Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration — Maybe We Can Know More

I do support any penny invested in hearing problems.. but in overall picture, small company, small invest, does not look so important to me.

As one of member has written, problem is that researchers do not have deadlines for their work, so they are motivated to do slow, and to be as long as it's possible on researches projects... pay every month...everyone happy, beside suffers..

As one of member has written, problem is that researchers do not have deadlines for their work, so they are motivated to do slow, and to be as long as it's possible on researches projects... pay every month...everyone happy, beside suffers..

Researchers absolutely do have deadlines. If you fail to produce any results or advancements in a reasonable time frame you will either get your funding cut if your work is financed by public grants. Repeated poor performance reviews as a scientist will also get you fired in the private sector.

Researchers absolutely do have deadlines. If you fail to produce any results or advancements in a reasonable time frame you will either get your funding cut if your work is financed by public grants. Repeated poor performance reviews as a scientist will also get you fired in the private sector.

I have never read anything about deadlines, even for autifony, that has be project that is making something real. Results of Phase II trial, aut team announced: 3Q of 2015, than until the end of 2105, than 1Q 2016, and now is middle of 2016.

What to talk than about research projects that are not in staging of producing any real treatment or drug. Like this one in Holland...it will take a years and years...no even single world about deadline, just words about investment.

What about SF34, what is deadline for starting, for phase I, or anything?

Nucleo,

Can you explain this in a little more detail?

Supposedly, the technology enbables supporting cells in the inner ear to mature into stereocilia. During this process the supporting cells do not undergo mitosis (cell division into 2 copies) and are therefore ''lost''.

Not much is known about supporting cells and their purpose so we can't predict what the longterm outcome of this can be. Does the cochlea fall appart when supporting cells are gone? Who knows.

Audion Therapeutics does look quite seriouse with an excellent background in hearing research.
Scientific Co Founder Albert Edge is a well known researcher at the Massachussetts Eye & Ear
They have rights to use Eli Lilly's compounds. With Horizon 2020 they are working with University of Tuebingen and
UCL Ear Institute and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
The Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary has an excellent inner ear research departement and further well colabotations with Draper Lab (inner ear delivery) and Boston Hospital and MIT and Stanford.
Ofcourse there is still nothing on the market which helps us, but I'm very excited to see the advances within
the last 10 years, and they are many.

So I see this funding to Audion very positive.

I do support any penny invested in hearing problems.. but in overall picture, small company, small invest, does not look so important to me.

researchers mostly won't get rich with their pioneer work. they work a lot and haven't ceo's salaries.
I'm certain, that many of these guys have ideals and morals and work for helping people not
only money and fame....

for example: read latest blog of the Heller's Lab at Stanford, it shows how hard they work and how bright these guys are:
https://hellerlab.stanford.edu/2015/06/june-update/

8 Milion investment for a pre clinical company is not bad at all. It's a quite small company so this investments will likely give them more freedom in research.
Exactly. All of these companies are experimental, and thus carry risk for the investors. These fundings are only to help them get the ball rolling... more investment will come as their products mature.

Inner Ear hair cell generation .
Only for hearing loss or help also for tinnitus?

All research and work concerning hair cell regeneration is still experimental and it's not clear
if it will work, the same for tinnitus.
But some researchers speculate, if the organ delivers or reestablish the connections again, tinnitus
could be lowered. But pure speculation, since nobody got a relevant treatment.

If new technology can repair damaged hair cells that are causing brain confusing through pontassium channels, than i think there is highly possibility 99% that t. will stop! (of course if t.is induced by hearing loss)

This article might by interesting. It's about myelin and hearing loss...
So at the end there is a chart with Vitamins and stuff who might help repair (maybe in acute stage)
http://knowledgeofhealth.com/lack-of-vitamin-a-may-be-overlooked-root-of-tinnitus-and-hearing-loss/

I cam across this article because of this one here which describe the myelin with hearing loss:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/

Most important part, it could be beneficial for someone to try with vit. A

Capturetr.PNG

Tomytl:
Very interesting link....
a clear sign that this research (this path) has evolved a lot ... and for the better!

My first post here / but very hopeful on this search...
To all members:
Cheers,
Ricardo

at Stanford they have regrown hearing hair cells with stem cells but their goal is to cure human deafness in 10 years. do the current stem cell treatments in Germany and Thailand help hearing loss from antibiotic or noise damage? I'm horribly handicapped and afraid I can't teach anymore

Technology will advance, because money can be made with it. 50 years ago, there was no cable TV or FIOS, only broadcasting through air. Now it's the only option. 35 Years ago, CD's were starting to appear and records and cassettes were disappearing. 25 years ago, DVD's were replacing VHS tapes. 20 years ago, routers were replacing dial-up modems, 15 years ago, digital cameras, almost eliminated film and film processing. Etc., etc.

If new drugs and new proceedures advance far enough, to where hearing can be fully restored or T cured, Nothing will stop it.

Hearing device companies, recognizing changing times, will diversify into other markets and technologies, to stay afloat or fail to stay in business. Because, somewhere in the future, there will be no market for hearing aids at all.

Technology will advance, because money can be made with it. 50 years ago, there was no cable TV or FIOS, only broadcasting through air. Now it's the only option. 35 Years ago, CD's were starting to appear and records and cassettes were disappearing. 25 years ago, DVD's were replacing VHS tapes. 20 years ago, routers were replacing dial-up modems, 15 years ago, digital cameras, almost eliminated film and film processing. Etc., etc.

If new drugs and new proceedures advance far enough, to where hearing can be fully restored or T cured, Nothing will stop it.

Hearing device companies, recognizing changing times, will diversify into other markets and technologies, to stay afloat or fail to stay in business. Because, somewhere in the future, there will be no market for hearing aids at all.

I agree with u, but there u need to see all that u wrote little bit closer.

Many companies that were producing VHS video players, started to produce DVD players. Also companies that produced dial up modems, moved their technology to producing router. Companies that produces cameras with film, moved their process to producing digital cameras. So no one was destroyed in economic way.

Hearing aids industry is more tha 10.000.000.000 $ yearly. It is not small amount of money, and they will be destroyed with hearing regeneration. So, it is so logic that they will do all that they can to slow process of hearing cell regeneration (at least for worldwide population).

https://www.novartis.com/stories/discovery/can-we-unlock-bodys-ability-regenerate-lost-hearing

Novartis is doing this research... I think novartis is the second or third largest pharmaceutical company in the world. I think they for sure can break the hearind aids lobby. Because they know how much revenue (if this project it it works) this process can bring.

Hearing loss is going to be a major medical emergency (huge market) in a few years. People are living much longer, and the world is much much more nosier (ipod use and abuse, festivals concerts go discos etc)

Many companies that were producing VHS video players, started to produce DVD players. Also companies that produced dial up modems, moved their technology to producing router. Companies that produces cameras with film, moved their process to producing digital cameras. So no one was destroyed in economic way.

Hearing aids industry is more tha 10.000.000.000 $ yearly. It is not small amount of money, and they will be destroyed with hearing regeneration. So, it is so logic that they will do all that they can to slow process of hearing cell regeneration (at least for worldwide population).

While I respect your opinion about hearing aids companies and probably that might have some slowing influence
they also know that this research are the future. I think they will maybe turn to hearing companies and
probably offer some combinations of hearing aids and hearing treatments, nobody knows...

I just found this article from Amplifon, so they also expect some change in the game.
http://www.amplifon.co.uk/hearing-aids/hearing-aids-explained/history-and-future-of-hearing-aids/

@markoana

I actually didn't mentioned any companies being destroyed by technology advancements, just that technology cannot be stopped.

My last paragraph keys in on hearing aid companies, to stay on topic. I said they "will" diversify into other markets or "if" not would fail to stay in business.

Companies like Siemens, probably wouldn't even blink if they lost or sold their hearing aid business, because the're already so large and diversified, plus very profitable.

at Stanford they have regrown hearing hair cells with stem cells but their goal is to cure human deafness in 10 years. do the current stem cell treatments in Germany and Thailand help hearing loss from antibiotic or noise damage? I'm horribly handicapped and afraid I can't teach anymore

Yes, the Stanford Project to Cure hearing loss is an amazing project with some of the best researchers in the field.
I read that pharma giant Roche has it's tentacles out there too (I'm not sure how much)
http://www.versantventures.com/
http://www.versantventures.com/case-studies/inception-3-inc/
http://www.inceptionsci.com/

So all bigger pharma companies are supporting very different approaches for inner ear treatments.
Eli Lilly (Audion Therapeutics)
Novartis (Genvec)
Roche (Inception Sciences)

Tomytl:
Very interesting link....
a clear sign that this research (this path) has evolved a lot ... and for the better!

My first post here / but very hopeful on this search...
To all members:
Cheers,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,
welcome here at this great forum. I look forward for further intersting exchange.

Greets Tom

In fact (i agree) all lobby in this "business" may slow the success of these researches but....
it is quite evident that after anyone knows that can restore hearing loss in a "natural" way will never choose mechanical alternatives (earing devices as good quality sound it could ever offer) i guess...

And i think also is in our hands to promote all this news to everyone we know (in our countries)....
In my case (Portugal) generally no one even dreams that these kind of researches are happen / many conforms to wear hearing aids because it is stipulated (definitely) there is nothing else to do! (T as well...)

Cheers

Hi Ricardo,
welcome here at this great forum. I look forward for further intersting exchange.

Greets Tom

Yes! Thank you for welcome...and a bigger thanks for your dedication and information posted here....
Gives hope for all of us for sure!
Cheers,
Ricardo

Yes! Thank you for welcome...and a bigger thanks for your dedication and information posted here....
Gives hope for all of us for sure!
Cheers,
Ricardo

Thank you Ricardo!
I'm collection informations about hair cell regeneration since about 12 years. While everything takes endless long
(especially from a sufferes point of view) the field has amazingly developed.
In 2003, there only company dedicated to hair cell regeneration was Sound Pharmaceutical. Around this time I read an article I guess it was the Wall Street Journal, that in 2015 there will be a treatment for regeneration on the market and they also will do the same with eyes. As we know, it didn't happened and their piple line state seems to be at the same position like 12 year ago.
Luckely there are now more and more companies and labs working on this and compared to 2003 there is really
a lot stuff... and the discovery from 2004/2005 is now in a trial led by Novartis...

So let's hope and yes it's importat that people and even ENT's are learning about this.

Greets Tom

Thank you Ricardo!
I'm collection informations about hair cell regeneration since about 12 years. While everything takes endless long
(especially from a sufferes point of view) the field has amazingly developed.
In 2003, there only company dedicated to hair cell regeneration was Sound Pharmaceutical. Around this time I read an article I guess it was the Wall Street Journal, that in 2015 there will be a treatment for regeneration on the market and they also will do the same with eyes. As we know, it didn't happened and their piple line state seems to be at the same position like 12 year ago.
Luckely there are now more and more companies and labs working on this and compared to 2003 there is really
a lot stuff... and the discovery from 2004/2005 is now in a trial led by Novartis...

So let's hope and yes it's importat that people and even ENT's are learning about this.

Greets Tom

Eyes treatments have grown so much, and developed their success, since 2000, but hearing almost nothing useful...
So, i doubt that this treatment of regeneration is gonna become reality in next 10 years. Hope I am wrong, but..

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now