using nano particles to deliver medication, but I don't know what's really behind.
Have you donated?

Please let us know whats the idea behind it.

Please let us know what they write back... I'm willing to spend some money, but i need a rough idea how they want to achieve it.

Have you donated?
No, not yet, I mostly donate to Massachussetts Eye&Ear, they also make phantastic work.
But who knows, I first have to find out what they exactly researching..
I mean, if they are so certain, I guess it would be easy to find an investor put some milions to accelerate.
So I guess they have to fill the Gap of missing NIH grants.

Please let us know whats the idea behind it.

Please let us know what they write back... I'm willing to spend some money, but i need a rough idea how they want to achieve it.
if they write back, sure...
you can also ask, my English sounds not that good...

I do not know the Hough Ear Institute. I really hope this is no scam. But they ask for funding providing virtually no information on their project. Not a clue. Hair cell regeneration but how?
Of course, they may want to keep secret their findings, not give away their methods. But it makes donating hard...
And there are these words "possible", "potential" that we've heard before too many times.

We need more info.

I do not know the Hough Ear Institute. I really hope this is no scam. But they ask for funding providing virtually no information on their project. Not a clue. Hair cell regeneration but how?
Of course, they may want to keep secret their findings, not give away their methods. But it makes donating hard...
And there are these words "possible", "potential" that we've heard before too many times.

We need more info.

The Hough Ear Institute itself isn't scam at all. It's a non-profit organisation and Dr. Richard Kopke is well
known in the "scene".
I know exactly what you mean and I'm also very curious what approach the follow.
I general, there are many approaches and experiments for hair cell regeneration, but to do it in a mature
mammalian cochlea is still something to overcome. And so far, nobody got a restored hearing by hair cell regeneration.

But maybe if some people write these guys, they probably get some reply. Until now, I didn't.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...0604?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssHealthcareNews

I found this also.

This is starting to get more and more exciting. I really feel all of these companies are onto something.

good, seems to be a new player in the inner ear pharma companies.
I guess, this is a treatment for acute hearing loss targeting hair cells before they are dead.

It's maybe similar to Affichem, it's also a French company
http://www.affichem.com/hearing-loss

good, seems to be a new player in the inner ear pharma companies.
I guess, this is a treatment for acute hearing loss targeting hair cells before they are dead.

It's maybe similar to Affichem, it's also a French company
http://www.affichem.com/hearing-loss
Exciting stuff - it appears Affichem might complete preclinical work in Sept so can move intoc clinical trials - anyoneone know it that sounds right?

Anyone has any info about AF243?

It seems to be it's kind of the same type of deal as AM-101. For acute phases only. It claims to enchance neuronsurvival after trauma.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...0604?feedType=RSS&feedName=rbssHealthcareNews

I found this also.

This is starting to get more and more exciting. I really feel all of these companies are onto something.

More Info about this drug. It's to treat acute hearing loss (if it is severe) and it's taken orally.
Sensorion is a spinoff INSERM, which is also Partner of Affichem Pharma, so maybe it's their AF243 drug, but this is just speculation.
I wrote Affichem several times and never got answer.
http://www.finanzen.ch/nachrichten/...-Hearing-Following-Acoustic-Trauma-1000662087

I don't know. If those acute treatments end up working well I can only see tinnitus cure efforts lessened. Leaving us chronic sufferers.

No don't think so, acute treatments maybe won't cure Tinnitus 100%, so generally all stay with some chronic
left over... but we never know...
Same with acute treatment for hearing loss, test's are going from severe forms -70db and maybe have a success rate of 30db (wich is far better than nothing)...

So we don't know what's coming next, Science is researching in all directions and won't stop.
Researchers don't do research because of money, they won't get rich anyway, so there is a lot of
really good people interested in the field and with attitudes to help people.

I just want to come to this point where an ENT has something more to offer than look in your ears and say
you have to live with it!

Great find. Not only did they grow hair cells, but they grew in the right place. I'm getting more and more excited with the research and findings. I wonder if Novartis is watching all of these findings, since it seems they are the most interested out of the big pharma to find a cure.

Great find. Not only did they grow hair cells, but they grew in the right place. I'm getting more and more excited with the research and findings. I wonder if Novartis is watching all of these findings, since it seems they are the most interested out of the big pharma to find a cure.
Novartis is already attempting on a treatment for deaf people, using atoh1. It would be interesting to apply all these new findings to their treatment of course.

Seems like their main problem now is connecting the new hair cells to the neurons.
There is also a research going on for something like that, G.Corfas' research in neurotrophin and ribbon synapse regeneration. But it is unclear if it can be applied to new hair cells. It would be interesting to see all these findings working together...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now